1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Akatsuki and It's Purpose

Discussion in 'Naruto Theories' started by JayG, Dec 3, 2005.

1. JayG Konoha's Beautiful Green Beast

I was wondering if the word Akatsuki has any meaning. Upon doing some research and reading the thread "Meaning of Akatsuki" by Kona, as well as the replies on that thread, this is what I came up with.

We know that the phonetic translation of Akatsuki is "Red Moon". According to Nihongaeri however, it's true translation is probably closer to "new dawn" or "new beginning". He also mentioned a second sense, in which it could mean "a time when something eagerly anticipated becomes a reality".

Which one of these translations is correct? My guess is that all of them, in a way. Let me explain.

One of the themes in Naruto is continuity, or an endless cycle perhaps. His last name is Uzumaki, meaning spiral, something that keeps on going on going in circles. The Konoha symbol has a spiral in it, right before it goes to its pointed tip to form the shape of a leaf. Team 7 is a new "cycle" of the Legendary Sannin. Sakura is like Tsunade, Naruto is like Jiraiya, and Sasuke is Orochimaru. Naruto's main attack, the Rasengan, is created by forming spirals of chakra. Naruto and Sasuke's fight at the end of part 1 was referred to Kakashi as being "ironic" in relation to the battle that the two people represented by the statues in the Valley of the End. These are a few of the important "spirals" or "cycles" in the series.

Now, let's look at the second meaning of Akatsuki according to Nihongaeri. We know that they are collecting the bijuus. We know that this "creature' that appears when they extract a bijuu is chained. One of the theory is that once all 9 bijuus are collected, this creature will break out of its confinement, and become an unstoppable beast.

But why would Akatsuki want to unleash an unstoppable beast? Well, now it's time to look at the translation of "new dawn or new beginning". Going back to the theme of "spiral", a spiral is something that has one beginning, and no end. If we are to believe that Akatsuki wants to create "a new beginning", then the only way to accomplish that is by creating pure and complete destruction. By obliterating everything that currently exists, only then, can a new beginning occur. This certainly is a theme that we've seen in many stories, anime, games, movies, etc.

Finally, the Red Moon possible translation. From Kona's thread, it was stated that several major things that happenened in the series occured during a full moon (Kyuubi attack, Shukaku awaking, Itachi killing his clan). Scientifically, a red moon occurs during a total lunar eclipse. This phenomenon occurs when the full moon passes through the earth's shadow. The Akatsuki members, prior to being revealed, appeared as nothing more than mirages, or more specifically, shadows in a cave. There's also the belief that the red moon, in general, is a bad omen, as it symbolizes blood. Very few people also knew about Akatsuki, thus, you can say that they "worked in the shadows".

Therefore, you have an organization that "existed in the shadows of the earth", that is "waiting for the time eagerly anticipated" when "a new beginning" will become reality.

Tags:
  2. Raptor Vagabond

Good post. Kishi likes to use those things a lot.

3. Kahlua2606 ANBU

Kishi does add subtle double meanings and things like that, but he also doesn't make them major points in the plot development, since a lot of his audience wouldn't understand... they're more like added interesting things for his audience that understands the double meanings.

Good ideas, though, it sounds like you could be on to something.

4. geminis Active Member

5. Heldensheld Chunnin

Naruto's team is also similar to Kakashi's team.
    Girl likes the genious (Kin to Kakashi and Sakura to Sasuke)
    The dropout likes the girl (Naruto to Sakura and Obito to Kin)
    The genius is bigheaded and thinks the dropout is always in his way
    (Sasuke to Naruto and Kakashi to Obito).

However team Sannin were all equally strong and were able to assist each other in every way.

6. Yasha Procreate

Whatever the translations are, the word 晓 (Akatsuki) carries only one meaning, which is dawn -_-

And your post doesn't really tell us the purpose of Akatsuki. Why are they going to destroy everything?:huh

7. ItsMrJedi Active Member

When I heard for the first time about the Organisation (Akatsuki) it reminded me of freemasons, a "brotherhood" which try to take control of events in the society by taking over political, economical and military power. In this case, Akatsuki is trying to get the ultimate military power to establish their goal.

8. JayG Konoha's Beautiful Green Beast

Well, I did tell you Akatsuki's purpose (it's to destroy everything), I just didn't tell you WHY.

Obviously, going into the reasoning for their thinking at this point would be futile, as we don't even know all of their members. But if their purpose is to destroy the world, my guess is that each of the members of Akatsuki have their own demented reasons for doing so.

We have a guy like Itachi who killed off his own clan, a guy like Sasori who makes puppets out of humans, Zetsu who eats corpse, Orochimaru who experimented on people for jutsu...it's not exactly too far out to think that these people aren't rational at all.

They may have a valid reason for wanting to destroy everything, or it could be as simple as destroying something "ugly" (think Deidara and his "art") and replace with something better, or no reason at all.

9. DMNK zomgIh8U

akatskui, in the end

is a really really mean bunch of people :'(

10. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

lol that clears up any complications :laugh.

11. Alia_Atreides Mew...

Good theory. And the red moon can also gives a clue of when the Akatsuki will make their final strike: in the next eclipse, or red moon.
    Really good one, well done.

12. Sakura Active Member

nice theory but ahhhh! such a long post. i read most of it so i get the point. itz very interesting how you pointed out the 'unstoppable beast'. ill have to wait till all akatsuki members are known. all nine of them.

13. Nymphetamine Shinigami

14. Chi Technical knockout

Now.. i don't know why, but with all that cycles it reminded me about "Matrix" movie :p

Naruto will soon meet Akatsuki leader who'll give him choise.. And we all know what Naruto will choose :p

Anyway.. nice thinking.. But with all those theories, i already don't know what CAN happen, and what can't...

15. Alkador Summoned Slug

If you look at Akatsuki without reading the kanji, it can mean 'red moon', but the overall kanji, used in the Manga means 'dawn', no matter what. Unless you take direct translations of parts of the kanji, but that still does not work very well. Akatsuki means dawn, full stop.

The next question of contemplating is why this so called 'King of Hell' that absorbs enormous chakra? It was either Chiyo or Kakashi who stated (in belief) that that only humans could contain the Youko (tailed beasts) within them. Now the assumption of this monolithic structure is to store all the tailed beasts, whom would most likely never ally together due to their arrogance (take Kyuubi and Shukaku as the examples). I was led to believe that this structure was used to store and maintain the chakra of these beasts for future use. As of current, the characters are led to believe that Akatsuki wish to use those energies themselves, but they could be wrong.

The next thing we have to look at in your theory is the Orochimaru link between him and the organisation. We know that Orochimaru was a person that wanted to become recognised as an 'ultimate being' and Akatsuki most likely did not suit his liking. Their purpose must have been twisted enough for Orochimaru leave and attempt to kill Naruto in the Sannin battle. Surely Akatsuki's aims must be something that even scared Orochimaru. Then again, the only clue at him leaving the organisation was something about 'Itachi being stronger than him'.

Also, I think a lunar eclipse symbolises the snake swallowing the moon. I'm not sure though.

Just my opinions.

16. Keyser S?ze Formerly Midnight Joker

in general they're purpose is to gain power for themselves. they all joined probably because they were promised with more power (aka a bijuu). i don't know though, who knows, kishi probably doesn't even know.

17. ultimcanti New Member

I have a theory somewhere amidst the pages of the forum with more detail about the things you have covered here. But you are correct about Akatsuki's meaning. It means red dawn, but for those knowledgable, it is also commonly used by protest groups/revolutionaries in Japan over the last century. I think the terrorist group that used nerve gas on that train a few years back was called akatsuki. Anyways, dawn represents the start of a new day or new era. Red dawn represents same new era started with violence/blood, thus the red. Anyways, good hypotheticals.