1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

[286] Sai - A plot device?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Sunuvmann, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Sunuvmann

After reading around different threads and the most recent chapter I have come to a conclusion. Sai is being used as a plot device. Through imitating and dissing Sasuke and insulting Naruto and Sakura, I believe Kishimoto is using Sai to heal the old wounds between Sasutards and Narutards over the Sasuke v. Naruto fight. Sai is a common enemy to both characters.

To Naruto he is an untrusting and perverted (in a homoerotic way) dick who is insulting people. To Sasuke he is a future enemy as he sees Sasuke as a traitor and upon meeting will most likely seek to destroy Sasuke. Through unprejudiced disrespecting, in my opinion, Kishimoto has produced a disposable character for the purpose of cushoning Sasuke's inevitable and hopefully speedy return and forwarding the distrust at home sub-plot.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
    Tags:
  2. ChickenPotPie

3. Gallic Rush

If you think about it, every main character is a plot device...

In fact, the reason characters are considered "main" is that they have an affect on the plot...

But kudos on the predictions.

4. FFLN

I don't know about the healing thing, but he does seem to be providing the third point to the triangle between them.

5. xeno

Nice prediction and idea. IMO I think his past and the connection to that drawing are going to serve as a way for Kishimoto to tell more about ROOTS and how they operate, and wether or not they could be a potential threat to the current Hokage (My own personal idea I'm toying with).

6. RockLee

I agree. <=====Most commonly typed post on NF.

*Feels shame*

7. Sunuvmann

Yeah I think we just got an appetizer of the Root stuff. It will probably be left on the back burner until after the Bridge Arc is over.

8. FitzChivalry

I believe most have felt this to, at least, some extent.

9. RAGING BONER

Flag:
    Puerto Rico
    the least you can do i come up with a snappy one liner!

10. G. Hawke

What i am laughing my ass off was how when everyone else knew that Sai was nothing more than a "Plot Device" the anti-Naruto crowd was lapping him up cause he insulted Naruto.
    Now that the Homoerotic Wonderboy turn his spite on Sasuke and all of a sudden everybody agrees that he is a mere "Plot Device".
    LOL! :rofl

11. mLemon

This may be true, but I think he's going to be quite important on his own; they'll find other ways to make him significant, I bet. He's too interesting to die out soon or anything, though...

I think he could end up getting killed in some Sasuke-related conflict, after Naruto and/or Sakura finally start to warm up to him or something, right when Sai has some change of heart (as in, less cold-hearted, I guess) maybe... Sort of like Obito's death in Kakashi Gaiden. Finally, a true friendship blooms, but death interupts.

Something like at least, maybe.

12. Lacus Clyne

I think that is kind of what the first post is talking about. Now that everyone sees that Sai is an ass who shows equal distaste for Naruto and Sasuke, Narutard and Sasuketards have a common bond. They have someone to hate and don't have to keep hating each other anymore.

13. FFLN

Mm... unless you're a Saitard.:oh Anyway, who says that you can't like all three of them, in their own way, regardless of how they treat eachother?:D

14. G. Hawke

But i am also stating now that the supposed peace between the 2 fandoms will probably never happen. Homoerotic Wonderboy or not. :oh
    Consider that most Naruto fans will probably find it hard to treat any supposed peace from a fandom(not everyone but the loudest ones tend to) that adores a character merely because he insults Naruto seriously.
    And i bet many Sasuke fans will have problem getting along with a fandom that has people(not everyone agian but the loudest ones tend to as well) who paint Sasuke as a traitorous comrade killing bastard.
    So yeah, wont happen. :oh
    Sad, i kinda like a couple of Sasuke fans.

15. Lacus Clyne

:oh A pity indeed :wtf What happens to those of us who are fans of both?

16. sonnie_skies

if he is a plot device, it wouldn't be the first time a character played that role *cough*itachi*cough

in all seriousness, you know that sai and sasuke are destined to meet...possibly exchange some psuedo-badass statements about one another (possibly how they even look alike, how sai's traveling with that annoying sakura and naruto, etc...), fight, sai dies or something...

eh.

17. mLemon

What if... Naruto and Sakura end up taking back Sasuke, or killing him or something that removes him from Orochimaru's picture, then Orochimaru ends up using Sai as his container? I don't know exactly how it would move into place like that, but it could.

Or maybe Sasuke and Sai will team up, ally, or become friends. What about THAT? Again, I'm not sure how it would happen, but it could, and that's all that matters.

Rememer folks, you heard it here first.

18. G. Hawke

While i am no fan of Sasuke i do like him as a character.
    Just that i can't relate to him.
    Maybe we should have a NaruSasu FC. :wtf
    Wait.....................no, no a bloody yaoi thing. We have enough of that crap anyway. A FC for fans of both, unless it has already been and bombed. :oh

19. Sunuvmann

Okay that just gave me a seriously brilliant idea because of the hillarity of it.

Naruto and Sasuke realize because how he looks and sounds like Sasuke so much, they knock Sai out and dress him up as Sasuke.

Oro then uses Sai (thinking hes Sasuke) as a vessel
    Heres the scene of realization:

Oro: Hahaha :kukuku I now have the Uchiha blood in me, I can copy ANY jutsu!!!! Kabuto lets fight so i can test this crap
    Kabuto: Eh...sure
    Oro: Alright hit me, I'll dodge it
    Kabuto: :modsmack
    Oro: WTF?! How did I not see your attack....and why do I have an urge to comment on your dick Kabuto???
    Kabuto: ...
    Oro: 0_0 NARUTO!!!!!!!:mad

20. Shinigami1980

hahhahahahahahahahaha lol.....good one

21. Chi

I doubt that Kishimoto give a damn about all this "Naruto hating camp", or "Sasuke hating camp"..

Sai is there for some other plot reason..

22. Sunuvmann

Okay well if you dislike that reason, then how about this one. By having a common enemy being used to bring Sasuke and Naruto back together. I mean it already made Naruto, to some extent, having an arm stuck through his lung....

23. Kahlua2606

I always thought that Sai would be just a plot device, but I'm starting to change my mind. I never thought he would have this much impact, instead that Kishi would only use him as both a filler shinobi on Team 7 and to motivate Naruto to get stronger. Given the latest developments, with the mysterious ANBU giving him a Top Secret assignment, and Yamato presumably discovering it, it could lead to much more than just a plot device, but making Sai a 'legitimate' character.