1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

[329] Flawed economics?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by leesan, Oct 26, 2006.

1. leesan

So I've just finished reading the chapter and for the most part, I was pleasantly surprised and intrigued by the economics. However, while the plan sounds nice, there were parts that bothered me. I'm not here to prove that Al's plan is flawed, but I would like to raise some objections and see where this goes.

Oh i'm also an economics major, but international monetary & macro are not my strong suits!

So Lets take a quick look at AL's claims and underlying assumptions as I understand them...

Claim: we will work for anyone! all the small villages with no force will have come to us...(especially if shit goes down)...which will give us market share, more resources, and a sizeable employed army. Then we will strategically start wars with bijyuu's to steal business away from the shinobi villages until they all close up shop! muahaha!

1. monopoly? why would all the small villages need to go to akatsuki if they can also deal with whatever problems occur by hiring shinobi from other villages. There is no barrier to competition from the other shinobi firms. The only possible barrier that can occur is if everyone is in war with each other. So no one will lend you a force unless it was a strategic way to gain allies. However with so many villages, it would take alot of different factions in the war to force ALL of the major villages to not let you hire shinobi from them.

2. Can they beat their competitors in a shinobi market There already exists a solid oligopoly. akatsuki would need to really minimize fixed and operations costs significantly enough and at the same time provide equal or better performance to even compete On top of the problem of breaking into the market. This is going to be harder than upgrading some over-used jutsu by infusing some bs elemental chakra *ahem*. Every village has pricing power, brand reputation, political connections, time-tested infrastructure and methods, and an experienced workforce. is Al going to bust out a better business model that will make up for all that and the huge ass risk premium that will come with an organization of traiterous ex-cons?

3. Villages will retaliate: Ok now assume they are settled in, and they are generating scenarios for $ by letting loose a few biyuu's here and there. AND they also have been able to convince people to hire them instead of the competition. The other villages are not STUPID. They will recognize that they are akatsuki. They will recognize that they are using the very same biyuu that was stolen from them. Their scheme will be xposed, and everyone will be united to kick their asses. The people of the sand village were coo with invading leaf because they were losing business, this is no different. All five great shinobi villages versus a startup? Could be tough, but people of these villages have families and loyalty. Akatsuki commands people with no particular allegiance (ah just like the motto) who can be bought by the combined coffers of the villages. Ahaha I can see the hidden mist buying kazuku's traiterous services.

In conclusion, this is very tricky outsourcing. Even if costs were lower, there is always advantages/needs to do things internally. Along with a slew of other complications! But yea thats all, so discuss!

Tags:
  2. QuoNina

I was just wondering why the country would trust Akatsuki army they hire when they fight another Akatsuki army from other villages?

Akatsuki could become just cheap labors for normal missions to reduce the costs but being kept away from their main military force. =D

My other questions are kind of similar to your first few points.
    -Where would they get their huge Akatsuki army to afford missions and wars?
    -Where would they get enough money to raise the soldiers?

Good luck, Akatsuki. :)

3. ab56v2

Akatsuki defied the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility: every time they pwn, they should like it a little less. They are above economics :)

4. Coaxmetal

I think Akatsuki is going to create war BETWEEN the major villages. The major villages would then be struggling against each other and have all their resources focused on fighting amoungst themselves. They would have to switch over from a peacetime economy to a wartime economy very quickly and would thus be hurt by this great switch.

This will keep the major villages occupied AND it will ensure that all available shinobi's in the major villages will be directed towards the war effort. Therefore, small countries will not be able to get hire the major villages' ninja due to them being unavailable (due to war). So the small countries will have to rely on Akatsuki as their ninja resource. The major village, since they are at war, will not be in a position to stop Akatsuki's rise.

As the economy of the entire world goes more towards war, the Akatsuki who are bread and made for war will rise in power and etc..

that is how I see it.

5. Elfberserker

Because that would mean that you would gave your money away to anothers coutry military, while Akatsuki is true neutral military organizanion.

Well they plan to create wars and mercenary army will then always get some sort job no matter what kind of skills they possess...

And Akatsuki has lot of gifted inviduals..

No that would not happen.

Remember Akatsuki is force to recon with their pokemon and Village would have to sent most of their ninjas to destroy them, which means thats villages defences are weaker so small ninja village like sound Village could then invade and destroy that village...

In otherwords ninja villages are afraid of backstabbing of other villages...Besides Akatsuki isn?t dangerous as long you can pay for their service and Akatsuki is very powerful army with its Pokemons and S-class missing nins.

6. Descent of the Lion

One answer...Bijuu.

These are like the nuclear bombs of the Naruto world and if Akatsuki can dispatch them like pokemon why wouldn't small villages that normally wouldn't have access to bijuu wouldn't use them? And there are more small villages than big nations. If Akastuki could make it affordable and supply good service, then more Shinobi will join and more Nations would prefer Akatsuki.

Village retaliation isn't an issue.... just disbach Kyuubi to take them out.

7. leesan

yea, I was thinking about that too. I suppose they may just market segment and have several subsidiaries. Kind of like a company that owns several taxies or um how gap, old navy, and banana republic are split.

- my impression is by first yanking all the shinobis from small villages or solo ones. Then eventually start courting shinobis from big villages. Companies buy divisions or court rival's workers all the time.

- yea the $ part is vague. I doubt kazuku is going to get enough bounties then lend to the group with high interest.

8. leesan

But wouldn't that beg the question of why not just send all the biyuu to destroy all the villages and just come in as the only sole shinobi organization?

As for the small villages renting biyuu...thats probably a zero sum game much like our current situation with nuclear warfare. Plus i dont think akatsuki wants to destroy villages...thats one less client...they probably want just continual warfare without necessarily utter destruction of countries/villages.

and as for affordable and good service...that was my 2nd point. Unless the current villages are very inefficient & dont have liquid assets i dont see them winning a price war. And their good service doesnt have the brand rep attached...in fact they are all criminals, which invites a hefty risk premium.

though if akatsuki can do all of this...then aside from creating the conflicts, I don't really even see them as bad guys anymore.

9. Raikiri

yeah i didn't bother to read AL's speech on his economic plans and working with villages and countries. i think in the end, akatsuki guys are just gonna say FUCK IT and threaten people into giving them money.

they could kidnap a king's daughter and ask for ransom. wait in dark alleys and mug any passerby for their wallets and watches. kisame pimps himself out to all the rich ladies. the possibilities are endless.

10. QuoNina

I would imagine they need a lot of financial power to do so... But they take missions in for little money... They do have the advantage for collection money from all countries though.
    That makes more sense now. You should be the AL. :grin

11. leesan

but if they are initially courting small countries's services...the small countries probably don't care if they hire leaf or hidden mist unless they already have a history or alliance with either. Even if small country A hates big country B...they can still choose from country B,C,D,E, etc to fulfill their ninja needs. somewhat analogously, I don't really see americans buying american cars or made in america products to stop funnelling money into "rival" country's industrys/companies.

But everyone has skills. In the real world you could have a fabulous team of chefs but a shitty business model for a restaurant which may lead to one pwned by restaurant competitors.

if pokemon were use in that manner, i would think they would be seen as a dangerous threat from countries rather than a reputable firm to do business with. If a country started busting out biological weapons to sell cures, i think most countries would object to that kind of shit. I would hope that kishi would create a world where the governments/powers that be have enough foresight to see shifts in power and dangerous activity.

12. Descent of the Lion

13. BattousaiMS

It is a flawed economic concept. He's planning to use the unemployed labour force left behind to form his mercenary army but there is a major thing that he forget's in his logic. Most unemployed tend to be the lower educated workers, meaning that there mercenary won't be the best around there. This means they are trying to be a 3rd world country trying to steal jobs and money from the first world but anyone in economics know that that will never happen because the jobs in the 1st world are so high-tech that 1 of their products always equal 2 to 5 times the value of a 3rd world product which will base themselves mainly on quantity then quality. In that sense you will always get paid lower because your trying to work at places which lacks money to begin with.

AL has a better chance of going to a shinobi village becomming it's kage and then declearing war on the country's lord itself to take over, thus taking over the shinobi jobs offered within the country and their biggest clients then follow this plan. In fact, this way he can create even more war, since war is always fuled by losses of their own people and such a country will have alot.

Just look at the current US if you want such an example about Waar is fueled by losses. Before September 11, if Bush even tried his 'war of Iraq' the democratic goverment and population will have his head. After September 11 however, people have lost civilians on WTC, so now they were more inclined to attack Iraq to get that frustration of being helpless out and thus they agree with Bush's plans (well the government).

14. leesan

Hm thats a good point. I thought about it initially but gave up on it because I wasn't quite convinced how they would manage to start world war III without the use of biyuu which pretty much everyone knows akatsuki has been running around catching.

I guess my question would be, would akatsuki be able to generate enough revenue and capture enough market share from just the small villages (which economically speaking would not be spending alot as their own economies are suffering in parallel; im assuming mild degree of globlization).

Then say after they grow to low-midsize firm, then what? enter a side in the war? Provide services to both sides? (I see a collapse if that was attempted) And if the wars are done then they have no growth to look foward to. Like the al said, peacetime barely has any work.

15. Delta Shell

I was under the impression that Akatsuki had the objective to create war.

That is to drive the major hidden villages to war with each other, then dragging in the smaller villages/nations.

Akatsuki (once it had acquired enough resources) would offer aid to the smaller ninja villages.

Once the major ninja villages had been destroyed (according to AL's plan, i think he said that right?) it would leave Akatsuki as the sole mercenary force.

From here I assumed that Akatsuki would artificially create war between what was left of the world and hire out it's forces to both sides. (Perhaps under difference "brands", kinda how like Procter and Gamble own..like..everything).

Well there would be a barrier to entry under "normal" conditions right? As in, the well established ninja villages have brand loyalty and reputation as opposed to Akatsuki who are new on the scene and if anything have a "bad" reputation (that said the "bad rep" is probably relative to who you're looking at).

However the Naruto world doesn't have a "normal" economic system, whether there are barriers to entry or not is irrelevant when Akatsuki is willing to literally destroy the competition and make themselves the only option, economics may apply after they've gone and killed off anyone that stands in their way.

Pricing power, brand reputation etc etc, competition in general is again going to be a small problem only initially, in which case they could simply offer their services at a "black market" rate to poorer nations.

In the long run when you are literally going to wipe all other competition off the map by force and not in a business sense, there really isn't a problem.

That's if I understand their objective of "destroying the major villages" (said by the leader) correctly.

In Summary:

The way I see it, in the long run, there is going to be no other competition since they were removed (probably physically) for Akatsuki, they'll have the monopoly they seek. War will be artificially stimulated by them and the poorer nations (initially) and everyone (in the long run) will be dependent on Aktsuki or subsidiaries (or multiple Akatsuki "companies" simply under a different name) for military strength.

16. UchihaMikoto

By using the bijuu to monopolize the ability to choose when and where war will happen.... oof. That sort of manipulation is insane. It won't matter that Akatsuki is a brigand of criminals - villages will have to hire them out against each other if they have any hope of surviving. And also, it's not necessary that anyone BUT the Akatsuki members know that they have control of all of the bijuu. (So, the villages can be hiring Akatsuki without realizing that Akatsuki is also offering services to other countries.) And with the smaller villages relying on Akatsuki as the bigger villages are crushed, they'll come out of the wars more unscathed and therefore in a better position to maintain themselves than the bigger villages.

That said, I know very little about the technicalities of economics. My specialty is in literature :p

17. Gai-Sifu

So in conclusion, Orochimaru left the left the Akatsuki because he thought the Leaders plan was idiotic, and instead thought, why not just kill the kazekage and use his village aswell as sounds... Then got kinda irrational fighting his own teacher and gave up after he lost his arms. If he had followed the plan above he probably would have completed the goal before the akatsuki did.

18. Descent of the Lion

Orochimaru is small time.

19. Elfberserker

Yes they can, but they still would throw away money to potential enemies while in mean time you could use that money to hire neutral organisation or even better little bit lower than your standart ninja village.

The thing is that in Akatsuki is trying to get goverments as customer rather than inviduals and you can bet that goverment would pump money to neutral organisation rather than to other country...

Yes but in War you always will want to have more manpower and mead shields and mercenaries are perfect for this...

Besides I don?t think it?s that hard for Akatsuki show their worth in battle.

We also need to take account that it takes time and money to country to train ninja, so you want to minimize your losses and mercenaries are perfect to this because you don?t have to train them and they are immediatly avaible, not to mention that Akatsuki would be more powerful than regular forces...

Also normal business and war are completly diffrent business. In normal business you are allowed to choose, but in Real war and esoecially for small village it has to thrown anything to come out victorius from conflict..

Perhaps, but you have to remember that these are also Ninjas and I doubt country such as Mist doesn?t have problem to hire such group which has powerful pokemons...I mean those guys used have students to kill their classmate to prove their worth to become Genin...

Also would also even odds in war, because I doubt that small village like grass village can do shit against Konoha, however if you bring Akatsuki and their pokemons story is lot diffrent..

And I am sure that Some village small or big want to change see shifts in power struggle.

20. Guardsman Bass

We don't know that for sure. Remember, Ninja Villages, for the most part, aren't like normal companies; they don't just hire on skilled ninjas, so it may be difficult for skilled ninjas whose village has just disintegrated from lack of funds to find any high-paying work.

Plus, Akatsuki, if they are actually setting up a mercenary company, would probably want a good deal of medium-ish ninjas to do the equivalent of being quartermaster, guarding certain posts, being observers, and the like.

21. Splintered

It's not so much flawed as much as it is, really shallow. I mean, the major aspects are fine, but there are so much more that goes into economics. :/

22. Segan

Well, you would need money to hire shinobis, right?

Let's assume that there are smaller villages competing each others and they needed shinobi for that purpose. But those shinobis are practically only present in the major hidden villages and they are too expensive for the smaller villages. So they would have to look for other resources.

And there appear the Akatsuki and offer them their service for acceptable price. The small villages are hiring the Akatsuki and become victorious against their opponents. That will rise the reputation of the Akatsuki who are now able to gather shinobis who are willing to fight for the sake of war (or what shinobis are there for).

If this continues, then Akatsuki would have the monopoly in the smaller villages, who are much greater in terms of number than the major hidden villages (Hidden Leaf, Mist, Sand, Cloud, Grass...).
    From this point on, gaining the shinobi market monopoly wouldn't be too far to reach.

23. Therahedwig

Uhm, anyway, another thing, the Al tries to use the Bijuu for creating wars... how is he going to do that?

Why not take Oro's example and have your team of S-classed nin pull some strings that will lead into conflict between countries?
    Even if they're known in the bingobook, they can still try to disguise themselves(imagines Hidan with a paste-on mustache), and at least Itachi is very proficient with Illusions.(Next to that, Henge is not an genjutsu but a ninjutsu(Don't ask me why though), meaning it's very likely to be different from genjutsu on a technic apect, and perhaps Someone like Itachi could create an alternative version of Henge)

So what are the bijuu going to be used for?

24. QuoNina

That somehow describes what I feel. O well... a manga for kids. :p

Sometimes when the manga touches on something professional, such as this or something about DNA, it sounds kind of shallow. I guess it's not articulated enough. You can just shake these DNA and make mutants like Yamato! Excellant!
    Bijuus are power doses I guess.

I am also guessing AL can probly control the bijuu. Or else the bijuus are gonna eat themselves. :laugh

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  25. Delta Shell

The threat of a certain faction having Bijuu alone is enough to initiate war.

Iraq may or may not have had WMD's. Iran may be using it's nuclear program for naughty things and tensions have risen, N.Korea tests it's nuclear capability and people start mouthing off, for about 3 minutes.

So yeah, if you class Bijuu as WMD's then the threat of simply owning one is enough to create tensions that could lead to war, in this case Akatsuki could be the arms dealer.

Think about it, Shinobi village hires out a bijuu from Akatsuki, neighbouring village craps it and also hires out a Bijuu from Akatsuki for protection, profit for Akatsuki.

26. Boreas

Actually things are a little bit more easier...

1: Countries are ruled by Daimyos which held the financial power. The kages and small villages only have money to keep their military power, either by doing missions, and probably one part by the Daimyo and lords of the country. War obviously will profit villages.

The normal thing is that all the small countries( which I assume are more likely in the fillers and wave country) and their Daimyos need to ask help to the 8 main villages mainly the 5 with kage. So there is a favourable incoming of profits from small countries to bigger ones with military power. More conflicts between them more favoured are countries. And those conflicts exist and profit the bigger ones since mantaining their own ninjas is less profitable to them...see as example grass even with their own ninjas it was Konoha that fought with Rock when they invaded it. Obviously grass lost money and had to paid to Konoha too.

Analising each of the 9 villages:

Konoha is the most powerfull even being attacked 3 times in the last years: Kyubi , Orochimaru/Sound and Akatsuki. Small countries on the other hand have problems to pay them higher missions, just like we saw in wave arc.

Sand is facing now a reconstruction process...they had many losses during the war and now are reavaluating their way of acting. that could devaluate them in market... at least during the process of changing. Other countries are not sure of what they will become.

Mist is probably the second bigger force. Their strict politics about ninja limits (more old fashioned, brutal, relying in strength and classic jutsus) made them a beautiful task force

Rock and Cloud Little is known about them and their politics, but are more individualist and eager for power and new jutsus. Although they seem to be weaker, do not forget Yugito and grass invasion.

The other 3 villages Rain Grass and Waterfall seem to have power but not many people. Sound is aparently reduced to 3 people and probably some minor subordinates.

2: Akatsuki for the mundanes do not seem to be actually a threat for now. Remember Deidara's words: They actually thanked that we took their jinchuuriki.
    In the same way Akatsuki is only striking military targets, not civilians ( only hidden villages and the temple that actually had ninja inside). It's not the first time war and that kind of things happen.

3: Akatsuki will first take small missions with low costs.....doing that small countries who actually employ ninjas as weapons will benefit ... and actually with such a powerfull army Akatsuki can use their own greed to induce them to start a war and to conquer other countries. That way Akatsuki is gaining profits , establishing in the market and other countries will start to claim their services. The world is big enough.

4: The ninjas of that lost countries can actually become part of Akatsuki and provide both sides of the conflit ninjas as tools.

5: With that impact and with the knowledge that Akatsuki has their bijuus, either they can attack the 5 big countries...or most probably induce one of those countries to pay them to a full scale attack on other.
    Imagine what could happen to a village attacked by shukkaku niibi kyuubi Deidara Hidan Sasori and Itachi at the same time.

And remember.... the one that has interest in that is the Daimyo not the villages. If Akatsuki is more profitable than their own force........they will for greed use them, and doing that will lose their own strength.

Actually the theory is very simple...

Create a efective force with low costs and use natural greed of other countries to gain more money and power. Use that contries force to enlarge their power until the point they are capable to create a world war between big countries and they are forced to depending on them.

And I think that leader forgot the important question: those against will be blown up...

27. BattousaiMS

Actually ninja villages are like companies. You see a companie in the 1st tier world doesn't get their productivity up by labour but rather technology. Ninja villages is similar except here the technology is ninja education. A academy student comming out from Konoha will be better then one comming out from say the fictional bird village of fillers. Then as genin they get to wrok and recieve an education from jounins who know a hell alot then a bird country jounin would know, making them even better genins then the given village.

Now it is true that in the said Bird country there maybe 1 very good shinobi who can match 1 of Konoha's jounins. It's still 1 vs. 10 here since Konoha most likely has 10 of that kind.

You can look at another way. The last great shinobi war Konoha didn't win because it had a bigger number but because it had shinobis who alone by themselves could take out 50 of the opposing chuunins and jounins in one stroke. That tells you two thing, no matter how many you hire you cannot replace a knowledgable shinobi with 50 others from a lower quality village. If AL was saying taking over Kumo he has a better chance of having his mercenary guild going because Kumo has the institutions required to make these shinobis. All he can do now with his low quality mercs is use them in masses like Russia tried too in WW1 and most of WW2 that is mass charge with hopes that one of them makes it to the ennemy front and caputres the general or something. It's really not a great way to build your productivity unless you can clone shinobis at production scale and last we checked that isn't possible.

Also you have to notice that Orochimaru's isn't that effective either, mainly because your simply tricking one side they aren't really on your side. It's only good for short term battles or abusing the ressources of that country like say managing to send the whol country's shinobi in a near impposibe/suicidal mission but that is really hard to do when it's a organized military since sooner or later one of the head leaders will realize he's being manipulated and will lash back. Instead, it's much easier if the said Kazekage simply attacked him own lord with his people because then he can rally them with a cause for such coup d'etat. This is why most coup d'etat around the world happen from inside and not outside.

28. lazer85

i really dont understand why they need the bijuus to do this, this plan seems fishy to me

29. Wrath

I was going to do a big post in defence of it, but I just can't be bothered.

It's a basically sound concept, given that all we've had is a couple of pages of description. In another language.

Although the idea of applying economic theory to it is rather silly, given that this is a group of people who are going to work completely outside the system. And that's why it would work - because they're not going to be playing the same game as the villages. They'll break all the rules.

30. chakra-burned

One thing I would like to mention about a crappy unemployed labour force. First and foremost not all unemployed labourers are crappy. In fact, after the advent of industrialization and unskilled labour it was the skilled labourers who were facing mass unemployment. These unemployed craftsmen, though more skilled, could not keep up with mass production (though the quality of their production could be said to be better). Secondly, those who were employed locked employment potential through the formation of labour unions (for their own stability). Thus, skilled unemployed workers would be almost permanently locked out of industry (and this would have been the case in history had it not been for the demand of skilled labour unions).

This can be likened to the Shinobi villages where you have the employed locked into their employment positions, where no skilled labour excluded from the villages (this labour union) can enter, thus creating a surplus of unemployed skilled workers who are not affiliated with the villages. Of course, one would wonder where such skilled labour would come from if it did not originate from a Shinobi village. The answer to that is simple. There's bingo books work of Missing Nin, not all of who were kicked out due to absolutely reprehensible criminal activity. After all, not all uprisings are evil, yet all uprisers are exiled or executed. There's a sea of unemployed skilled labour generated from disagreeable politics from within the villages. That is not to say these individuals can't earn any money. By themselves they can be employed, but they can not become an effective, coherent, and crucial factor in Narutoland's world economy. They will not be missed if they are taken out one by one. They're convenient options but are not absolutely needed. That's what Akatsuki's plans are. Essentially what we are sseeing is the Akatsuki Leader taking alll the unemployed and making another union out of them, a union that becomes fundamental to the functionality of Narutoland's economic (and therefore political) stability. His will be a union more flexible as they are not tied to any political body or state.