1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

10 Records Every Record Collection Must Have

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by mow, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mow

There is only one rule in this thread

DONT MENTION ACCLAIMED ALBUMS!

The entire point is posting a list of records that are superb, yet there is a 99% chance no one has heard of them. Dont mention The beatles, GSY!BE, The Smiths, Opeth, The Roots etc etc etc. Everyone has heard of such bands (even if they havent heard the records). Try not to mention bands previously discussed in the music dept.

also, talk a bit about your picks too.

Ill post my list in bit.

Tags:
  2. Nybarius

Hmm, just how acclaimed is acclaimed? For instance, I think that anybody even marginally interested in hardcore hip-hop should have a copy of Big L's "Lifestylez of the Poor and Dangerous"--does it have to be in a double-sized issue of Rolling Stone to be considered "acclaimed," or is being well-known by the heads that know enough?

3. mow

Ah see, Mentioning Big L would be perfect in this list, becuase if someone isnt a hardcore Hiphopper, its very likely the havent heard of it.

Acclimed would be albums that any commoner (lol?) would know. You know those lists, they always mention Radiohead, beatles, the who, U2, etc.
    I want REAL unearthed gems that entire nations are missing out on.

4. Voynich

XDDDDD

Cock Sparrer - Running Troops & Running Riot in '84
    First British oi!punk band, but released when the punk genre really started catching on.

( well not really like you should HAVE it, but someone's bound to like it ;p)
    I'll edit this when moe updated his rules XD

Maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map
    Colin loves it, I love it. Need any other info?

5. cloin

Ozric Tentacles - Waterfall Cities

Darediablo - Bedtime Stories

Ruins - Tzomborgha

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand Opening and Closing

Pelican - Australasia

Tenhi - Vare

Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

Klimt 1918 - Undressed Momento

Etnica - The Juggling Alchemist Under the Black Light

Anglagard - Epilog

6. metronomy

Art Brut - 'Bang, Bang, Rock & Roll'

Art Brut, through their thoroughly unpretentious embrace of pretentiousness, are the most punk new band I've heard in years, punk having lost itself long ago to the pretentiousness of unpretentiousness. They combine Britpop-influenced tunes with sarcastic observation, and despite Argos being nearly incapable of carrying a tune, you do find yourself shouting along because musically Art Brut are undeniably catchy and lyrically they're a treat.

So even though Argos lyrics boasts of wanting to "write the song/ That makes Israel and Palestine get along," and planning to perform Art Brut's hit eight weeks in a row on "Top of the Pops", any chance you might take him seriously is deflated by the little meta-moments.

But most of all, the reason this album is so great is that Art Brut must be admired for taking potshots at both obsessive music fans ("My Little Brother") who take their favourite bands far too seriously and at Indie bands themselves ("Formed a Band") who think that their music is the answer to all the world's troubles. Plus they do it in a very entertaining way.

7. mow

My List

Polmo Polpo - Like Hearts Swelling

Sandro Perri is a genius. This record is utter post-rock orgasmic bliss.

Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production Of Eggs

Imagine a violon prodigy who happens to love singing and playing the guitar with an unusual style that is dumbfounding. You Get Andrew Bird.
    Lush, eloquent, folky and dazzling compostions, and even though his music is astonshing and remarkableand, the best aspect of it are the lyrics. You have to hear it to believe it.

Busdriver - Temporary Forever

Though Bonethugs "N" Harmony had fast flow? Think again. Allow me to introudce Busdriver, an underground hiphop God who happens to have the fastest flow on the planet. The Bjork of hiphop IMO. He's extremely jazz influenced, which is obvious in his tracks as well as his lyrical style. He's hilarious, intellectual, self-deprecating, and just a flat-out unbelievable rapper.

Lifesavas - Spirit In Stone

Easily my most fav hiphop record of all time. VURSATYLs flow is unrivaled, and the group as a whole has raised the bar on what socially conscious, positive, mature hip hop should be. Sure, they're anti-abortion, but it's just their personal belief; there's nothing dogmatic about it, it's just part of their philosophy, and they only mention it maybe twice in a solid hour of some of the finest hip hop you'll ever come across.

The Be Good Tanyas - Chinatown

Unfucking believeable. Three amazing women playing neo-Americana with unbelievable skill. Their cover of Led Zeppelin's House Of The Rising Sun and In My Time Of Dying are fantastic

More to come.

8. Nybarius

Okay, here goes!

Artist: Title -- Comments

--
    Hip-hop / Rap

Main Source: Breaking Atoms -- A classic album from start to finish, and moreover one which actually works as an ALBUM. Despite featuring the first commercial track Nas spit on, it is overlooked because it came during a very good year. Incidentally, Live at the BBQ contains the line "when I was 12, I went to hell for snuffing Jesus," which forms the chorus of the Big L track "Devil's Son," mentioned below.

Big L: Lifestylez ov da Poor and Dangerouz -- I think that Big L is one of the most technically proficient MCs, ever, bar none. Forget Tupac, NYC holds the crown; listen to this album (preferably topped off with the remix of Gangstarr's "Work" with an extra added L verse, the song "Devil's Son," and the infamous seven minute freestyle feat Big L and Jay-Z. It's too bad he wasn't just making up all the gangsta; if he were still alive today, I think the face of rap might be very different -- DiTC would probably be up there with Rock-a-fella.

Eclectic:

Tom Waits: Rain Dogs -- I think it's the most representative Tom Waits album, nicely straddling his early Asylum ballads as well as his more experimental, Dark Rider / Bone Machine type stuff. He's essential, so I had to pick something.

Captain Beefheart: Doc at the Radar Station -- Everybody's always falling over themselves to hype up "Trout Mask Replica," but I think they're missing the mark. I prefer Mr. Vliet's abstract 80s style, which finds its best representive here. If you enjoy this, you should check out "Ice Cream for Crow" and "Lick my Decals off, Baby" as well.

'Electronica'

Plastikman: Sheet One -- Richie Hawtin (aka Plastikman) ushers you on a journey inward. I would largely credit this album as weaning me off of needing the distraction of words and lyrics in my music. Random tidbit: once upon a time I lived in a loft in BK with three roommates, and we would occassionally throw parties, as one of my roomies worked for a sound company and so hooked the place up with massive speakers. Well, who should show up but Richie Hawtin, who had then just moved to Northern Williamsburg, causing the dude performing a live PA (I think it was his first time in front of a crowd this big, too) to crap his pants, I'm sure.

LTJ Bukem: Journey Inwards -- The title speaks for itself, also thought I'd throw this in because it might just be the only reason out there not to hate "ambient dnb".

Amon Tobin: Permutations -- All sorts of tasty Brazilian drum-patterns pounded into your head, straight up, no chaser. If you ask me, it's a classic (once upon a time I listened to this so much I had just about every drum pattern memorized, although I'll be damned if I could perform anything close to'em...)

Musicals

Steven Sondbergh: Assassins (I think the 2004 Broadway Revival version is the one to get) -- Some of our most famous murderers finally get a voice . . . in song. I don't know about you, but once I read a description of it I had to have it.

Jazz

Joe Hisaishi: 'Brother' (MMP soundtrack) -- this represents the finest fruit of Beat Takeshi's disappointing attempt to make a movie working with the US studio system. It packs all the atmosphere and emotion of a Raymond Chandler novel enjoyed over a couple pack of cigarettes while getting over a bad-luck dame with gams that just don't quit. Too bad the movie wasn't nearly as good.

Rock, or something similar

Elvis Costelo: Armed Forces -- He's such a prolific song-writer that any one album which doesn't have something to recommend it, such as being a freshman or sophomore attempt or showcasing the artist "goin' country" (his country album wasn't horrible, but not nearly as good as this). I think this album deserves to be singled out. It's a concept album that actually works (the theme is the intersection of love & war); this alone puts it on a level far above most albums. Also, it contains a couple immortal songs, like "Oliver's Army." Though "My Aim is True" and "This Year's Model" usually get the nod, I think this is the album where Declan really came into his own. ... I was really tempted to mention "Imperial Bedroom" if I brought up Costello, since it's more obscure, but it's also more hit and miss--as I see it, it's not a staple-food, it's a delicacy you get a craving for every now and then.

9. martryn

My Epitaph loyalty choices:
    (I hope these are obscure enough, they're all punk-influenced, and I haven't heard of anyone else talking about them, except the Distillers, everyones heard of them)

Motion City Soundtrack
    I Am the Movie
    Commit This to Memory
    The only two albums from my current favorite band. They have such a unique sound, but I don't think many people have heard of them yet. I think I would label them as punk-pop, but I've never been good at that sort of thing. They have some very stylish guitar punctuated by a very electric sounding keyboard. And the vocals are very... driven?

Divisoin of Laura Lee
    Black City
    Das Not Compute
    From Sweden, often compared to the Hives, but they are incredibly different. All their songs have this pronounced beat, and it always seems as if they're going to go into this massive... whatever it is when rockbands sing a chorus... but they never do. I think their latest single premiered on one of the MTV's, but that might have just been a rumor. Das Not Compute is a little faster pace compared to Black City, sort of as if the band was given some coffee or something between the first and second albums.

Matchbook Romance
    Stories and Alibis
    My guilty pleasure. All the songs seem to deal with break-ups and lost love. There is some definite skill involved here, though. Very powerful guitar, leading to powerful choruses, and provacative lyrics which are simple and complex at the same time. And then, the songs die down and there are moments of silence and the next song gently rolls around. It seems to me like waves on the ocean.

The Distillers
    Sing, Sing Death House
    (Everyone should have heard of these guys) This is a throwback to the early days of punk. Nothing stands out really in this album from other punk albums except one thing: the raw emotion put into every hoarse word sung/yelled by Brody Armstrong, who is in my opinion, deadly HOT! Its so... rough and abrasive that you have to hear it. In the age of pop-punk, its refreshing to see someone take us home.

And finally...
    The Matches
    E. Von Dahl Killed the Locals
    I am quite convinced that the only people to have heard of The Matches are myself and the bassist from Green Day. They have one music video out that I hear plays on Fuse, but I don't ever have a chance to watch Fuse. The band is all about fun. The songs are all very enjoyable and I can't think of anyone (other than my father) who would not enjoy the album immensely. When I listen to them, I always feel as if I'm in some warehouse listening to them live. They just seem like that sort of band.

10. Nybarius

Here are some more:

The Gravediggaz - Six Feet Deep (UK title: Niggamortis)

Stetsasonic - On Fire

BDP --- Sex and Violence;
    The Blueprint of Hip-hop Music;
    Live Hardcore Worldwide

Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash

De La Soul - De la Soul is Dead (I consider this their "white album")

Shoulders - Trashman Shoes

Javier Solis - Sombras

11. mow

That brought a grin on my face :amuse. You are one of two people who called it that =]

Great posts by everyone. Im still running through my lists to add more.

12. Wierd Divide

Agreed, can't help smirking to their cheeky lyrics. "stay off the crack" hehe

The Cribs - The New Fellas. An indie-rock band that's so full of energy and catchy tunes that you can't help join in with them on their shouty lyrics.

13. Meijin

Larry Harlow - Electric Harlow

DeFacto - Megaton Shotblast!

and

The Dregtones - 5 Song Alibi [EP] (Not an album I know, but its wonderful)

14. Jef88

the curse - atreyu

15. BlueCheese

Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
    Skinnyman - Council Estate of Mind (One of my favourite Hip Hop albums ever!)

16. skunkworks

Edan - Beauty and the Beat

Hippity-hop.

Edit: Sorry about the triple post, stupid internet.

17. spinstate

*bump*

Nujabes - Metaphorical Music

K'Naan - Dusty Foot Philosopher

Mew - Frengers

Thievery Corporation - Richest Man in Babylon

Cursive - The Ugly Organ

18. Arty

Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy
    Whenever I listen to this Sufjan Stevens fellow, all I can think of is early 70s psychadelic singer/songwriter Kevin Ayers, and then I just put this album on. Any fan of the dude should hear this, which is just about everyone.

Fela Kuti - Zombie
    Maybe semi well known now in these parts, this is probably his best album and one of the best albums of all time.

Elvis Costello - Blood and Chocolate
    One of his only albums with absolutely no singles or videos, this has to be one of his most obscure ones. And boy, is it his best. Costello abandons the 80s keyboard sound and goes into a clangy psychadelic nirvana, writing some of the best songs I have ever heard.

Miles Davis - Elevator To The Gallows
    Miles Davis, arty? Are you retarded? No, but this is probably Miles Davis' least known and one of his best albums. Probably have an extra love for it since it's a classic movie soundtrack and every track reminds me of every moment of that great movie, but still an amazing album on it's own. What I am saying here maybe is watch Elevator To The Gallows.

Ali Farka Toure - Radio Mali
    A hauntingly beautiful album all the way through, and definitely one of my favorite Blues albums, even though Ali didn't like calling his genre that.

Son House - The Delta Blues Sessions
    Same thing as above, Son House is near the end of his lifespan and just letting it all out into one gigantic CD of awesome. He does all his classics and his slide guitar fumbles while his voice cracks. It's a beautiful piece of work.

Wire - Pink Flag
    Not that obscure, but if anyone is a fan of 70s punk or any punk in the slightest, this album is a must. So good girl band Elastica stole the entire song "Three Girl Rhumba" in the 90s and got sued for it.

PIL - 1st Issue
    Their first and best effort, Jon Lydon's sex pistols followup. A mix of new wave and raw punk, it's a completely innovaitive album and every song is totally different. Awesome.

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
    Near when he went insane. Syd Barrett's lesser known solo album is so great that sometimes when I listen to it my ears turn into candy.

The Kinks - Give The People What They Want
    Nobody bought this album because nobody cared about 80s Kinks. But it is great. And awesome.

19. Hagen

Wha--??

My list. Sort em as you like.

Kyuss - Blues for the red sun
    Kayo dot - choirs of the eye
    Mother love bone - Mother love bone
    The Birthday party - junkyard
    Tito & Tarantula - tarantism
    Corcobado - tormenta de tormento
    Maudlin of the well-leaving your body map
    Pride & Glory - selftitled
    Noir desir - 666.667 club
    Madredeus - oporto

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  20. Yosha

does vinyl's or cds? dont matter?

Portugal. The man-"Waiter: You Vultures!"
    As tall as lion-Lafacadio
    copeland-in motion
    bright eyes- a collection of songs written
    bright eyes-lua
    showbread-No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical

will edit with more....

21. Pretty_Vacant

The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
    Another Pogues album was mentioned, 'Rum, Sodomy And The Lash', and I agree very much that it has been overlooked! If I Should Fall From Grace With God boasts the number 2 Christmas masterpeice; Fairytale Of New York (for no good reason the number one place was stolen :notrust) It's also got some other amazing tracks, eg Thousands Are Sailing, Fiesta, The Broad Majestic Shannon and the title track itself. Get it bought! :nuts

Joe Strummer And The Mescaleros - Streetcore
    Near enough any CD by these guys is worth buying, because all the tracks on their albums aren't just there to fill up space. Each track is fantastic, with it's own meaning or story, and the band itself should have been recognised whilst Joe was still living. I chose this album particularly because it has simply amazing tracks on it. The Bob Marley cover 'Redemption Song' completes the album for me. It just seems that the only thing it's missing is 'Johnny Appleseed' from the equally amazing 'Global A Go-Go' CD. A compilation must be made, me thinks!

There are more somewhere else in my brain, but these just spring to mind at the moment :amuse

22. kapsi

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    Talking Heads - Fear of Music
    Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
    Talking Heads - Little Creatures
    Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
    Talking Heads - 77
    Talking Heads - True Stories
    Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads

And last but not least:
    Talking Heads - Sand In The Vaseline

23. Arty

WHERE IS TALKING HEADS - NAKED YOU SON OF A BITCH

24. cygnus

Mahavishnu Orchestra - the Inner Mounting Flame

and a Mars Volta album

....that is all....

25. Brother Wayne Kramer

Oh my God, how did i miss this thread?
    Moe, i know a guy who made out with the lead guy of polmo polpo. same guy who did blow with GSY!BE, actually.
    Anyways, i'm gonna have to suggest a couple albums.

A Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-la-la Band - Horses In The Sky: a completely sublime album. Pretty much the best post-rock album to be released in the past couple years.

alright, how about
    Lucero - The Attic Tapes: my favorite alt-country/bluegrass album. ever. Recorded in the attic of one of the band member's father's house. Every song is slow, pretty, and completely heart-wrenching. If you buy this album on vinyl, it comes with a free 7" of their first demo. The demo alone is worth the price of the album, as it has my two favorite songs by this band on it. The first is a cover of the jawbreaker song "Kiss The Bottle", which is absolutely amazing, and the b side is an original called "My Best Girl". If you have a heart at all, listen to this album.

and lastly,
    Hella - Hold Your Horse Is: most insane album i own. It actually says right on the cd case that "warning: this album will change the way you look at music". they weren't kidding. the entire album will explode your brain. Think Dillinger Escape Plan, but a two peice, just guitar and drums, and the drummer doesn't play a double kick, and is in fact more insane.

26. IkariBattousai

Dream Theater- Scenes From A Memory

27. DragonSlayer

no.

just no.

everyone knows about dream theater.

28. IkariBattousai

29. DragonSlayer

I know Dream Theater is not mainstream and there are a lot of people who don't know about them. But I think the purpose of this topic is to post albums which people like us, who know this and that about music, haven't heard of. Something which is 5 times more obscure than Dream Theater.

I might be wrong though!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  30. Brother Wayne Kramer

no no, you're right.
    they have to be bands that you have little chance of knowing unless you're pretty versed in the scene of the respective genre.