1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Voting is open in the KCC Haiku Contest!
    Entries can be found here.
    The poll closes on August 24th at 2:59pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice
  5. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest 6!
    Deadline for entries: September 08th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice

[AK] Keep it in Perspective

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by DeepThought, Oct 26, 2006.

1. DeepThought

What did you expect them to do? Collect all the Biiju and dominate the Poke-League?
    Of COURSE they are trying to take over the world. I'm suprised there's and actual political business plan involved. It's more ambition than certain other villains have shown *cough* Oro *cough*

The point is this, lots of people are dissapointed with the enigmatic build up of Akatsuki and it's predictable outcome. "We collect the Biiju and then rule the world" None of us expected and actual plan. "We collect the Biiju and then ... well... there's more to do before we can rule the world."

Monopoly of war... I'll buy it.

Tags:
  2. ansoncarter

I don't mind world domination, just thought kishi had something more clever in store

and maybe something more related to main parts of narutoverse...like tailed beast legend, or uchiha curse, or naruto's family history...that kinda stuff

3. bearzerger

Give me one example where Evil had ever any ambition but greed and domination. You can use books, manga, movies or even world history.

4. Naruko Supporting Staff

I like their plan, I think it's one of the smartest versions of world domination to come aboutin a while. Too many villains bent on conquest go solely through the military/power route, they don't look at sustainability. The AL has been very thorough in planning for the long term though. Building a base of operations, planning for the initial take over, but also to provide business and stability in the long run (for themselves), and de-stabalizing the competition. Their war won't just be an arms race, they're commiting economic warfare as well, it's actually really really smart. Maybe people find it boring because of the business aspect, but it's going to be effective.

5. ansoncarter

huh? not sure about 'greed', that word covers a lot of ground, but theres 10billion stories where world domination doesn't pop up

6. Windy

I kinda liked their plan - it's not as grand or amazing as people expected it to be, but it's logical and effective. And while the goal is somewhat cliched - take over the world - their methods are pretty interesting.

I think I would be more disappointed if their plan was to wake some kinda monster, gain ultimate power and take over the world by brute force - this way it's more logical, even though it's not as flashy.
    At any rate, their goals aren't THAT important to the story, since they're probably not the final villains. XP

7. DeepThought

AL:"Send me all your money and one all-powerful demon... and you too could get 1/10 ownership of the world!"

8. Alekzu

I totally agree. I didn't care about their goal really (what else but world domination could it be if you try to capture bijuus?). I wanted to have a diffrent HOW and WHY. Although we still don't really know why, we do know how. And it is diffrent: gaining power, not simply by war and brute force, but by using political and economical means. That's brilliant! (imo)

9. Woofie

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense...

...But it isn't exactly very exciting, is it? Bijuus have been causing wars for ages, so Akatsuki using them for this purpose isn't very exciting. Akatsuki creating an army out of [probably] boring, no-name ninjas just detracts from the 'badassness' of the organisation, all of whom are very strong and fairly interesting characters. And all this sneaking around and very gradually taking control... well, it isn't very dramatic and doesn't have much impact, does it? I mean, at what point in this plan are they actually going to be stopped by the good guys, anyway? It's so slow and gradual, and mostly 'behind the scenes', that it's hard to see where the climax will be.

10. Blind Squirrel

Comming out all at once right now and revealing Akatsuki's plan makes it all seem kind of... flat.

I just hope there's some twist to it that will be revealed later. After all, does this really seem like the kind of plan that makes sense given the statement "That coward Orochimaru ran away when he found out what we were up to"(paraphrasing) ?

11. DeepThought

It's very anti-climatic.

AL- "And Now I will reveal my sinister plan!"

Members- "... yeah... we know."

12. Ofkinheimer

It's people's fault for building AK up so much that they are dissappointed. IMO, Kishi kept the right balance of dropping hints of their power, but also making it clear that had weaknesses and that they weren't almighty.

Yes, one on one, Akatsuki members are likely to win matches against equally strong ninja but in war with many ninja fighting, they hardly would stand a chance. They are strong individually, but they need an army of mindless drones to fight the rift-raft while they focus on taking out the big targets in a war (top ninjas, elite jounins, hokage).

Even if you look at the matches so far, A few jounin from Konoha would weaken or cause harm to individual members of AK. Either that or their chakra would eventually run out after fighting elite jounin after jounin, etc. If you go by their own words, Kisame would have "unessecary" injuries just fighting Gai Sensei alone and even both him and Itachi would find Jaraiya extremely challenging if they both fought him at the same time.

In a war, Kakuza would not be standing around to hand Hidan back his head that was cut by a jounin and chuunin. Imagine having hundreds of defense ninja around all fighting.

No, AL is not stupid enough to think 9 strong people can take on the 5 big villages by themselves. His plan is cautious, intelligent and it is being played as any good chess or shogi player. Never take a move for granted, underestimate the enemy and ALWAYS think ahead in "steps".

I for one can appreciate the villian not being bloated with power and ego.

13. Dionysus

14. Coaxmetal

15. Fenix

lol you might wanna look up the definition of equal....

anywyas

I like AL's way of accomplishing things but, it does make you wonder when you have guys like Deidara and Saori, who cna take out large amounts of areas in single strikes....why make such SLOW plan

16. caius

Having members who can mass attack is a great thing to have when you plan to use war as a business. One of the worst things to happen is being outnumbered. Sasori had a veritable army at his fingertips, Deidara can carpet bomb. But just having those two doesn't mean you can take on the stronger armies. Just having 2 people who can deal with many opponents is only slightly better than having none when all you have is 9 members.

17. Naruko Supporting Staff

This is pretty much why its so evil. WOofie points out it seems so slow and quiet and behind the scenes as to be almost anticlimatic, but that's why it's working. No big noises, no big movements (for the most part, outside of collecting jinchuuriki that people give a damn about), just steadily doing their own thing until it's too late for anyone to put up a fight. It's going to be like some nasty disease that by the time the countries realize they're "sick", they'll be too weak to put up a resistance and will just have to succumb. I think thats why I like it...it's so subtle in it's evil.

At some point, something will happen that will serve as a wake up call and people will collectively go WTF is going on, HOW did things end up like this...but it'll be too late.

18. Seelas

I'm not even very well-read but I can come up with several examples just from video games where the antagonist was neither greedy nor intended to dominate.
    Spoiler:
    Wilhelm from Xenosaga, who saw the universe's inevitable demise and used utterly reprehensible means to cause eternal time recurrence in order to avoid the universe's deterioration. In short he intended to trap all of humanity in a synthesized pocket universe so that they wouldn't have to face the universe's destruction.

Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts II, simply wanted their souls back, and while they stirred up shit across multiple worlds in order to be able to do it.

Special Agent Kato from Shadow Hearts: Covenant, who, after seeing his lover die twice and the eruption of the first World War, became so disillusioned with the evilness of the world that he attempted to use a cursed, forbidden manuscript to rewrite the past 100 years of history.
    Anyways, I have three major beefs with their plan.

1) The feeling of being disenfranchised that the smaller shinobi countries are feeling really hasn't been played up enough prior to this. When the Akatsuki Leader mentioned them, it would have been so much more effective if we had a bunch of previous examples of this being the case, so that we could say "Oohhh, so that's why they mentioned that."

2) What an unspectacular use of the bijuu. Simply to start wars? Members of the Akatsuki have shown that they're perfectly capable of starting wars on their own. Orochimaru did it with the Sunagakure and Konoha. Sasori conquered an entire country single-handedly. And for that matter, if all they're using the bijuu for is to start wars, why do they need all nine of them? Wouldn't one or two suffice? Or at the very least, if they're afraid of other jinchuuriki being used against them, why did they bother to capture the sanbi, who was wild?

3) What do the other members of the Akatsuki have to gain from this? I can sort of see it for Itachi, who shows such unconcealed loathing for weak groups of people. But what about everyone else? Deidara has plenty of opportunities to blow things up without taking over the world. Likewise, Kakuzu has no reason not to jump ship once they're rolling in money. And Hidan? Was he seriously so stupid that all the AL had to say was "Come with us, you'll kill lots of people!" and he tagged along without even knowing what they were doing?

19. G-Man

Agreed on these last three points. But, as pointed out, the Leader mentioned they all had seperate goals, but the fufillment of the plan will allow all of them to somehow realize their goals. I doubt the Leader cares if Kakuzu jumps ship after the plan is over and done with.

20. rorykage

i don't see how anyone could expect any different from a criminal organization, given what we know about these characters, the ultimate revolves around either a) destruction or b) domination. given how powerful we know these characters are, it only makes sense that they have a grandiose scheme in terms of scale, meaning it only makes sense that they be after a global effect. again, destruction or domination. when you get down to these choices, which is better? in my opinion, domination because, like, when you destroy the world, where are you gonna live, and who are you gonna brag to?

besides, its become clear that the other memebers have their own idnividual goals and reasons for joining (if that wasn't obvious enough already), and i think that this chapter serves to hint that in the future, the individual schemes are gonna be more important and devestating than the group ambition. each memeber will have to be confronted, and each of their plans will be revealed, and each of their plans will be stopped. the fact the the groups goals have been revealed so early in the game is because that goal isn't as important to the story as the individual goals that have yet to be unveiled. and as i've stated in a few other threads, i think we're gonna see some betrayal/infighting within the group.

21. 7thHokage

I dont see what people expect from a group of villain who are collecting weapons of mass destruction. They sure as hell wasnt collecting the biju to create the UN of Narutoverse. Yes its typical, its predicatble and like some of you call it lame. Yet for some reason you cant stop posting about it or stop reading it.

I dont blame you nothing captivates people more than economics and world domination, it works every time.:amuse