• cc
    Come enter in this week's GotW and PotW!
    Deadline for both contests is February 28 at 9 pm UTC.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

    Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

A Grand Tour of the Sword Coast

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"Hey is someone there?" Falwin hears a voice coming from the garrish stone in his hand with a big A emblazoned on it.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"Ah good Falwin, we were wondering when we'd hear from you. This is Omin Dran. Have you made it to Red Larche yet? If so, stop by Dran & Courtier on the west side of town and introduce yourself to the "C" Team. Have you found any promising recruits yet?"
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
"Oh! Am I calling HQ? Because I didn't specify the receiver."

Talking to the CEO wasn't what he was expecting now. Much less the CEO knowing his name. He wasn't sure if this was a good thing.

"I have found one, though I'm not sure how promising he is. Well, he is big and likes money. "

While he talks, he walks to the place Omin told him about.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
So as he walks over to the west side of town he sees a building that that might pass for an Inn if the windows weren't boarded up. The place looks abandoned, but its big enough and sturdy enough that people could live there. There is a sign on the front that says, "Dran & Courtier" but its been scratched out with orange paint and new logo that says "Big Daddy Donaar's Yum Yum Hut". That has also been cratched out in white paint and it now says "Dran & Courtier" again.

"They aren't all winners, sometimes you just need a regular guy to walk ahead and check for traps."
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
He didn't disagree with the notion. Falwin was not a big fan of traps. Or walking ahead.

Well, thanks. By the way, you said I gotta eliminate Vanifer but can I try to hire everyone who works for her? Could make this recruiting thing faster.

He then knocked the door.
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
After learning of the other wagon maker, Lola makes her way across town to where Therlon is. Once she finds his place, she taps at the door with the butt of her wand against the door. If she finds that this doesn't work, she just goes ahead and knocks.

"Sir Thelorn?" she asks when he answers the door. Lola gives a truncated curtsey. "My name is Lola Bellevue, I had a quick question for you about a merchant looking for a Druid in the mountains?"
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
He didn't disagree with the notion. Falwin was not a big fan of traps. Or walking ahead.

Well, thanks. By the way, you said I gotta eliminate Vanifer but can I try to hire everyone who works for her? Could make this recruiting thing faster.

He then knocked the door.

"Its open!"

The inside of the tavern looks a lot warmer than outside would suggest. There is a good fire roaring in the fireplace, but it doesn't feel as warm in here as it would with a fire that big, and Falwin didn't see any smoke from the Chimney outside.

The tables is knocked over on its side. Behind the bar there is a Bonze Dragonborn wearing steel plate armor. He also wears a huge chef's hat with a chef's apron over his armor. The bar also has merchandise, dolls of the same Dragonborn in the same outfit.

To his left there is a smiling dark elf with a blindfold over his eyes. He has a full beard that hugs his face and chin, and there is a dark tenticle with eyes coming out of his back.

In the Wood Elf with short dark hair and Red armor peaks her head from around a corner. Her armor appears to be made out of wood and she has a bright green sword that looks like a leaf.

Also there is a thin grandmother's halfling woman who has very loose fitting robes. She looks short for a halfling if you had to guess she couldn't weigh more than 30 pounds.

After learning of the other wagon maker, Lola makes her way across town to where Therlon is. Once she finds his place, she taps at the door with the butt of her wand against the door. If she finds that this doesn't work, she just goes ahead and knocks.

"Sir Thelorn?" she asks when he answers the door. Lola gives a truncated curtsey. "My name is Lola Bellevue, I had a quick question for you about a merchant looking for a Druid in the mountains?"

Old Thelorn looks up from his hammering where he seems to hammering spokes into a wheel. "That's a curious question, why are you looking for him?"
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
"So... are you guys the C Team? Interesting name, huh." - he commented, having a good idea of what the name implies.

"What are you doing in town? Gonna invade the cult's hideout too?"
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member


"Cult? What cult? We're between adventures and working on rebranding," Says the wood-elf.

"I'm telling you guys, the yum yum hut was a good plan," compltained the dragonborn.

"Maybe next time don't come with with an all pumpkin spice menu big guy, opening was a disaster." says the Drow in the corner, while he speaks the drow maintains a smiling grin without moving his mouth and the weird tenticle on his shoulder with rubys for eyes seems to speak for him.

"At least the kids liked it..."

"You must be Falwin, a copy of your personnel file was sent over from the head office. I'm Walnut Dankgrass, Documancer."

"I'm Rosie Beestinger, the Cartographer," Rosie pulls up the sleeve of her robe as she is introduces herself. "Feel free to visit me after work sometime," she says winking at Falwin.

"I'm Donaar Blitzen, The Decisionist, and the chef," Donaar holds up his magic coin that he uses for his job. Essentially anytime there is a dispute in the party the dececisionist has the opportunity to call on a meeting to decide what the party does, and Donaar's vote counts as two votes for the purposes of making decisions. It effectively means during any such vote Donaar gets his way unless the other three team members are against him.

"And I'm K'thriss Drow'b, the hordesperson."

Falwin would notice that this team does not appear to have a Secretarian.

Walnut pulls out an impossibly thick folder from a satchel on her on her right with Falwin's name on it. She pulls out a 2nd thicker file right after with another name on it, She opens it up and the image has a full body image of. Blond Elf, accompanied on the right referred to as a "Character sheet" that information seems a shorthand overview of of his abilities. He's apparently a High Elf (Sun Elf) Barbarian named "Dunbar of Spreck".

Walnut takes out a form and says, "
Dunbar's quarterly perfomance review is next week, but he's out in the field. Once you've filled out the form properly, bring it back and we'll submit add it to Dunbar's file and send it back to the main office. Now that you know his name and what he looks like, just picture him in your head while you use the sending stone and you'll be able directly contact him to perform the interview."

 
Last edited:

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
"Maybe next time don't come with with an all pumpkin spice menu big guy, opening was a disaster." says the Drow in the corner, while he speaks the drow maintains a smiling grin without moving his mouth and the weird tenticle on his shoulder with rubys for eyes seems to speak for him.

"At least the kids liked it..."

"Yum Yum Hut, huh? Sounds like a fine business proposal" - he lied - "Maybe you should have tried to advertize the benefits of eating pumpkin spice better? Like, it lets people breathe fire" - he was being a little ironic, but if he was in their shoes he might try that just to see what would happen. Falwin might not make a good manager, now that he thought about it.

"Though maybe providing a spice-less option would be a good idea, too."

"I'm Rosie Beestinger, the Cartographer," Rosie pulls up the sleeve of her robe as she is introduces herself. "Feel free to visit me after work sometime," she says winking at Falwin.

"I'm sure a fine lady like you must have a busy social life". - and he makes a small bow, hiding the disconfort of a lady who could be his grandma trying to flirt with him.

Walnut takes out a form and says, "Dunbar's quarterly perfomance review is next week, but he's out in the field. Once you've filled out the form properly, bring it back and we'll submit add it to Dunbar's file and send it back to the main office. Now that you know his name and what he looks like, just picture him in your head while you use the sending stone and you'll be able directly contact him to perform the interview."

"Uh, what? Who is Dunbar? What form? I didn't come here looking for some Dunbar, I'm afraid."
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"I'm sure a fine lady like you must have a busy social life". - and he makes a small bow, hiding the disconfort of a lady who could be his grandma trying to flirt with him.

"Oh you have no idea," she says pulling up the sleeve of her robe. Her arms are "jacked" She easily has as more muscle and muscle definition than Falwin does. Her robes are otherwise concealing the fact that she has the body of an athlete with a century of training, "Not bad for one hundred of twenty right?"

"Uh, what? Who is Dunbar? What form? I didn't come here looking for some Dunbar, I'm afraid."

"Dunbar is a Secretarian for a Acq. Inc. group down south, the "P" Team. Their last TPS report indicated that they were traveling with a Caravan to Greenest and their documancer hasn't submitted any new TPS reports in several days. Performance reviews are normally by other teams and submitted to Head Quarters for review, since their documancer isn't responding I thought I'd have contact their Secretarin while your here so we can complete their report. It would be a huge favor. We could work out something in exchange if you like?"
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Actually, there is something. I was tasked with raiding this dungeon where a cult is hiding and taking their leader down. I already have a party, but one of our members just died (turns out he was a mind devourer, scary stuff!) and now we are one member short. Some help would be nice, particularly if it's someone who can take hits.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"Since he's helping Walnut do her job, I vote that she goes."

"Second."

"I use my coin to vote again, Walnut goes."

"Damnit! Alright I'll be there. What time do you need me?"
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen meanwhile gets to work trying to fashion a...letter of cult introduction. He fashions it or tries to fashion it to give them an introduction by another cult leader part of the cult they're from, based in Waterdeep. He copies the seal found on the letter they swiped from the bandits, bound for Waterdeep nobility, and adds in the cult seal of the Howling Wind too to make it official.

(Can I take 10 on a Forgery check with Callen's +5 proficiency to make a fake letter of introduction from a noble house harboring a fake branch of the cult we're trying to confront tonight for Zyn?)
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Falwin was hoping the dragonborn would come. He looks strong. And not very bright. Both good qualities for canon fodder. But that coin would be hard to beat.

He tells the elf the time he arranged with the party and the location of their inn so she can meet them there.

And then he lends her his sending stone, so she can perform her task.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Callen meanwhile gets to work trying to fashion a...letter of cult introduction. He fashions it or tries to fashion it to give them an introduction by another cult leader part of the cult they're from, based in Waterdeep. He copies the seal found on the letter they swiped from the bandits, bound for Waterdeep nobility, and adds in the cult seal of the Howling Wind too to make it official.

(Can I take 10 on a Forgery check with Callen's +5 proficiency to make a fake letter of introduction from a noble house harboring a fake branch of the cult we're trying to confront tonight for Zyn?)

Callen makes a fairly good approximation of what a letter of introduction to a cult might look like. (Yeah take 10)

Falwin was hoping the dragonborn would come. He looks strong. And not very bright. Both good qualities for canon fodder. But that coin would be hard to beat.

He tells the elf the time he arranged with the party and the location of their inn so she can meet them there.

And then he lends her his sending stone, so she can perform her task.

The story Falwin overheard from the interview is a fairly harrowing story. Apparently when the Caravan was approaching Greennest the town was attacked by a Blue Dragon backed up by an army of dragon worshiping cultist. The seige had ended and they've been asked by the local lord to try to infiltrate the Dragon Cultist's camp to figure out what they are going to do next.

Greennest is pretty far south from where Red Larche is. The quickest way there on foot would take months.

Walnut continues to conduct the performance interview asking such riviting questions as where they see themselves in year, writes up the report, adds it to Dunbar's file and puts it into her documancy Satchel that, and the folder dissappears having been deleivered to the Head office as she gives the Sending Stone back to Falwin.

"So tonight then? Got it."
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Old Thelorn looks up from his hammering where he seems to hammering spokes into a wheel. "That's a curious question, why are you looking for him?"

"Simply put, that druid is my...wayward lover," Lola begins before taking a deep breath and trying to look exasperated and angry. "Back at the little inn here in town I've got a nurse maid that comes non too cheap looking after his spawn and he has the audacity to leave me and his child without any recompense or reason for his disappearance. He's probably off tipping velvet with some slag, but I think I've finally caught up with him."

All of this came out of Lola as a surprisingly easily improvised string of consciousness, perhaps she looked a tad young, but most men would be scared to ask a woman her age, especially one who was jilted by a cheating lover. Part of her wandered if there was something the wrong in her head, why was she so taken with strange lies?

Deception:
1d20 (11) + 6 = 17
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
In the voice of Sam Eliot, "That cur! I'm sorry dear. From what I understand those Druids are up to some wild ritual, they're erecting giant wooden statues in the shape of people, as tall a watch tower, just to burn them. Half of his shipment heading up with hard liquor and oil to set the effigies on fire. They seem to be throwing a big party up there. Don't go alone up here, a place like that isn't safe.

"Take the Larch Path out of town, you'll pass an Abandoned Quarry on the left side of the path, a short ways past, between two hills, is an old trail threw the hills leading up to the old Haunted Keep where the Druids have set up."
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
While the others are meeting with contacts Zyn doesn't know about and probably shouldn't involve himself in Zyn will focus on the practical needs for that night's plan. He'll see if there is someone in town that he can purchase studded leather armor from, blackened if possible. Assuming he can he'll sell/trade his existing leather on the deal (40gp = 45gp-5gp?).

He'll also see if he can't find black cloaks that roughly match the ones the cultists have for the party. While he'd prefer a stealth approach, the size of their group made the chances they'd be discovered go up. Buying surprise would be worth it if they could manage it. ((Cost here?))

He reflected on the encounters he had been in the last few days. While his bow was a solid weapon he wasn't able to bring it to bear quickly. He would buy a whip (2gp) and trio of daggers (3x 2gp) to give him a few more options here sighing that the latter weren't great options for the rapid non-lethal neutralization that he would prefer here, though didn't think it likely he'd find a proper drow hand-crossbow and poisoned bolts.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
The best bet for most of Zyn's shopping list is Ironhead Arms, which is run by an a retired Half-Orc caravan driver. He comments on the unique drow style that Zyn's original leather armor came and and noted that if no one else bought it i'd make a fine show piece and as such he offers an extra gold piece for Zyn's old armor. The Studded Leather he has to upgrade it with is decided more mundane in that the leather was tanned from cow leather instead.

The whip and daggers he sells come in varriety of styles. Since he doesn't actually make weapons himself, there isn't much of a consistent theme as far as appearances go. There are few daggers dwarven and elven make, as well as as a few made in human settlements. The ones form Waterdeep all have the same guild stamp on them, but some appear to have been made in Triboar. The simplest looking ones where apparently made here in town by local blacksmith and are being sold her second hand. There isn't anything practically wrong with them, they're just unembelished.

Since the store also carries general kit useful for Caravan guards finding a cloak similar to what he'd looking for is fairly easy as well for a silver piece.
 
Last edited:

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Zyn cares little for embellishment in his gear, as long as it is of solid quality. As he knows little of the politics of the various groups on the surface (and what he knows of Dwarves and surface Elves probably isn't flattering) he'll take a trio of the plain-looking local daggers, preferring ones that have the same appearance anyway.
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
In the voice of Sam Eliot, "That cur! I'm sorry dear. From what I understand those Druids are up to some wild ritual, they're erecting giant wooden statues in the shape of people, as tall a watch tower, just to burn them. Half of his shipment heading up with hard liquor and oil to set the effigies on fire. They seem to be throwing a big party up there. Don't go alone up here, a place like that isn't safe.

"Take the Larch Path out of town, you'll pass an Abandoned Quarry on the left side of the path, a short ways past, between two hills, is an old trail threw the hills leading up to the old Haunted Keep where the Druids have set up."

"Thank you, sir. You're a treasure and a gentleman," Lola says before reaching into her cloak and pulling out two gold. She hands it to the man.

Realizing what he is doing she pauses. "Good luck with your wagon wheel, I really must be going."

Lola bids him farewell and makes her way back toward the dressmaker's to pick up her order.
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
"So... uh... good luck with your business endeavor. May we all have... good quarterly returns".

Falwin leaves the building, and returns to the tavern to get ready for another (hopefully less deadly) encounter.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"Thank you, sir. You're a treasure and a gentleman," Lola says before reaching into her cloak and pulling out two gold. She hands it to the man.

Realizing what he is doing she pauses. "Good luck with your wagon wheel, I really must be going."

Lola bids him farewell and makes her way back toward the dressmaker's to pick up her order.
The Man hands the money back to Lola with a tear in his eye, "Keep it for the kid."


"So... uh... good luck with your business endeavor. May we all have... good quarterly returns".

Falwin leaves the building, and returns to the tavern to get ready for another (hopefully less deadly) encounter.

"I'll meet with the rest of you tonight."
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
The Man hands the money back to Lola with a tear in his eye, "Keep it for the kid."
In a bid not to draw too much more attention to herself than she has to, Lola takes the money back. As she is leaving the shop Lola raises her wand, but to cast mage hand, but thinks the better of it.

Instead, she speaks directly into Therlon's mind in a whisper. "Behind you..."

Lola rushes from the store, leaving five gold on the countertop as she goes. Once outside she pulls the hood up over her head and makes her way to the dress shop.

Sleight of Hand:
1d20 (10) + 2 = 12
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"What the hell was that?" He turns around and looks at where Lola running away with 5 gold left the counter as she runs away back into town and scoops up the gold.

Lola is able to pick up her dresses form the shop. They are well made with a few embellishments. The shop owner tells her while she's picking it up, "I mainly make dresses for special occasions like weddings, this was a nice change of pace."
 
Last edited:

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
The day passes into evening. Garallel and Walnut arrive, as it grows late the workers leave for their homes, and shortly there after one cloaked individual after another begins to show up at the work yard connected to the work yard. Do any of you attempt to approach the people in the yard as the arrive, or do you wait and come in after them?
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Zyn will suggest approaching the small group, allowing one of the more charismatic members of the party to take the lead.
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
The tiefling nods before he dons the hood of the cloak Zyn's purchased, moving forward to find one of the cult members to approach. On the way he casts Thaumaturgy on himself in order to have his eyes glow beneath his hood.

"Greetings," he says as he arrives at the work yard, fishing the sealed letter marked with the crest of the Howling Wind Cult from his sleeve. He offers it out to the nearest cultist. "We have traveled far to join you, brothers. We come from a sect far from here, having heard word of your activities here..."

#Deception: 1d20 (18) + 5 Total: 23

"The time approaches, no?"
 
Top Bottom