1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

[325] Akatsuki are being overrated

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by darthg0d, Sep 28, 2006.

1. darthg0d IDGAF.

This chapter kinda nails the point. The Akatsuki have been over-rated to 'kage-level' (if there is any such level) by fans who just love the way Kishi develops a character. We have a load of fans who say Deidra is god, Orochimaru is God, Itachi is God, Yondaime is God, etc... just cause their characters are very well developed, or kept mysterious.

I would be surprised if no threads pop up saying that Kishi is loosing his touch in writing the manga, and that the Akatsuki arent that dumb (as if they know the story better than Kishi himself).

Personally, I love the way the story is going... I just wish, there was more to read in each chapter.

Tags:
  2. Grrblt Banned

I'm not sure I get it. Hidan survives decapitation as if it was nothing, and that makes all of Akatsuki overrated? You've got a funny sense of logic.

3. DeepThought I See What You Did There...

A godlike shinobi wouldn't have gotten his head sliced off in the first place (is the point)

4. Grrblt Banned

Yeah and Buu never should have gotten that hole in his stomach in the first place. What an overrated guy.

5. S.O.T.R.S Sasori Of The Red Sand

seems like he got too confident of this immortal thing to brush up other areas like evading other people's jutsus

6. DeepThought I See What You Did There...

All these "___ is overrated" and "___ shouldn't be able to do ___" make me want to go start a n00b thread like "Why everybody gotta be h8in on Kishi's story?"

7. Fenix Pie Vendor

Hmm let me get this straight

You're blaming people for having a favorite character?

8. Ofkinheimer Active Member

I agree. Fans have put expectations of these AK members so high, that they immediately are dissappointed when the characters don't deliver at that high level or when they are defeated with strategies that are seemingly straightforward. It is as if we have built them so high, that nothing short of an uber jutsu killing them would satisfy our expectations.

Kishi has never to my knowledge put a "level" to these individuals, indicating only that they are very strong and deadly criminals. However, a host of characters are very strong and deadly (Kakashi, Gai, etc) so it is a bit surprising when people start leveling them as they end-all-be-all of shinobi achievement.

9. Seelas on a Forums Break

The Akatsuki aren't "over-rated" at kage level for the simple reason that many/most of them have killed or defeated kages, or displayed feats of similar impressiveness, in the past.

Orochimaru killed both the Yondaime kazekage and the Sandaime hokage.

Sasori killed the Sandaime kazekage.

Deidara defeated the Godaime kazekage, and later managed to almost kill three elite jounin and five chuunin at once under conditions that would normally render any ninja incapacitated.

Itachi, by Orochimaru's own words, is stronger than Oro who has killed said kages.

Kisame's requires a bit more circumstansial evidence, but I think it isn't unreasonable. For one, he is the one of only two nins in the series to use water jutsu without a water source. The other was the Nidaime Hokage (when Orochimaru manipulated him under an Edo Tensei). Secondly, 30% Kisame was only defeated by Gai's sixth gate technique. It was said in the Chuunin exam that if Rock Lee, a genin at the time, were to open all eight gates, he would have power surpassing the kages. Given that Gai is a lot stronger than Lee, his sixth gate is probably stronger than Lee's sixth gate, and that was only able to take out a 30% Kisame. A full-strength Kisame would require probably at least the strength of all eight gates (i.e. kage level), and possibly more, to take out.

The newest pair, Hidan and Kakuzu, are the only ones that haven't displayed any such feats that would put them on a kage level. To be fair Kakuzu hasn't had much exposition yet, and it wouldn't surprise me if he'd turned in a bounty for a kage or two in the past, but Hidan has defeated absolutely no one solo and was taken out by a Jounin and a Chuunin in his first solo battle.

It's just very out of place with the respective power level of the rest of the Akatsuki.

10. shintebukuro Well-Known Member

Sasori is likely the strongest sand ninja there ever was. He is also the best in puppet ninjutsus there ever was.

Itachi and Orochimaru are extremely important villains.

I think people make predictions of akatsuki strength based off of what is shown in some cases, and also off of what they feel the story calls for.

11. The Times 51% Evil

Not really, seeing as Hidan was messing about, big time, and that's why Kakuzu was warning him not to let his gaurd down.

backed up by the side text "Now the pair get serious...!!!" Even when Hidan is just a talking head at the moment. The fight isn't over, and when it finishes, Akatsuki will come out tops.

12. Pyre's Plight ...

I always knew Naruto ninjas could absorb people and fire giant blasts.

13. Odlam Team 7 4 Life

Hidan would have put down one of Konoha's finest in about 30 seconds if this were a 1v1, that's pretty freaking strong

Not to mention he was most likely the one responsible for bringing down the Nibi Jinchuuriki for the most part.

This fight was more or less the combination of
    1) Hidan not taking his opponents seriously
    2) His opponents being particularly good match ups for his power
    3) Shika's intellect
    4) Kakuzu was willing to let Hidan be humbled a bit because he's always ignoring Kakuzu's warnings about keeping his guard up and not being careless

The next fight Hidan gets in, he'll probably actually listen to Kakuzu's warnings and get serious right from the start, and it'll be a whole new ballgame

14. Woofie Coordinator

Exactly. They are kage-level.

If any readjustment needs to be made, it isn't that Akatsuki are less than kage-level, it's that kage-level is not God-level and that even the strongest ninjas in Naruto are defeatable (indeed, all of the villains will be defeated).

Indeed. Yeah, Hidan screwed up and would've been defeated if he was alone... he let his guard down, like Kakuzu had been warning him about. But if he gets put back together, I expect we'll see him fight with his guard much more up, and finally fighting 'seriously'.

OK, letting your guard down could be considered a weakness too, but he can and will address that... and besides, it's still only because of Shikamaru with his shadow jutsu (and 200 IQ) that Hidan got beheaded anyway.

15. d3vlabs Does not believe in titles

if hidan dies in the next 2 chapters then yes.
    as of right now sasori's death is too damn arguable.

16. Insipidipity Ignostic Buddhist

No, Kisame used water jutsus with a water source, just that he created it on his own. Nidaime went from no water to water jutsu. That's the kage level difference.

Darthgod is right, they are overrated. We don't know the situation in which most of Akatsuki have defeated Kages and the ones who have, have done so with significant amounts of preparation time and circumstancial conditions. It's no stretch of the imagination that Yondaime and Sandaime Kazekages were taken out in similar pretenses... Orochimaru has a village behind him and Sasori's poison just requires one scratch, neither of which would require a fair fight. Hidan and Kakuzu have been fighting as a pair.

I'm not saying they're not legendary level, but legendary isn't the same as kage level.

When we see Akatsuki members take on a kage in one on one combat without preptime and without using situational conditions(e.g. holding a village or people hostage or requiring help) and still fight at least evenly(in other words win or draw, not just put up a good fight), THEN and ONLY then can they truly be asserted as Kage Level.

17. Grrblt Banned

Spewing out a lake from your mouth is not a jutsu? ...right.. :S

I like it how you consider "it's no stretch of imagination" to equal fact. It's no stretch of imagination to have the Kazekage and his entourage stumble upon Sasori while he was minding his own business, and Sasori defeated them anyway.

18. earthshine Banned

both sasori and deidara took out a kage.

hidan can apparently not be killed.

itachi killed all the uchiha's, pwned kuranai and kakashi, and can make handselas faster than the eye can see.

overrated? naa.

19. BladeofTheChad Pedo for Sakura

yeah, id say having ur head chopped off and living=Kage Level...id like to see Sasugay do that shit...

20. Insipidipity Ignostic Buddhist

It's basic chakra nature manipulation...Naruto cutting a leaf wasn't a jutsu either...Please try to actually THINK about it before you speak. Converting chakra into an element is NOT a high level ninjutsu. It's a prerequisite of making a jutsu. What Nidaime did was what Naruto is trying to do now. He did the nature manipulation and the spatial manipulation simultaneously. Hence the "Such a high level jutsu without a source of water around". At no point has Kisame shown the ability to manipulate the nature and the shape of his chakra simulataneously.

Right..."while he was minding his own business"? Try "I went through a lot of trouble to get this". Funny how mine actually corresponds with what was actually said and yours corresponds solely with your imagination. I like how you think I was stating a fact when I was simply stating an alternative interpretation that is equal if not more likely than the speculation of how "kage level" Akatsuki is.

21. Drama MEGAN's F0X-y

yea i really dont like people who jump the bandwagon so easly.

22. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

Yeah getting beaten by one of the strongest ninja's in the sands history who just so happens to know most of your moves as well as having one of the sannins apprentices against you, and losing to a team led by a genius ninja and one of the strongest ninjas in the Leaf Village is SO HUMILIATING.

Akatsuki's are on average, stronger jounins while a few (Itachi and Sasori) are sannin level. Every village produces multiple people who can at least stand up to Akatuski members. They are IN HIDING for a reason. They're a guerilla warfare style group that would get decimated in the open, so they preform hit and run tactics in order to achieve their goal.

Also, keep in mind that villains tend to lose in comics.

23. Satsujin Immune to Propoganda

Overrated? The guy gets decapitated and not only does it not kill him, but it doesn't even break his jutsu. Yeah, what a weakass.

By the way, this isn't the first time a chapter ended with an Akatsuki member seemingly defeated.

Chapter 248: Deidara's arm get crushed by Desert Coffin. There's no way he can win, right? Right?
    Chapter 265: Sasori's masterpiece puppet, Hiruko not only gets destroyed, but it's destroyed fairly quickly. Sasori must be weak, right? Right?
    Chapter 276: Deidara's other arm gets ripped off and he gets nailed by an angry Kyuubi Naruto. There's no way he can survive now, right? Right?

At least wait for the fight to end before talking about how overrated they are.

24. Delta Shell The Pose of Love, people..

Yeah and this chapter didn't even end with a cliff hanger "Oh did he just get beaten" (like Deid's arm, even though we knew Deid wasn't out of the game really).

It ended on a note where we know Hidan isn't beaten, he's just an angry ranting head. We know Decapitation hasn't killed him..

25. Waffletime! Member

Hidan seems pretty powerful. And its obvious every ninja has flaws. They have different techniques. No Harry Potter instant death spells in this manga. :oh

26. Naruto674 Naurto...you suck

well......we don't know that, but i think it is obvious that he has beaten some pretty tough ninjas. I mean.....he "can't" die and can kill people pretty easily like he woud have killed Asuma. It is just on who he has to fight. He got unlucky and fought with Shikamaru also who was the right guy to stop Hidan.

Akatsuki is not overrated and they are a strong feared bunch.

27. Red Viking Northern Skald

Hiden's cocky as Hell, that much's for certain. And he definitely underestimated the Konoha shinobis.

However, when you're immortal, there's no need for evasion skills in the first place. I'd imagine that your entire fighting style will revolve around taking the hits, no matter how severe. Afterall, it's not like your going to die or anything.

Which may explain why Hiden's cocky as Hell.

28. Yondaime's Soul Member

"Orochimaru killed both the Yondaime kazekage and the Sandaime hokage."

Stop kissing orchimaru's butt, Yondaime would play with orochimaru like a monkey at the poop factory.

29. Logerond Member

I think you're talking about the yondaime hokage, which in that case you are correct. But Orochimaru did kill the yondaime kazekage, although he said he couldn't have done it without Kimimaro.

And about the Akatsuki being overrated, not anymore than everyone else in this series. I think it seems like every character is being overrated once in a while. And I'm pretty sure most of the Akatsuki will be defeated by non kages, so I think the "kage-level" measurement isn't very accurate.

30. shintebukuro Well-Known Member

Nidaime spit water out to provide for his jutsu exactly as Kisame did. Suiton suijinheki is just a water shield, spitting out water is not part of the jutsu.