1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

[328] Shikamaru related

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by cognitivedissonance, Oct 18, 2006.

Should shika start smoking

1. yup

44 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. nope

36 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. maybe

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. for a while...

12 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. cognitivedissonance

How cool would it be if Shika starts getting all bitter and smoking. It would add SO much to his character!
    I also love it because it's so non-pc. Popular comic book characters smoking! Cool!!:nuts

So what do you think?

Tags:
  2. Lu Bu

Isn't he like, 15? I don't think Kishimoto's handlers would allow it. Besides, smoking is too troublesome. He was just trying to honor Asuma. That's all.

I think Ino will be the one to take up Asuma's smoking when she gets older. It will help with her weight.

3. Rashman

no i dont want the dude to start smoking...only once in a while...for azuma at least :)

4. Detective

Flag:
    Canada

Right now Shikamaru is only doing it as a last right for Asuma, although he may light up on the anniversary of his sensei's death as he gets older.

5. Yamato (Inactive)

He is underage! Minors can't smoke! ZOMFG OMG what are they gonna do in american version?!!!

I know, they will use apple just like with Naruto stabbing himself!!!111!oneone!

6. Rokudaime

shikamaru probably only smoke 1 time every years to remind of Asuma..

7. Godeiche

I'd like him to start smoking until Asuma's avenged. He'd finally get rid of Hidan himself, then light one up, only to use Hidan's cracked open (but still talking) head as an ashtray... Oooohhhh... The sweet smoke of vengence! :laugh

And minors can't BUY cigarettes, but that sure as hell didn't prevent me form smoking when I was 13...

Now I'd kinda like the smoking Shika.

0Reiatsu said:
    They'll add a note, in the scene when Asuma breathes his last, saying something like: "Public Warning - Smoking (and fighting Akatsuki) can kill you".
    :amazed

8. Lion

As of now, I'm saying maybe or until Hidan's dead.

9. Dionysus

Shikamaru will perfect the burning ash jutsu.

lolz

10. sunshine and gasoline

It would be awesome if he started smoking full-time. Mostly because it's not likely to happend.

11. Ofkinheimer

What exactly would be the relevance of Shika smoking?

12. Dionysus

He should also drop some acid and strike up a few spliffs. Utilise that genius to make some freaky jutsu.

Time to be a junkie, Shiky.

13. Woofie

He's either 16 or almost 16, which is the legal age to by cigarettes in my country... >_>; Don't know about Japan though.

Anyway, I think it would be cool. It's not that I love smoking or anything (I don't smoke myself), but it would suit Shikamaru quite well and it would be nice for him to carry on one of Asuma's traditions. And the un-PCness of it is kind of appealing. :p

14. Naruko Supporting Staff

Maybe not as regularly as Asuma but I wouldn't mind seeing Shika break out a cig at certain special moments, or when he's really* serious. Like he does his lil meditation pose when hes thinking, and if you see him do that, then follow with a lit cig, kiss your ass goodbye type thing. But since it's a special link, tribute thingy to Asuma I'm not sure if I want to see him devalue it's impact by being a chain smoker with a fag hanging out of the corner of his mouth 24/7.

It's a nice touch by Kishi either way though, no matter how he handles it.

15. Crowe

Minors can't smoke in Naru-verse but can kill?

16. SuperTyphoon

17. Hexa

I'm pretty sure smoking by minors isn't allowed in anime. The 16 year old, chain-smoking sister in the Ichigo Mashimaro manga was declared to be 20 in the anime supposedly to get around regulations against such.

A bitter, smoking Shikamaru would make for a much cooler Shikamaru, though.

18. Soljah

Shikamaru should'nt start smoking cause then he'd end up like asuma. And i think i realized that all this time in the manga Asuma alwayz smoked when it was easy kinda on little baby missions etc even during the arc where they went after konoha the sound and sand he was smoking. But when he had to be serious he put it out and his lungs were too bad haha.

19. snakeye123

he should have a cigar every now and again, - like after a particularly hard battle.

after the sound 5 saga, that would be a good time to have one - hes relitavely unharmed and is getting the girl :)

20. Futagokage

No, i just do not see him smoking, only once in a while in Asuma's Tomb, in would be cool because in this times most fictional characters are viceless, and even if its bad for health, smiking is a reality and I think under this circumstances it would be really cool.

In the amercican/european version censored Asuma's smiking like they did with Smoker in OP? Because if that was the case this part is going to lose a lot of feeling.

21. Grrblt

22. Yamato (Inactive)

i think that it'd be cool he would light one up on certain occasions, like each year after asuma's death, or when he wins a particularly hard battle. it would suck if he started chain smoking...

24. Shishi-O

no, absolutely not. that would be something sucky to pass on. i mean lung cancer?

25. koike88

yeah it would be cool, when he was in a 'troublesome situation' he would light up a cig, and began smoking the cigaret untill he was done with figuring out a solution.
    Or it would be even cooler, if he used those cigarettes for a henge into Asuma.:D

26. Godeiche

In a Shika/Hidan showdown, Shika could show himself at first in a Asuma henge, throwing Hidan in confusion, not knowing anymore if his God is with him or not, thus hurting his faith badly. Then his curse would be rendered (in HIS mind at least) useless, allowing Shika to compete with him in hand-to-hand combat, since neither Shika nor Hidan have GREAT taijutsu skills...

Speculations...

EDIT: Oh, and on a side note...

What's bad in cigarettes is mainly what the tobacco companies add to the tobacco when making the cigarettes per se. Who knows if the Narutoverse's smokes are safe or not? For all we know, no one's ever blamed Asuma for smoking, right? Unless I missed it or forgot about it... It's manga, remember. Real people don't blow fire or summon giant toads, and real cigarettes do kill you in the long run. If manga people can summon big-ass frogs, why couldn't maga cigarettes be harmless?

27. Lu Bu

Sounds like the last time he smokes. See. Kishimoto taught us a good leason. Smoking is bad, kids. And knowing is half the battle!

28. geG

Yeah, according to brucelee's translation, it seems he hates it.

I guess he was just finishing that last one to honor Asuma. Or something like that.

29. rorykage

i don;t think they are seen as children sho being underag shouldn;t matter. they are only viewed as children in a condescending way from villains, and our their sensei's when they demonstrate a lack of wisdom in a given situation. otherwise, they are full fledged ninja, full fledged soldiers in the fire country's military, if they are free to fight, kill and die in battle they are obviously stressed enough to smoke. what is legal age for tobacco products in japan? when i was in high school we had asian eschange students who smoked and they said that cigarettes aren't hard to come by (i didn't ask about legal age at the time).

anyway, i think it would be a nice tribute for shikamaru to start smoking, and speaking as a smoker, i love to see new people light and join the dark side!

30. DJ-Kage

Naruto could use a badass, smoking character pissed off on the entire world.

Kind of like those main characters during film noir era. You know, when men were men, and women were pretty crying props.