1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Add Caption Contest and Trivia of the Week to Contest Central

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Demetrius, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Demetrius

TECHNICALLY, it is my section, so.

For trivia of the week I'd say give someone minimal powers to host and make a list of people interested in hosting and creating NF-centric trivia. Reward host with sparkles and a large ava for a week for their work.

Because these don't take a lot of effort to do, points should be lower but not too low, I don't want it to be completely low effort where everyone rides the lazy train for points and whores them from contests like these alone. But I DO want to appease the less artistic members of the forum.

I planned on stuff like this to even it out but my apathy got the best of me.

Side note: Why isn't GOTW separated into AOTW, SOTW, etc? More room for more contests. I didn't want X number of contests flooding the entire section, so this was the only thing I could think of while trying to downgrade the forum's front page aswell.

Tags:
  2. Natty

Flag:
    Canada

I like this idea.

To also maybe stretch it out further, maybe edited meme contest? We have had a couple threads like it in the alley and all the effort that's needed for them is done simple paint edits.

3. Demetrius

That'd be fine too, as long as it's not treated like complete garbage. (See: CB banner contest). Humor is fine, low effort for points is my main worry.

WW proposed a emote contest aswell.

Maybe puzzles, or NF themed word searches would be fine aswell. They'd have to be under one subsection with different prefixes like GOTW, though, and probably have some level of difficulty.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Majin Lu Super Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. White Wolf

I was running a before I got removed but it didn't get much in the way of suggestions, mainly a couple of the regs contributing.

I could run puzzle oriented stuff, but it's pretty difficult to gauge them, could do time-based completion but then each entry would have to be given in private 1 on 1 and timed from that point on... otherwise it's pretty improbable/unfair to people with different timezones.

6. Demetrius

fair, there's a lot of kinks to be worked out for it to be weekly or even monthly thing

7. Bontakun Moderator

Less art-centric contests are quite popular. Currently we have seasonal events which are more accessible, but a regular contest would be good too.

8. is a

Catdank Faction:
    art is shit contests are good its math chaching

9. Bontakun Moderator

Let's do math contests!

10. is a

Catdank Faction:
    @Arcuya

11. Arcuya

12. Nataly

Do you have some people in mind who would be up for the task? I remember Whitebeard made a cool trivia game in the Alley before the prune. That reminds me I am not sure if participants and winners got their points noted from that game or not.
    I do agree some small events need to take place, and not only in CC but in other sections also if possible.
    I see some tendency with this and some GFX professionals have brought it up in the discussion thread just recently. There has been a slow period with submissions, it seems to happen from time to time, and that is the time when some entries are not up for the quality task. But considering low amount of entries, they slide by and get points, which makes users think they can just enter with what they got or made close to the deadline and get points for that just like that. I'm not trying to talk badly about anyone, of course, we all have different visions and for some one avatar or signature can take a lot of work or effort to finish, while for others it can be pretty easy. I am for a healthy competition spirit.
    It used to be separated into categories, as I recall. Seen them in the archives, so it used to be a thing. That is a good idea, but do you think there will be enough users to participate in both? I thought the Graphics contest was made specifically to combine avatar and signature to meet user requirements and to see how it goes when it is together in one contest. But trying out separating them again won't hurt, will it?

I also think tags for PotW and GotW should be installed, I think you suggested that idea and were working on it. I would like to see them installed and used. I understand it might seem not very necessary since there are already sub-sections for photo and GFX, and it will all look the same with the tags. However, the system can be discussed furthermore and more tags can be added.

13. Demetrius

@Nataly
    Lemme clarify, I don't (didn't) want to separate them (unless the user base absolutely finds it necessary) to reduce clutter on the forum page even if it is clutter by itself. It was confusing at first but it looks like most got the hang of it by now.

I'd rather have GOTW as a whole rather than SOTW and SHOTW and AOTW or whatever separating them in the likely event that the contests themselves dip and go inactive six months from now and need to be archived. It's happened before where we had like, 8 or more subsections and half of them rotting away and nothing being done about it. So making GOTW makes that less likely.

If certain topics like signatures or graphics don't get enough attention or participation, they can just be done away with/the prefixes not used if it's at a down spiral/pattern. And if months later users are interested in bringing them back, it's easy to do so compared to unarchiving. (ACP takes a fuckload of time to process some things.)

14. ~M~

If I remember correctly, we used to have caption contests and it already died. Why re-add it? If the idea was apathetic to you, why would people care?

Trivia seems like a section specific contest. IE host literature trivia in the literature section. Otherwise, a weekly trivia could be held on random topics in the alley. Just seems... out of style for the contest section, which has always been image and not text driven. I mean, we don't have the flash-fiction contests in there either. So if we're including trivia, include flash-fiction in this section.