1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

[328] Dragon King

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by ouroborus, Oct 19, 2006.

1. ouroborus 団扇祭

Unlike Western Chess, Shogi pieces can be promoted to gain greater movement. A promoted Shogi piece has a different name written on the piece.

In Asuma and Shikamaru's Shogi game, it shows Asuma moving a promoted rook while he is talking about who is the king. A promoted rook is also called a "Dragon King".

The dragon king has the moves of a rook and a king, allowing it to move diagonally by one space in addition to its ordinary moves. The arguement against Naruto being the King is the King has the most limited moves, but Naruto is a character who has gone from being seen as nearly useless by the other Jounin in the Chuunin Exam (Asuma included) to the potential he has now. That change in Asuma's eyes could be seen as "promoted".

Wiki for Shogi:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
    Tags:
  2. Spy_Smasher Well-Known Member

Excellent little detail. This is why we have the Library. ;)

3. Trov Evil Conservative

Thank you. Glad someone has realized that this isn't regular Chess, it's Shogi. Makes much more sense if people begin to think about it like that.

4. Fenix Pie Vendor

Assuming they understand Shogi, which I dont nor do I want to spend the time to.

if someone happens to post some explanation, like the one the original poster did, i'd read it

5. Majob Leatherneck

Not true. If a pawn in western chess advances to the opponents back rank, it can be promoted to anything except a King.

I'm guessing there aren't too many chess players here.

6. DeepThought I See What You Did There...

^ I knew that

Also... checkers get promoted (lol)

7. ouroborus 団扇祭

Oops. You're right. I forgot about that. It's been a while since I've played chess and usually when I do my pawns are all horribly murdered before they can get that far.

Shogi is different in the way they have different names for everything, so the rest of the post is good. I think. :p

8. Majob Leatherneck

Damn... I forgot all about checkers. Haven't played that game for years.....

9. Lion Takemusu

How about hidan, he could also be seen as a promoted rook. :amuse

10. ouroborus 団扇祭

I did think of Hidan when I first saw that picture. At first I thought it was clever forshadowing considering Hidan (whose name means rook) killed Asuma.

But then I saw that a promoted rook is called a dragon king and thought given they are talking about the king it would apply more to the king than Hidan.

However, it is also a good bet Hidan's going to become the target of Naruto's ultimate jutsu, so it is kind of interesting if the promoted rook killed the Rook.

11. J.J. FeKl Seldom posts

12. Neji <marquee><font color="yellow"><b>▪ GB Prodigy ▪</b

fail. ando already put this out

13. geG Very Rude

No, ando just said that the King was Lee.

14. ouroborus 団扇祭

Do you mind sharing where he said that? :notrust

Because I searched every Asuma and King related thread for Dragon and found nothing. So as far as I can tell I was the first one to put this out.

15. Shishi-O Oda Is God

* bewildered* uh? naruto is a dumb ass, the training episodes where he was basically drooling when kakashi tried to explain it to him,..hurt me, kishi went out of his way to show naruto as a dumb ass.

the dragon king i asume has some sort of ,... don't know the word i'm looking for.

16. Rhaella nothing but the rain

Very nice thread, ouroborus. I wish I understood more about shougi, because I'm sure that there are probably many more little details like this. :)

17. Kaitlyn Faeries>All

Same here....very symbolic!!! This is a good thread!

18. Gai-Sifu The Wild Green Beast of Raabu

19. S.O.T.R.S Sasori Of The Red Sand

wow nice

but if i get wat u r saying, this means that u r guessing naruto is a promoted rook (dragon king)

who is the king then? (real one on the board)

20. dragonbattousai The Lost Jedi

No Luffy is the King!!! It makes sense, Kishimoto says he reads One Piece, so Asuma must read One Piece, which is a character made by Kishimoto, therefore, Asuma is telling Shikamaru that Luffy will be Pirate King!

Yes that is a stupid random thought and I hope it burns in hell.

Now for my real thought.

Someone translated and had Asuma tell Shikamaru that he was the king? This is the translation by Stevo:

Asuma: I have never managed to beat you once, and so I have earned my place in Shougi... and as for the 'King', I believe I've left it all for you. Come closer... and I'll let you in... on who it is.

[Asuma whispers to Shikamaru]
    Shikamaru: Asuma! You said you...

21. Naruko Supporting Staff

Interesting detail to know. Still not sure it's Naruto though, simply based on Shikamaru's reaction/words when Asuma tells him who/what it is. Hopefully time will tell.

(Brucelee did a text trans also, slightly different, but his words about the King also make it somewhat ambigious as to it being Naruto. I guess i'd expect a reaction like 'Asuma...him?! vs 'Asuma...you...' if Naruto was the King).

22. Dionysus Brandy and Death

Well, the only logical problem is that Akatsuki aren't after a Dragon King to "win." A king cannot be promoted.

We could look at it only through the names, however, and ignore the rules of the game. He's a King that can move like a Rook. Or a Bishop. After the training anyways.

23. Ofkinheimer Active Member

Naruto will use his elemental manipulation to from a wind dragon.

24. Mizura Meh

That's very interesting! :thumbs

25. HinataGuardian Member

I'm decently sure that the "Dragon King/Promoted Rook" is a reference to Shikamaru becoming a Chunnin. He would be considered a promoted obviously because of his current status. That and Asuma gained an appreciation for the son he never had in Shikamaru. After all, it seems like the lesson left by the Sandaime was a love of your subordinates/underlings. From Asuma's perspective, Shikamaru was his closest student to who he was a Father figure too and an important student

26. louis We are Lasers-Lupe Fiasco

i still believe that the king is naruto

27. QuoNina Active Member

Very interesting interpretation, ouroborus. :grin

Not sure if this is posted before, but I just noticed an alternative look at the picture is one pawn (Azuma!?) might to be "sacrificed" to the promoted rook ("promoted" Hiden). Correct me if I am wrong.

28. zounds-_ The real nine tails.

The thing is that Naruto in many ways is limited, at least used to be limited.

For example:

The elders: Who wishes for him to remain in the village rather then being in the "risk zone" doing missions and stuff.

Also The 3rd intentionally forbade anyone to mention or try to tell naruto that he has 9fox inside of him. So in a few ways he could be looked upon as the king with the limited movements.

Im sure I could put up more arguements but meh too tired ;). Hope you get my point.

29. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

ouroborus gets more thumbs up, meant to comment when i saw this yesterday. Very interesting little theory and would make sense if it was true ^_^

(and disregard the GB guys >.>)

30. floopyliangchu a thousand yrs of pain

v.interesting indeed, most of the points that i wanted to say were kinda said already but oh well...

if it is true, i'd like to see naruto;s new jutsu based on a dragon...
    and as for the dragon king as appose to the 'actual king' i would go as far as to look at it from a macro perspective.

that being the actual king being something like alll the tailed demons or the main goal that their working for. (something along those lines)