1. img
    The KCC is hosting a Short Story Horror Contest!
    The deadline for entries is October 24th at 1am UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Are you an artist that loves One Piece ?
    Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    The deadline is on October 21th at 7:00 pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Come enter in the Alley Banner Contest - Mark VI!
    Deadline for entries is October 18th.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Halloween!
    Deadline for entries: October 31st at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire - Part 1

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Tazmo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Bontakun Moderator

As well as
    Spoiler:
    Jon's corpse being tossed over the wall, turning into a White Walker, then returning as Undead Lord Commander who solves two problems in one, by recruiting his white walker pals to defend the wall.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. DemonDragonJ

Martin has said that The Winds of Winter may possibly be released, this year, but, given that he has been vague about release dates, before, I presume that it is safe for use to presume that martin's word should not be taken as a guarantee in this situation?

Also, given that the television series has been deviating from the books, will Martin continue to write the books as he chooses to do so, and not allow the immense popularity of the television series affect how he writes the remaining two books?

3. Bontakun Moderator

He said the same thing last year, so who knows? There's a probability that it's not gonna be released again this year. Though he's already released 7 or 8 preview chapters in various channels.

He'll definitely stick with whatever plan he's got. If it happens to go in the same direction as the TV Series, it only means that he told the TV Series writers ahead of time what he was planning. I don't think a writer would change his story to match something that's essentially a fan reproduction.

4. Seraphiel

It's never gonna get released, the fat fuck is gonna die before he finishes it and I'm perfectly okay with it.

5. DemonDragonJ

I am not okay with that; I wish to know how the story ends, what fates ultimately befall the characters, and if there are any significant changes in the world.

6. Fruit Monger

Yea, the show producers know broad strokes, which is why they consolidated certain plot lines in the show (example: Stannis and Jon).

7. Aduro

Its not just that they only know broad strokes. I think they know quite a few details but they have to cut out major characters to streamline the story. For example there's no way they didn't know about 'Young Griff', but they still cut him out. And he's probably going to be a major character in the next book at least. Hell they scrambled to include Euron at the last minute and in the books he's being built as a major threat to the Seven Kingdoms.

Anway, I think GRRM has generally made it clear that he writes what he wants to write without being swayed by fans or the show. He made a point of releasing the Mercy chapter before the episode that was based off of those events to show that he was the one who chose to have Arya join the mummers as part of her faceless man training. Fans of the book and show are mostly used to them being very different at times.

8. Stannis

Flag:
    Germany

>tfw you'll never hear TWOW in Roy Dotrice's voice :(

RIP

9. Superman

Flag:
    United States

With all due respect to that person the only reason this thread should be bumped is for the actual goddamn date for the book! :catflip

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. DemonDragonJ

One thing that bothers me about this series is how women are treated as being inferior to men and children born out of wedlock are despised by society; I understand that that is how things were in the actual medieval days, but that is one instance where Martin could have deviated from history, because he is writing the books in a time when men and women are supposedly equals and very few people care about the marital status of one's parents, so I imagine that some readers may not like those elements of his books.

11. SSMG

Well they are treated as such by some of the men, but usually the women in this series proves them wrong. Dany Cersei and Arya basically spit in the face of women being inferior to men.

The weddlock and martial thing is just him making the setting more realistic. Similar to i*c*st in this series and i*c*st irl among royal families back in the day. Not many readers agree with that nor practice that but we roll with it because it makes the setting more fitting to the times.

12. Mider T

Flag:
    United States

13. Shiba D. Inu

haha that guy is a joker

implying he will ever get that far :tomha

14. Mider T

Flag:
    United States