1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Come join the KCC Haiku Contest -- Summer!
    Entries due by August 17th at 2:30 PM UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice

About Gaara...

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Purgatory, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Purgatory

I just went back on reading since youtube has the manga chapters of Naruto, and I can remember that since he had the Shukaku inside of him that the sand would act as an auto-defense (ex. when he tried to cut his wrist as a child). I never really wondered about it, but, once Akatsuki extracted the bijuu from him, he wasn't as powerful as he was. Now, my question is, would he lose the auto-defense mechanism of the sand because he lost Shukaku?

Tags:
  2. Aquila

Nobody really knows, since he has yet to even reappear as of right now. I'd sure like to find out, though.

3. Thandurin

Yes, he would technically lose his auto defense since he no longer has Shukaku to do it for him.And i'm going to guess that it requires more chakra for him to retain the ability to manipulate sand on his own.

4. Killer Goats

The sand defense was controlled by Shukaku since Gaara didn't. If it's removed he might be able to use the defense, but he will have to do it himself.

5. Purgatory

So that also means without Shukaku, it'll take even more chakra for him to do the Armor of Sand and the sand techniques as well?

6. Snakety69

And I don't think we're gonna know until Kishi brings Gaara back into the story.

7. Vox

I dont think it will take more chakra to manipulate the sand but Gaaras chakra pool will be limitted due to the lost of Shukaku. As for the automatic defence, I doubt he will have that ability, as it is (presummably) a trait of the Shukaku.

8. Zer0_UchiHa

^^ presumably is the corect word here, its only presumed that gaaras auto defence was from shukaku. i still think it is from his mom, but until we see gaara reappear we wont know for certain. even then if kishi wants to he can make gaara have byakugan, why not, i mean kakashi got MS and in the beginning of the naruto manga it was said that no one except for uchiha blood members could achieve that.

9. juUnior

I also think. thats its rather from mom, in some way with sand of Shukaku improvising. Like Harry Potter .. <lol> But about everything how Gaara will do with sand and so on itmust be shown by Kishi, for now its only spculation, but if Gaara will reappear, we will for sure be tell how he is with Shukaku.

10. Missing_Nin

i think he won't lose his auto defense just like he won't lose those eye-rings. wasn't the auto defense from his mom?

11. Fuyuu Hidarite

Probably. I think that, besides his automatic armour loss and his option to go Shukaku-mode, he is still able to control sand. But, he?ll probably have to change his fighting style: now, he?ll have to move a little more and faster, and try to expand his amount of chakra to correct his Shukaku supply loss.

12. Sypher

Heh, the whole "mother protecting him" thing is just something his uncle made up to comfort him. If you recall, he later reveals to Gaara that he was bullshitting him, and that his mother didn't love him, or the village.

Supposedly the Shukaku did control his sand shield, however that's not to say he can't do it on his own now that he doesn't have the Shukaku. For all we know Gaara actually might be more powerful WITHOUT the Shukaku.

If you recall Naruto had a harder time manipulating chakra because of the Kyuubi. Gaara may have experienced the same thing. So while his chakra pool may be significantly smaller than it was with the Shukaku, his level of techniques now that he is free of it may rise drastically; and if we've learned anything from Kakashi, it doesn't take a huge chakra pool to be completely badass.

We may never find out to be honest however. Gaara seems to have pretty much faded completely from the manga. He's had his time in the spotlight, and I'm not so sure if he'll make another reapperance. The only way I really see him coming back in is to kill Diedra himself. Eye for an eye type thing. Diedra killed him more or less, so he returns the favor. That's my ideal situation for a reapperance of Gaara anyways.

13. OROCHIMARU~SAMA

I think that he can still use the sand jutsus developed by himself over the years but it must consume more of his natural chakra since Shukaku power is no more and most likely that it's no longer on the same destructive level... I hope to see more development on Gaara soon...

I don't think Gaara can use the ultimate sand defense anymore...

14. Turnip Girl

He could tie a load of sand bags to himself to compensate?

15. The Fourth Hokage

the popular theory is no since many believe that to be the work of his mother. She cursed the village with Gaara's life and wanted him to avenge her. I personally don't know what I think.

16. Godeiche

Happens to me too, sometimes. I then proceed on running up and down the street where I live, wearing nothing but a hamster on my head, singing Celine Dion's Titanic song and spewing out coffee-powered wasps. But that's just me. smile-big
    You gots mental pictures, now, don't you?

Ooooon topic...

I, like many others apparently, have always thought that the auto-defense mechanism was given to Gaara by his mother, while the Shukaku shared his Chakra and the transformation thingy with him. The sand shield he used against Kimimaro's ultimate attack might be gone, though.

17. rorykage

i think that the automatic sand defense, or "ultimate" defense, was really only a compelling trait in an antagonist, the hero has to find a way around the defense to take down the behemoth that is (was?) Gaara. But Gaara is no longer an antagonistic character to the hero of this story. If Gaara makes a return (he does have a score to settle with Akatsuki, and i think he will want to aid Naruto any way he can), i think it will be more interesting to see Gaara rely solely on his own ability, and not rest on the crutch of ultimate defense. Furhtermore, Yamato has been telling Naruto that his true strength doesn't lye within his Bijuu, and Naruto and Gaara's lives have been very much echoes of eachother, so maybe the same is true for Gaara regarding his true inner strength.

18. jazon7777777

I know he'll become a little bit weaker, but I just hope Kishi doesn't suddenly make him into a POS ninja.

19. superflyninjaguy

heres wut i think... the auto sand protection was not from his mom thats wut his uncle dude told him to make gaara think he had pl who loved him. cuz as said by the guy it was his moms "love"... and his mom hated his psychotic ass. the auto sand was an ability of the shukaku so,yes, he will lose that, but all the sand jutsu he did was with his own chakra and abilities the control of sand was not the shukaku so he wont lose that. he might however lose some stamina and such but that will be determined when we see him fight again. he may have to compensate for the loss of defense and super quik attacks with gourd sand but hes a naturally talented shinobi aving been trained b sand elites since early childhood so i doubt he'll be considerably weaker and wont have him/others worrying bout him losing control and goin apeshit on village.

20. Butō Rengoob

he definitely loses his automatic defense.....more chakra is another matter that we can only guess on.

21. Production

I thought the auto defence was from his mother.

22. modfucker!

Who really cares. He has iron sand now. Probably Plasma sand, He won't be relying on shukaku which will mean he'll force himself to become way stronger

23. Akatsuki Leader Uzimaki

i gonna go with what he siad

24. dahwang

the reason why kakashi was the exception was because kishi meant this. the only clan to possess MS or sharingan is the uchiha clan. this means that the ability is kept within the bloodline (exclusive to relatives). thus, since only the uchiha clan can possess sharingon, they alone can achieve MS. kakashi is the exception is because he didnt obtain sharingan through normal means. he gained it through the surgical implantation donated by obito. this is why kakashi can possibly have MS without being an uchiha blood member.

though there are some discontinuities in naruto canon, kishi wont simply make or add things to his pleasure. any good writer values cohesion and consistency in his work.

25. Aerik

Uhmm I dont think his mother's will still exists, I think I read somewhere that when he talked to 'Mom/Kaza' he was talking to Shukaku. It's also very likely to be shukaku because he demended that Gaara would only get 'good' blood, otherwise he became angry at Gaara (by doing as if he was Gaara's mother..you all know how important bonds were for Gaara =))

Anyway the answer to the topic question: No, he won't have the auto-defence anymore. It's also a question if he can maintain to control the sand (cuz that is also an ability of Shukaku, but I think he still can control the sand because otherwise his character would be ruined)

26. Link

Gaara's automatic defense is gone. It's apparent that the Shukaku controlled it... to a degree. The complexity and timing of many of the attack forms of the sand also makes me believe gaara had some measure of control over the sand shaping ability.
    Now that the Shukaku has been withdrawn from Gaara, he will of course be weakened. The majority of his stratedgies relied heavily on the biju inside him.

One thing though- remember that Gaara's father could control metal sand, as was revealed by Sasoris puppet of him. Gaara's extended relationship with the Shukaku and the demons method of shaping sand, coupled with the natural ability of his family line, may allow him to learn to manipulate metal sand in a similar (if weaker) fashion to when he had the Biju.

27. Sisu

It wasn´t Gaara´s father who could use iron sand. It was the Sandaime Kazekage. Though it is interesting this with the iron sand. Maybe Gaara will learn how to use it.

28. Link

29. juUnior

If Gaara will appaeir, maybe i will change my opinion, but for now i think that he has auto defence sand. Not from mother who was loving him to protect, but from mother who cursed cillage and that Gaara could live that he is rembrant of her hateress. I dont want to spcelate with anybody on that, becuase we dont know for now that, but its my opinion. Thats all

30. Link

I went back to check. Apparently the puppet and gaaras father arent the same person. My bad.