1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thousand Swords

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Elric of Melniboné, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Elric of Melniboné White Wolf

It comes to you suddenly. A sort of epiphany.

You were powerless.

The world you knew could not be changed. You could not make it a better place.

What rhetoric and words you spout would go on deaf ears.

No matter what you said your words would not move the hearts of the people. Nor did you want to win that way. A victory like that would take decades, centuries, and maybe even millennia. It would be a pyrrhic victory. By the time the change would come the lives lost, and the blood shed would be astronomical.

No, change had to be immediate for you. If not then it would be meaningless. The victory would be hollow, and far from complete.

You want an utter, and absolute victory.

You seek a better world and you want it now.

However, how would that even be possible in a world defined by its limitations? A man could not defeat an army by himself. He could not move mountains. He could not break the moon, and shatter the sun. He could not grasp the stars in his hands.

You need power, and I offer you that gift.

Not the illusion of it. No, true unquestionable power:

That can strike fear into the hearts of gods and devils.

You wish to know my name? I have no name.

So, instead I will ask you something.

What will you name me, my master?

[] You remember the Sighing Desert. Those hot sands between your toes. They were harsh but they kept the mernii at bay. As they were enchanted long ago, and nothing could penetrate them now. No magic, and no sorcery. It brings back memories of a time when you were in service to a deity you would curse now. Alnaar. Yes, that name would suit your friend.

[] You remember the relief you felt as you fell, and you heard the anathema collapse upon itself. Your lover by your side as life leaves your body. It hits you like a bolt of lightning. What would happen to her now without you? You feel her tears as they drop onto your face. You have no regrets now, and fate was brought to an end by your own hand. You were all free now but that wasn't the end, was it Rakurai?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Crimson Dragoon Red Eyes

[X] You remember the Sighing Desert. Those hot sands between your toes. They were harsh but they kept the mernii at bay. As they were enchanted long ago, and nothing could penetrate them now. No magic, and no sorcery. It brings back memories of a time when you were in service to a deity you would curse now. Alnaar. Yes, that name would suit your friend.

3. trexalfa Well-Known Member

[X] You remember the Sighing Desert. Those hot sands between your toes. They were harsh but they kept the mernii at bay. As they were enchanted long ago, and nothing could penetrate them now. No magic, and no sorcery. It brings back memories of a time when you were in service to a deity you would curse now. Alnaar. Yes, that name would suit your friend.

4. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

[x] You remember the Sighing Desert. Those hot sands between your toes. They were harsh but they kept the mernii at bay. As they were enchanted long ago, and nothing could penetrate them now. No magic, and no sorcery. It brings back memories of a time when you were in service to a deity you would curse now. Alnaar. Yes, that name would suit your friend.

5. Elric of Melniboné White Wolf

Y
    ou feel the hot air hit your face and see a fire in the distance. It brings light to the darkness that obscured your sight before.

You travel across the sands on foot. As you grow closer to the fire in the distance you begin to sweat. It was so hot. You could hardly even breath. It was if the air itself was threatening to ignite, and bring an end to your life.

"Your name..." Those words leave your parched lips. "It is Alnaar, is it not?"

The fires seems to subside, and as you finally reach your destination you find yourself in an oasis. What remained of the flames rises up into the air around you, and quickly swirls together before shooting towards into the sky.

It becomes the sun.

It is night no longer and morning comes with the birth of a new star, and you raise your hand to protect your eyes. It is bright but now that is so far away it is bearable. You fall to your knees and begin to drink.

After that, you could only think of water.

"You have found me at last, my brother." You look up and you see it. It was a , and it was magnificent. The guard reminded you of a star, and within was a red ruby that seemed to see look at you. It was embedded in a rock in the middle of the oasis. The pommel was an upside down cross, and upon seeing it you couldn't help but get the sense of deja vu. You remember a face, and a name. A man you tried to save once from making the same mistakes you made.

It has no mouth. It was if it was speaking directly into your mind, and transmitting what intentions it had with a glance of its red eye.

"What is this place?" You wonder what exactly this was. A dream, maybe?

"You're more right than you know." The black sword seems to know of your thoughts. "It is a dream. A world you designed based on memories of a life long since passed."

A life long since passed?

"Well, if this isn't real then I will just wake up--"

"It is real." It laughs.

"You said it was a dream? Did you not?" You look at the black sword confused, and wonder why this dream was so vivid when compared to others you had in the past. It was almost real.

"Just because it is a dream does not make it any less real than what world you experience when you are awake. That world is a dream just like this one. However, it is another person's dream. It is not yours, as far as I know..." The red ruby in the guard of the black sword seems to sparkle with amusement. As if it knows secrets that it has yet to speak of.

"That's ridiculous! That world is not a dream. It is real. I can touch it, and feel it!"

"Oh? Is that so. Then may I ask you something. What did you feel on your way here?"

You stop at that, and realize what has been bothering you since this journey began. If this was a dream why could you feel everything in it? The fires that now dance in the sky were still there, and the water in your mouth was wet. Refreshing. It had a taste.

You cough, and spit out the water.

"What is going on..." You look at your hands, and see your reflection in the water of the oasis. You see white hair, and red eyes looking back at you. That's not right!

"It is not your face now but it is one you wore once upon a time." You feel it at the edge of your consciousness. They were memories that were yours, and at the same time not.

You grab your head, and growl in frustration. You pinch yourself but you do not wake.

"Get me out of here!" You command the black sword.

"I will in due time but now that you have given me my name I must ask yours. After all, I should know the name of my brother."

You grip your head so hard that your nails dig into your scalp, and draw blood. There were so many memories, and not enough time to sort through them all.

"Very well." You try to remember the name that was given to you. "It is..."

[] You remember the feeling of betrayal. Why would he do this to you? You were nothing but loyal to your master. You were his right-hand. His most trusted child. Yet, when you had the honor of surpassing him he tore the wings from your back and cast you into the Lake of the Dead. Kain, he refused the sacrifice, just so he could rule over the crumbling ruins left behind. Now Nosgoth was suffering because of him but something was wrong. You felt a tugging at your soul. There was something else. Another creature coiling around the pillars of balance, and the wheel. Somewhere deep within the confines of your mind you knew what it was, and that it was to blame for everything. Your name was Raziel, and you were a man once. Then a vampire. Now you are not sure what you are.

[] You remember a fire. You remember the screams of people as they were set ablaze. You lost everything that day, and when you awoke you found yourself in a hospital. The face of a man with tears running down his face was your first memory. He was happy that he saved you. You were the only one he could save that day. He gave you a name since you could not remember your own: Emiya Shirou. He was the man you would one day call father. You wanted to be just like him. You wanted to emulate him. You wanted to be able to smile like he did when he saved you. That was your greatest wish. It was the dream you wanted to fulfill but it was not yours. You realize that with a sudden clarity. It was his dream. What was yours?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  6. Crimson Dragoon Red Eyes

[X] You remember the feeling of betrayal. Why would he do this to you? You were nothing but loyal to your master. You were his right-hand. His most trusted child. Yet, when you had the honor of surpassing him he tore the wings from your back and cast you into the Lake of the Dead. Kain, he refused the sacrifice, just so he could rule over the crumbling ruins left behind. Now Nosgoth was suffering because of him but something was wrong. You felt a tugging at your soul. There was something else. Another creature coiling around the pillars of balance, and the wheel. Somewhere deep within the confines of your mind you knew what it was, and that it was to blame for everything. Your name was Raziel, and you were a man once. Then a vampire. Now you are not sure what you are.

why the fuck would I not pick this?

7. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

[x] You remember the feeling of betrayal. Why would he do this to you? You were nothing but loyal to your master. You were his right-hand. His most trusted child. Yet, when you had the honor of surpassing him he tore the wings from your back and cast you into the Lake of the Dead. Kain, he refused the sacrifice, just so he could rule over the crumbling ruins left behind. Now Nosgoth was suffering because of him but something was wrong. You felt a tugging at your soul. There was something else. Another creature coiling around the pillars of balance, and the wheel. Somewhere deep within the confines of your mind you knew what it was, and that it was to blame for everything. Your name was Raziel, and you were a man once. Then a vampire. Now you are not sure what you are.

8. Crimson Dragoon Red Eyes

BTW @Elric of Melniboné, you should threadmark your story posts so it'd be easier to follow for newcomers when it gets long enough

9. trexalfa Well-Known Member

[X] You remember the feeling of betrayal. Why would he do this to you? You were nothing but loyal to your master. You were his right-hand. His most trusted child. Yet, when you had the honor of surpassing him he tore the wings from your back and cast you into the Lake of the Dead. Kain, he refused the sacrifice, just so he could rule over the crumbling ruins left behind. Now Nosgoth was suffering because of him but something was wrong. You felt a tugging at your soul. There was something else. Another creature coiling around the pillars of balance, and the wheel. Somewhere deep within the confines of your mind you knew what it was, and that it was to blame for everything. Your name was Raziel, and you were a man once. Then a vampire. Now you are not sure what you are.

PD: Gwyn please :wow

10. Elric of Melniboné White Wolf

It was peeling the skin away from your bones. When the waters touched your skin, and you fell deeper into the whirlpool. You could remember the pain of having lost your wings but that was forgotten when you felt your flesh being burnt away. It was so much worse! There was nothing like it. Your master had consigned you to torture, and death. Just because he feared what you were becoming.

"Raziel!" You grit your teeth. "That is my name."

"Well, Raziel. I have a warning for you." Alnaar whispers those words directly into your mind. "If you leave this place you will forget what transpired here. It will be nothing more than a mirage."

You knew that already. It was the same every time.

The memories would disappear.

"I offer you more than just a lesson, my brother." Alnaar speaks once more. "I offer you another chance at life."

You could see glimpses of what would happen if you refused. The elder god would use you. It would use your desire for revenge to bring an end to Kain. A part of you wants that more than anything. Yet, another part of you understands that it would change nothing. Nosgoth would be caught in the grip of something far worse than Kain. Just so you could have your revenge.

"What is it?" You had to know. Just what was this parasite upon the wheel.

"An archetype, perhaps? It may have forgotten what it was but now it seeks to devour Nosgoth. It went by many names, and took on many forms. However, it was always the grand consumer. The first insect spawned in the primordial nothing before your world came to be." Alnaar seems distant as it speaks. "Do not hate, Kain. You will come to understand why he does this."

"Understand? Why he betrayed me, and cast me into the abyss! No, I will not come to understand that. Nor do I want to." You grimace as you look at this faux body you now wear. What happened to your other one? "What do you mean by another chance at life?"

The red ruby in the guard of Alnaar seems to glitter. As if in anticipation of what would come next.

"You must not wake from your dream..."

You must not wake, and instead make your way back another way.

It dawns on you as other memories begin to resurface. These dreams they shape the world around us, and you would forget this.

Provided you did wake from your dream. If not...

You remember them again, those webs connecting the worlds together, passing through each realm, and those silvery lights: the moonbeam roads.

If all the realms were just dreams what would stop you from using them?

"So, you are beginning to remember." Alnaar chuckles. "However, it seems the worst of your memories are lost to you for now."

"How can I open the way?" You try, and remember the spell but it seems so far away now buried under so many other memories.

"I will help you open the way." Alnaar answers you, and you can't help but wonder what it wanted with you.

"In return for what exactly? " Your eyes begin to narrow, and you prepare yourself for the worst.

"I wish to be by your side. I wish to be your right-hand. Just as you were Kain's right-hand? I would be yours." Alnaar sounds wistful as it speaks. "It was why I was born. It was why I was made. I am as much a part of you, as you are me. There is always a hero, and there is always a sword."

Those last words make you twitch, and you reach towards your chest. A phantom pain from another life. A betrayal you will not forget. Your right-hand you once called it by another name.

"Just so you would betray me again, Stormbringer?" You died to a black sword much like this one.

"Do not compare me to the anathema!" Alnaar is indignant at the very prospect. "When it did that it betrayed itself, and it betrayed you. It was a blasphemous act spurned on by what had corrupted it."

Yes, you are beginning to remember now. The anathema.

That which sought to bring an end to every realm, and break the balance. It was gone now.

Just as the balance was.

"Despite that, and all your sacrifices Yggdrasil still withers. It is not just that parasite that now eats at the roots."

There were everywhere, and now they were free from the balance. It was anarchy. Now law, and chaos were set free upon the realms.

It was your fault but it had to be done. You had no choice.

The alternative was worse.

"How can I trust you knowing what I do?" You shake your head, and begin to wonder which choice was the right one. You could go back to the husk of what remained of your body, or live in this new one with another face.

"If you do go back to that corpse? I can still aid you but it will be up to you to remember. You would take a chance, and in that time there is no way of knowing how you could be used before you remember again." Alnaar sounds exasperated. It had imagined that you might hesitate.

You had no reason to trust it.

"What will it be, my brother? My master?"

[] You will choose to stay, and find another way back to Nosgoth with the face you wear now.
    [] You will choose to wake from your dream, and hope that you might remember in time to strike back against the parasite.

11. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

[x] You will choose to stay, and find another way back to Nosgoth with the face you wear now.

12. trexalfa Well-Known Member

[X] You will choose to stay, and find another way back to Nosgoth with the face you wear now.

13. Elric of Melniboné White Wolf

You close your eyes, and try to quiet the noises in your mind. The images flashing past your eyes. The lives you lived, and the deaths you have endured.

"I have no reason to trust you but I know enough. If I go back I would become nothing more than a puppet."

It is better to stand by the enemy you do know. Then to throw yourself at the mercy of one you don't.

"Good." Alnaar seems pleased, and perhaps more than a bit excited for what is to come. "Now come hither, and take your right hand."

You make your way into the oasis, and find yourself knee deep in water before you reach the rock that Alnaar found itself embedded in. You climb atop it, and find yourself hesitating once more.

"Do not take me for a fool. If you betray me? You will suffer for it. Do not forget that." You reach for the handle, and grab hold of it.

"I would expect nothing less from you." Alnaar answers back, and the runes across the black sword begin to glow with an eerie light. "Now set me free!"

You pull as hard as you can, and the rock breaks. The black sword is yours again but for how long you wonder?

You grasp Alnaar, and look at your reflection in it. It would take a while to get used to this.

You were not a vampire anymore. You were a man once again.

You could already feel the pangs of a hunger you had forgotten. You grab your stomach.

It would take a while to get used to it.

"Now let me show you the way!" Alnaar roars as as the red ruby within the black blade glows brightly, and shoots a red light into the oasis. A rupture in time and space lays before you, and you see the moonbeam roads.

After so long they were still as beautiful as ever.

You find yourself assaulted by more memories of another life you once lived. When you walked these moonbeam roads to save the balance.

That seems so long ago but you know the truth. It was happening even as you remember it. You walk in the shoes of another, and you bear the blood of your own people on your hands. Just as Kain now does.

It makes you sick when you realize how much the both of you are the same.

Perhaps this was why chance saw fit to bring the both of you together.

It could not be fate. That was now dead by your sacrifice.

Just as so many others were. You fed your hungry gods the souls of your enemies. You became the bane of law, and chaos. You are the eternal champion.

It will always be, and free of your fate you may now be it does not change who you are.

Nor does that mean you can relinquish your might. It stays with you just as your sins do.

Just as tanelorn does, and now it waits for you to return home.

You let yourself fall into the oasis, and become carried away by the turbulent tides within.

You could not navigate these roads as you were. So, you would have to wander aimlessly until you found your home.

Your Nosgoth.

You had all the time in the world. After all, those who travel these moonbeam roads are not constrained by such things. They are beyond them. It was simply a matter of trial and error.

[] It seems to be decades before you find another world, and it is much like your Nosgoth. You find it in turmoil, and in crisis. A ring of power was lost, and now it was found. The dark lord who crafted it now seeks to have it once more, and rule over the land. He sends his forces to retrieve it. Do you stand by, and do nothing? You are reminded of who you once were. No, that wouldn't be like you at all.
    [] In a world nothing like your own, people have reached the stars, and now travel between them in machines. The galaxy is vast, and large. In this realm you see warrior priests, and they wield swords of fire. Something is wrong. There is another force behind the scenes, and it wishes for something. It is strangely familiar. Ah, a desire for revenge. You knew the feeling. It gives way to curiosity. Just what was going on?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  14. John Wayne Well-Known Member

[X] In a world nothing like your own, people have reached the stars, and now travel between them in machines. The galaxy is vast, and large. In this realm you see warrior priests, and they wield swords of fire. Something is wrong. There is another force behind the scenes, and it wishes for something. It is strangely familiar. Ah, a desire for revenge. You knew the feeling. It gives way to curiosity. Just what was going on?

15. trexalfa Well-Known Member

[X] In a world nothing like your own, people have reached the stars, and now travel between them in machines. The galaxy is vast, and large. In this realm you see warrior priests, and they wield swords of fire. Something is wrong. There is another force behind the scenes, and it wishes for something. It is strangely familiar. Ah, a desire for revenge. You knew the feeling. It gives way to curiosity. Just what was going on?

16. Crimson Dragoon Red Eyes

much tougher than the last one, but ultimately, I know where my loyalty lies

17. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

[x] In a world nothing like your own, people have reached the stars, and now travel between them in machines. The galaxy is vast, and large. In this realm you see warrior priests, and they wield swords of fire. Something is wrong. There is another force behind the scenes, and it wishes for something. It is strangely familiar. Ah, a desire for revenge. You knew the feeling. It gives way to curiosity. Just what was going on?

18. Elric of Melniboné White Wolf

It was another desert.

"You're nothing if not consistent." Alnaar chuckles. "As far I can tell this isn't the right world. Not unless Nosgoth suddenly became a desert whilst you were away."

"Don't even entertain that notion." You realize Alnaar's jest might very well be true. Yes, with your track record misfortune like that would be expected. There was something left there for you. Your clan. You had to get back to them. A human you may now be but they were still your family. Your children who you brought into the fold.

It was with that when you heard the grumble of a vicious beast. You unsheathe Alnaar, and prepare to strike--

"You know that's your stomach, right?"

Your eyes narrow as you look down at Alnaar.

"Yes." You have the decency to at least sound embarrassed. "Yes, of course it is! It is my stomach growling."

You say those last words quickly, and try to change the topic.

"You don't suppose that is a tavern over there?"

"Your guess would be as good as mine."

They were strange imps waddling about as if they owned the place. Houses built out of clay, and other strange vehicles driving through the village.

Well, if it was a village. You were not sure. You have never seen carriages that could fly before, and definitely not under their own power. There were no horses in sight. Just strange creatures speaking in tongues you could not understand.

"I can help with that." Alnaar decides to speak up. "You see, some perks that come with speaking directly into someone's mind is that I quickly learn their languages. I can share that gift with you. Just talk to them like you would normally. I will take care of the rest."

You sigh in relief. "I would appreciate that."

It was strange being out in the sun now that you realized it. When you were a fledgling vampire you would burst into flames, and even as you grew more divine with age it was nauseating being in the sun for a long time. Now the sunlight simply felt warm against your skin.

You could even swim if you wanted to. It would not burn you like acid anymore.

So many things you could experience again now that you were free of the curse that Kain had placed upon you centuries ago. Despite everything you couldn't help but smile. You had never experienced these things before, or rather you could not remember what it was like.

You could make new memories now. It was with that you stepped into one building in this strange village. The noises inside were strange, and nothing like you have ever heard before.

"Ahahahaha, this is no tavern! It is a cantina!" Alnaar sounds jubilant. "I wonder if they have a mariachi band?"

"A what?"

"Don't you worry about it, partner. You will find out in due time."

You shake your head, and shrug your shoulders. You take a seat next to a strange blue-skinned woman with tentacles on her head where her hair should be.

"Bartender, yes you! I want a drink, and a meal. Just get me the best that you have." You say the words as your mouth begins to salivate. What would it taste like?

You haven't had liquor, and food in... well, you don't even remember. You have Kain to thank for that.

When he turned you, and your brothers you were already dead. There were no memories of your life before that. Just blackness. A life in the dark was all that you knew.

Now you would understand what it meant to truly live.

It doesn't even take five minutes before a glass of something strong, and a plate full of meat found itself in front of you. You didn't ask what they were you almost seemed to attack them. The meat was succulent, and juicy. Cooked medium rare. The drink burned like fire down your throat. By the time you were done you let yourself lean back, and sigh.

It was perfect.

This is what Kain had stolen from you, and so many others. A simple meal, and drink.

What else had been stolen from you, you wonder?

"You have never known the touch of a woman, have you?" Alnaar sounds mischievous as he speaks. "You should buy yourself one for some fun. That lady next to you seems open to the idea--"

It was with a crash, and a bang that they entered the cantina.

A beast covered in fur from head to toe, and a human whose gait suggested he spent a lot of his time running from people who wanted his head on a platter.

The cantina goes silent for a few moments before the music starts playing again.

"Something bothering you?" Alnaar whispers into your ear.

"I can smell blood on that man." It seems some things never change. You might not be a vampire anymore but your senses were as sharp as ever.

"That so? You want to go talk to him don't you."

Alnaar reads your mind, and not for the first time you wonder how much the black sword knew about you.

"I thought you wanted to get back as soon as possible. No time for detours, Raziel--"

You ignore your right hand, and make way towards the two men who had entered the cantina.

You boldly take a seat next to the man-beast, and across from the human.

"You are a smuggler, aren't you?" You could tell, right away. This man was a criminal.

"Now who told you that?" The human ignores you as he eyes his drink, and takes another sip.

"No one but I know a thief, and a coward when I see one." You smirk, and notice the man twitch towards something on his belt. A weapon, perhaps?

"Oh, did you plan to use this?" That is if he managed to have actually grabbed it before you did.

"How did you--"

"I am faster than I look." You lean forward. "You look like someone who knows a lot about this place. I will give your weapon back provided you answer a few questions."

The man frowns but he nods his head. "Ask away."

"What is your name?"

"Han Solo, and don't you forget it."

A strange name, and nothing like what you hear in Nosgoth.

"Who is your king?"

"I don't got one."

You frown.

"Who is your ruler then?"

"If you mean who is running things? That would be the galactic empire. Those storm-troopers? Those people in white armor, and looking like they are about to shoot you? Yeah, that would be them."

Well, that was not something you were expecting. The galactic empire?

"Do you mean to say they have a stranglehold over more than just this planet?"

The man looks at you strangely. As if you just spouted another head.

"Why wouldn't I mean that?" His eyes narrow. "Where are you from exactly?"

You don't meet his eyes, and try to think of a cover story.

"I am not from this galaxy." It was the best one you could up with, and not exactly untrue. "I am from another galaxy that is far, far away from this one."

It was easier to swallow then something along the lines of "Hey, friend. I am from another universe. What is your name?"

"You are not a very good liar." Han Solo snorts as he picks up his drink, and finishes it. "Well, whoever you are can I have my blaster back?"

"Yes, you may have it back." You hand the man his firearm? Then move to leave the table. "Thank you for your time."

"Hey, you ever need something smuggled give me a call will you? I need the work."

You smile back at the human. No, you really should stop that.

You were human now too.

"Certainly." You lie through your teeth.

On your way out of the cantina you bump into a robed man, and you hit him hard enough that he falls down. Now with his hood disheveled. You see his face. He was an old man, and his hair was grayer than your own.

[] You help the old man back up, and get him back on his feet. After all, at his age he would need it.
    [] It is the old man's fault for bumping into you in the first place. Call him a nerf hearder, and then run away before someone realizes you didn't pay for your meal. Dine, and dash.
    [] While the old man is distracted rob him blind, and take whatever you can find on him to pay for your meal.
    [] Convince the old man that it is in his best interests that he apologizes to you for scuffing your shoes by paying for your meal.

19. Crimson Dragoon Red Eyes

[X] It is the old man's fault for bumping into you in the first place. Call him a nerf hearder, and then run away before someone realizes you didn't pay for your meal. Dine, and dash.

time for shenanigans

20. John Wayne Well-Known Member

[X] While the old man is distracted rob him blind, and take whatever you can find on him to pay for your meal.

We need resources, and this man is a prime first target. :maybe

21. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

[x] You help the old man back up, and get him back on his feet. After all, at his age he would need it.

22. Elric of Melniboné White Wolf

Why not all three? Pretend to help him, actually rob him in the meantime and then run off and call him a scruffy nerfherder. :maybe

24. trexalfa Well-Known Member

[x] You help the old man back up, and get him back on his feet. After all, at his age he would need it.

Let's start easy :tupac

25. TTGL Infinity Big Bang Stormer

[X] Convince the old man that it is in his best interests that he apologizes to you for scuffing your shoes by paying for your meal.

26. Elric of Melniboné White Wolf

He seemed exhausted.

You could see it in his eyes. He had been through countless battles.

More so than any other in your clan. Just who was he?

"I apologize for bumping into you like that. I didn't see you on my way out." You dust his robes with your hands, and drag him back up to his feet. You do it so quickly that he looks shocked.

"You're the energetic sort, aren't you?" He looks bemused more than anything else.

"You could say that." You try to bury the images of other men like him who you killed, and drained dry for blood. It comes with a swathe of guilt.

No more.

You were free now.

"It is strange most people your age wouldn't feel so much shame over something as benign as this..." You can already hear the curiosity in his voice.

"I am not as young as I look." Your eyes shift away from his. You could not meet them knowing what you have done.

It brings back memories. How many lives had you taken to preserve your own? Yet, you claimed to be a man of integrity. It wasn't just as Raziel.

Whatever name you used, or face you wore your hands were dyed red with blood. Your sins crawl on your back, and hound you.

Does it ever end?

"Maybe it will one day." It is surprising to hear someone else speak as they just heard your thoughts. It was not Alnaar this time.

"What did you just say?" You question the older man.

"I said that perhaps the life you live now does not have to be dictated by your past." The old man grabs you by the arm, and brings you over to a table.

"Who are you exactly?" Your eyes narrow, and you give the man another look. He looks normal enough but there was something strange about the air around him.

"Ben." He answers you. "That is what my friends call me."

You laugh, and it is hollow.

"Well, Ben. If you knew me you would know that it is not that simple."

"Oh, really?" He eases into his chair. "You think your story is an exception?" He wears a knowing smirk as if he has seen your kind before.

You raise a brow at this man's boldness.

"Just like that? I should let go of my past, and start anew?" You sound indignant. Almost annoyed. "I should let Kain do as he pleases, and continue on as he is now?"

"I didn't say that but your hate will only impede you on your journey. It will not make things easier."

"My hate is what has been allowing me to go as far as I have until now! It is what kept me sane when I was cast into the abyss! It is what kept me strong when the skin was peeling from my muscles, and my eyes were melting in their sockets! It was there for me when no one else was! Do not speak to me as if it is no friend of mine. I would not be here if not for it." You rebuke this strange, and foolish man. What does he know of your plight?

"You do not even see it, do you? How it eats at you already. How it threatens to poison everything you touch. This person you seek would just be the beginning. It would not end with his life. It would starve, and go hungry. It would seek another." Ben shakes his head, and looks at you as if he has seen a ghost. In you he sees a young boy he raised so long ago. "I know what I speak of. I have seen it before."

"Is that so? Then you already know what my answer will be." You snort as you wear a truly frightening visage. What respect you showed the man was gone, and now it was replaced with bitterness.

"I am afraid I do, and that is why I ask something else of you." He slides a strange cylinder towards you, and across the table. You catch it in your hand.

The metal felt cool to your touch but you knew immediately that this was a weapon.

"I was a Jedi once." Ben almost looks like what you imagine a father would be like when scolding his son. It was strange to have someone younger than you look at you like that. "I am one no longer but I have not forgotten my lessons."

"What is a Jedi, exactly?" Now your mind was alight with curiosity, and questions. "I would assume it means you were a warrior?"

"Oh, I was a lot more than just a warrior. I was a priest. You could say we were religious, and we believe in something. We call it the force. It was what we believe binds everything together. It is a sort of energy field, and we can exploit it. In many different ways." Ben smiles as he explains it to you. He seemed to be remembering something from his past as he did. "I can feel it around you, and it is horrifying to behold. I haven't meant someone like you before. It is like I am hearing the minds, and hearts of countless mad men desperately grasping for something resembling sanity. I haven't met someone with internal turmoil as grand as yours. I am not sure where you begin, and they end."

"You shouldn't do that. You will find things in there that will scar you in more ways than I can." The threat was clearly there. You would not tolerate him looking into your mind again.

"I apologize. It is just that you are so loud." He raises his hand. "It is hard not to listen to you."

"He is not wrong, my brother." Alnaar finally speaks up after being silent for so long. "It is noisy up there."

"That's another question I have been meaning to ask." Ben frowns. "That black sword is dangerous. It is like a black hole in the force."

You are not surprised that he could hear Alnaar. If anything you expected it.

"It was forged of chaos." You wear a mysterious smile as you say that.

"Chaos, you say? What exactly was the purpose behind that?" Ben obviously has no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you should humor him?

"Why to conquer chaos of course. Imagine if you would that reality is like a tree. On that tree there are branches, and on those branches you would see twigs. A twig is a world like this one. Just a part of a larger whole. In this tree there are two opposing forces. There is law, and order. Chaos, and anarchy." You wear something akin to amusement on your face. As you reveal the truth to him.

"You mean a light-side, and a dark-side. Good, and evil?"

"No, not at all. I mean law, and chaos." You chuckle. Oh, the world was not that simple. You wish it were. However, life is not that kind. "Regulation, and freedom. That is what they represent. You see law is control. It is the rules that which govern our society. Whether they make sense, or not. Whether these rules help people, or hurt them. It is the perpetuation of repetition." You smirk, and then tilt your head to the side. "Chaos on the other hand is the exact opposite. It is freedom in every sense of the word. It is to take what you want, when you want it, for whatever reason, whether what you want hurts or helps people. Whether it means breaking the rules, and fighting an established system. It is random, and unpredictable. It hurts just as much as it helps."

"They both sound horrible." Ben looks aghast. He could hardly comprehend something so... vaguely defined.

"They both are, and you have no idea how bad they can be." You laugh, and then you lose your mirth. "They have helped me as much as they have taken away from me. I both hate, and love them in equal measure." You were not just Raziel, anymore. You had so many other lifetimes behind you now.

"..." Ben goes silent at that. He could not sense any dishonesty in you. You were speaking the truth. If that was the case? "Then you need my help."

It was your turn to be surprised again.

"What help could you give me?"

"I can teach you what I know, and maybe then the path you walk will not be as hard."

You are at a loss for words. No one had ever offered you help before without asking for something in return. "What do you get out of this?"

"A second chance." Ben doesn't specify as to what he means, or to who he is referring to.

It annoys you immensely. You had a feeling the cryptic was in your future.

"I..."

[] You accept Ben's invitation, and begin to learn what he has to teach you about the Jedi.
    [] You decline Ben's invitation, and decide you do not have time to spend here any longer than you should.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  27. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

Lets humor him, he seems to know something that others here don't.
    [x] You accept Ben's invitation, and begin to learn what he has to teach you about the Jedi.

28. John Wayne Well-Known Member

No this old man should go back to his cave, besides some stones are better left unturned.

[X] You decline Ben's invitation, and decide you do not have time to spend here any longer than you should.

29. Crimson Dragoon Red Eyes

[X] You accept Ben's invitation, and begin to learn what he has to teach you about the Jedi.

let's see where this takes us

30. trexalfa Well-Known Member

[X] You accept Ben's invitation, and begin to learn what he has to teach you about the Jedi.