1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Akatsuki, Shodaime, Mokuton! Read!

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Despiser, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Despiser

There's something I saw when rereading some old chapters that suddenly struck me.

Check out chapter 254, page 16 (or the colored one). The one where Akatsuki are about to descend upon the weird 'statue' where they are about to retrieve the One Tail from Gaara.

The colored panels make it even more plain than the originals, that it seems as though the creature is shackled in wood! In fact, it appears as though trees grew all around it.

Who in all of Narutoverse do we know is able to use wood/tree jutsu? That's right, the First Hokage.

EDIT: Thanks ShounenSuki for clarifying some things from Databook.

[It was always never explained very clearly why the First and the Second left Konoha, but we do know one thing: that the First was a ninja who 'ended a time of wars' and founded the Hidden Village of Konoha. And then, for no apparent reason, both he and the Second upped and left, leaving the title of Hokage to a TEENAGER, the Third. Judging from their appearances in flashbacks compared to Edo Tensei, we also know two more things: that the time they made Sandaime Hokage was around the same time that they themselves died.]<--This section possibly wrong, thanks to ShounenSuki.

This is the sequence of events as I see it now: Shodaime left Konoha/died to fight something which no one else could; as they left, they made Sandaime the new Hokage. Shodaime succeeded, encasing the threat/enemy with his powerful, unique Mokuton jutsu and sealing him away, costing him his lives in the process, much like with Sandaime or Yondaime (are we seeing a trend here?). And now, for whatever purposes, the Akatsuki are trying to release or undo this seal of Shodaime, and they need the power of the Bijuu in order to do so.

Need more convincing? How about the sudden appearance of Yamato, a Mokuton user and clone of the Shodaime? Or, what's more, the fact that he has limited control over bijuu's and jinchurikuu...and states that Shodaime's control and power was far greater? And now, the Akatsuki are trying to do something with a beast that is apparently, imprisoned or sealed within a prison/layering of wood/trees, with bijuu's...

I don't know exactly what's going on, but the Shodaime clone, Yamato, and the Shodaime backstory is going to play a major role yet in the future. Dattebayo!

EDIT: Read forward to chapter 256. The statue awoke in response to the AL's seal, beginning to extract the bijuu from Gaara, and it's eyes started to open. Almost as if it was gathering energy from the bijuu/gathering the bijuu in order to release itself...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
    Tags:
  2. Sai_What

Wait, can you post a picture? I don't remember that...

3. Despiser

So everything really revolves around Shodaime...
    Do you mean they're trying to release something Shodaime sealed using his wood jutsu (whatever its called...) by using the power they take out of the Kyubi's??

5. Crowe

6. Doc. Q

it looks like it has a BDSM gag in its mouth

7. *uzumaki-naruto*

im liking the theory :p but what would be sealed inside the statue ? oh and have u noticed it has 9 eye's and there's nine bijuu

8. jariroth

I doubt the theory... Why would someone like Shodaime make a Seal that can only be opened with all Bijuus... Even though Shodaime was the one who could control the power of the bijuu, it just doesnt sound very Kishimoto-like story...
    And btw that picture is Fan colored, not original. But most of you know it already...

9. Drainz

because that would be the hardest way to open the seal.. i mean figure how hard it is to gather all 9 bijuu in one place and then have to do some ritual thingy to open it.

the theory seems to hold.. before reading this, i thought you were gonna say that shodaime was the AL.. lol.

10. Uzumaki~Kakashi

Nice theory, I've always thought there has to be some monster that can be awakened if Akatsuki can obtain all the bijuu.

11. Cloud Nine

I totally agree with this theory. it's a very believable explanation for Akatsuki's bijuu-hunting, and it also gives a bit more of a backstory to Shodaime. Brilliant thinking! ^__^

12. jariroth

Sure it would be hardest way. But if he is that good sealing stuff why didnt he seal it in something that would be harder to move. Come on now the AL summoned that god damn thing! You think he can just summon it from place to place without scroll if its not a Summon creature? And they also moved it away from cave... It has to be somekind of AL's technique...
    But on the other hand he did the same Hand seal Yamato uses when he uses his Mokuton. So it could be that AL is also a Mokuton user...Hmmm....Nah...
    Edit: I also remembered that its Sealing technique itself to extract the bijuu and seal it in the statue. So it would mean they have to seal bijuus in order to break a seal... Doesnt make any sense... Unless that statue is just a temporary container for the bijuus...

13. ShounenSuki

Let's get some facts straight.

First of all, the seal the Akatsuki leader uses is not the same as the one the Shodai and Yamato sue for their Mokuton. It only looked that way because of a bad quality scan.

Secondly, the statue isn't 'grown' like with the Mokuton jutsu. It looks more like it's 'summoned'.

Thirdly, the statue isn't entirely made of wood. It seems to have metallic parts (the handcuffs)

Fourthly, neither the Shodai nor the Nidaime left Konoha. They both died in battle as Hokage. First the Shodai died, leaving his title to the Nidaime, then he died leaving his title to the Sandaime.

14. ninchucka

I am sure I remember a scene in which the first 2 hokages confront a very young looking Sarutobi and tell him that he is going to be the next hokage.

15. ShounenSuki

That's because there was such a scene. However, it was anime-only. The equivalent scene in the manga never showed the three together. Besides, even if it did, the scene is most likely not to be taken literally.

In any case, the databooks clearly state that the Shodai died shortly after founding Konoha, passing his title over to his younger brother. The Nidaime also died in battle after a short reign, shortly after founding the Academy. Making the Sandaime Hokage.

16. Mat?icha

nice theory. it could be true. all we need is to wait.

17. myoldNFaccount

I really like this theory. So are you saying that whatever the great evil is was sealed by the Shodaime and needs the 9 Bijuu (I noticed the nine closed eyes) to unseal it. So is the Akatsuki Leader really a Mokuton user or did he summon this sealed creature? This theory is very interesting to think about.

18. Mider T

Flag:
    United States

Maybe the Sarutobi thing was a metaphor for explaining the will of fire, or trying to take up minutes to save room for the manga without fillers.

19. Sharikagen

well this is a good theory and could be true...

BUT.
    In the Orochimaru/ Sarutobi fight, Orochimaru summoned the 1st and 2nd.. If i remember right they can only do that if they are DEAD..

i think there might be a development of the fourth though, cause he really never summoned him but i dont know..

im so curious about who the other akatsuki are

20. Captain Gir

that actually is a good theory...maybe it has to do with something about Uchiha Madara, maybe the two hokages made sandaime the new hokage when they did cause they we going to [defeat, chase, kill, idk] get rid of him?? that does sound like something, and so they imprisoned madara somewhere and they need the bijuus to release madara...maybe they are trying to bring him back cause after all teh Kyuubi is scared of him [and the kyuubi is a scary person to begin with]

they do that so they dont catch up to the manga fast, but heyy we all kno wat happened after that lol

21. Shadow Slayer

22. Shikamaru-sama

Its a good theory in so much as it would make a good story, but i dotn think its likely to happen at all.

The main Hokage focused on is Yondaime and his likeness to naruto. If any character from the past is going to be influencing current day events it will be him/

23. TheoDerek

A theory concerning Akatsuki that isn't complete and total bullshit.

I didn't think it was possible. :amazed

Nice job, rep for that if nothing else.
    I don't know. Kakashi did say that the lives of Sasuke and Naruto were remarkably close to the VotE statues. Naruto being like Shodai and Sasuke being like the other(likely Madara).

So it isn't too off the wall for somthing in the story to be linked to Shodai.

24. Captain Gir

that is true...it necessarily doesnt have to be yondie...i dont doubt there be something in the future about him [like a lifes story or something like kakashi gaiden to get to kno him]

25. Shikamaru-sama

26. Artificial_Sunshine

But why does this Beast remind me of an Elektra Assassin page?

Well, they DO worship a Hand statue thing. And Psylocke looks alot like the Akatsuki chick (from behind)

I think this is proof that Akatsuki is affiliated with . (Crap, another crack-pot theory)

27. Despiser

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback, people. After the first few hours, seeing no responses at all, I kinda thought this post was doomed to be neglected and ignored :)

To clarify a few things,

1) I don't think the AL leader is a Mokuton user necessarily; merely that a Mokuton user, ie Shodaime, sealed away the creature that Akatsuki is trying to unleash,

2) I don't think the AL leader 'grew' the thing; I do believe he summoned it for the ceremony, but I don't believe he created it, if that makes sense. If you remember, in a way he also 'summoned' all the other AL members, so it's obvious he's capable of a lot of long distance pseudo-summoning jutsu. I don't think anything in that scene was real/physical.

3) I concur that the statue isn't entirely made from wood, BUT, the thing does seem to be encased in wood. Why WOOD, of all materials? Considering how important the object/creature is to the central plotline of AL collecting bijuu, I find it dubious that Kishimoto just decided, 'hmm, what to make this thing sealed in...wood seems cool, I'll go with that.'

4) Lastly, I don't have Databook, so I don't know what it says, but a) Databook often has strange/contradictory assessments, such as claiming saying Kurenai's strength in genjutsu is equal to Itachi's (I call bs), and b) even if the Shodaime had nothing to do with transferring power to Sandaime and died before, that doesn't invalidate this argument, as we still don't know how he died.

Finally, for Sasuke3759, I do remember that part of the manga very clearly, but I wasn't sure how to work it into the theory in a comprehensive way (save for the fact that it linked Shodaime to Naruto in a way), so I didn't bring it up.

Again, thanks for all of your positive feedback!

28. juUnior

Good theory, indeed. Maybe thate sealed thing (if its true) is Uchiha Madara <half-joke> But theory is possible.

29. Despiser

Hrm, btw, actually, Nidaime having nothing to do with this (ie just taking over after Shodaime died) makes even more sense than my original post/idea. I theorized that he went off with Shodaime, but didn't come up with any real 'ties' other than that for him to the story.

Whereas Shodaime has a LOT; he's Tsunade's grandpa (I believe?), owned the amulet that Naruto now wears which can help his bijuu'ness be controlled, was what all the Shodaime-clones such as Yamato were created for, AND was personification of Naruto, so to speak, at the battle at VotE, as described by Kakashi. That's all aside from the situation regarding Akatsuki. I'm going to mod my original theory a bit.

30. NarutoPurePwnage

One problem. If 1st sealed something that is going to require Kyuubi to awaken itself, 1st should be the greatest Hokage not 4th.