1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

A little test I ran.

Discussion in 'Naruto Dub Discussion' started by Naruto Ann, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Naruto Ann Naruto Anime Purist

So, my brother is in Junior High ( grade 8 ) and being related to me he is directly influenced by the awesomeness that is me.

My brother, although influenced by me, has failed over the past two years at getting his friends hooked on Naruto because it was in Japanese and they whined about reading subtitles.

Once they got that lethal taste of it in English in their systems, though, they were hooked. Yes, I'll give the dub that at least - it converted heathens to the Light.

So, I ran me a little test using those kids as my test subject. They're about 13 to 14, which I imagine will be a big chunk of the audience. Instead of giving them the good, quality fansubs that I grabbed by Toriyama's World so many ages ago. Instead, I pushed the Hong Kong* DVDs down their throats.

*Hong Kong bootlegged DVDs are notorious for occasionally having really bad picture quality and the most retarded and sometimes hilarious subtitles ever.

So, natural curiousity finally kicked in and five different kids borrowed the first 50 episodes of Naruto from indirectly through my brother, and the result was this:

"Holy crap Naruto kicks ass in Japanese!"

One of them has sworn off the dub and he's going to watch the rest of the series in badass Anbu/AonE style on my brother's computer, and they all like the voices more in Japanese.

Whatever, I saw that coming pretty quick just like the flood (flood as compared to the titlewave that will soon come) of people getting a taste of the manga via Shonen Jump with its undesirable "Ninja Centerfold" switching over to scanlations on the 'net.

Soon our little flood will die down, dub fans although much greater in number will gradually switch over to being sub fans because they won't be able to satiate their thirst for Naruto, and we'll all be a big happy family again.

--Except for the people who can't tolerate subtitles or feel dialup will prevent the awesomeness that is Junko Takeuchi screaming "dattebayo!" way too often. The dialuppers will either convert to HK DVDs because they're pretty cheap and you can get the story (unless you're stupid) and you don't have to download them painfully slow, or they'll stick with the dub.

Either way, I can see a whole bunch of people converting to Purism in the coming months. :cool

Forumgoer #1: But Naruto Ann, you hate the dub, and even though you're absolutely correct and your theories will come to pass like the Second Coming, you continue to bash the dub! Why is that?

Answer: Simple. I still don't like it, and someone's gotta push through for the home team.

Forumgoer #2: You're a big doodoo head, give the dub a chance! The voices are good and the edits are minute because of soccer moms!!!
    ^-- I hate the first person that will eventually try to toss that at my face in this thread officially. And the second, and the third, and so forth.

If the elitist attitude bothers you, just ignore it I guess. And ignore the religious shoutouts if it offends you. I'm not going to read over my post because it's too long for me to care to edit, so try to be courteous and ignore me speelin' n gramer errorz k????

Tags:
  2. Kamendex Retired from Forum

Your hilarious for a young kid lol, you have a unique sense of humor...me gusta

You remind me a bit of myself o.o, cocky sarcastic and hilarious :clap

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  3. Naruto Ann Naruto Anime Purist

My little brother is the young one. I myself am a whopping age 17, and if your little user blurb to the left of your name holds true, I'm actually a year older than you. Little kids don't come as awesome as me.

But, thanks for recognizing my sense of humor anyway, as it WAS meant to provide a little humor.

4. Kamendex Retired from Forum

Damn, I read your first paragraph to fast and thought you said older brother...o well that doesnt change the fact that your funny rofl

5. TDM Toast

I'm still trying to figure out the point of that post, I think you're saying that the dub is bad, right?

Oh well, at least you bothered to write an essay.

100% correct, try watching season two One Piece on that, you'll read "so that's how the cookie crumbles" and "we don't grasp a clue" more than Naruto says Dattebayo.

6. Naruto Ann Naruto Anime Purist

That blurb up there would fail so hard as an essay. Unless you have the most liberal English teacher ever. (And I don't.)

Point being, even though fans are going to see the dub first inevitably, I'm pretty sure most of them will end up forsaking it after a while for whatever reason. To see more, or just so they're not mocked for their little dub lingo? It happened to DBZ, it happened to the manga, weather patterns read Hurricane Dub will have similar effects.

I personally liked reading "I love" every time they said Gaara.

7. TDM Toast

Once again, exaggeration...

Eh? Where was that?

8. Kamendex Retired from Forum

dbz voices sucked man, I agree with N-Ann, Japanese voices, even though they sound like shinstasdltkjasldtasljtalsd dattebayo to me, have more emotion and character in them

9. Naruto Ann Naruto Anime Purist

Uh, if you grabbed the green HK set with Naruto on the front (it was a rip off, the others actually had BETTER subtitles and quality, not to mention 25 instead of 21...I sold that 15$ set for 30$ like an evil man), when Gaara first shows up they refer to him as "I love", and Kankurou's Karasu as "Raven" or "Crow", depending on whichever tickled their fancy at the moment I guess.

I could say more but I don't want to go into spoilers.

10. Tayuya (the banned one) S-Ranked Evil Bitch

You're a big doodoo head, give the dub a chance! The voices are good and the edits are minute because of soccer moms!!!

11. TDM Toast

DBZ voices sucked, well I knew that hehe.

Oh no, the OP subtitles were much worse. Ever hear someone call Sanji Sunkist, Zoro Suron, Luffy Roof, and Usopp Liar and Crook Bu?

Yeah!

12. Kool ka lang -----------

What you just said Naruto Ann, is happening with me friends too... since most of 'em are like, "Naruto sucks!!! it doesn't have blood, they suck, wannabe DBZ... etc.etc.."
    Next Day i tell 'em to watch subs on the net, so now, they're like, "OMG NARUTO IS TEH AWTSOMENESSNESS!!@$^(<__< TOTAL PWNAGE TO EBERYTHING ELSE!!!!!" Figures....

I just hope the dub people realize the awesomeness that is fansubs.

here's a site for any dub watchers who want to see the fansubs, but not download the 180MB or so episodes... if you don't want to spoil months waiting for a new episode on CN every week, don't go to the site. If you want to waste away hours and hours watching naruto straight, this is for you. OF course, once you get to the latest episode, you'll just have to wait everyweek for the japanese episodes to come out like the rest of us:laugh
    Spoiler:
    hinthint-naruto-bunshin.com hinthint.

The quality of their episodes is a little bit diminished, but it should be enough for people who don't have bittorrent. (ordinary eps 170-180MB, rmvb 30-40 MB)
    This post is a little long....so there
    EDIT-I don't hate the dubs, but it could be better. they're actually doing a pretty good job, kinda. (no serious editing, at least till now...)

13. Naruto Ann Naruto Anime Purist

You-know-who told me I didn't have enough hate, and that that was why I failed in keeping people from saying that, so I'm hating harder than ever to make sure that post never pops up again.

edit: I had only heard rumors of the fabled "Sunkist"... No I'm joking, my first experience with One Piece was in New Orleans at a friend's house, and he had those accursed DVDs. He also talked me into getting the Naruto bootlegs, but I don't buy them anymore.

14. TDM Toast

*snickers quietly*

15. Procyon Loveless

You know there's a Complaints Thread, right? And what makes you so sure of any of your theories? You pass your opinions off as fact, but anyone can oppose with a converse theory easily. Opinions can be society's greatest strength when they are united, but when diversified, it leads to controversy, which leads to disagreements, and so forth. You're not pushing through for the home team when you pass yourself off as some omniscient god.

So when you come here and pass around theories like you're some all-knowing Messiah, expect to be called a "doodoo head" at the least, ya weirdo sub elitist. :notrust

I could care less about your attitude about things, but I do care that you decide to shove your opinions in people's face. We never asked for your opinions. We just got 'em. Post more carefully next time.

16. Naruto Ann Naruto Anime Purist

That Complaints Thread and I have been having a weird sort of affair tonight. I'm jumping between multiple topics - I can't stay faithful to the one thread that lured me in.

Just to be sure, you DO realize that the little "forumgoer" blurbs were for fun, right?

Yeah, I do pass my opinion off as fact a lot. Do I believe that this entire dub haters thing will pass? For the most part, hell yeah. There's still DB/Z purists out there that loathe any English variant of their beloved Son Gokuu's adventure, even when the dub sort of osmosised out. The thing is, do you really want me to go into why I think the dub thing will blow over and everyone, various newbies to the series/site aside, will eventually start saying "Kagebunshin no Jutsu" instead of whatever adaptation they threw up in English?

The "all-knowing Messiah" attitude was also partly for humor's sake. It's a forum, get over it. You chose to click my lil' ol' topic and read, I didn't force you. For the sake of it, though. Do you believe the kid who doesn't even believe his own theories, or do you believe the kid that thinks he's right? Translated to Naruto terms, do you follow Hinata, full of self doubt, or Naruto, oozing with freaking confidence?

17. TDM Toast

You really should stay to one, it's easier to coordinate.

I guess I have no sense of humor.
    And that's bad?
    I follow Neji, who can make solid points with reason.

And as for the al-knowing messiah thingy, we had something similar to it, and it didn't end up very well.

18. Procyon Loveless

:oh That didn't make any sense to me. o.0;

When people say something along the lines of "just kidding" it means they regret saying it at all.

The anime used a direct translation of Kagebunshin no Jutsu, (Shadowclone Jutsu) while the manga used "Art of the Doppel Ganger". It's really a 100% improvement.

It is a forum. But people tend to forget that we're people too. Just because all you see is words, doesn't mean there isn't a person typing them. I believe some one who supports their theories, but rebel against them when they believe their theory to the point of foolishness. If I related it to your terms, there were many instances where Naruto turned out looking awful dumb for his blind confidence. :p

Anyway, I quit. Nice debating, but keep it in the complaints thread.

19. Naruto Ann Naruto Anime Purist

Neji's the real doodoo head. Stupid fate.

I don't REGRET the little joke at the end of my post. I should probably print it out and hand copies to everyone that's ever been to the forums here just so they can see how awesome it was. It should've been obvious that it was s'posed to be funny. Kamendex saw that pretty easily, riterite?

I guess I kinda fouled up with the Kagebunshin no Jutsu thing, 'cause I couldn't remember what they used at all. I just remember it not sounding cool. All I meant by that comment was that people'd eventually wind up using the more common term as they begin to mingle with the rest of the fanbase and as they slowly switch from dub-to-sub. You're right, Doppleganger was a piece of crap.

And FINALLY! This wasn't originally intended to be a complaint, it was a one-sided analysis of what I'm confident the future will hold. It just spiralled out of control because I'm cranky. In the end, don't'chu still love Naruto when he's done making a fool of himself?

20. UnderGroundJunkie_UGJ AnimeJunkie of the UnderGround

Seems like a useless thread with ranting on comments that go off topic at the end. Yea and there is a complaint thread. Use it and dont have any excuse not to use it ethier.
    Change: Didnt u noticed u should these movies to adolescents that just hit puberty. If ur going to make statement or make a test do it on mature adults and not kids who just got a little peace fuzz growing in there pants.

21. icoselitham Lost

I'm a little confused :wink... can you put this in the scientific method form.
    Observation
    Hypothesis
    Experiment
    Conclusion

22. Panzer Kunst A Blizzard's Chorus

Kids are growing up so quickly these days. This seventeen year-old girl has better writing ability than many of you fully grown adults. Feel ashamed.

I largely agree with Miss Ann's opening post, though I must stress the importance of the dub and it's effect on the audience it targets. You theorize that dubbers will eventually join the "happy family" that is subtitle viewers, and this is largely correct. You seem to overlook that the dub is essential to this transition, as the transition can never happen if the dub is not there to bring these kids into the fold. Therefore, as elitist as you proudly claim to be, you cannot deny the dubbed version of Naruto's importance in spreading the good word. The ratings are ridiculous, and soon the kids who are being weaned on this wonderful series will discover what they're missing. Then, and only then, will we enjoy new members of our great big crazy family in the purest sense of the word.

Sorry if I sound like a scolding old coot (I'm only five years your senior) but dubs will always have a place in my heart since that's where my obsession with anime began. Original Akira dub, how I adore thee.

23. nah-nah Believe it-ttebayo!

UGJ... If you happened to read the post AND the rest of the thread correctly, I doubt that you would have said that this belongs in the complaint thread.

Naruto Ann makes a valid point, but I do have to agree with Panzer Kunst, Disco King, and the others. The dub IS essential to bring these new fans into our litle world. ^^

However, though you disagree with her, UGJ, your comment about "peace fuzz," or if I spell correctly, "peach fuzz," is highly inappropriate for this thread. Her test was just fine, and I don't believe she needs to do this test on "mature adults," because doesn't Cartoon Network aim their shows towards these "adolescents that just hit puberty," as you so redundantly say, anyway?

Anyway, this thread was another interesting read to me. I'm glad to see that there are still intelligent people out here. <3

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  24. IveGotCandy IGC in Black&White

To the first poster:
    Hurray, you've gotten 5 people to stop watching the dub. *sniff* I bet your so proud:crying

25. TDM Toast

Read the ma---nevermind...

Well it's kind of obvious we don't think like Kamendex.

Err, ok?

No it was a loosely veiled complaint (for the Hong Kong Subs anyway). It was really was more of an attempt to change people's "opinions" on the dub.

26. Panzer Kunst A Blizzard's Chorus

I'm having trouble believing Disco King is a 13 year-old kid. He writes more like a cynical old man than someone in the springtime of youth.

27. nah-nah Believe it-ttebayo!

You too, Panzer Kunst? I keep looking at his age, and I find myself utterly confused and... well, impressed, actually, if Disco King is indeed 13.

28. UnderGroundJunkie_UGJ AnimeJunkie of the UnderGround

Wait he's 13. Wow he writes better than me. I feel....

29. TDM Toast

If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a hard time believing it too. ;)

30. UnderGroundJunkie_UGJ AnimeJunkie of the UnderGround

Hey. You should take pride that u write better than most the people on this forum at a young age. Just means u can duke out like the rest of us just a lot better sometimes. Your like a child prodigy. HAHAHAHA!