1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

[328] The big Asuma thread... (spoilers, of course)

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Marsala, Oct 18, 2006.

Should Asuma have died?

1. Yeah, i'm sad but was necessary for story issues.

137 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. Yeah, that pawn had to go!

22 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. No, wtf he ends up being the 3rd's son then dies?

37 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. No, someone else should have died. </3 kishi.

18 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh

Well, it looks like Asuma didn't make it after all. Just from the spoiler pictures released, it's clear that his death will be very touching and tastefully done. We will probably see the impact of this shocking event on the other characters for the rest of the manga.

This death broke the usual shonen manga mold, as a relatively young character died without making some grand sacrifice. In fact, poor Asuma achieved very little, with his crowning moment of decapitating Hidan quickly reversed. I hope he won't be belittled as "lame" because of this; remember that flashy jutsu alone do not make a great warrior.

Of course, I certainly wouldn't use this sad occasion to gloat or anything.

this thread is mori~endorsed to be a general thread about Asuma for discussing his death, the fact that kishi killed someone off and also to pay last respects to the character

Tags:
  2. Raptor Vagabond

Diying against an Akatsuki is hardly lame. Those guys can destroy villages, kill kages, capture jinchuwhatever and come out of all that without a scratch.

It was the most probable outcome anyway. It's just that for some strange reason people like to go against reason in this forum

3. Halo True Love Conquers All

Sigh. The chapter isnt even out yet and I'm quite sad to see the conclusion of this fight even though I anticipated it. I certainly didn't want to see another Sarutobi gone, not to mention another difficult conclusion for a Shika mission. However, this will serve as a huge impetus for the rest of Konoha.

Particularly, that picture of Shika taking a drag is quite emotional.

4. NinRockLeeSama The Original Super Saiyan

It was inevitable, what with all the foreshadowing over the last couple chapters and the new focus on him and such.

BUT! just because it was obivious he was (burnt) toast, it doesn't mean people want to believe it. It's just like when you watch Titanic, you wanna believe every time that maybe THIS time they'll see the iceberg.

Sad thing is, they never do.

5. mayumi Well-Known Member

waaaaaaaaaaaaah! now to see if asuma had any last words. but will we ever get explanation of sarutobi clan now? i certainly hope kakashi or yamato explains that to naruto.

6. Mizura Meh

Too good to be true! Too good to be true! :nuts

*checks spoilers*

Wtf, Shikamaru becomes a smoker? :notrust

7. Futagokage Runaway Kage

I do not think that his death was lame, he fight against a power beyond him and died, that's all, that's easy, now all of you who gamble in favor of his death, is pay time.

I am sad, because there are going to be 1001 threads about Asuma's death this week, but I want to rep Marsala for being the first one. Now what is more important is the trascendence of the event.

Asuma's death is a strange Parody of his father's, they both dying as shinobis, against formidable opponents, but Asuma did not have a chance, and what make this a good death scenario, is that in manga this kind of death is rather strange, the meaningless death.

Because there is always the heroical sacrifice, here there was not, his death was like any other murder, hopeless.

But his work is not done yet, after all, his assasins still wants his body...

8. KageMane Eiqmcsqrd

If it did, its 100% Asuma is dead.

@Marsala: I have to agree with that post u linked. Everybody was bitching on "how come Asuma doesnt die OMFG theyre AKATSUKI!!" and now they will be bitching on "OMFG Sandaime's son is so lame, he died and didnt achieve anything!"

:mad :mad

9. Lastier ̣

The problem with this whole thing is that I really expected it to happen, but now that Asumas death is revealed I am really sad and a bit angry. I dont know how others feel about it, but thats my current emotion state.

10. Lion Takemusu

But a very interesting one. What's going to happen to those blades (yeah, I forgot the name) he has. How about Shikamaru? He's basically been without purpose the whole story, is that going to change now?

11. Zabuza-san Member

i saw this comeing, im sad :( RIP Asuma u were a heavy smoker.

12. Raptor Vagabond

That's how it's always been every time a new chapter comes out. they bitch if someone farts, if someone doesn't they bitch too. That's how it is.

For Asuma, not to be the bad guy or anything but he was completely overkilled. In the long run he couldn't even scratch anyone of those 2 guys. But then again these guys are the strongest enemies out there. Nothing surprising there.

13. mayumi Well-Known Member

"I am just a pawn" has a whole another meaning now because asuma death was setup for just that. character death required for the manga.

14. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

Marsala was right. Bravo my deer friend, bravo.

No surprise really, he was going to die anyway. This only makes Akatsuki more of a threat. Hidan killed an elite Jounin, he's an Akatsuki member. A slap in the face of the people that thought it wasn't possible and I'm glad Asuma died.

I'm only pissed about him not going all out but ah well, we can't expect everyone to go all out and that's how battles are. Sometimes you do your best and then you're killed and sometimes you get killed before we see what you can truly do. Asuma's death is the later. Either way he's an elite Jounin killed by an Akatsuki member before we knew what he could do exactly. Akatsuki is a force to be reaconed with.

15. Futagokage Runaway Kage

@Marsala: Would you like to change (tomorrow or in a few hours) the thread name for "The Official Asuma's death" or something like that, trying to avoid the millions to come.

Now we have to see at the future, yes Asuma's death, maybe we will see a Funeral next week (or maybe this one, I am so excited that I tend to forgot).

sadly, I think that the best moment of Asuma was this battle, In the anime he has that short but excellent fight against Otinin that tried to kill Shikamaru, but he does not have many screentime.

His "fight" with Kisame was too short. But that is what make his death a triumph for Kishimoto, he killed an important character (well, "important") who has not achieve anything and that his best moment was also his last one.
    In fact, I always see the decapitation of Hidan as a lose, they managed to defaet an Akatsuki mwmber, Why? Because if Kakuzu were not there, the fight would be over (i do not see Hidan body still moving), But that was no the case, Kakuzu was there and if Akatsuki travel in couples is to prevent this things.

Thi is what also make his death a great one, after hundred and hundred of deaths in shonen, were there are heroic sacrifices and all out battles, Asuma did not make either.

My condolences to Kurenai(remember, always tell your feelings, you do not know when that karate kid bully may kill your tabacco man), and to Konohamaru.

16. Sho Active Member

I honestly hope Kurenai will be the one to finish off Hidan now. It doesn't matter who gets Kakuzu, but I would prefer either her and/or Shikamaru be the one to find a way to beat him. Her genjutsu needs to be good for something, and she really has the best reason to beat him.

17. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh

That would be good, though it's up to the mods.

18. Jimnast Shinobi

No way, asuma is faking it as he is really tobi.

19. Aman <font color='#0000A0'>Really?</font>

20. Cardboard Jewsuke Draffut

... I am just sad our chances of seeing Enma again are next to nothing now...

21. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

this fits my theory that the only manner Hidan can actually be defeated is mentally via genjutsu since physcial attacks do diddly squat to him.

22. Spanish Hoffkage Lol. Kisame

Shika and cigarretes. Interesting combination :jk

23. Lu Bu Dynasty Warrior

Asuma or no Asuma. Shikamaru's mom is going to beat the living shit out of him when she finds out what he did.

24. Dark Uchiha Already Home

may change shikimaru for the worst also... might turn him cold blooded and he failed his pre time skipped of a comrade dying >_>

25. SaiST 鎧袖一触 Retired Staff

I'd rather not change the thread title. :/ Let's see what the other mods think though. We'll do our best to keep the repeat threads down.

26. Rikudou Sennin Member

I always figured konohamaru as the real succesor of the sandaime so...

27. someone` New Member

28. ChipsAndSnacks The Anti-Bishie

Big Tobacco Company: Maybe that scythe to the torso killed him, or maybe it was the pole through the heart...but I can tell you what didn't kill him...smoking!
    *eyes Shikamaru* Excellent...we got one.

Shika is going to be totally an emotional wreck. Fails retrieving Sasuke and almost gets two of his friends killed and this time fails stopping Akatsuki and his instructor dies. Damn man. Poor guy. Totally Shika character development in this arc.

As for the Sarutobi clan...they're like the Kennedys of the Naruto universe...well, death wise.

29. Cardboard Jewsuke Draffut

Someone would have to teach him how to summon it, and have the contract for him to sign. both people who i know of that could have done this are now dead. and a summon of that level seams to powerful for something he might have already been taught.

30. SaiST 鎧袖一触 Retired Staff

Records of the technique, possibly?