• Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

    Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

A Grand Tour of the Sword Coast

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Rowan's devine sense does not detect any Celestials, Fiends, or Undead within 60 feet of him.

Lola, Zyn, and Callen, who decided to sneak up come up to the bandit encampment without being noticed.

In a brush-choked dell a short distance form Cairn road is a makeshift camp at the entrance of a cave. Four surly humans appear to be sharpening their blades around a campfire. Nearby is a Wagon with a cage on top. Inside the Cage is a black bear that is pawing at the Bars of the cage.

Zyn, with your perception check you notice that the lock to the cage appears to be broken and that the Bandits have haphazzardly closed the cage door by hammering in an Iron Piton in the cage in a small gap between the bars. If something where to hit the piton or lightly pull on it from your side, or if something inside the cage pushed hard enough against the gate on the cage would fly open.

Callen, with your Passive Investigation, you notice that there are no signs of the bandits having any horses. That bear doesn't look tame, so they probably pulled the wagon here by hand.
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Zyn glances at his companions to make sure they look ready then draws his rapier with a meaningful look in his eyes. Once everyone seems in position he'll dart forward to attack. If possible he'll hit the bandits so that they'll have to go by him if they try to go to the cage, but still allowing a straight shot for the bear to get revenge if it decides to break out on it's own.

Initiative: Result: 1d20 (10) + 3 Total: 13

Attack: Result: 1d20 (18) + 5 Total: 23

Damage: Result: 1d8 (7) + 3 Total: 10
 

Dragon D. Luffy

Retired Staff
Retired Staff
"A... bear."

Rowan flinched for a second. Not something he was expecting to face. Thankfully, there was a cage, but you are never too safe around a bear.

"Did they raid a menagerie, or something?" - he thought. But there was not much time to ponder. - "We need to beat the bandits fast. And... I cannot allow that beast to get close to them." - he glanced at his allies.

Rowan was too far from the bandits to attack them by surprise. So he looked to the nearest one and prepared to dash to him, shouting and brandishing his sword and shield. That would make for a good distraction, at least.

Initiative: 1d20 (12) - 1 = 11
 
Lola Initiative:
1d20 (11) + 2 = 13

Lola makes a small circular motion with her wand over the palm before bringing the arcane focus up and aiming it at the fire in the center of the camp. She speaks in a voice that's almost a whisper, but it somehow seems to echo through the small forest.

Lola casts sleep centered on the fire in the middle of the camp.
5d8 (2, 2, 3, 1, 1) = 9
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen knocks an arrow and draws a bead on the bandit Rowan begins distracting, pinching an eye shut before loosing his arrow at the brigand's blindspot.

#initiative: 1d20 (4) + 3 Total: 7
#attack: 1d20 (9) + 5 Total: 14
Damage Result: 2d6 (1, 4) + 3 Total: 8
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Bandit 1: 21
Bandit 3: 21
Bandit 4: 19
Bear: 16
Zyn: 13
Lola: 13
Rowan: 11
Bandit 2: 9
Callen: 7

Round 1:

The Bandits are too surprised to act right away. They are fanned out in the camp and sitting down. (Bandit 1 is furthest from the wagon and bandit 4 is closest to it).

The Bear on the other hand is not and uses the outbreak cause by the sudden commotion to slam it's body against the cage door to try and open it to no avail.

Zyn closes the distance strikes the Bandit 4 in the shoulder with his Rapier, the wound he inflicts is not fatal but is deep. The blade is with drawn with blood shaking free as it's pulled out.

As he does so Lola unleashes her spell, Bandit 4 looses consciousness while Zyn is pulling out his rapier out and falls asleep.

Rowan at this point rushes out from his position further behind and closes with the bandits and takes a position near Bandit 2. Bandits 1 and 2 would need to directly pass Rowan from there to get to Lola or Callen in one turn from where they started out.

Callen takes a shot at Bandit 1 on the edge where, since he's hidden he gets his sneak and attack. The Arrow finds it's mark hits home impacting the Bandit's abdomen.

Beginning of Round 2:

Bandit 1 has taken a serious wound doesn't want to die today so he start running. He doesn't have anyone immediately next to him so spends his action Dashing away and 60 feet in the direction away from the road, and where the party was approaching from.

Bandit 3 does the same thing and joins him in his escape, dashing 60 feet away.

Bandit 4 is snores at Zyn's feet.

The Black Bear attempts to escape it's cage again and slams it's body against the cage hard. It manages to free itself this time. It roars as it busts out of the cage and moves next to Zyn and rears back on his hind legs to look big and intimidating. It looks like it is about to try and attack Zyn as it ends it's turn.

Current Battlefield: Next up is Zyn followed by Lola. Bandits 1 and 3 are dashing away from the camp. Bandit 2 looks like he's ready to run for it too but his directly adjacent Rowan. Bandit 4 is asleep at Zyn's feet. The Bear is ready to start attacking Zyn but didn't have an action to do so this turn.
 
Last edited:

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Zyn turns slightly to make sure his shield is positioned to deal with the new, massive threat on him. He gives a brief thought to the idea of withdrawing and hoping the creature will be more inclined to deal with its previous captors but he didn't consider himself overly familiar with underdark animals, for all he knew this large beast was a sort of pet that just slept in the cage.

He'd have to hope the others were capable of dealing with the bandits, for now he would focus on this creature. With a flourish he brought his rapier to bear on the large, unknown animal.

Attack: Result: 1d20 (20) + 5 Total: 25 (Crit!)
Damage: Result: 1d8 (1) + 3 Total: 4
Extra Crit Die: Result: 1d8 (6) Total: 6
 
Lola really doesn't want to hurt the bear or see it hurt, she moves in slightly to make sure her next cast works. This time she moves the wand with a renewed vigor, whispering the incantation quickly to try and bring the bear down.

Sleep (Again):
Result: 5d8 (8, 4, 6, 8, 5)
Total: 31

"Leave the animal, it's innocent in all this. Go after those ruffians!"
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Zyn's slash wounds the beast and Lola's sleep spell causes both the Bear and Bandit to fall asleep and topple over.

At this point the fight is almost effectively over the two fleeing Bandits are 90 feet away from Callen which puts them in his long range, which would give him disadvantage on any attacks against him and they don't appear to be slowing down.

The party is left with a sleeping bear and 2 sleeping bandits (one of which is badly wounded), so they have time to figure out what they want to do.
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen lowers his bow and squints at the retreating bandits, shaking his head. He looks to the sleeping bear and bandits, his brow furrowing.

"So...what now?"
 
"We don't have much time to do whatever it is. Um, grab the sleeping bandits tie them up. We need to be out of here in a minute," Lola says. "The bear will wake up angry and rightfully so."

Lola rolled a 9 on her perception check, she will stagger through the camp quickly, her wand at the ready as she uses mage hand to move things aside and search the camp for anything that might be of use.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Most of the Bandit's loot appears to be in the cave behind the wagon. There seems to be an odd pile of coin purses, as well food and expensive looking wine. It looks like they bandits slaughtered what was probably a fine farm raised Boar and cut it up cooked a bunch of it. From the looks of things they probably started eating on yesterday but there there is plenty left eat. There is also a stack of "Various Weapons" (that can be picked out from the player's handbook if anyone is interested).

The Iron piton used to hold the cage shut is on the ground near the wagon.
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
"Load everything onto the wagon, if the bandits can move it we can manage to get it back to the horses," Zyn says curtly as he goes to work tying up the bandits. If possible he'll tie the arms of each bandit with one side of his rope (he has 50'), looped so that they're also attached to the wagon. He'll load the sleeping bodies into the wagon but eventually he'll want the bandits to be able to walk so it's easier to keep an eye on them.

Once that's done he'll assist with loading loot and moving the wagons away from the (hopefully still) sleeping bear.
 
"I have an idea."

Lola uses several casting of mage hand to move the sectioned ham. She tosses one near the bear's face and then the next in the direction the bandits ran, and then another in that same direction over and over in rapid succession. "That might buy us time."

Then she goes to run for the horses. "I'll get the horses."
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen shrugs, stuffing his shortbow back into his quiver to assist with getting the wagon loaded up with everything first, but keeps an eye out for any sort of marks of affiliation on the bandits in particular while they go about their business, especially to some of the Factions active in the area.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Assuming Rowan helps, you have enough time to grab everything valuable and get it in the back of the wagon and push the wagon about 15 feet before the bear wakes up. When it does it grabs the ham left by it bolts away from the party. At that point the two captured bandits also wake up.
 
Lola opts to ride in the wagon with the bandits, she keeps her wand aimed at the pair of them.

"Oh good, you're awake. If you try to escape I'm going to set you on fire and it's already warm enough out here, so let's just sit still," Lola explains to them.

Intimidate:
1d20 (13) + 3 = 16 (or 17, depending on what happens)
 

Dragon D. Luffy

Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Rowan looks back to bandits.

"So... ambushing caravans. It seemed like a good idea because the city didn't have enough guards, right?

Well, tough luck for you. They hired us.

Now... before we decide what we are going to do with you two, I have a couple questions:

- How did you get that bear?

- Where did your friends run to?

- And... would you know anything about the Circle of the Red Moon?"

As he asks the questions, Rowan unsheathes part of his blade, making sure they can see it.

Intimidation: 1d20 (8) + 5 = 13
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
The captured Bandits look pretty scared, the wounded one spoke up first, "We don't know where they ran off to honest! We're just trying to rob people the rich people on the road because we're poor! We didn't plan on where to run off if we needed to run!"

The other one speaks up, "We caught the bear in the woods and stuck him in the cage. You know thought we'd bring him out for a shock and awe tactic. We walk out with a wagon with a bear in it and tell people, 'look, if you don't give us your money, we'll let this bear out!'"

The first one speaks up again, "Isn't the moon a circle? Is it red now?'

If you take time going threw all the loot that the Bandits had managed to accumulate: 99 Copper Pieces, 74 Silver Pieces, and 13 gold pieces across all the various coin purses. They also have five bottles of fine elvish wine worth about 10 gold per bottle, those who can read Elvish script can tell that the wine was bottled by the Elves in the High Forest. There is also a letter addressed to a lord in Waterdeep still in the wagon that mentions gifting a the lord a prize boar and several bottles of wine as a birthday gift. The Crate with the wine stored in it had places for 12 bottles, but there were only 5 left now.
 

Dragon D. Luffy

Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Rowan lets out a sigh. He turns back.

- Doesn't sound like they got anything useful.

- So I suppose we gotta deliver those two to the constable. Meanwhile we need to also sell the wine, unless one of you wants to take a bottle for yourself. Someone also needs to sell the weapons, and the cage. And I think we are getting rid of this caravan too? It might be troublesome for us at the tomb, though it could help carry more loot.
 
Lola lets out a small, frustrated growl. "You can't go around attacking people because they're bloody rich. You could have gotten yourselves or an innocent bear killed. You wasted valuable food and wine not intended for you and you could have gotten me or my companions hurt."

At this point Lola takes off her hat and buries her face into it and screams. She drops the hat back into her lap to speak. "I can't believe this utter carelessness and inconsideration for the things going on around you. The rich have their own problems. I'm sure the bears do to. And so do I."

Lola glares at Rowan. "If it's too much trouble at the tomb then we leave it at my inn--I don't want to take the chance that a bunch of uncouth Goblins eat my horse either."

She turns back to the bandits. "I may have some use for you. If you value not being burned to a crisp or having your hands cut off for thievery--I could talk with the Constable here and then pen a letter vouching for you and send you to Triboar with 5 gold a piece to keep an eye on the city and find work there. I have a feeling that we might need to stop there eventually and you could be my little eyes and ears. Gods know you're maybe too incompetent to do much besides repeat or describe what you hear and see."
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen raises an eyebrow quizzically towards Lola. "Or," he says mildly, turning his attention to the bandits from atop the horse. "You could try to start a new life here, in this town. It may be humble, but it is honest work."
 
Last edited:

Dragon D. Luffy

Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Rowan analysed Lola and Callen for a moment. Then talked to the bandits himself.

- Well... I could request the constable to let you two go free, maybe after you do some work for the town to make up for it. Since we helped them, I think they will probably accept the deal.

He glanced a Lola, then back at the bandits.

- Though if you prefer Lady Belueve's job, it may work for the best too.

It was probably better not to step on Lola's toes, he thought.
 
"Lovely. I can't really break out a quill and parchment in the back of this rickety wagon, but one we get to town and speak to the constable then we're going to see what we can do. I'll be sure to include my the numerous threats that you can look forward to falling prey to should you cross me."

She glanced back toward the front where the horses were. "Do you lot think that bear will be fine?"
 

Dragon D. Luffy

Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Rowan responds.

"I think it will. We didn't even have time to hurt it before you put everyone to sleep and ended the fight. And it seemed healthy enough to break that cage before".

"By the way, good job with the spell there. It prevented a lot of unnecessary bloodshed."
 
Last edited:

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Zyn approaches the wounded bandit an gestures roughly at the injury. "Our duel was interrupted," his voice is calm and flat no sense that he feels magical backup was somehow unfair. "But I was clearly superior in our encounter. And I loaded both of you into the cart, rather than leave you for the creature to wreck vengeance upon." He wasn't exactly sure what this bear creature was, but he could guess from the situation it likely had no love for the bandits.

"As blood payment for your lives, I wish to know everything you know about the 'Howling Hatred.' Who are they, where to they make their lair?"

Charisma Check: Result: 1d20 (16) Total: 16
(He has neither persuasion nor intimidation so I guess interpret however you want, from his point of view it's more simple exchange than threat but the bandits might see it differently)

Insight: Result: 1d20 (19) + 3 Total: 22
(If needed/wanted)
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Callen appears both unsurprised and unimpressed as he trots along on his horse, considering the two erstwhile thieves.

"Not to interrupt your contractual coercion by a teenage girl, but what are your names, the names of those others that ran from us, and where did you originally come from?"
 
Top Bottom