1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

A Quiet Place [April 6, 2018]

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by Mider T, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Mider T VM Zombie

Tags:
  2. NordicXFiles Well-Known Member

Don't know how I feel about this plot. Why not leave and move to a place where you can talk? Although I'm sure it will be a sensory experience.

3. GRIMMM The Black Empire

Seen the trailer for this tonight when I was at the cinema seeing Insidious: TLK (don't ask), and thought it looked very interesting. Looking forward to it.

4. GRIMMM The Black Empire

Saw this today and have to say it exceeded my expectations. The stress throughout of the characters not being able to make sound was incredibly tense. I would recommend this as it is one of the best movies I've seen this year so far.

5. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Yeah it was good. There are a few things I had difficulty swallowing, but it was suspenseful.

6. GRIMMM The Black Empire

7. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Why isn't this family in some sort of bunker? They allude to the possibility that going underground would be safe, but it's never clarified that they've ever tried this.

Did these things really overrun the entire military? A shotgun was enough to blow its head off and even though their body is fortified, they expose their vulnerable spots whenever they enter kill mode...Now imagine machine guns, explosives, etc. being used against them.

There were a few parts near the ending where I felt like they would've been fine if they just stayed still and remained quiet. But then the Father has to go for that axe.

Also, was that little kid THAT f@cking stupid?! I know kids are normally dumb, he clearly understands the rules of this world to an extent, as otherwise they wouldn't take him out to a danger zone like that.

These aren't really plot holes and I'm not even going to call it bad writing, as they can be explained to a point. Or maybe they don't even need explaining. Perhaps there are billions of these things on Earth, which might explain why 3 are randomly near this isolated location. Perhaps the bunkers failed. Or they simply weren't able to find any during the time it would take to evacuate. 'I had difficulty swallowing' doesn't mean I couldn't swallow it. I did...it just made me pause when the question came up.

8. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Gonna watch this when most people are at work/school. Last thing I need in a movie called "A Quiet Place" is a loud baby crying in the theater.:notrust

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  9. Yasha Procreate

Japan
    I always bring a handkerchief dipped in chloroform for situations like this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the movie but it to be waaaay overhyped.:laugh

11. Mider T VM Zombie

I expected this movie to be good and I'm glad to see it was. I do wonder if the Lee Abbot was a survivalist before the aliens came?

12. Gifted Well-Known Member

I’m assuming you didn’t see the movie and was just told what happened in the movie by someone.

For one the sound waves from the deaf girl exposed the Monsters face allowing it too be shot in its weak spot/raw flesh).

Secondly there was an article with a soldier shooting at one of the monsters with the caption “Indetsrutible”?
    So that means most wepaons if not all couldn’t get through the armour.

And considering these things fell from the sky and the damage being the equivalent of a nuke(also shown in a news paper article headline) it can be heavily implied their armour is tough.

Also how could a 4 year old,boy understand the concept of life and death and that Aline shave invaded and wiped out most of humanity?

There are also probably no bunkers that they could find in the area and it’s possible they would make a lot of noise looking for one.

The bunker suggestion was in an article when the invasion just begun so maybe they causing find one in time before humanity was wiped out.

13. Gifted Well-Known Member

The creatures? They were aliens as hinted numerous times with the newspaper articles calling it an “Invasion” and a “Meteor Shower” in Mexico aswell as them being referred to as dark Angeles implying they come from the sky.

14. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Yeah but why was it so shocking that sound based aliens could disoriented at high frequencies?

15. Gifted Well-Known Member

I never said it was shocking.

16. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

1) The Monsters face exposed itself every time it was in attack mode...which they presumably were in when they were attacking the military...

2) So a shotgun can do what a high powered military rifle could not? Not that it matters, as I acknowledged the armor, but said that the military weapons would/should have got them in their exposed faces, especially as they were somewhat prone when they were attacking...meaning that exposed face will be the easiest target anyway.

3) Once again, I'm not contesting the armor.

4) Because he seemed to understand the basics during his introductory scene. He seemed to understand the threat of the aliens, even if his solution was obviously childish naivety.

5) Like I said, the bunker can be explained.

I know you love the movie and all, but please read my post instead of instinctively reacting to it because I wasn't blindly worshiping it. I say that a lot of these points can be explained or do not require explaining and I also said clarified that having difficulty swallowing some of this stuff does not mean I couldn't swallow it. They just made me pause, briefly taking me out of the movie as I was watching it.

17. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Didn't say you did. I just thought it was funny that that was the big revelation.

18. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Eh..just because a kid understands getting hit by a car hurts doesn't mean they won't run after a rubber ball in front of one. Just chalk it up to him being a dumb kid.

And tbh..I doubt he understood the basics since he didn't have a care in the world in the grocery store almost tipping over objects and all that jazz.

19. Mider T VM Zombie

No it didn't, hence why Lee was unable to damage the creature with the ax.

20. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

When it attacked like that near the end, that wasn't the first time it exposed its face. I guess it's possible I'm mistaken that it did so every time, but it seemed like a pretty common face to make. And Lee not getting it with the axe was because the thing had the jump on him and moved so fast that there would've been no time to properly aim (it's also unclear if an axe would be strong enough).

It's not that you're wrong about that, but isn't it suggested that he put in the batteries himself? I seem to remember Lee taking them out and the daughter just handing him the shuttle. If a kid can figure out how to put in batteries, he should know that 'sound= bad'. At the absolute least, when it suddenly turned on, he would've thrown it away out of fear of his parents getting angry, if he doesn't understand the monsters. He obviously knows to obey his parents enough that he never makes any noise himself, nor does he do anything but pout when they take it away. It's one thing to make mistakes. It's another to cluelessly start playing with a toy that's making noise right in front of your parents who forbid you to do so. As a kid, I was dumb enough to break the rules, but not dumb enough to do it right next to them.

But even if I'm being unreasonable, wouldn't that make his parents the dumb ones? Did EVERYONE have to go on this trip and if the kid was too young to understand the importance of silence, wouldn't the smart thing to be is have one parent stay behind with the younger kids?

Don't get me wrong. The trade off was worth it, as it was a very suspenseful scene. But that doesn't mean I can't say some of the writing was questionable there.

21. Gifted Well-Known Member

Actually NO BECAUSE THE MONSTERS DID NOT EAT ANYONE so their faces were not exposed. I also don’t recall seeing a face exposed when they ganked Santa Clause and Georgie.

22. Gifted Well-Known Member

That wasn’t the big revelation it was just chracter development since the daughter never wanted her Father’s sound aids because they never worked but they ended up being the way to kill the monsters.

And her father never found out the weakness of the monsters and it was something he was trying to do or was very curious about hence the multiple circles and question marks around the weakness.

23. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Those are bad examples because we barely got any glimpse of them during those attacks, as the movie was building up to their big reveal, but they do so when chasing the others...trying to kill them.

and...what? The Monsters did not eat anyone? I was under the impression that they killed off most of humanity. Or are you misinterpreting what I mean when I say 'attack mode'?That is when they are...you know...attacking people? They do that throughout the entirety of the 3rd act.

24. Jake CENA BAH GAWD KING, IT'S JAKE CENA!!

SPOILER TAG DAT SHIT! :pek

25. Gifted Well-Known Member

The Sound waves exposed its weak spot end of the discussion..and no it didn’t hit expose its weak spot when attacking people.

26. Gifted Well-Known Member

Who’s?

27. Jake CENA BAH GAWD KING, IT'S JAKE CENA!!

28. Mider T VM Zombie

We didn't actually see the aliens (just gonna call them Audiotrophs from now on) eat anyone. Just kill people with their freakishly long limbs.

I'm curious to how many came down to Earth, we know there are 3 in Central New York where the Abbotts live but whatever they came in landed in Mexico and it's implied to be a worldwide panic.

29. Gifted Well-Known Member

They crashed into earth in a meteor shower which I would assume would be dozens of them balled up in their armour.

In the script however which is a decent amount different. They came in a spaceship.

30. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I'll have to watch it again, as I could've sworn
    Spoiler:
    I saw that weak spot multiple times throughout the movie, but maybe I'm confused.

Anyone else see it?

I would like to think there were more than dozens of them if they conquered the planet. I would assume there are probably millions, if not billions considering how 3 of them are conveniently located in this isolated location.

What else was different in the script?