• cc
    Come enter in this week's GotW and PotW!
    Deadline for both contests is February 28 at 9 pm UTC.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

    Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

A Grand Tour of the Sword Coast

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Falwin decides to add to the deception.

Yes, Larrakh! He talked to us about this faith, and we were so inspired by it! I cannot wait to see those effigies burning!


Deception: 12 + 5 = 17
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"Let's discuss this inside," if the six of you allow, they bring you threw the entryway of the cave and into that first chamber. There are two cloaks on hooks on the wall as you walk in. The same waterskin there as well in the same place you saw it previously.
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen shoots Falwin a quick glance as the light in his eyes dies, then follows the cloaked figures inside. "Larrakh is curious about your progress and activities. It would not be an understatement that Red Larch is seen as a...unique locale, as far as choices of location go."
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
One of them, a woman, says, "I recognize them, they are newcomers that came into town recently. They fought off some bandits. One of them as killed. They fought some Necromancer, and another one didn't come back yesterday."

Once everyone is inside the three of them remove their hoods but keep their cloaks on. None of them are people you've had direct dealings with but you've seen them around town. A different one aside from the previous one asks you, "Are you the bringers of woe?"

{This will require an appropriate skill check from whoever answers}
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Lola answers, removing her hood. "Bringers of woe for those who would expose us. Oreioth was weak of mind, resolve, and blood--like most of the nobility of Baldur's Gate. His family crossed mine, so I took my payment in blood--and I've got new real estate atop Lance Rock to show for it."

"Now, did we come here for something worth discussing or did we travel all this way to be interrogated about the death of a low born, hedge mage?"


Deception:
1d20 (6) + 6 = 12
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
"Enough idle queries," Callen snaps. "My own shall not fall on deaf ears. Larrakh is concerned with your progress here. Have you gathered any new members as of late? Acquired any means to further our purpose?"
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
The three of them nod to one another and begin to lead you down a long stone hallway about 50 feet down there are two massive stone doors with carved releifs of Dwarfs on them inside of them. Lola is able to recognize this site as being connected with the Ancient Dwarven Kingdom that used to reside here. She also knows that this is not one of the entrances to the Dwarven city she seeks because entrances to their homes were built in the Somber Hills themselves. It might have a smaller settlement.

They come to a Hallway with raised portcullus every 10 feet or so. One of them stops 60 feet from the door. They cross their arms over their chest and call out in a loud voice, "A Believer Approaches." They lead you another 60 feet down the hallway to the door with a slit and open it allowing everyone to enter the chamber.

Already in the chamber near the door is a hunched back half-orc with a disfigured face, perhaps he was kicked in the face by an Ox or something as a child. In the center of the room, burried under a pile of rocks with just his face exposed a small boy, about 7 or 8. He's pin under Bolders that hold him firmly in place and don't allow him to move, but aren't crushing him. His face is chalked with dust and his lips ar cracked. He cries out as you enter, although his his parched voice it comes out as a whisper, "Water."

The other 3 people in the room don't seem to be bothered by the child and are behaving as if this where normal. What do you do?
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
I forgot to mention that your reached a cross shapped intersection back at the doors. You guys went straight instead of turning.
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen's eyes narrow beneath his cloak but he doesn't act just yet. Instead he squints to ascertain the purpose or essence of this practice before he acts.

#Arcana: 1d20 (13) + 4 Total: 17
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Falwin was shocked at what he was seeing. At the back of his mind, he had expected the cult to be evil, but seeing it in front of him was completely different. He felt nauseous.

He had an impluse to do something. But nothing came to his mind. Even though he was a skilled combatant and spellcaster. But grim reality he was surrounded by enemies and they were possibly torturing a child made him panic inside rather than act on it. He was already stressed for what he had seem in the necromancer's lair, so now he was closer to breaking.
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Lola casts detect thoughts on herself and focuses on the boy's surface level thoughts, trying to look for feelings of fear or excitement or joy or anything that would be brimming up depending upon the arrangement of this situation.

Because of her telepathic feat this doesn't require the components or or spell slot.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"Help me!" the boy wispers, his surface thoughts are fear and and desperation as the boy begins to drift into unconsciousness

The woman in the group says, "He's being punished for failing to deliver a message to me." She turns to talk to one of the men she entered with, "I believe it's been what? Two days, if he's strong he'll make it to three, and he'll have learned his lesson."
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
"And if he dies you'll have to risk bringing in a fresh messenger," Lola says.

"A dribble of mercy can instill a lifetime of loyalty," she says as she moves toward the boy.

She kneels beside him and touches his face with a red gloved hand. "You've learned your lesson, right?
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Zyn kept his face blank, beneath the hood of his cloak, as they entered the room. As far as torture went, this barely registered on the scale he was used to. Menzoberranzan was not a kind city and it brokered no illusions for any that were born within it. He pushed thoughts of deeds he had seen, those that he had enured, and that he had performed out of his conscious thoughts. Dwelling on the past would do nothing for the mission before him.

Silently he approaches the child and with a firm but gentle hand brushes Lola away from him, and away from the half-orc tormentor. The warrior kneels and runs an ebony hand over the face of the child, as if inspecting him. Beneath the cloak his other hand slides one of the daggers into grip as subtly as the dexterous hands can manage, then with a twist he spins and slams the weapon at the half-orc.

#Zyn Initiative: 1d20 (3) + 3 Total: 6
#Sleight-of-hand (Dex): 1d20 (1) + 3 Total: 4
#attack: 1d20 (11) + 5 Total: 16
#Attack (if advantage): 1d20 (10) + 5 Total: 15
#Damage: 1d4 (2) + 3 Total: 5
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
After Zyn makes his move, Callen silently bursts forward to back the Drow. Drawing his shortsword from beneath his cloak he stabs at the half-orc from behind, gripping the hilt with one hand and driving it in from the back with the other.

#Initiative: 1d20 (13) + 3 Total: 16
#sneak attack: 1d20 (13) + 5 Total: 18
#damage: 2d6 (5, 3) + 3 Total: 11
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Lola sighs, spins around to move between Zyn and Callen, and aims her wand toward the tightest grouping of enemies and away from the kid. She tuts her fingers and mutters the incantation loosing an Ice Knife spell.

To Hit: 1d20 (5) + 6 = 11
Damage: 1d10 (8) [magical piercing] = 8
Damage: 2d6 (5, 1) [cold] = 6
DC: 14
DEX Save

Spoiler: ice knife
You create a shard of ice and fling it at one creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 piercing damage. Hit or miss, the shard then explodes. The target and each creature within 5 feet of it must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 cold damage.

 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
This time around we're trying out combat without initiative rolls, all actions are considered to be happening at once. Since the Believers aren't expecting a fight they do nothing.
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Falwin snaps out of it after seeing his friends act. He feels ashamed of himself for freaking out.

He stares at one of the guys who just got targeted by Lola's ice spell.

"Hey you. The one with the cloak! What do you think is going to happen when we leave this place and go tell everyone at Red Larch that you torture children? Your boss, your girlfriend, even your mother?"

Vicious Mockery: 1d4 = 1
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Caught by surprise party makes short work of the cultists.

The Half-orc is stabbed by two Daggers in quick successtion. Walnut transforms into a Dire wolf, jumps up and bites him, but doesn't quite manage to take him down to the ground. (He takes 27 damage) He's still alive but hurt badly.

The woman cultist takes the ice knife from Lola in the stomach, which then explodes and showers herself and the the two other nearby cultists wit a shower of ice shards which they both manage to barely survive. One survivor being the target of Falwin's vicious mockery grabs his head for a moment and falls over dead with blood dripping from his nose, the other one takes the full brunt of Garallel's Sacred flame.

Next round: The half-orc holds up his hands and says, "Please don't kill me! I just do what they ask."
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"Baragustus is inside. There are tweleve beleivers, including the three you just killed, but Baragustus is the only other one here right now! I didn't kill anybody, they take care of me in exchange for looking after the place!"
 

WorkingMoogle

Well-Known Member
Zyn will leave the half-orc to the others for now, though keeping an ear on what he is saying. He instead takes out a waterskin and carefully gives the boy a few sips. Making sure that he doesn't choke from drinking too fast. Once that is done he will begin moving rubble to free the child as expediently as possible. If the child is coherent enough the drow motions for him to be quiet.

Once that's done, if the half-orc is still alive, he'll pose a question, "is there a woman among them? Black hair and blue eyes with a round oval face and pointed nose? Perhaps using the name 'Savra Belabranta?'"
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Once the party is done questioning him, Falwin has an idea.

"Baragustus, right? If you help us storm this place, once we are out I may have an opportunity for you. It's a lot of work, but you could make some good money, and as far as I know, it doesn't involve hurting children. Isn't that right, Walnut?"

Persuasion on the half-orc: 1d20 (13) + 5 = 18
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Answering Zyn's question, he says, "I haven't seen her, unless she's one of the bringers of woe. They cover their faces and walk around in dark cloaks that hide their appearance. They showed up the same time Larrakh did."

(I'll get to Falwins post in a minute. Falwin has successfully moved the half-orc from hostile (expressed as fear) to indifferent towards Falwin but still doesn't trust him enough yet to sign on to Acq Inc. A second check later on might be necessary to move him over. Im also missingthe half orc's name.)
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
To Falwin the Halford says, "My name is Grund, I just do what the believers tell me, I promise to stay out of your way."

Falwin gets the impression that Grund doesn't know very much beyond this cave and might require more convincing. It might be easier for Grund to process what Falwin is offering after things have calmed down.
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen ignores the half-orc to start and concentrates on getting the child free with Zyn instead. Kneeling down, he continues to speak to him as the others question Grund. "Hey, kid, stay with me here. We're gonna get you out of here. Can you feel anything? You know where you are?"
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
"This is the Antechamber, everything is stiff." the boy looks worried as he starts to regain his senses somewhat, "Oh no, dad's going to be angry because my punishment ended early!"
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
"Dad?" Callen repeats, panic and worry creeping up on his features. "Who is your father...? One of the men that wear these cloaks?"
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
"I certainly hope he wasn't in this general direction then," Lola says gesturing with her wand toward the area where her Ice Knife landed.

"Or maybe I do," she adds under her breath.

"Umm, Zyn, Love? Maybe we all need to come up with a sign or tell of some kind, because my heart nearly leaped from my bosom," she says. She moves around, still muttering. "I guess being nearly killed and then turned into some kind of bloody yuan-ti woman and tortured kids are just my life now!"

"Does anyone want to help me secure Grund between two of those portcullises?"
Lola asks.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom