1. img
    Take time to sit, get comfy, and watch the leaves fall...
    Come and join us in our forums Falling Autumn Event!
    The deadline is on September 25 at 10pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come vote in the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 23th at 4:42 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

[325] Anime censorship in part 2

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by dropoutninja, Sep 27, 2006.

1. dropoutninja

Assuming that Naruto is a show for adolescents, and the fact that the intensity of violence in part 2 has been stepped up (in my opinion-more violent scenes so far in less chapters), how do you think the animators will deal with some of the violent scenes we have seen so far in par 2- assuming the fillers ever end. (I put this in the manga section because of the heavy use of spoilers and as yet unreleased chapter info).

Examples include:
    1. Yamato being stabbed in the heart
    2. Sasori being impaled by swords
    3. Yugito being nailed to a wall
    4. Hidan being impaled by 2 large kunai
    Spoiler:
    Hidan getting decapitated.

Tags:
  2. atom

Why would you point a spoiler in the Telegrams? Anyway, I think the youngums can take it..

3. SeruraRenge

Yamato was stabbed in the shoulder, not the heart.

4. Naruko Supporting Staff

The key thing with editing is to minimize potential emotional impact/trauma. If the entity in question isnt killed or horribly wounded by the event, it can even be considered funny (hello, Warner Brothers, Hanna Barbera, Merrie Melodies...any Roadrunner cartoon, etc). You'll prolly see the following:

1. He'll get stabbed, form his wood plug and pop the sword back out - just minimal to no visible blood...why? Yamato isn't really hurt/hindered by it...he doesn't die/pass out/scream bloody murder etc ergo lil emotional impact.
    2. Tragic but he's a lil wooden boy, pretty much no blood - they'll prolly cut from the stabbing scene at the very last second to a reaction shot and you'll hear the sound, then see a cut back to his limp lifeless face.
    3. We'll see this, just with 70% less blood all over the damn place. They'll probably show her moving her head or breathing to make sure Hey Kids She Aint Dead = kids go oh ok, someone saves her later.
    4. Same as with Yamato. The Hidan scenes will be largely left intact for humor reasons cause *he* certainly isnt bothered by it, so kids wont be either.
    5. Same thing as 4.

5. Plot-no-jutsu

LOL he would be dead if that was the case...

Anywho, violent scenes in mangas transitioning over to anime (if the demographic are young viewers) are normally dealt with by using dark silhouettes.

6. Uzumaki Yondaime

Maybe they might do what Zabuza did to Kakashi where all we saw was a shilouette when Zabuza cut apart Kakashi's water clone. Also when Raikiri punched through Haku, in the anime Kakashi's hand was just on Haku's chest so I'm thinking that we assume the kunai's pierce hidan, like we won't see it.

7. dropoutninja

I went back and looked at the manga and I agree he wasnt stabbed in the heart but it does look like he was stabbed in the approximate vacinity of the great vessels (arch of the aorta, pulmonary trunk). He was definitely NOT stabbed in the shoulder however. The shoulder (glenohumeral joint) is more superolateral than that (maybe somebody could provide a picture so that I dont have to use jargon).

8. masterdan

9. DarkHyunkeL

You forgot Orochimaru being cut in half by KN4... Ok he's not dead thanks to his jutsu but still it's quite violent for teenagers.

10. Yamato (Inactive)

Apples, there will be a lot of them in part two :thumbs

11. koopo

And in only one occation someone accualy died..:amazed This is nothing comapared to what Naruto was in the begining.

Naruto is more kidsfriendly than ever.

12. Futagokage

many of this cannot be taken (especially 5) because if Hidan is no a talking head, the scene lost all his meaning. I think it would be soften, but not really all that censored, after all is japanese anime. Gato was impaled by Zabusa after all (yes I know in the manga was decapitated, but my point is that stabbing is not censored).

13. sven-da-man

did tv tokyo anounce a new time for the comming naruto anime? perhaps it has to do with this.Perhaps itll be aired on a later time period.

yeh also sakura was stabbed by sasori, deidara's arms where chopped off.
    Narutos Flesh burns off when he goes KN4 and his blood mixes with his chakra.

i dont see how the animators can edit this out. especially the KN4 stuff..

14. Kellogem

yeah, the part where Naruto's skin ripped off was quite intense...

15. Aeld

seriously did i miss something intensely gross here? :nuts

16. Kellogem

ok, maybe I used the wrong word (my english sucks)... but anyway, that was his skin that floated in chapter 293, wasn't it?

17. Faye Valentine

oooh, they will have to censor this. Flying head? Heck yeah.

It's not about what we think, it's what about they think is proper for children (cuz you know that naruto is for little children right?)

Though I don't see how cartoon network will be able to deal with it :laugh

18. Demonic_Ice

eh...I can only imagine how the dub will do it.

19. James

I think the anime is going to end up trying to remove the whole decapitation thing anyway they can since they did so with Gato and the same animation studio seems to have made sure you never see parts of the body being chopped off in both Naruto and Bleach.

The funny thing is though, years ago Dragonball Z got away with all this kind of stuff. It was never especially bloody but they didn't seem to have a problem back then with decapitation or limb loss...Japan's standards must have got more strict over the years.

20. Naruko Supporting Staff

They cant remove Hidans decapitation though, its waaay too integral to the chapters action - they'd have to have Kishi rewrite the entire sub-story line for it...all the jutsu, curse, humor, i mean everything feeds into his head being lopped off. Because he keeps talking and doesnt seem bothered by it, theyll just make it blood free, obscure the actual cutting-off of (like Kishi himself did) and leave it as is.

21. Naruto_Rasengan

Well I'm sure if they are able to show cell being blow in half by both Goku's Kamehameha and Vegeta's Final Flash they can show Hidan having his head removed and still living.

I mean come on. They were able to show Android 19 and 20 having there heads blown/kicked off and then crushed in Gero's case.

This is an important part of the story, especially if Kakuzu intends on leaving the battle field as well as Hidan's body behind. :laugh

22. Chatulio

I can imagine the Dub if it gets to that point. XD

23. ryne11

Bashing the dub on something that hasn't even been animated yet :oh

They barely censor anything anymore. Besides, who says it will be on toonami by then.

24. Windy

Hehe, maybe Kishi is doing all these stuff to piss off the anime writers. XD

25. hiko

Compared to something like Full Metal Alchemist Naruto is still pretty tame. The animators will tone down the amount of blood but keep all the violence in tact.

26. I Я Reckless!

You didnt see the Naruto vs Orochimaru fight???

27. Megaharrison Retired Staff

Yes, I don't know how the anime will handle this one. They wouldn't let Sarutobi get stabbed by a metal sword after all. God knows how they are going to handle people stabbing themselves and getting beheaded.

28. Even

well, they showed when Sakon and Ukon were torn apart by Kiba and Akamarus Garouga... I dunno...

29. kulgan18

BUt why did they remove gato's decapitation then?? Because it wouldnt have made a difference of because they had to??

I think that is the point. I dont know how is the law over there so i cant comment but i want to know whats the deal here.