1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Africa's poverty Problem

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by meekozy, Dec 16, 2005.

1. meekozy RETARD

Most people in the poor countries of Africa can't think, they can't think that if they only have 1 or 2 kids and give them really high education can earn them more money than raising like 10 kids to work in farms. So when People from red cross send in the food, the Africans start reproducing, and that's when the aids problem comes in. Africans think this, "When I have aids, I know that I'm going to die so there's no use in condoms". I mean like come on! So why don't we just stop sending food to the countries that are raging with poverty and just let them starve?

Discuss

Tags:
  2. L.O. Member

no use in condoms when someone already has aids? what about pregnancy?
    by the way: quite a few people in africa even don't know they have aids. many of them don't know what a condom is, because in the poor regions there aren't any...

3. Feathers! Jiraiya

I hope you were joking. because meekozy was talking about funding.

4. Jonas Banned

I won't even reply to this thread. It's easy judging other's when one is on the other side of the world and can't really grasp the situation of the africans.

5. blacklusterseph004 ah, made you look ...

I am astonished. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

@meekozy: can I ask what prompted this thread, and what you've based your views on?

6. Sho Active Member

Wow. I'm just amazed at the utter stupidity of the original post. Yeah buddy, let's "starve them out". That'll solve everything! Good job with that brilliant reasoning. I hope you run for office sometime as we need people like you as our leaders.[/sarcasm]

Hopefully the original poster will soon be a candidate for a Darwin award for his brilliant ideas.

Anyways, L.O. is correct. It's not a matter of them saying "Fuck this, I'm gonna die anyways so it doesn't matter what I do", it's a matter of having the resources to educate about AIDs and resources to deal with it to make sure the disease is stopped and curbed. Because of lack of funding, many don't have the resources to deal with AIDs, nor don't have the general knowledge that we know about it and how it spreads. Many don't even have basic things such as condoms to deal with it. Funding would solve that and it would also prevent children born with AIDs as well.

7. Razgriez Banned

This may sound heartless and selfish but Africa's problem is not my problem.

Theres bastards running amuck around in Africa thats resulting donated money to be stolen and is going to the wrong hands. Frankly, I wont send anything over there because 95% of it will land in the hands of some rich fuck off thats going to use that money to fund the construction of another one of his manshions.

8. martryn Dick in hand

I like this guy's post. It rings true.

America needs to stop sending food to Africa. We really and truly need them to start dying down a bit. The more they die, the less there is to feed. The more they die, the less there is to reproduce. The more they die, the less chance of disease spreading (after we find an efficient system for removing carcasses).

Africa has some serious problems. We can't solve them, and by "helping" we might just be making it worse. And there are a lot of places where we try to help and they don't want us to. So why bother? Let them solve their own problems.

Oh, and the first post was pretty stupid, but it did have some truth to it.

9. TheDarkFirefly |MrTypo|

You clearly have no idea what the f*** you're talking about. Go dig yourself a grave and die already, because we surely don't need people liek you to be reproducing.

Razgriez: donated money (charity) doesn't end into the hands of the rich, government-2-government aid does. Sadly charidy aid only makes up about 1%. You're no better meekozy, hope you die from aids. kthx

o really, how so?

10. Razgriez Banned

If I send it to charity I still dont expect it to go to good use.

Really, the thing Africa needs the most is a militaristic influence. Only way I could see fixing that place up is if you carpet bomb the entire continent and then rebuild everything. Of course I feel most of the world needs to be carpet bombed and rebuilt from scratch.

We really need some huge global conflict that will wipe out at least 2/3 of the world's population and force us all to work together.

11. Yasha Procreate

Flag:
    Japan

You really think that they can send their children to college or something? They are already considered to be lucky if they don't die of starvation.

I doubt they will think it that way. They probably don't even know what is AIDS and how does it spread due to lack of education. By the way, not everyone of them has condoms. Africa is not United States. It is not like you can find a 7/11 everywhere to buy the condoms.

I agree with this one. The rate of birth is much higher that the rate of death and the world population keeps rocketing upwards. Natural resources on this planet are very limited and will be depleted sooner or later. If the world population can't reach an equilibrium, this day will come pretty soon.

12. Dimezanime88 Tha Blak Demen

I want to let this discussion on, without any negativity. I just hope you guys understand these concepts:

1. Not all of Africa is poor.
    2. Africa is a continent, not a country.
    3. Not everybody in Africa talks the same or does the same things [ex: sacrifices and rituals].
    4. There exist technology, transportation, and etc.
    5. Fully clothed people do live in Africa.
    6. There are natural light skin Africans, still living there, without any change, even with the hot sun.

One of the best examples would be Ghana, Nigeria, and the most known, South Africa.
    May I really say anymore?

13. TheDarkFirefly |MrTypo|

if anything, america needs to be "carpet bombed"

the world has more then enough resources to support everyone on the planet with a healthy diet.

14. Gunshin Chocoball Mukai!!111

I actually agree with something from the thread starter. We (USA) should stop sending Africa food. The French and English caused the mess, let them clean it if they want to. We should take care of our homeless before taking care of others.

15. Razgriez Banned

I sitll firmly believe that Africa needs to be carpet bombed. Well, the entire world does but thats where we get natural disasters and cosmic debree to come in and wipe ou a good portion of the world.

I support the next global threat for it will unite humanity for the greater good, because frankly humans dont learn until something horrible aweful happens to them.
    Yeah but most are poor.
    Yes.
    Yes. Africa is a bunch of countries and is a rather large continent with a wide variety of religions and cultures.
    Not a lot though.
    Not a lot though and really... being fully clothed in Africe will probably lead to heat exhaustion.
    Whats this have to do with anything?

16. ~Kaio-Cam~ Katon, Ryukken no Jutsu

There are organizations that help American's homeless.. There's no reason why we cant do both....

Saying "let them starve, is ignorant." I dont know much on why most countries in africa are like this, i'm sure u dont either since no one in thi thread has given me some facts and information on why. But my guess is that a lot of regions in Africa lack Resources and important things to make a country become... decent for living. AIDS has gotten out of hands, sending food and medicine is slowing down the spread of it. Why Stop doing it

-----

As for Condoms... i'm sure there are some africans spreading AIDS and HIV on purpose... (there are some in our country, america, europe...) without a doubt, there are some who do use condoms to prevent chances of spreading the disease. I really cant voice a powerful opinion on this issue, but saying we should let them starve and die out is ignorant, it wont solve anything, and it will make situations worse for the world. Forgot to mention that it's InHumane. U better hope u dont get Reincarnated and be borned in the worst city in Africa for saying such things. Do u believe in Karma?

17. Yasha Procreate

Flag:
    Japan

-_- Geez, you people only care about food? I was talking about natural resources like petroleum, not chicken or beef! The petroleum around the world will be exhausted within 45 years or less. It is 45 years, buddy! Not 4500 years. Petroleum depletion will happen in our generation! Can you imagine a world without petroleum? Before some idiots raise the issue of artificial petroleum or alternative resources, I want to make it clear first. If the petroleum can be easily replaced, why don't people use the alternative resources while the oil price is so high nowadays? In other words, petroleum is still irreplaceable so far. If scientists can't find a good replacement in the past hundred years, how likely will they find it in the next 45 years? Humans will face a great disaster in the near future, despite what the optimists say. I am not a pessimist, I just don't like to avoid the facts like most people do.

18. Razgriez Banned

Well hopefully scientists get thier butts in gear and start thinking of something.

19. Vatatzes run around headless

Despite the massive flaming i think the topic poster has a point. Africans goes to war with eachother kill eachother fall on hard times and demand foreign aid. Food and money make them reliant on the outside world. Education on aids and other such things is nearly non-existant. Many dont even know that it is transmitted by sex or blood. some believe you can cure aids by sleeping with as many people as you can. the lack of education is because of the massive foreign debt they have accured by borrowing so much because of their wars! its all pretty connected. I think forget about poverty start thinking about aids in Africa. thats what will destroy their economy 30% of the country needing expensive treatment which has no hope of being completely cured will drain african counties and its all because of ignorance. I gave up on Africa.

20. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

1. No not all AFRICANS go to war. And "Them" Wtf- Have you ever been to a big city in afirca... they do have those you know. And Omg All countries realie on the "outside world" if they didn't they would have to become nation states, horde all there own resources, and attack and evade other terriotries when thier resources begin to deplete.

Education on aids non existance.. Um more like it is irrelevant. If you have 30% of a population infected, how the hell is education going to instantly solved aids... it won't.. it really won't do much of anything. alot of africa is still rural... and those people not living in urban centers are not going to get that supposed education. Moreover, an action of mass vacinaction would completly wipe out a countries economical stability "even if it were remote" why the fudge would they give the vaccination. Problems need to be examined and dealt with slowly. However, getting rid of all the aids is not a feasble goal at the moment. Therefore should be ignored for the most part and made a second or third priority.

There massive debt is because of thier wars.... LOL their debt is because core countries do not want to allow thier economy to prospers and exploit thier raw materials and people. Thier debt is because, after decolonizalition thier economy was inferior to those that colonized them. And, they were already under the throal of being exploaited. Thus, with technologies not as advaced, borrowing money in order to eventually create new markets is necessary. However, core countries, do not want the african continent to submerge and thus are supressing and continuting to exploit Africa. Also, You do realize that the USA has the largest debt in the world, it is something in the hundred trillions.

Know why some of these wars break out... territory. The boundries set up were ill formed and after decolonilization, disorginazation and a race to ascension and domination manifested. People believe they are part of one nation, and have thier own unversialistic ideals to spread and thus feud because neither was given a stable territorial bound to begin with.

Godammit I was neg repping you and pos repped you instead.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  21. ez Jesus Christ

Technically speaking, letting the disease infested africans die out would help out the african economy and so forth, but it's not something I would do.

Not everyone in Africa is uneducated and stupid. I'm from africa(I was born in ethiopia and lived there till I was 11) and I went to school. Africa is behind and will always be behind the rest of the world because of the climate conditions. Contrary to popular belif, not every part of africa is filled with deserts and forests. When I was last in Ethiopia(7 and a half years ago) it was somewhat advanced. It had an infrastructure and a corrupt governement(we still have the corrupt government which has turned into a dictatorship) If Ethiopia(one of the least inhabitible places in africa, currently a warzone, 40 years of life expectancy) is doing well, my guess is that the rest of africa(except for somlia and other neighboring states) well. Next time you should try doing a little bit of research before running your mouth.

What makes you think educated Africans would immediatly work in farms? They do have companies and corporations in Africa.

22. Aman <font color='#0000A0'>Really?</font>

Well, at least the country i am from, Eritrea, doesn't have problems. Only like 1 out of 6 are poor there, and it will be gone in 10 years because all Eritreans from other countries are giving them money every month, and the people who live a good life in Eritrea often invite someone poor to live with their family as a sibling. AND they're not getting any money from organisations because they didn't change the president when they were supposed to, but they didn't care about the fact that the people loves their president.

And are you so stupid that you don't know why their are wars there? Unless you don't have any History education, you should know that the white leaders, after WW2 and after they took a lot from Africa, split the continent up without thinking about culture or religon or anything...

23. Lien small and mighty

Maybe if you had a bit of empathy, you'd know how they'd feel.
    There are plenty of African people I know (who only recently came over to the country) whose academic performance is infact to such a high standard that already they surpass everybody else as soon as they started school. These people came from different parts of Africa like Zimbabwe and Ghana, Nigeria etc - even though their countries have some of the most corrupt goverments.

I can probably presume that the majority who replied aggreeing with the first post, are not black themselves or if they are currently residing in a rich western country.

Africa, if using their resources properly, could've been one of the most richest countries in the world. Their diamond mines, and gold mines and other minerals etc. Also, they could've grown a whole lot of stuff like proper food if huge companies didn't take up most of their land to grow cashcrops like tobbacco and coffee.

I wouldn't be suprised that most of you guys who posted for the post are American. The arrogance is astounding. Though, to take into consideration, I am not generalising and not everybody from there is ^_^

24. blacklusterseph004 ah, made you look ...

That pretty much sums it up. But I guess if you people don't live here, and get nothing but negative press, I can't really blame you.

Currently, Africa is trying hard to solve our problems ourselves, particularly after the formation of the AU. Though you may struggle to believe it, some education standards in parts of Africa are better than in the USA. Students can complete high school with first year university level education (I should know, I've been competing with them.) Much of the problems that Africa faces are brought about by certain mindsets that stem from the underlying cultures and beliefs. These are probably beyond your understanding though.

Aids is indeed a scourge here, but we currently look to Uganda as an example of what an aggressive education campaign can achieve.

I would love to say more but this is probably enough for now...

25. Vatatzes run around headless

blacklusterseph brings up a good point. the AU is a great institution and if anyone can come together and save Africa it would probably be the AU. The AU does support democracy (not that its absolutely necessary for am economy), education on AIDS and it supports fair trade. Africa needs fair trade. The US and Europe need to bring down farm subsidies. Corporate welfare weakens africa's economy and our own.

26. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

Actually it's about a trillion...The entire world combined doesn't even have a GNP that comes even close to 100 trillion.

Anyway, it's true there are smart Africans, more developed parts of Africa, etc.. But overall it's by a significant amount, the most underdeveloped region of the world. According to the U.N. Human development index only 2 of the bottom 32 countries in standard of living ARE NOT African nations. This alone shows a problem. So why is Africa having such a problem with poverty, disease, hunger, and civil war? I think the following contribute:

-Exploitation
    With idea's such as greed and social Darwinism fueling them, almost all of Africa became enslaved to European control in the 1800's. The Europeans exploited them in every way possible and ravaged the continent. After WWII and the death of Colonialism, the Europeans bolted from Africa and the entire place was left in a rather mess with much of the natural resources sucked dry.

I'm not trying to demonize the Europeans here...Some could argue if their conquest of Africa was right but it's pretty much a fact they turned the place upside down.

Later in the Cold War, Africa became a battleground for America and the Soviet Union. The Soviets would put in a dictator the Americans didn't like, so the Americans would arm a resistance group which started a civil war. A new dictator would be put into place which the Soviets didn't like so they would do the same. This cycle repeated itself countless times. The fact that Africa was used by the superpowers and was in a constant state of instability didn't give them a moments peace to develop like other newly independent nations free from Imperialist control.

-Inability to establish peace
    African nations are infamous for one dictator being thrown out and another coming in on a regular basis. The fact that the continent is so poverty stricken only feeds fuel to the flame. Poverty and misery always give rise to dictatorships, this is historically proven. Rising dictators also gives birth to civil war. The constant cycle of coup, dictator, overthrow in Africa simply doesn't allow for a industrialized society to develope. Genocides such as in Rawanda and the one currently going on in Sudan are examples of this

-Lack of world attention
    With the exceptions of some nations like Ivory Coast, Nigeria, South Africa, and others...Most African nations recieve little if any press due to obscurity and lack of contribution to the world. Who here knows anything about Mauritania or Chad? As a result many are unaware or simply do not care about the plight of Africa. It is obvious that only nations with worth to the West are built up by the west. Arab nations with oil like Saudi Arabia, U.A.E., Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain have area's of extreme modernization, some that would even put northern Europe to shame. Malaysia and China's source of cheap labor combined with an amazingly hard working population has transformed it into an economic giant.

Though Western nations like to give words of sympathy to countries like Zimbabwe and Rawanda, the world really won't care about them until they discover massive oil reserves.

It should be mentioned that South Africa has high development in some area's. But overall the country simply isn't what the United Nations would consider to be "first world".

As to the comment that "some parts of Africa have better education then the U.S.". That is simply a load of BS. A college in South Africa can't overcome the horribly low literacy rates or conditions of schools in most African nations.

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be denying or playing down the problems of Africa...Once again I will repeat:

Of the bottom 32 nations of the United Nations Human Development Index, only 2 are non-African.

Africa is certainly the most underdeveloped region of the world...The point of this thread was not to deny this but to try to discuss why that is so and what to do about it.

Lastly, By all accounts, Africa is actually getting poorer. The AIDS problem certainly isn't helping either...Most of the foreign aid simply goes into the ruling dictators pockets and it will take more then some rock concerts and good wishes to solve the problems of Africa.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  27. Madara The Original Uchiha

If you know nothing about African history or history in general please be quiet or better yet go to a library. Read Noam Chomsky.

European and American governments are among the most abusive governments of all time. Don't be self-righteous.

I can forgive you once because you are fed a beautiful buffet of lies daily. Usually though...

When I meet ignorant men and they speak with the kind of amateurish authority you've demonstrated, I tend to break their faces.

28. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

This is true, from what I know of Africa it is the most resource rich continent in the world. As a result Africa has been relentlessy disrupted by outsiders looking to gain from there riches.

Africa has everything anyone wants in the world: diamonds, platinum, gold, many other precious stones and metals, uranium, oil, all the wildlife that can't be found anywhere anymore, and a large population of strong, able-bodied people.

If you are the type of person who believes Iraq and the middle east are fighting for control of oil, then you might also believe that Africa has been enduring that fight for it's resources for at least as long as people have wanted gold and diamonds, etc.

29. blacklusterseph004 ah, made you look ...

I'd just like to add to a few points that Megaharrison made:

Exploitation- the resources of Africa have been not been sucked dry. South Africa contributes massive amounts of uranium, platinum and gold to the world. Its not exploited here though because the SA mining industry is extremely strong. Nigeria contributes a significant amount of oil, which the American and British companies are already exploiting, so there's no need to go to war there.

Instability- such as that experienced in Ruwanda are due more to cultural differences than dictators, though they certainly do use it to their advantage. When the colonial powers left Africa, they divided it into countries that did not reflect the locations of various ethnic groups. As a result country borders are drawn and end up encompassing people who are mortal enemies.

I knew people would find this hard to believe. "How could parts of a backward place like Africa have better education than the US" right? Believe it. I'm obviously not saying that everything is great as far as education is concerned. Illiteracy is still quite high. You should be aware though that the percentage of Africans who do emerge from tertiary education particularly in SA are highly sought after abroad. You only need to look at the endorsement of SA university degrees by universities such as Cambridge and Oxford for proof of that.

30. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

I think you have a wrong image of afrikans. They don't look to get aids to die. There is a reason for the way they act. Their problem has nothing to do with education but how the world economy is. What afikans can do in terms of exports is agriculture but they don't have the technology nor the subsides like first world countires do. This makes them inefficent and makes their export weak since food doesn't have much values in world market now days, especially if you are looking for a trade with stuff like better techonlogies.

Speaking of which financial helpers like World Banks aren't help either. They force them to become exportable countries by forcing them to produce certain products (say cotton) that allow them to sell their exports rather then allow them to build a self-sustainalbe agricultres, which even though might not give them export abilities would have atleast ended their famine problems by alot. But World Bank is in it for the money not for helping to solve their poverty and thus these nations are left, to starve to death or make measily money from selling their cotton's to buy over expensive foods that they could have produced for much cheaper.

The other reason they are suffering is because their governments are courrupted, all the financial aids the nations recieve are usually pocket by the governement leaders who tend to be dictators rather then the fair and just (too some degree) politicians we have.

Their over population problem isn't really because of safe sex, but rather the belief that since they do not have enough food the best choice is to have the best possible heirs so they can survive, which is kind of a bad philosopy but guess what nature does it too for most spicies and well they follow what they see best fits them.

As far as education goes, guess what high education won't help them much since there is little or no high-educated jobs in those countries, they can't afford those types of jobs. If they can kids that can work on their fields it's good enough for them.

Which brings us to their final problem, climate. Most of the poorest nations are poor because of their climate, places like Mali are virtually all deserts with little or no rain per year. With that amount you really can't hope to grow much.