1. img
    We invite you to participate in the NF Christmas Event!
    Deadline to sign yourself up is December 8 at 6 PM UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Event 5th Democratic Primary Debate Watch-Along (Nov. 20th @ 9-11 PM ET)

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Island, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Island Moderator

Flag:
    United States

We're trying something new this November with a dedicated thread for watching and giving live commentary for the upcoming Democratic presidential primary debate on November 20th.

The debate is next Wednesday, but I figured I'd get the thread up early to attract attention.

When the debate starts, you can either post commentary here or join us in Discord. You can PM me a link to the Unofficial Café Discord if you don't already have it, but note that since it's my Discord and not officially part of the forum, I reserve the right to reject anyone for any reason.

In the meantime, you can use the for posting and discussing news about the primaries and the upcoming presidential election in general.

And as per the title, the 4th Democratic primary debate will air on November 20th @ 9-11 PM ET and can be watched on MSNBC or streamed from their website.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Tags:
  2. Mider T

Flag:
    United States

I put CC on and keep my eyes on the bottom of the screen, can I read along?

3. Island Moderator

Flag:
    United States

You can, but you're on thin ice. :blobglare

4. GRIMMM

Have you created a separate channel on the café discord for discussion?

5. Island Moderator

Flag:
    United States

I was planning on being in voice chat for the debate and having a text channel would be a little redundant since this thread already exists.

Though, there are some people who are in the Discord but no longer post here, so I could do a text channel, I guess.

6. Alwaysmind

Flag:
    Switzerland, Canada, China

Canada's new cabinet gets sworn in the same day. lol

7. Raiden Moderator

Will be interesting to see if people will come after Pete now that he in the lead in Iowa. I dont think he even had much of a staff there a few months aho..crazy stuff.

8. SakuraLover16

Probably it’s like crabs pulling each other back in the pot for trying to escape.

9. Island Moderator

Flag:
    United States

Updated the OP to include the time of the debate and where to watch it.

And for those of you who don't feel like scrolling back up, the debate will be November 20th @ 9-11 PM ET and can be watched on MSNBC or streamed from their website.

10. KisaitaParadise

Flag:
    United States

I hope Buttigieg gets taken down a peg....or ten....

12. Troyse22

Literally no difference in policy between all of the candidates, and the ones that are more moderate are quickly shunned and labeled as racists and/or bigots.

Democrats aren't going to win while running on their current platform, period.

I'm going to be watching though

13. Gunstarvillain

I've seen the same idea composed and banned in the same day on another forum. So in retrospect us being more in control of ourselves...:pachaok
    Proud papa moment

Cant wait.

14. Troyse22

I don't think this is going to be good for the NF in general.

Although thankfully this seems to have very little traction (probably because the current Democrat platform is pure lunacy and not many people here are going to be that invested). I just worry about the ill feelings that will be created amongst members here who start really diving into specific policies (immigration, Medicare, Obamacare, trans women in womens sports, free speech etc)

Not that I think this shouldn't be allowed, just... I think this is going to breed needless hostility in an otherwise politically mute forum.

TLDR; This forum isn't the place for political discussion

15. Gunstarvillain

I completely agree although the very thought of us being cognitive and functional with dialogue and not trashfire this can make us grow in little ways.
    There is always gona be a bit of spice in the soup. Nothing new.

16. Troyse22

Oh anyone who has watched me post over the years knows I (used to) love putting myself in "spicy" situations/discussions, but they were always relevant to NF/Naruto, at least they were initially. This is different though, these discussions are going to be who we are fundamentally as people, what our values are, what our morals are, and when someone questions them or calls you immoral, you're going to get defensive and retaliate harshly, far more harshly than just disagreeing about characters in an anime. I'm not interested in knowing the political views of people here as i've lost friends over political differences, and I don't want to be at odds with someone here over something not even relevant to why we're all here to begin with, over our mutual love of Naruto.

17. GRIMMM

Taking bets on this thread becoming a flaming dumpster.

18. Island Moderator

Flag:
    United States

It's worked okay for 15 years.

19. Pliskin

20. reiatsuflow

I came here for bleach because narutoforums was quicker on the draw posting scanlations and subs for the manga and anime than the bleach forums were.

:gglife

21. Pliskin

I came here for the manga pimping section.

Yes kids, before your time us adults had to share Chinese cartoons by exchanging download links on obscure German scam forums.

22. Orochimaruwantsyourbody

Kisame solos

23. SakuraLover16

So who are your must watch candidates in your opinion?

24. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    Buttigieg to see if he has a glass jaw and if anyone bothers to hit him on his gentrification in south bend or the racist police department he presides over among other problems he has.

Gabbard to see if she goes after Warren or Pete who both have surged largely due to favorable media coverage in succession.

Warren to see what messaging and maneuvering she does now that she has taken the media's and opponents' bait on previous issues.

Bernie to see if he finally starts calling the Buttigieg/Klobuchar/Biden trio out for carrying the water of a parasitic health care industry and trying to sabotage his signature health care plan.

Those are the main four. Everyone else I'm not interested in because they are going nowhere or because they've outed themselves as a disingenuous weasel despite raising interesting questions when this primary first started.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  25. retrouvailles

Definitely going to attempt to watch this.

26. SakuraLover16

I kinda hope he has one too. Last debate he threw many punches along with many others but I really want to see if he can take the heat being a front runner in one state.
    Lately I have seen a lot of hit pieces out on Warren. Has she gotten any positive press lately? Pete I do know has surged but he basically has no support in a key demographic.

I agree but now she’ll be better prepared for any new attacks that come her way she seems to have worked with some Obama era officials which is where she got the numbers for her plan. Her plan to implement it is also interesting I must say.
    Oh he definently will if he doesn’t do anything else.

27. Konami Yatsa

I came here because of a troll who transcended forums, stayed because my original home was no more
    :gglife
    I'm a refugee you see!

28. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    Warren got favorable press coverage over the summer and still gets some by those who think "it is time for a woman" or those who want to hold her up as being the same as Bernie so they can cast him aside. Her usefulness for the latter goal is reaching it's end which is why you are seeing her get hit far more often now by the corporate media and people who work for the health care industry like Rahm Emanuel.

29. SakuraLover16

Yeah it seems like now that has come to an end I personally don’t think she is a Bernie replacement they have differences. I still think her and Bernie are solid contenders. Do you think they mesh well together?

30. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    If you mean whether I think they should run on a ticket together in any combination I don't think they should. The presidency is important but so is the math in the senate and that is two senate seats you are potentially making vulnerable for GOP acquisition. I also think in Bernie's case he can get the constituency that Warren represents and/or more people of color by choosing someone else where as in Warren's case she needs to gain more minority support so picking someone else that can fill in that hole is better for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.