1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice

1st Manga Clean!

Discussion in 'Art Lounge' started by NaraShikamaru, Sep 26, 2006.

1. NaraShikamaru

Sorry, wasn't too sure where to put this, so I just posted it here XD

I just started reading a tutorial on how to clean a manga page. So, (Instead of going to sleep for school :p) i decided to try it out.

I turned this page: Not Cleaned

Into this page: Cleaned

I was pretty pleased with the results concidering its my first go. Its not perfect and i really need to improve (making the straight lines into gutter and cloning) are a few examples :oh

Im gonna keep practicing and maybe someday i could get good enough to join a group

D:

EDIT: Updated the clean so it looks more... Well, cleaner :p

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
    Tags:
  2. bloodstains

3. Azurite

I think i can do that....... Duplicate Layer, Blur and Overlay? :S good job, i really like it :leepose 9.10

4. Rockafeller

-------
    Nice job though.

5. rolobio

pretty good for a first time! heres a few suggestions...

borders, you really have to have borders, they're quite easy to make (i'm going to assume you have photoshop) grab your Marquee Selection Tool, and grab the area of the borders, press 'shift' to add to your selection, then grab all of the borders, i'd do one for the top right one, and the bottom two, the main frame seems to not have one on purpose (i'm not too sure though because i've never read that manga) then right click and say 'stroke' and give it a 3px black stroke to give it a nice clean edge. But as you may have noticed RAW manga have crappy pixlated borders, just make a new layer above your original layer, but below your borders and fill in where the old border goes out of the new, and inside as well... but dont run into anything inside the borders such as a character or something...

also, if you want to make it look a lot better redraw the missing character parts such as the woman's nose and ear and such (in the middle frame) to go to the edge of your new border, this will make it more complete and make it look much cleaner.

in the middle frame, there appears to be a halftone gradient (dotted stuff used when printing) go to your layer you used to fix the old borders and color over that with white, then grab your Marquee Selection Tool, and grab the area where the gradient used to be, (i'd use the Polygon Lasso Tool for a more exact selection) then grab your Gradient Tool (under your Fill Tool, paint bucket thingy) and make sure your gradient goes from Black to White, and drag from right to left and release on that selection, this will give you a new clean gradient free of Halftone... which looks bad on screen...

and you just deleted some parts of the manga, i'd use the Warp Tool to bend that stuff back into shape ;)

anyways just a few suggestions for you! you did a good job for a first time, feel free to PM me if you need any more help! ^^;