1. img
    Enter in the Alley Banner Contest!
    Deadline for entries is December 15th.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Fitness 2019 Workout Thread!

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by Kitsune, Jun 25, 2015.

1. perman07

Sounds like I'm stronger with less muscle:maybeWell, I'm not that strong for upper body lifts, can only max like 250 lbs for bench for instance. Maybe cause of differences in training styles, or genetics, or both...
    For the belt not to block my ability to extend my back at the bottom. Personal morphological problem in the deadlift. I wear it normally for squats.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Moritsune

Lol, I won't deny that, my philosophy is to use the lightest weight possible to elicit the growth you desire. I'm in it long term for aesthetics, as the weight you lift goes up so does the chance of injury.

Ah, fair enough.

3. perman07

Can't argue with the injury risk thing, though I haven't even had a single significant tweak for almost 2 years now with increasing weights.

By focusing on lifting with more reps in the tank, focusing less on forcing progress and more on picking the right process where progress just happens, and just switching exercises when areas of the body hurt too much, strength work doesn't feel very risky to me at least. Though I might have a different opinion in a decade or two...
    If you've ever heard of deadlift belts, they're narrower to allow more space at the pelvis/stomach-area so you can get a good starting position. I'd rather not carry two belts around though:pek

4. Moritsune

Yeah, in general I think that progressive overload is safe, so long as the emphasis is always on proper form. There's no denying that higher weight will place more stress on the body though, and while you may get away with an ugly rep here and there at lighter weight it only takes one bad rep at a high weight to be debilitating. Really only have to look at Ronnie Coleman for an example of what massive loads on the body can do to you.

Ah, yeah, I've always had trouble feeling comfortable deadlifting with a belt, so I never use one.

5. perman07

Off the top of my head, I'd ditch shrugs. Training for multiple qualities is all about minimalism and efficiency. If shrugs do anything that deadlifts and OHP don't do, it aint much. My impression is that silly Alphadestiny guy on youtube has the right idea with yolo shrugs and rack pulls for insane weight to build big traps, but that requires an actual training priority which you don't seem to have.

Secondly, there's science indicating that cardio and strength work mutes each other if done in the same session. If you're doing 5-6 sessions a week anyway, it might help to ditch the run at the end. The reason you would do that though is if recovery is bad So if you're feeling overwhelmed by this program, I'd try ditching the run, and seeing if that helps.

Ideally, they say cardio and strength work should be separated by 3-6 hours because the induce competing adaptations, so if you have days where you'd willing to insert additional short sessions, maybe do a 30 minute jog on it's own then?

6. Raiden Moderator

Got in a late night run yesterday. Was awesome.

7. Ral

Flag:
    United States, Puerto Rico

Shrugs IMO is more for those who want that "define" aesthetic look and build on those upper traps. Just take a look at these heavyweight boxers:

It would make sense for them to have bigger traps because of their belt class as even those who bulk up tend to want bigger traps as well. I started focusing on my traps more because as you can see from my progress pics previously posted, my body doesn't look right with the lack of upper trap size. In @savior2005's case, you can still work on traps but most importantly depending on your fitness goals as delts and traps typically go hand-in-hand because without the other (IMHO ofc) it just doesn't look right.

As far as cardio is concerned, if I'm going hard at the gym, which I typically do nowadays, I do LISS for about 30 mins 3 days out of the week. One other day out of my week I do about 30 mins of HIIT and go as hard as I can on the sprint periods. I either do this early in the morning or immediately post-workout. The post-workout typically doesn't work for everyone because you feel tired AF after an already intense weight training. So in turn, you can always do 20-30 min of cardio pre-workout to get your blood pumping and aid in reducing soreness.

When I first started working out, I felt good because I had tons of energy stored from the fat I had back then (I was 179bs 5-6 months ago, and now I'm 161lbs). This is where nutrition and diet come into play as I am strict and consistent with both of these. Because my goal is to get RIPPED AF, I created my fitness program that caters to and centers around this goal.

I would like to share my custom supplement and diet plan in my next post that has proven results for myself after 5-6 months of going ham and learning the crazy sciences behind this fit life.

I would also like to state that this is all my personal opinion and what has worked for someone like me who has struggled with grasping the concept of weight loss and muscle growth for months. Even before this stretch, I had attempted this fit life in the past and only lasted about a month.

All-in-all, it takes time, dedication, persistence, consistency research, etc...no trainer, unless you are paying for their time, will tell you how to get things done and will most likely not help you figure this out on your own. It's just one of those many things that people keep to themselves and me for one am not that kind of person.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  8. Ral

Flag:

Spoiler: DIET:

* All food measured cooked except oats and egg whites
    * Eat every 2-4 hours!! (Or your stomach will give you the business in the form of hunger pains :()
    * Diet soda and zero cals drinks are OK (I stay away from soda overall because they make me want to crave the actual sugared down version)
    - Vitaminwater Zero is amazing and I drink it when I'm craving for sugar crack (happens very often because of my previous lifestyle)
    * Black coffee and unsweetened tea are OK!
    * Zero calorie salt and seasonings are OK!
    * Any zero-calorie condiments or sauces are OK (Mustard, Hot sauce, etc )
    * Artificial Sweeteners are OK (Splenda, Stevia, Truvia )
    * Minimum 1-gallon fluids per day (Can also add zero-cal flavour to water if you can't down water to the point that you get tired of it)
    * I eat 2 cut-up kiwi's 2 hours before bed and has improved me going to sleep sooner and my sleep health overall.

TRAINING DAYS (Weight Training)
    Meal 1: 12 oz egg whites, 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana
    Meal 2: 6 oz turkey (97/3 or leaner), 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup broccoli
    Meal 3: 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, 4 oz sweet potato, 1 cup green beans
    Meal 4: 6 oz 93/7 beef, 1/2 cup brown rice, 5 asparagus spears
    Meal 5: 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, 4 oz sweet potato, 1 cup broccoli

OFF DAYS (No weight training, cardio ONLY count as off days)
    Meal 1: 4 whole eggs
    Meal 2: 6 oz 97/3 turkey, 1 oz almonds, 1 cup broccoli
    Meal 3: 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, 2 tbs natural peanut butter, 1 cup green beans
    Meal 4: 6 oz 93/7 ground beef, 5 asparagus spears
    Meal 5: 2 scoops whey protein, 2 tbs natural peanut butter

PRE-WORKOUT: I create my own blend of pre-workout because stuff like C4, LIT, etc gives me crazy anxiety from hearing my heart race and I don't like that.
    Spoiler: DA BLEND (Does not include BCAA, but you can add it too, it doesn't really matter)

DURING WORKOUT: 1 scoop BCAA, GLUTAMINE, JOINT SUPPORT.

POST-WORKOUT: 2 scoop WHEY PROTEIN (MyProtein Impact Whey) + 1 banana (ez carbz)

Spoiler: SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS:

General Health (Morning routine intake)
    Multivitamin - One A Day Gummies for Men
    Beet Root capsules - 1 serving (1200 MG of herbs per serving)
    Omega 3 Fish Oil (Store brand is just as effective)

Performance
    BCAA, GLUTAMINE, & JOINT SUPPORT - 1 scoop before, during, or after a workout (I prefer before because too much liquid, especially with flavour makes me feel uneasy and acid reflux sometimes kicks in for some reason which is ??? ???)
    Custom Pre-workout Blend (Works for me, gives me a natural pump, and does not attempt to scare the shit out of me due to palpitations lmao)
    Pro TEST PM (2 capsules at night to promote sleep and keep me lookin' RITE)
    WHEY PROTEIN (Any flavour really, DOES NOT NEED TO BE ISOLATE).

Spoiler: CARDIO (Choose 3 days for LISS and 1 day for HIIT):

LISS (Low-Intensity Steady State ) - Should be performed first thing in the morning or immediately postworkout. Treadmill, rowing machine, elliptical, bike, or outside or Stairmaster, swimming is fine here too. Heart rate 110-140.

HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) - Should be performed immediately postworkout or later in the day. Not fasted first thing in the morning. Bike, rowing machine, treadmill, elliptical or Stairmaster, or outside or swimming is fine here too. 1 rotation is 30 seconds sprint, 60 seconds steady pace. Make sure you are going as hard as you can during the "sprint" periods.

Please forgive me if this is too tl;dr but I can also share my workouts as well. You just gotta keep consistent really, cut out junk food, soda, etc and after like 3-4 months you'll start seeing results. Some people do take more time which is normal so don't let that get to you! (It has happened to me already). Also, be sure to take bi-weekly progress pics, learn to take good ones and even have someone you trust to do it for you if you can't manage to pin your phone up against something and do a selfie. Also, come back here and post so we can help you on your journey!!! Any questions? I will Google translate to understand you if you don't speak English and I will take the time out of my day to make your life better if you are feeling down about fitness goals you feel are unreachable (which they are ALWAYS reachable!!!!).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Yamato

Flag:
    Argentina, United States

I’ve been a lazy and sick potato lately :hestonpls
    But managed to go running with my dogs every other night so. Can finally get back to TKD this week since I’m not that sick anymore.

10. Ral

Flag:

I haven't gotten sick in a hot minute, what really helps when I feel that I'm about to come down with the sickness (OH, AH, AH, AH, AH ) is taking Emergen-C and a fuckton of water. I feel great and prevent ultimate disaster :ichigo

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  11. perman07

Here's the thing though, do people who do shrugs ever have bigger traps than someone with a big deadlift? I have yet to see any proof that shrugs actually help accomplish those big traps that you talk about the value of. So it's not that I disagree with the goal. Hey, we all train for shit that's silly one way or another. But I just remain unconvinced that shrugs aren't a ginormous waste of time, particularly if it's supposed to be done with conjunction with both boxing and cardio and both training and recovery resources are limited. When you have a lot of goals, you should trim the fat of the program, and shrugs are definitely that.

However, if someone wanted to specifically target the traps, I¨d recommend rack pulls instead. Which are taxing as hell, but are sure to do the trick.

12. Ral

Flag:

What works for one person may not work another, right?

Though you sparked my curiosity and thus I must test rack pulls vs shrugs. I say this because we here conflicting arguments in the workout community and I am a man that likes to try all my options before I give it my 100% fine say. Though I do admit that it took hella long to start seeing progress in my upper traps with shoulder shrugs meaning that I didn't feel anything at first until I practised my form better.

I'll try rack pulls for two weeks and give you my overall opinion on whether or not it worked better or faster than doing shrugs.

Besides, I like a good challenge :catbuff

13. Kitsune Global Moderator

Booze calories fucking up my numbers. Clearing out my tequila supply tonight then no more for a while.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Ral

Flag:

Tbh as soon as you stop drinking it, come back to it 2-3 months later, and it all tastes like shit :(

The same thing happened when I stopped drinking soda and eating junk food.

Soda tastes like trash but anything that has "zero" in it like VitaminWater doesn't taste like ass/trash anymore?! :argh

Junk food tastes like greasy DEATH too :catstabbed

The main contributors are simply artificial sugars, fats from junk food (calories from fat), bad carbs (from booze), and mostly late-night eating.

I should know all of this, I was thicc before and now I'm slimm shady :catpole

15. Kitsune Global Moderator

Definitely. I’ve significantly eased up on sugar, sodium, processed foods, and empty carbs (other than booze) and my threshold is so much different. Hardly miss them. It’s nice that tastebuds can change so fast and you stop craving non-nutritious junk after a few weeks.

16. The Gr8 Destroyer

I cant quit booze cause I love them.

17. Jackk Moderator

i can't quit booze cause i've never had it :blobhide

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Raiden Moderator

Missed today smh but in gonna try to run tomorrow morning.

19. Son Of Man

Physical therapy tips for possible pinched nerve in neck?

20. perman07

In danger of coming across too obnoxious and know-it-all'y, I believe there is a red pill for how to view pain and rehab with pain science and so-called bio-psychosocial model of pain.

So while I don't have any specific advice for you for your problem, I think you (and everyone really) should read the article below:

I also recommend further stuff from Barbell Medicine (the author of the above is a member) about pain.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  21. Snowless Moderator

I took off on Wednesday and Thursday, but otherwise I've been to the gym every day since the Thursday before that (so 9 of the past 11 days).
    Combined with changing my diet, I've already lost 4 lbs and I'm simultaneously able to do workouts at noticeable higher weights.

22. Moritsune

Gonna be taking a bit of a break from here, anyone that wants can reach me on my discord, I'll always have time to talk about fitness.

Moritsune#9286

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  23. Ral

Flag:

Been hittin' the gym extra hard recently and I'm at the point where I am at my ideal weight and will focus on packing on some guns!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  24. Son Goku

The real check in for how much you go to the gym is how much is left on that metrocard.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  25. Snowless Moderator

No more Mori in this thread. :blobcry

26. Ral

Flag:

30-day unlimited metro my brotha, it does not show how many times I checked-in in a day either :lul
    :blobcry :blobcry

27. "Shion"

Flag:
    Mexico
    Body's been exhausted. Mon-Fri heavy plyometrics exercise schedule plus mon-fri heavy manual labor for work is a killer, y'all.

Taking this week off of both to rest and recoup, though I do see fantastic improvements full body. Even got asked by several individuals @ the gym what I do for legs! Felt good :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  28. Ral

Flag:

Don't believe those 30 day challenges or 8 week programs that say they can get you RIPPED or ROUGHNECKED within that impossible time frame. From newbie to intermediate, it took me roughly almost 3-4 months to see actual progress as I learned and watched my body grow. It actually takes longer for many to reprogram their entire bodies to where it can no longer tolerate the unhealthy foods and drinks you suffocated it for eons.

I've been at this for nearly almost a year from buying a $50 8 week program that showed me that it's like every other thing you want out there that seems out of reach, basically you either buy into some bullshit or learn who are the fakes and who actually makes content for those who truly need guidance (thank you Seth Feroce, you really showed me how to step my fuckability game up :blobmuscles).

So yeah, take everything you do in strides and learn to love it and most importantly, learn to live yourself and your body both equally.

Spoiler: FUCKABILITY STATS UP +15 :shocked

My new goal atm is to continue to work on my form, get my chest, abs, and shoulder where they need to be so I can bulk for the coming winter storms :blobevil

29. Kitsune Global Moderator

So true. Steady, sustainable lifestyle change will far outlast any fad regimen for sure.

30. Harard

I believe you should go on a slow bulk now for the next 12 to 18 months. 2 lbs a month and no more. Work abs 4 times a week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List