1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

[286] Shocking New Development! Yamato and the Anbu Mask!

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by hatsuka, Dec 1, 2005.

1. hatsuka

It appears that Yamato is the ANBU guy from 285-- Is he Sai's sempai? What could this possibly mean?

Are Sai and Yamato working for Akatsuki?
    Is Yamato working undercover for Tsunade against root?
    Is the mask Sai's?!
    Is Yamato really the white cat ANBU and the mask belongs to someone besides him or Sai?

What impact does this new development make? Discuss.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Zenith00

? Yamato IS from ANBU. But he's not from "root" division. So he can't be sai's senior.

3. hatsuka

Frame 4, Sai:
    何です??先輩。
    What do you want? ... Sempai.
    (A "sempai" is, in this case, one's senior in an organization.)

Frame 3, ANBU Member:
    木ノ葉という大木を目に見えぬ地の中より支える、我々?根?の意志?忘れるな。
    That which supports the great tree of Konoha, unseen from within the ground, is our resolve, our organization called "Ne"... Don't you forget that.
    ("ne" = "roots")

So Yamato is from root.

4. crono220

from what i have seen, it could mean that sai's senpai is actually at the spa with them unkownly to them. For it seem stupid to have tsunade choose a root guy also and the hair differnce is quite obvious between yamato and sai's senpai.

5. Siddis

I think you need to reread chapter 285. That "root" guy has long hair and Yamato has much shorter hair, and thier eyes are different. But I just figurd that the "root" guy actually looks like Shikamaru's dad Nara Shikaku (well, atleast their hair is the same). Maybe he's in "root".

6. slumpy

nice one, i did't see it myself. i think there wil become a war. Ore a muting

7. Gaara-Kazekage

I was just starting to like his way of speaking...

8. DragonSlayer

It is the Root's mask, and it's Sai's mask, by the way. You can see Sai's ink thing next to the mask.

9. Keyser S?ze

there are 2 scenario's, 1 yamato is a traitor and he is secretly with root while still in anbu. 2, he is not a traitor and he either infiltrated root or killed the other anbu guy and took his mask.

10. Mori`

I think there could be 3 scenarios hayate

root have no names, if you aren;t going to have a name why bother with differnt masks, it keeps the whole group together more if they are all the same. Therefore the mask is quite possibly Sai's

@Hatsuka, your reasoning for yamato being in root is simply based on your assumption that he is Sai's sempai. The fact that Tsunade picks an anbu captain (Yamato) for the mission means he should be from the normal anbu ranks. That was the point, Yamato is most likely from the normal anbu section and so the talk about our division and sai calling him sempai would rule it out being yamato.

11. Neji48972

12. Danchou

I don't have the chapter with me, but this is a good find. I think Yamato is onto Sai.

13. DragonSlayer

Yeah, I'm fairly sure they are the one and same. Which would explain the mask. I don't see Yamato being in Root or being a bad guy.

14. Dyroness

Indeed - yamato may not be that root guy, but he must be involved with Sai's plan, or something. Maybe he's good after all, and is following secret orders from Tsunade.

15. Keyser S?ze

lol, but is that sai sitting there saying things are going to be busy? i don't see any reason for yamato saying that since he already knows sai is a root anbu member.

@ moridin, the only explanation would be yamato is a traitor if that is his mask. maybe he's just digging through sai's stuff trying to find that secret mission.

16. hatsuka

Well, I was under the impression that ANBU guys don't share masks, i.e. no two ANBU masks are the same. So the owner of that mask is in the hot springs town right now.

Maybe Dragonslayer is right, but why would Sai have that ANBU mask? Sai was talking with the ANBU guy, not the other way around. And the scroll could be a normal scroll, not necessarily Sai's thingy.

EDIT: I'm positive it's not Sai's scroll, because from your very own picture, dragonslayer, you can see that the thickness of the white border is different.

17. Chi

It's probably Yamato who's exploring Sai's bag..
    He probably found message from Danzou, and know what is Sai's mission.
    That's why he's saying that things will get busy...

18. DragonSlayer

I noticed that too, but I think it's still the same. There's also black borders around that small black button one version and in the other one they are white. That's why it's pretty controversial and I can't be too sure about it. I'm just speculating for now.

I thought that Yamato is spying on Sai because Tsunade told him to keep an eye on him.

19. crono220

know that i have taken a closer look at the chapter, it's most likely yamato looking through sai's stuff and exploring what sai's intentions are.

20. maya_slash

21. Keyser S?ze

lol, yeah, i've been taking a closer look too, lol. anyways, we'll just have to wait, as usual. we can't get a straight answer in naruto anymore.

22. frz1

Maybe all root members wear the same mask. They have no identity, face, whatever. That could explain why Sai has the same mask as his senpai. They are just a bunch of robots being controlled by Danzou. They don't need any individuality.

23. Hef

Exactly. And it makes perfect sense for Yamato to go through Sai's belongings; Tsunade did order him to keep an eye on Sai. :huh

24. TheVileOne

So have we ever seen Yamato before in the past anywhere in Naruto?

25. Mori`

there's a topic about him possibly being the white robed anbu captain present during the saru/oro fight.

26. Keyser S?ze

a lot of people say he's the anbu watching the fight between oro and sandaime, but personally i don't think it's him. i think yamato is a new character.

27. Kepa

well if he really was spying on sai's conversation, it is possible he took out the anbu root guy for information...

28. hatsuka

Let us look at this from a plot perspective:

1. Kishi loves to surprise us or catch us off guard; he does this with gender, techniques, pivotal battle moments, etc.
    2. It is an interesting plot twist if Yamato was evil. Even more interesting would be if Yamato was really with Tsunade and was undercover root, throwing us ALL off.
    3. It would be a total waste if root members all wore the same mask, because then everyone would know that they are root, and they are "the unknown base of konoha."

29. Spy_Smasher

If the masks are unique, if it is in fact the mask of Sai's sempai then I have little doubt that Yamato knows exactly who Sempai is and that he is not operating under Tsunade's direction .. if he did not already know this from peeping inside Sai's window. What strikes me as odd is that if he is aware that there is a threat to his mission, why doesn't he enlist Sakura or Naruto's help? Why nor warn them that Sai is not all that he seems and that there may be at least one malevolent ANBU member trailing them?

Obviously, if Yamato is not an ally of Root/Sai then he is playing a fairly subtle game, trusting Naruto and Sakura to handle themselves without hand-holding. He's a pretty confident and cagey character. If he's not actually betraying them himself, of course

30. tegid

Hell, the guy in 285 has a much more spiky hair. Yamato was the CAT in 285, not that guy. Maybe Yamato has found that mask in Sai's bag.