1. The first My Hero Academia Banner Contest is here! We are pleased to invite you to participate.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest,

The Konoha Country Club is hosting its first Poetry Competition!
    The theme of the competition is "What does friendship mean to you?"

If you are interested in entering, please click here.

-- NarutoForums Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details and PM your vote.

Dismiss Notice

A "Zebra"

Discussion in 'Naruto Theories' started by RupertGriffin, May 28, 2007.

1. RupertGriffin Member

I was watching Scrubs just recently, and I noticed the best analogy ever.

A "zebra", in doctor terminology, is a very stupid and random diagnosis when the patient really has a very simple and common disease, but with uncommon symptoms. The idea is, if you hear hoofbeats, you're supposed to think "horse," not "zebra".

Most theories here are Zebras. People take totally normal bits and pieces out of the manga with totally simple explanations, and make totally random and stupid theories out of them.

For example: Tobi and Yamato both wear masks, both have black spiky hair, and one time, they both got tired together. Therefore, they must be the same person!

(well, couldn't it be possible that Yamato is an ANBU, tobi is a freak, black spiky hair is the most common type in the manga, and being a ninja is tiring?)

get it?

Last edited: May 31, 2007
    Tags:
  2. Kusogitsune Banned

3. RupertGriffin Member

Uh... Wasn't my theory sorta that everybody else is over-analyzing things?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  4. ~ Son of SPARDA ~ Active Member

Well, I'm sorry everyone here is not capable of being the "genius" you have made yourself out to be (without merit); however, the theories here are simply that... THEORIES, and because they are they're not obligated to make total sense or reflect 100% accuracy, although we mostly prefer that they do... if they did, chances are they wouldn't be theories but facts. Sure, there are alternate possibilities and explanations for a lot of the theories here that may indeed be more sensible but just because the theories don't include them all doesn't make them any less of what they are, proposed explanations or hypotheses designed to account for any phenomenon (according to Webster's Dictionary), and in this particular forum of NarutoFan that's ALL they're required to be... not masterfully-crafted constructs of intellectual magnificence.

By the way, that little comment you made about me being an "idiot" on my Tobi = Obito thread was real cute; needless to say, I countered with a pretty intelligent response that made your original comment null and void, thus, your attempt to make me look bad failed, miserably. If you can't get your point across without resorting to bashing or sinking to the name-calling tactical level of an elementary school child YOUR intelligence must not be up to par; ergo, you meet the criteria of the very thing you accused me of being... an idiot.

5. RupertGriffin Member

But they do require some degree of accuracy.

So, if you were to say that I can only feel the pulse on the left because my heart is only there on the left, you'd be wrong, because the heart is in the middle, but the left side is somewhat larger and stronger. Still, you need all of it - including the right side - to live, at all. =)

A question. How does it feel for a 21 year old to be schooled in human anatomy and physiology by a kid with nothing more than a high-school bio class on his repertoire? Not AP bio, regular bio.

So sorry. I hope you aren't a biology major.

6. ~ Son of SPARDA ~ Active Member

Yeah, I would be... too bad that's not what I said. You need to go back and read the part where I said that most of the heart lays on the left side of the body even though a part of it is indeed in the middle. Nice attempt at twisting my words around, but I'm afraid you'll have to come better than that.

Well, according to the argument you are so desperately trying to make, the human heart is located "smack dab in the middle" of the body... so if we were to take this as truth, which it's really not, then ALL of the heart, including its right side, would be located strictly in the middle of the body and not on the right side of the body; thus, allowing the right side of the body to sustain massive damage without the heart itself being harmed. Once again, nice try.

Based on the relatively weak points you just presented you didn't school anyone, which leads me to believe you need to remain there (if you're currently even there at all) instead of trying to figuratively take someone there on the course of your logic that is on such a base level it's ridiculously easy to refute and disprove.

Actually, no, I'm not... I'm an English major.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  7. Astaroth ど~~ん!

Alas, RupertGriffin does have a point. But overanalyzing to the point of being stupid is a part of life, and can be fun sometimes.

"Aha! Paper beats rock. But wait.... scissors beats paper! And...*gasp*! rock beats scissors! Logically, that means rock can beat paper! Oh my, we have a conundrum."

8. Yakushi Kabuto Socks Activate! Shape of a

Ah, I remember that quote. But really, theories are meant to tie things together, that's what this section is for, people are allowed to make wildly outrageous links because there's still the off-chance that it could be true and really, reading something original is quite entertaining.

9. Denizen Water Bear

10. Techno_Jutsu Carrying a sharp stick

Well, this thread isn't really a theory, it's more of an observation. It's quite correct of you ask me. There's a lot of crazy connections being made where there are none. Try and look back at what's happened in the manga. Naruto's got a good plot: it's layered, but not complicated.

There's a lot of complicated theories here.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have theories, or that theories are pointless, or theories ate my baby or anything, just that people should try and simplify stuff. I mean, the manga is 18 pages and comes out once a week, it's not gonna explain every little tidbit about every character. It's pretty streamlined.

11. Yakuza Banned

I think people take some of this theories too seriously...
    Zebra, Horse or Duck, theories are made to keep people interested in the manga, thinking of possible outcomes of the upcoming chapters... it is what make the manga such a good experience....

When for example, chap 100 comes out, in the last page there is a shadow of a person....
    We spend the whole week trying to figure out who is it, we use pictures, other chapters, some facts trying to come up with a answer...

Everybody does that!!
    Fantasying isn't bad!!! it's good....
    This theory is Ducks!

BW, good read! :wink

12. Astaroth ど~~ん!

I have to know, what anime is that in your avater? Looks like a Gainax piece, and I can't ingore those.

Back on topic, I've noticed a lot of people post long, drawn-out theories that analyze a certain topic to death. I'm not saying people like Ordycitizen do wrong; I think it's great, but today's society craves succinctness. The average attention span is shorter. So those who post long theories should also post summaries.

13. Allen89 Taichou

Haha. The irony of it is that you are actually the one doing all the over-analyzing. You think we don't know all those obvious things? The reason we come here is to invent awesome theories for enjoyment. I'm sure 90% are completely whack, but we enjoy them anyways, and reward the thread starters for their good if not great efforts.

14. check0r Member

That's scrubs. That even makes less sense Naruto.
    But I think I saw the same epidose are happen to be german?

15. Kuroro Skill Hunter

You should speak to Turrin. He is a supporter of Yamato = Tobi. As for what you say about Tobi's mask, a small suggestion I would like to make deals with the fact that it has swirls on it, a trait which is associated with Konoha.

16. ~ Son of SPARDA ~ Active Member

Gee, uh... thanks for sharing that uh, vital (???) piece of info with us.... :oh

17. Sagamore Kagekage

18. SENTINEL i'm the loin<B>!</B>

It has so many stripes also.

19. Jashin-sama I AM YOUR GOD

As long as Kishi continues making the manga there will always be collections of increasingly weird theories , that's how it is , even though that lazy bum probably doesn't put half as much thought into the manga as we put into theories

20. RupertGriffin Member

My point was... It's not way over on the left, it goes through the middle, and some of it is on the right. Tobi's right side was crushed. But, eh, it wasn't his whole right side. Only most of it... which, by my standards, would still make him 100% dead. But w/e.

Sorry, then, I guess.

And for those of you calling this a theory... It isn't a theory, but it's a topic about theories, and therefore belongs in the forum about theories.

21. breakbeat oratory bamboleo.

For those of you calling this thread an 'over-anylization', you need to realize that it really isn't.

It's actually quite simple. People get excited over the manga and take their thoughts farther than necessary.
    Rupert makes an extremely valid point, no matter how obvious it is.

22. Kaiwai GB's Angel

I hope you're not including my theory in that. :wtf

Anyways I agree with you, some people over analyze too much. >.<

23. ordycitizen Impure world resurectedly

:cool DeepThought's comment towards my Naruto's Temporary Death Theory.

Yes, young master, ordycitizen is the master of over analyzing.:cool :thumbs :asuma

Itachi's subordinate and The AL are my next target. Lol