1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Come join the KCC Haiku Contest -- Summer!
    Entries due by August 17th at 2:30 PM UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice

[328] Hidan is the first

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Kimi Sama, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Kimi Sama

Hidan is the first Akatsuki to kill someone important, anyone else find that an interesting choice by Kishimoto?

While almost all Akatsuki members have gotten the chance to kick the arses of established powerful characters to show they mean business, Hidan is the only one so far to actualy kill someone of consequence.

Hidan has only even been around for a handful of chapters, and yet can claim the prestige of being the first amongst Akatsuki to kill an important long standing protagonist, and indeed the first to do so since Oro killed Sarutobi way-back-when. That's a pretty huge deivation from the normal Shounen way of things.

What do you think of this development?

I myself am quite pleased Kishimoto did this. To have a relative unknown show up and kill a longstanding character like Asuma throws a huge amount of unpredictability into the mix, and from now on we can never be sure any one will survive an encounter because they are well liked or because the enemy is unimportant.

Obviously alot of characters are never going to die. But I'd say this even puts almost anyone outside of Team 7 into the firing range, especialy the older generations.

Think this is a one off, or is there more to come?

Tags:
  2. Megaharrison Retired Staff

Hidan was the first villain to kill off a major good guy period since Orochimaru took down Sarutobi. I guess you could include the AL with Gaara, but he didn't stay dead.

Anyway, this puts to rest the whole "Kishimoto never kills off good characters" argument. You can say how irrelevant asuma is and blah blah, but he's had more screentime then Neji.

3. Shizor

a whole arc dedicated to you will do that.

4. atom

Anyone notice how Hidan is a one trick pony?

5. Megaharrison Retired Staff

Well a whole arc dedicated to a character certainly doesn't make that character irrelevant...No?

6. SGLP

He killed one of the worst Jounin I've ever seen. Asuma was the weakest link, goodbye!

Now if he would just kill the other useless characters that add nothing important to the story and suck as much as Asuma did.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  7. Dariusd

Guess when you start seeing more of a character you haven't seen before, that character's death is certain. It's nice to know no more random scenes of Asuma doing nothing. Now when is Tenten going to get her limelight...

If Shikamaru was smart he would turn Asuma's body in for the money, and retire find himself a nice wife, wouldn't have a bothersome life.

8. atom

LMAO. Yeah, Shikamaru could go have some buttsecks with Temari (You didnt forget about his butt body did ya?)

9. Majob

Make an Arc to give a quick backstory and a (not so glorious) death to a secondary character.

Makes you wonder if Ten Ten might have an arc before she dies......

10. Shizor

11. atom

Who the hell is Tenten? Is that a filler character? If so.. no filler!

12. SGLP

Probably. A lot of people talk about it like Kishimoto made it though. So, your guess is as good as mine.

13. Kimi Sama

Yeah Kishi pussied out and replaced Gaara with Chiyo, which was a total cop out. Because who gave a shit about her?
    Also with Oro, Sarutobi technically did kill himself, and at any rate it was a heroic sacrifice, where as this time Asuma simply got wasted. Only other time that has happened at all was Hayate getting butchered by Baki.

Mm. But it's a hell of a trick, no?

But yeah I figure Hidan will be killed next time he fights. Seeing the exact same again would be very dull.

Yeah! He should kill off everyone who isn't Team 7!
    We need all the other characters. You'd prefer if we only focused on Team 7 for the last 300 chapters? Cause that wouldn't get old.

Besides, Asuma wasn't that bad. With the exception of Gai's recent owning of the Kisame-shoten, Asuma has been more impressive than him for the entire series, yet no one is braying for his blood.

14. Jin-E

Its logical that Kishi choose Hidan to break the deadlock when it commed to killing important good guys. Remember Hidan's religion=no survivors. And since Hidan probably will be finished off by someone soon, Kishi probably got him to kill Asuma so that people wouldn't believe Akatsuki in general and Hidan in particular were just a bunch of failed losers.

This will hopefully revitalize the story, depending on where Kishi is going with this.

15. atom

Akatsuki
    _______

Kakashi - Attempted to kill Deidara, only managed with Elbow, arm gets sewed back on by Kazuku

Gai - Completely owns Kisame with no help what so ever from anyone else (*COUGH, Kakashi, Asuma)

Kakashi - With the help of Naruto, Sakura, and Chiyo (whom is Kage Level), beats a 30% Itachi with difficulty.

Asuma - Fails to defeat Hidan and gets owned. (With help of 2 Random Nin's and Shikamaru)

Pre Skip
    _______

Gai - Owns Gaara's sand
    Kakashi - Fights Zabuza and accidently kills Haku.. Zabuza kills himself.
    Kakashi - Poops in pants trying to fight Orochimaru
    Kakashi - Gets tired fighting random nins
    Gai - Completely owns Random Nin's and brags about abonormal speed and strength
    Asuma - Nowhere to be found; Helps Shikamaru take down 8 Nins quickly

I would say more but really no need. Gai has shown better performance then any other Konoha Ninja. I mean Gai is the only person in the entire Manga that owns people far above his strength... Lee trys but gets owned. Kakashi tried but gets owned. I mean.. How could Kishimoto let someone with the name GUY get hurt... I mean THIS GUY IS GUNNA KILL YA

16. Naruko Supporting Staff

I think more deaths are forthcoming, but I think Hidan starts it off because the method he uses is tremendously, well, distasteful. His durability renders most of their otherwise awesome teamwork and skills null and void. So we don't even see Asuma get a chance to do really cool jutsu, it's just over too fast. And then the way Hidan mouths off, disrespects everyone, relishes Asuma's pain, then busts a nut at the killing blow is just...sick. It's hard to watch someone close to you die....but to watch them die *badly*, and to watch the killer 1)enjoy it and 2) get away, just elevates the desire for revenge by his survivors to whole new levels.

Now they not only have to avenge his loss of life, but his pride as well.

17. lyrs_amv

Actually, this was the weakest display of Jounin power ever shown by Kishimoto.

18. warnotwars

its like a prisoner on death row gettign a last meal :laugh

19. lazer85

im glad someone died! but i wish asuma put up a little more of a fight, its like he didn't even stand a chance, nothing. I mean yeah they did cut his head off, but asuma used no cool jutsus or anything. sad.

20. QuoNina

I hope he is the last few to die. He is a great villain. Cruel, fearless, and playful.

21. geminis

I wish Asuma had put up a better fight, but this way is more realistic (so to speak). He didn't know what Hidan's aility was and paid the piper for it.

22. juUnior

Yes, and now Shika knows and will kill Hidan next time , revenge time xD

23. kombak

for me it means one thing....Hidan is going to die , he is going to die soon maybe but he is going to die getting totaly owned , his next opponent will make him looking like a freakin idiot a noob

24. Lion

It's fitting, because of Hidan's personality. He is extremely annoying. He's like Neji during the Naruto fight, with the change that Hidan can actually win. :amuse

Who better to kill of great characters than the character that everybody finds annoying (when looking at him from the point of view of the Konoha people).

25. Red Viking

Call it what you want but, given what we've seen, that's all he freakin needs.

Anyway, this should quiet everyone who complained how Neji and Chouji should have died and how Kishimoto 'sold out.' Myself, I'm surprised Kishimoto killed Asuma off. However, this removes the 'safety net' on pretty much everyone outside of the 12 rookies and possibly Sai.

26. Ghost05

I don't think anyone ever expects to go up against someone immortal...and someone like Hidan who can curse you and make all damage on him affect you, there's not much you can do about that.

I'd call Asuma the unluckiest Jounin before I'd call him the weakest Jounin.

27. the scorpion's tail

Yeh Hidan is the first to kill a good guy. (from Akatsuki.). Well Leader killed Gaara but that doesn't count. But Asuma isn't weak. He just had a bad match up.

RIP Asuma. :(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  28. Crimson Scorpio

Asuma was the first in line of the systematic execution of the older generation of ninjas. By the end of the manga, it is likely that most everyone outside of Rookie 15+Sai will be biting the grave. (Yes this includes the nin-gods that are Gai and Kakashi):( :( .Sob..

29. MS81

Yeah I wish somehow Tsunade would've came out of nowhere to heal Asuma.

30. Hagen

Many people (including me) thought that Hidan was crap when he got beheaded
    Hidan is redeemed now! what a badass! he killed a named character and we all have to thank him for that,

Blame Tsunade and her crappy decissions.
    ?oh, lets send some genins against the ppl who defeated 2 jounins!?
    ?lets send genins against the Akatsukis who defeated the Kazekage!?
    ?lets send a jounin and 3 chunnins against an Akatsuki pair!?