1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

[328+] If Asuma lives, would you be bitter?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Odlam, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Odlam

Exactly what the thread says. Think of this as a possible therapy thread in advance.

Granted, a big ol' red arrow is strongly pointing in the direction of dead for the series, but Gaara was so dead that Deidara was using him for furniture and a chew toy for his clay Chocobo, and now he's sitting back in Suna getting some rest in his kage sized bed.

I ask this because I firmly believed that Kishi wouldn't kill him without giving him a better last stand, but there's something I fear even worse. The manner in which Kishi has "killed" Asuma leaves basically the same taste in my mouth as when Gaara died, which could be an omen of things to come. If he hadn't gone out so "punkish" and more of his issues had been resolved first, then I would have been sure he would rest in peace.

This is asking

1) if Asuma does somehow "survive" this, would you be happy, upset, bitter, etc. and why?

2) In what way could you have Asuma survive this, and it be a more meaningful contribution to the story than him dying?

EDIT - taking my own opinion out, because I want people responding to the questions, not to my own opinion answers

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
    Tags:
  2. Grrblt

1. If he survives, I will think that Hidan is not worthy his Akatsuki cloak and ring. Not only has he been defeated by Asuma+Shika and had to call Kakuzu for help, but if Asuma lives, then he has proven not to be able to kill with his favored method. He would in essence be an unkillable enemy that is easy to take out of combat and who can't emanate any danger whatsoever.

2. I think not.

Why is this called [298]?

3. Ofkinheimer

I would think that the past two weeks have displayed more than enough opinions on Asuma's potential (realized) death.....

4. Seelas

1) if Asuma does somehow "survive" this, would you be happy, upset, bitter, etc. and why?

I'd be very upset. It's not that I dislike Asuma, I actually think he's a pretty cool dude. But if Kishimoto pulls of one more "fake death" then I'm going to lose my ability to ever fear for the life of any protagonist. The symbolism in the preceding chapters all pointed to Asuma dying. And while it may seem arbitrary to pick Asuma to kill off, the fact that anyone was killed off really makes the Akatsuki look a lot more menacing.

2) In what way could you have Asuma survive this, and it be a more meaningful contribution to the story than him dying?

I like the idea of Sakura using medical jutsu, but she really hasn't been a player this arc, and to be honest...well, I really don't see myself enjoying that as much as Asuma just dying. If it weren't for Chouji, Neji and Gaara then maybe I'd feel differently, but the series has had its fair share of revivals, and I'm just plain tired of them.

5. 4th's Legacy

I would be somewhat suprised if he survives. It has been a long time now that Kishi has been foreshadowing his demise.

Before Asuma's death, the Akatsuki's presense seem's like it was only personal with Naruto. Well guess what...It is now personal to Team 10. It is no longer Akatsuki vs. Naruto... Chouji, Ino and Shikamaru are now thoroughly involved on a personal basis. Asuma's death has opened a huge gateway into the impact on Konoha's future and future plot devices.

6. B

Yeah, I'd be all "dude.... all that drama for him to live?"

I mean, I like Asuma.
    But I doubt he lived because that fucker dropped like a rock and probably wont be getting back up.

7. Rokudaime

actually I would be more happy for him to be alive.

8. Pyroneko 28

Honestly, I don't care. Asuma dying really only serves the purpose of satisfying our roman-esque bloodlust. On the other hand, he most likely wouldn't really contribute alive either.

Kakashi did have his sharingan uncovered when Chiyo performed her tensei, so it's quite possible that he now knows it (although if he were to use it, it would most likely be on one of his students)

9. DarkLordOfKichiku

I'm sort of torn here. I wouldn't hate have Asuma back, but.. He died in a quite "good" manner there from the looks of things, so if he just jumped up saying "HEY! IT WAS ALL A JOKE!" or something next chapter or so, it's going to ruin a good moment. But still.. *shrugs*. We'll see what happens, I suppsoe. While I know that with Gaara being brought back to life basically means that no death is really "guranteed", I think Asuma is as dead as he can be. If nothing else because that I think that Shikamaru may burn his body to keep it safe from Hidan & Kakuzu and so far we know of no jutsu that can bring back a destroyed body from the dead...

10. Trigger_Happy00

And yes, I would be bitter.

11. Otherside

The only it would be ok if he were to die for real relatively soon, but this time atleast taking Hidan with him.

But if that were too happen, I think it would be great. There is so much stuff unachieved in terms of Asuma's role. Ok so we know he was the son of Sarutobi. Alot of people already strongly suspected this. We also know he was a member of some previousely unmentioned and still unimportant group of monks. Big deal.

What about him and Konohamaru? What about him and Kurenai? What about him and Kurenai's baby? What about Enma!?

If he were to come back, resolve these things, and then die again, I think it would be the best case scenario. But if he were too come back and then become totally inactive, a-la Gaara? No thanks.

12. 7thHokage

I wouldnt be surprised to see Asuma survive after all this is a shonen manga character we are talking about. Though I dont see how he can possibly survive this. Maybe kishi would show Old lady Tsunade reaching a new level in medical ninjutsu to save him.

1 I think Asuma can contribute to the story if he lives,
    One he already had a taste of what Akatsuki powers are like so he would prepared himself for a rematch.
    2 he can be used to help Shikamaru reach the next level, I mean Naruto wont be able to defeat all these Akatsuki members on his own , after what Hidan pulled who is better suited to take him out than Shikamaru. I think Assuma might pull some secret Sarutobi training that he couldnt master and teaches it to the brainiac shikamaru.

3 he can be there to be a good dad to Kurenai's baby:amuse

13. TheoDerek

I actually would rather have him live. I'm kinda mad because we didn't get to see any kickass jutsus.

And of course there is the unresolved issues thing. :p

14. Naruko Supporting Staff

No, cause i'm an adult and Kishi has always done a good job telling his story and I trust his choices in doing so. If* Asuma survived this fight, somehow, I would be pleased, I like the character - and I don't think it would cheapen anything but it clearly shows how bad ass Akatsuki is, and with all the healing skill concentrated in Konoha I could say yeah i'll go with it.

It's just a story, I don't see a reason to get bitter over the choice the writer makes, we aren't the one's writing it after all - hell most of us aren't even paying for it. I'll take what I can get and like it, dangit!:p

(I don't think he's gonna make it tho >< )

PS - for those that would be disappointed because they would lose their ability to believe a main character can die, this could be Kishi's point - if a majority of people manage to survive, imagine how much more of a blow it will be at the end if Naruto or a redeemed Sasuke dies...and can't be brought back. I could see the whole village going well heck, we'll use edo tensei or whatever, bring out Tsunade, we'll have em back in no time and...no? They're really gone? It'd be a sucker punch. But I don't think Kishi writes like that either...he doesn't say 'I want this effect so i'll do *this* to attain it' - he just has a story to tell and what happens, happens).

15. dregoth

If he lives I'll smoke a whole pack, drowned in bitterness.

If he dies I'll smoke a whole pack, drowned in happiness.

Anyway it will kill me a bit more.

16. tilmaz

he died and left a few questions behind... who is the king? what was he going to say to Kakashi when kakashi was resting? And what was his exact relationnship with 3rd , konohamaru. if anybody can tell the answers, he is free to die. otherwise, kishi won't let him die.

17. Lu Bu

If the spoiler script is correct, then he told Shikamaru who the king is.

So he's free to go.

18. Sexta Espada

If he lives for a GOOD reason, as in kickass or important to the story, I'll let it slide. but if he's revived for no good reason cept the lack of Kishi's balls, I'm gonna be mad as heck for a bit, then realize we'll probably never see him again, and pretty much forget all of it.

19. KuwabaraTheMan

No. He already had his final words. If he had 'died' without that, I would be fine with it.

But he obviously isn't coming back. Not after that.

20. Marsala

1) I'd be furious. And bitter, I suppose. It would be worse than Pell surviving, and that was pretty ridiculous. It would mean that no one can ever die. Which would be great in real life, but makes for uncompelling fiction.

2) Kurenai waking up to find Asuma in the shower and learning that the past year of the manga was all a dream. Seriously, there isn't any plot device that could justify Asuma returning. The Dallas solution would be so hilarious that I would enjoy it, but it would still be terrible storytelling.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  21. Naruto_Rasengan

I would be far from bitter if Asuma were to survive. I would actually be quite excited.

Asuma is one of the Konoha Jounin that i wanted to see go all out in an epic battle, against a equally skilled opponent. I think there is a lot that we could have seen from, such as some wind jutsu and what not, but oh well.

22. Xan-Nella

It all very well for him to 'have a future role', to not have confessed to Kurenai yet, to not have seen Shika Ino and Chouji become Jounins.

Thats just it...

People die with unfinished buisness.

Its one of the saddest parts of death.

23. crono220

if he somehow survived words could not describe the bitterness i would have not only for the series but kishimoto as a writer... i was angrey that choji and neji survived their fights, I was pissed when garra was resurected even though it was well done... This would be unforgivable...But i doubt that's going to happen.

24. Naruto_Rasengan

Haha, and i suppose you could do better? :huh

If people don't like the way Kishimoto does things why read his manga at all? :notrust

25. Trov

I wouldn't mind. I like Asuma, I'm still kinda sad to see him go though... Team 10 will definately take it hard.

26. louis

I would be kind of mad and happy at the same time

27. Franckie

It would be lame to create emotion and depth by making Asuma says his last words, only to have him survive in the end. So yes, I would be a bit bitter if Asuma survives.

28. Shadowknux

I think you're misunderstanding things.

Of course people like the way Kishimoto writes his manga. But every once and a while, they disagree with something. And when people have been turned off by Neji, Chouji, and Gaara surviving, it's understandable that they are worried about Asuma living.

Let's face it, Asuma has a great death scene, and him living would cheapen the series, and Kishimoto's manga would probaby be refered to in the future as 'That one manga where nobody dies'. It doesn't mean that people would absolutely hate him from then on and will refuse to ever read the series again, but it's not like someone isn't allowed to slightly lower their opinion of someone else's storytelling skills.

29. LazyShikamaru200

1) Happy for the mere fact that I am a Team 10 fanboy.

2) PnJ ftw! It will be a great PnJ. Gaara shouldve died. He was already seen too much. Asuma just got a slim chance to shine and ripripstabstab.

30. Dionysus

I'd just congratulate the guy who drew the chapter I just looked over. :nuts