1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Akatsuki Rings Pt. II

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by YamazakiSusumu, Feb 9, 2005.

1. YamazakiSusumu

With the release of chapter 247, we see two new Akatsuki members. In one of the panels, we see the ring that the female member wears on her right index finger. The kanji on this ring goes along with the theme that Mafuyu from Paradise in Winter has expected. I took some stuff from her site and added to it with new information.

???(Leader)........ (れい, Rei) meaning Zero
    Deidara.............. (せい, Sei) meaning Blue
    ???.................... (はく, Haku) meaning White
    Uchiha Itachi....... (しゅ, Shu) meaning Red
    Zetsu................. (かい, Kai) meaning Boar
    Orochimaru......... (くう, Kuu) meaning Sky
    Hoshigaki Kisame.. (なん, Nan) meaning South
    ???(Giant)........... (ほく, Hoku) meaning North
    ???.................... (さん, San) meaning Three
    Sasori................ (ぎょく, Gyoku) meaning Jewel

The kanji come from:
    青龍(せいりゅう,Seiryuu) lit. Blue Dragon
    白虎(びゃっこ, Byakko) lit. White Tiger
    朱雀(すざく, Suzaku) lit. Red Sparrow
    玄武(げんぶ, Genbu) lit. Black Warrior
    空陳(くうちん, Kuuchin) lit.
    南斗(なんと, Nanto) lit. South Star
    北斗(ほくと, Hokuto) lit. North Star
    三台(さんたい, Santai) lit.
    玉女(ぎょくにょ, Gyokunyo) lit. Jewel Woman

Note: For some reason it shows Zetsu's ring as 亥 instead of 玄 in chapter 255 of the manga. I don't know why Kishimoto would draw "boar" instead of "genbu" since genbu obviously goes with the 4 Gods theme, while boar does not.

These are names of gods in China. The first four are famous for being the guardians of direction and they also represent the seasons. Seiryuu, the blue dragon, guards the East and represents the season of Spring. Suzaku, the crimson phoenix, guards the South and represents the season of Summer. Byakko, the white tiger, guards the West and represents the season of Autumn. Genbu, the black tortoise, guards the North and represents the season of Winter.

EDIT: After the most recent chapter (254), it is evident that there is even more significance to the Akatsuki rings. The finger that the individual members wear their rings on directly correlates to a giant wooden statue that they have in their hideout. The individual stands on the corresponding finger when they perform a still undetermined ritual involving the jinchuuriki. Here are the confirmed positions so far:

Right Thumb: (Leader)
    Right Pointer: Deidara
    Right Middle: ???
    Right Ring: Itachi
    Right Pinky: Zetsu
    Left Pinky: Orochimaru (even though he left the organization)
    Left Ring: Kisame
    Left Middle: (Giant)
    Left Pointer: ???
    Left Thumb: Sasori

These positions IN NO WAY reflect their rankings of power!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
    Tags:
  2. RaitoRyuukashin

I was just about to make this topic but i had forgot all that info -_-

So where does the Batgirl fit in with the Ring ranking?

3. YamazakiSusumu

The bat girl has the kanji for blue..... that's all in there....

4. Axass

Isn't Satori the girl? I thought Yuura calling her lord was a mistranslation. The sluggo guy doesn't even talk and why should Yuura know him?

5. Marsala

Since Orochimaru left and there are still nine members, does that mean someone else got a Sora (Sky) signet ring, or is there some tenth god from an alternate list? It seems that Itachi did not just replace Orochimaru, so some other ninja we haven't seen in detail must have.

6. caliboy

is sasori the girl or the hunchback?

7. YamazakiSusumu

I'm pretty sure Sasori is the blob. Blobby says something to Yuura (the sand jounin) and then Yuura replies with "Blah blah blah, Sasori-sama" Why would he say the girl's name?

8. Axass

Because the batgirl calls Yura husband. Doesn't she? BTW - If you speak japanese you should translate the chapter, the version we got was PRETTY confusing.

9. MusashiVvvvv

Thanks YamazakiSusumu for the great info!

One question, is the list of kanji ordered by decreasing strength?

10. Dyroness

O_______________O Really interesting.
    It's nice to know their names. I was wondering about the origins too.
    So, I guess we're gonna wait...

And while I'm at it...
    FMB Chinese script spoilers Similarity #1: Akatsuki being after Gaara.
    FMB Chinese script spoilers Similarity #2 Spotted! -> 北斗(ほくと, Hokuto) AKA 3rd Mangekyou Sharingan User and Yondaime's teammate from the spoilers.

11. MasamuneX7

Seiryuu is Green Dragon, not Blue Dragon. That first character is the word "Green". I am Chinese. The word you've given Shu (yellowish-red) means "Pearl". I've never heard of that word being used as a color in Chinese, but maybe it is. I'm sure many of you are aware that many words in Chinese have similar English (pinyin) spelling but different accents. Everything else seems fine.

12. YamazakiSusumu

That's definitely the kanji for blue. Ao can mean both green and blue, though. In this case it means blue. In a case like Chouji's Ao no Hourengan, it means green for "green spinach pill."
    --
    I added more to my first post.

EDIT: No, they don't go in order of strength, Musashi.

13. MusashiVvvvv

I could have sworn seeing a post a few months ago that ranked the ring kanji in order of strength. Was that a hoax, or do the rings actually have a ranking system?

14. YamazakiSusumu

I didn't post that so I don't know. Do some searching and I'm sure you'll find it in an old thread.

Wait, what do you mean by all of this??? Please explain. :0

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  15. Jin

Yeah i dont understand it either

16. shukee

that's because, no offence, you are not very proficient in your chinese....the SHU was used as a color "closer to SHU will be red, closer to ink will be black?" remember? or have you even heard of it...most of those names came from hundreds of years ago, and if you havent read a lot of older style chinese, ie MUNG-YIN-MUNG (or Book-spoken Words)....you would have no idea what certain words mean... The chinese language has evolved a lot over the years....(just like a little kid who can speak english doesnt know what the hell shakespeare is all about, and doesnt understand crap when ppl read it to em).

anyway, CHING, it's green to us, but it's blue to japanese in their list of kanji.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  17. MasamuneX7

Shu is familiar now. Thanks for clarifying the qing/ao difference.

18. NeoSyrex

There's a couple other similarities. For one, the ring Itachi wears corresponds to the "crimson phoenix", and the theory had Sasuke being the container of a red phoenix (like the ones on the walls of the hidden Uchiha meeting place). It's possible (if the theory is true) that Itachi wanted Sasuke to awaken this phoenix inside of him so he could nab it, or whatever.

The other similiarity is that the spoiler said Kakashi's true potential would be revealed, and Kakashi has already said how he still has room for growth (although this was obvious to me at least) and he has developed an "amazing new jutsu".

Another thing I noticed is that one of the gods is "White Tiger"... is it possible that Kakashi has a demon hidden in him like Sasuke (assuming the theory is true)? Considering he's the son of Kanoha's "White Fang". Remember, Itachi had two chances to kill Kakashi and didn't, and told Kisame to bring him with them. This could be a reason why.

I think maybe Akatsuki's goal might be to obtain the demon each one of their rings corresponds to. It would be good to know what the other names mean, if any correspond to Kyuubi/Shukaku it would lend credence to this idea...

We're talking about a supposed "full part 2 spoiler" that was posted in the first 245 agony thread a couple weeks back. Some of the stuff in it sounded pretty believable, others not so much. Mainly that Jiraiya is a spy for Akatsuki and Naruto is a genetic experiment.

Somehow I was able to find it after doing some sifting:

Clicky

Its a poor babelfish translation, so its difficult to read. I remember a better translation was posted in the thread, if you want to see it its in there.

19. Mizura

Yeeha! Found that thread again!
    review

Crazy fic. At first we thought it was the actual script, the fact that it was completely in Chinese and that nobody around at first was able to translate it meant that people tried to make sense of it using various translation engines, and only managed to get bits and pieces. So by the time we saw that there was something Wrong with the big picture, we had wasted a lot of time... Anyway, Narutofan translated it part by part:
    - review
    - review
    - review
    - review
    - review
    - review
    - review
    - review

There you go! Though we all think it's a fake...

20. Narutofan

玄 can alos mean black, ALSO could mean mystical.
    actually it's part of my name lol

no it definitely means RED... in fact it think it means bright red, or stuff that is red. Havn't you heard of the phrase: If you are near Shu you are reddish, if you are near ink you are black...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  21. YamazakiSusumu

I just read through all of that Part 2 summary and at the end it starts talking about someone named 初音 (Hatsune). Well, Hatsune was actually a fan-created character that won a contest and was featured in Volume 23. I guess the winner got their オリキャラ (orikyara -- original character) drawn by Kishimoto for the volume release. The thing is... Hatsune was a girl.

The person who made up that Part 2 summary just took some names (like Hokuto from the 9 gods) and created an unrealistic story from them. The Akatsuki members' names aren't going to be the exact same as the gods anyway...

22. Nethila

Allow me to clear things up: STOP SAYING THOSE NAMES ARE GODS IN CHINA!! holy sh*t. I was born in china, raised in china, lived there long enough to know all the myth/legends/gods in china. Those arent chinese gods. They look chinese cause they are in kanji. thats all. those are japanese legends. Sheesh, stop confusing people. Ever watched Harukanaru Toki no Naka de Hachiyoushou? If you did, then you'd know those legends/names are japanese stuff. :notrust

23. YamazakiSusumu

Way to freak out... freak...

I'm pretty sure that Suzaku, Seiryuu, Genbu and Byakko are gods from Chinese legends. Of course they would've had different names since those are the Japanese pronunciations.

24. Nethila

hmmm, my mistake.
    i actually dug up some really old books in my basement. found out im wrong..haha, oops :p

25. Last of the Uchihas

way to go pal. lol j/k

Some of the posts have been reading here are very interesting, and hopefully those became true later on in the manga since so far those predicting haven't turned out to be false, but true.

26. west blue

if i'm not mistaken, oro still had the ring with him. in eps where he told kabuto he had left akatsuki and admitted that itachi was much stronger than him, i believe the ring were shown too. so does it mean double rings? or because oro left akatsuki, his ring was considered illegal (i can't find more appropriate word, sorry..) and therefore another ninja replaced him? :blink
    pls correct me if i'm wrong.

27. lupine

this is the best, most informative. intelligent thread
    i have read

gj YamazakiSusumu

28. Invisus

The way I heard it, Kishimoto was starved for ideas for new characters and asked the fans to send in their drawings and the grandprize would be to have one of your characters inserted into the manga.

Anyway, he's Hatsune and the 3-Man Team.

29. RaitoRyuukashin

thats what i was asking Yama but it wasnt you who posted it

hmm so that chick would be the strongest???

30. DTemplar5

When I saw that, I got the feeling that particular method isn't being followed. With all the ways these rings can be interripted, Kishimoto-san might use another method entirely.