• NBDContest
    Come enter in the NBD Banner Contest !
    Deadline for entries is February 4 at 12:00 pm UTC.
  • CC
    Come enter in this week's GotW and PotW!
    Deadline for both contests is January 24 at 9 pm UTC.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Fitness 2020 Workout Thread!

savior2005

Current stats: 6'5" 285.4lbs

My current plan:

- OMAD (One meal a day). 1200-2000 cals of whatever I want to eat within a 1 hour period.
- Walking. 5-10 miles a day
- Greasing the groove (Optional). Doing a few pull-ups, pushups, and dips periodically throughout the day. Mainly done to increase reps for when I reach my goal weight and start gaining muscle.

Last year this method worked really well for me. Lost 40lbs in 3 months and was right around the corner to being in the best shape of my life... But then the holidays came. TBH it wasnt the holidays that fukked me over, but it was the fact that Chick-Fil-A was down the road when I went back home. CFA used to be the bane of my existence before I moved, So I binged on CFA and that brought back my old eating habits, then rebounded from 240 to 290 over the next 5 months after that.

Now im back to doing the same routine starting around 7 days ago, and didn't go back for the holidays this time. Currently down 9.7lbs in 7 days. Most of that is water weight. I started out losing 2lbs a day, then went down to around 1lbs a day.

Looking to hit 275lbs by the end of the year, 240 by the end of Jan, then 210-220 by March.
Wow man, you're big. Not in a bad way, but 6'5? Damn I envy your height lol, I'm 5'9. At one point I was like 260lb now I'm down to the 180's or maybe 190's, cuz of the holidays. Too scared to check lol.

You should consider jogging instead of walking. It's not that bad if you go very slow, and you see improvement really quick. I got to doing 3-4 miles in a few weeks, even though the first day a mile killed me.

FWIW I think you should make your exercises mandatory instead of optional. You can cut back a bit on the walking miles if you want. In my experience when I cut weight and did only cardio, I lost a lot of muscle and got weaker on all my lifts and exercises. Doing the exercises you stated 3 times a week would help a lot. You would retain muscle.

When do you do your OMAD? Before bed? My problem would always be that I would eat all my calories in the morning.

Worm Juice

Braphog
Current stats: 6'5" 285.4lbs

My current plan:

- OMAD (One meal a day). 1200-2000 cals of whatever I want to eat within a 1 hour period.
- Walking. 5-10 miles a day
- Greasing the groove (Optional). Doing a few pull-ups, pushups, and dips periodically throughout the day. Mainly done to increase reps for when I reach my goal weight and start gaining muscle.

Last year this method worked really well for me. Lost 40lbs in 3 months and was right around the corner to being in the best shape of my life... But then the holidays came. TBH it wasnt the holidays that fukked me over, but it was the fact that Chick-Fil-A was down the road when I went back home. CFA used to be the bane of my existence before I moved, So I binged on CFA and that brought back my old eating habits, then rebounded from 240 to 290 over the next 5 months after that.

Now im back to doing the same routine starting around 7 days ago, and didn't go back for the holidays this time. Currently down 9.7lbs in 7 days. Most of that is water weight. I started out losing 2lbs a day, then went down to around 1lbs a day.

Looking to hit 275lbs by the end of the year, 240 by the end of Jan, then 210-220 by March.
Isn’t jojo-ing like that bad for your health?

D

Delta Shell 1

Anyone doing wrestling here? Freestyle or greco? How's the pandemic working out for you?

I'd love to start wrestling (or judo) but i'm already in my late 20s. The sport definitely doesnt seem very friendly for older adults.
I'm almost 36 and still wrestle once a week alongside BJJ and MT (as a hobbyist) obviously that schedule has been intermittent in the pandemic because the club keeps having to close as we go in and out of lockdown.

I started late and have had some injuries but seriously don't worry about your age too much. Especially if you're already reasonably athletic and have had experience in other sports.

As cringey as it sounds, when your shit gets old (like me) listen to your body and recover properly. You'll know when you need a day off or when not to spar and you're not being a pussy by picking the people your roll with, some partners are better (and safer) than others.

Also stay on top of your (sensible) strength and conditioning, it makes a difference. Anyway, i'm sure you know all this already not teaching you to suck eggs bro haha but you're deffo not too old to start.

As for the topic. I got fat in covid times. I have an Oly bar and some plates at home when the gym is locked down, so I've stayed strong but i'm doing nowhere near enough cardio atm. I also work from home so i'm sat at a laptop for long hours. Not ideal but i'm slowly starting to rectify the damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schneider

Wise Guy
I'm almost 36 and still wrestle once a week alongside BJJ and MT (as a hobbyist) obviously that schedule has been intermittent in the pandemic because the club keeps having to close as we go in and out of lockdown.

I started late and have had some injuries but seriously don't worry about your age too much. Especially if you're already reasonably athletic and have had experience in other sports.

As cringey as it sounds, when your shit gets old (like me) listen to your body and recover properly. You'll know when you need a day off or when not to spar and you're not being a pussy by picking the people your roll with, some partners are better (and safer) than others.

Also stay on top of your (sensible) strength and conditioning, it makes a difference. Anyway, i'm sure you know all this already not teaching you to suck eggs bro haha but you're deffo not too old to start.

As for the topic. I got fat in covid times. I have an Oly bar and some plates at home when the gym is locked down, so I've stayed strong but i'm doing nowhere near enough cardio atm. I also work from home so i'm sat at a laptop for long hours. Not ideal but i'm slowly starting to rectify the damage.
that's nice to hear. when did you start wrestling though? i always had the mindset to prepare being taken down and slammed around for a few years before i'd be able to fluently do it myself (steep learning curve), so that when i get 40 or 50 i'd be the one slamming people around :zaru but i do am aware that breakfalls are a part of every grappling curriculum, likely the thing a beginner learns to help survive and longevity on the mat and more importantly carries well into real life situation. anecdotally speaking it was the difference between a slightly bruised shoulder and a brain hemmorhage that one time my mma teacher crashed his motorbike during a rainstorm.

during covid times like pretty much everyone i'm also quite far from peak levels, but i still train boxing daily so i still remained decently conditioned somehow. as grappling is a different ball game i don't think much of that carries over. during my supposed peak cardio form i gassed out pretty fast during my first rolling sessions.

D

Delta Shell 1

that's nice to hear. when did you start wrestling though? i always had the mindset to prepare being taken down and slammed around for a few years before i'd be able to fluently do it myself (steep learning curve), so that when i get 40 or 50 i'd be the one slamming people around :zaru but i do am aware that breakfalls are a part of every grappling curriculum, likely the thing a beginner learns to help survive and longevity on the mat and more importantly carries well into real life situation. anecdotally speaking it was the difference between a slightly bruised shoulder and a brain hemmorhage that one time my mma teacher crashed his motorbike during a rainstorm.

during covid times like pretty much everyone i'm also quite far from peak levels, but i still train boxing daily so i still remained decently conditioned somehow. as grappling is a different ball game i don't think much of that carries over. during my supposed peak cardio form i gassed out pretty fast during my first rolling sessions.
I didn't start properly wrestling until I was 31 bro (don't get me wrong i'm still shit at it)

I did start catch wrestling briefly in my 20s but I gave it up after around 6 months (and I used to get SO many injuries training at that place, the culture wasn't for me).

You're right falling properly is important, all it takes is an outstretched arm which is human instinct but can be catastrophic. Accidents do happen and mat awareness is important with so many tumbling bodies.

I guess with your striking background, you're going for the whole MMA thing, I do think some of your conditioning will carry over so I wouldn't say it was useless. A healthy heart is a healthy heart. In my experience however I've felt safer with more muscle when grappling, whereas I'm guessing you've kept your weight down coming from a boxing background.

You'll always gas out rolling your first few times. Stick an experienced grappler in a boxing match or even some hard rounds on the pads and they'll be blowing too. A lot of perceived cardio is just your body being used to doing something and being efficient.

Schneider

Wise Guy
I didn't start properly wrestling until I was 31 bro (don't get me wrong i'm still shit at it)

I did start catch wrestling briefly in my 20s but I gave it up after around 6 months (and I used to get SO many injuries training at that place, the culture wasn't for me).

You're right falling properly is important, all it takes is an outstretched arm which is human instinct but can be catastrophic. Accidents do happen and mat awareness is important with so many tumbling bodies.

I guess with your striking background, you're going for the whole MMA thing, I do think some of your conditioning will carry over so I wouldn't say it was useless. A healthy heart is a healthy heart. In my experience however I've felt safer with more muscle when grappling, whereas I'm guessing you've kept your weight down coming from a boxing background.

You'll always gas out rolling your first few times. Stick an experienced grappler in a boxing match or even some hard rounds on the pads and they'll be blowing too. A lot of perceived cardio is just your body being used to doing something and being efficient.

To the contrary, a local gym recently put a bigger heavier heavybag and after a week getting used to it or so my trunk is the biggest i've ever been for some reason, and it shows on the scale. Some of it is fat yes, but it is beyond what my "lean bulking" lifting phase in life had ever achieved, basically the first time in my life i had my coveted "cloth hanger v taper" frame. Tragically my arms are still (too) lean and lanky so appearance wise there's an ape-like proportion to me now (think beast titan/zeke from SnK) :lmao

Which kind of wrestling did you pick? Folk/freestyle/greco? And how does your typical session look like? Like the proportions between warm up/conditioning, technique or theoreticals, then live practice or sparring etc..

savior2005

To some of you grapplers, a gym I was looking at has BJJ and Submission Grappling. Which would you recommend for a beginner in grappling, to supplement striking (I use to box and may get back into it).

D

Delta Shell 1

To the contrary, a local gym recently put a bigger heavier heavybag and after a week getting used to it or so my trunk is the biggest i've ever been for some reason, and it shows on the scale. Some of it is fat yes, but it is beyond what my "lean bulking" lifting phase in life had ever achieved, basically the first time in my life i had my coveted "cloth hanger v taper" frame. Tragically my arms are still (too) lean and lanky so appearance wise there's an ape-like proportion to me now (think beast titan/zeke from SnK) :lmao

Which kind of wrestling did you pick? Folk/freestyle/greco? And how does your typical session look like? Like the proportions between warm up/conditioning, technique or theoreticals, then live practice or sparring etc..
I do freestyle. I didn't fully have the option of picking a style as where i'm from (UK) options are limited lol. We're not as diverse in wrestling styles over here, Wrestling sort of died out in the UK but it can be found you just have to travel around a bit and it's getting a bit of a resurgence. I'm lucky Catch Wrestling more or less evolved locally to me (Wigan) however.

I'd like to try some judo/Sambo at some point to compliment Gi specific takedowns as I've kinda gotten into that recently.

Hahah Beast titan is a good look for combat man! Using that reach advantage! It's a shame we (well I mean me) can't have it all can we, I wish I could focus on a bodybuilding routine and look like He-Man and also my combat sports, just doesn't work that way haha. I actually feel a little better/healthier with slightly more fat on my body (especially when grappling).

Edit: Sorry you asked about a standard training session -

Your basic wrestling warm up, bodyweight exercises, down either side of the mat, bear crawls, wheelbarrow walks, cartwheels, sprints, shooting all that fun stuff.

Partner up and drill something (I find this is objective based more-so than drilling specific techniques which is where it differs in teaching style to BJJ for example) for the majority of the session.

Ends with live wrestling, which usually goes over the class time if you want/aren't dead since there's no class afterwards. (Pro-tip i'm always dead by then)

D

Delta Shell 1

To some of you grapplers, a gym I was looking at has BJJ and Submission Grappling. Which would you recommend for a beginner in grappling, to supplement striking (I use to box and may get back into it).
I guess it depends what the description of "Submission grappling" is.

Kinda broad generic term I guess but I saw it being used at a gym I was going to train at over in Sweden, it's more "grappling for MMA". Which you will get from BJJ as well in all honesty but i'm guessing it's 1) Exclusively No-Gi 2) More focus on takedowns 3) More priority on dominant positions in MMA as opposed to grappling safe positions (like sitting in full guard or deep half). 4) It could just be catch.

In an ideal world the answer would be do both. Realistically doing either will be a valuable addition to your boxing. However nobody has unlimited time or money eh, go down and speak to the coach at the gym and see which one suits your needs more. Might be a case of taking BJJ for a bit then swapping out one lesson a week for a Submission grappling class.

Also England just got put into lockdown again. Gyms are closed and it's fucking snowing heavily. I guess i'm doing some Rocky 4 shit this January. If only I wasn't so fat and lazy.

Schneider

Wise Guy
I do freestyle. I didn't fully have the option of picking a style as where i'm from (UK) options are limited lol. We're not as diverse in wrestling styles over here, Wrestling sort of died out in the UK but it can be found you just have to travel around a bit and it's getting a bit of a resurgence. I'm lucky Catch Wrestling more or less evolved locally to me (Wigan) however.

I'd like to try some judo/Sambo at some point to compliment Gi specific takedowns as I've kinda gotten into that recently.

Hahah Beast titan is a good look for combat man! Using that reach advantage! It's a shame we (well I mean me) can't have it all can we, I wish I could focus on a bodybuilding routine and look like He-Man and also my combat sports, just doesn't work that way haha. I actually feel a little better/healthier with slightly more fat on my body (especially when grappling).

Edit: Sorry you asked about a standard training session -

Your basic wrestling warm up, bodyweight exercises, down either side of the mat, bear crawls, wheelbarrow walks, cartwheels, sprints, shooting all that fun stuff.

Partner up and drill something (I find this is objective based more-so than drilling specific techniques which is where it differs in teaching style to BJJ for example) for the majority of the session.

Ends with live wrestling, which usually goes over the class time if you want/aren't dead since there's no class afterwards. (Pro-tip i'm always dead by then)
lel my wingspan to reach is actually 1:1, but the thick frame with chopsticks pairing (and stocky glutes too apparently) is the culprit behind the ape visuals. it definitely shows up during cloth fittings and photos, it looks weird af man:lmao

the extreme ape proportions can actually be seen on pro boxers, like marvin hagler, roger mayweather, tommy hearns etc. and it's actually prevalent amongst boxers with the exception of a few minorities like golovkin or pacquiao. it's probably just sport based morphism, where different demands will shape different bodies, like the fish-y frame of michael phelps (GOAT swimmer?). out of all top athletes though i find wrestlers and gymnasts having the best sculpted bodies. they look like greek statues with tank tops, on steroids come to life.

D

Delta Shell 1

lel my wingspan to reach is actually 1:1, but the thick frame with chopsticks pairing (and stocky glutes too apparently) is the culprit behind the ape visuals. it definitely shows up during cloth fittings and photos, it looks weird af man:lmao

the extreme ape proportions can actually be seen on pro boxers, like marvin hagler, roger mayweather, tommy hearns etc. and it's actually prevalent amongst boxers with the exception of a few minorities like golovkin or pacquiao. it's probably just sport based morphism, where different demands will shape different bodies, like the fish-y frame of michael phelps (GOAT swimmer?). out of all top athletes though i find wrestlers and gymnasts having the best sculpted bodies. they look like greek statues with tank tops, on steroids come to life.
Sport based morphisms. Interesting, never heard the term before but it makes sense for sure.

Yeah gymnasts and wrestlers look like (and are) beasts.

David

an accident
So for the holidays I ate complete shit around the clock, barely exercised, got stressed with finals and then became depressed. I gained around 15 pounds, probably at least a third water weight.

Ugh.

Going to lose it all again in 2 months. I've got to be better than this. Here goes ...

savior2005

So for the holidays I ate complete shit around the clock, barely exercised, got stressed with finals and then became depressed. I gained around 15 pounds, probably at least a third water weight.

Ugh.

Going to lose it all again in 2 months. I've got to be better than this. Here goes ...
I'd say it's more like half of it is water weight. I tend to do the same where i eat like it's my last meal, especially during holidays. Lots of ice cream and junk food. Though I do try to workout, as I feel some of the excess calories will go into a tiny bit of muscle building. Tend to have a good workout

Schneider

Wise Guy

nan is giving us pull ups. at 70.

safe to say from this video this incredible a feat heavily implies the need to get off our arses and work lads.

and a thread title update. Stay fit for 2021

Yamato

ANBU- Sadist
Been doing video workouts with friends since they do need help with a routine to start being more fit. They're liking it so far. I'm aiming for two days a week with them and gradually building up in intensity.

bitwise

I've recently started incorporating dumbbells into pushups (I think the proper term is Regengade Rows) and the results have been great. It's an actual comprehensive workout. I'd recommend them to anyone who is stuck at home but has access to some dumbbells.

Top Bottom