1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Congresswoman attacked for dancing

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Death Certificate, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Son of Goku Doesn't need a Custom Title

Didn't know you were this sensitive. :maybe

2. martryn Dick in hand

Again, they have access to healthcare. I never said anything about the price. They CAN see a doctor if they choose to, but they choose not to. Period. Regardless of reasons. Period.

That study you posted was in 2016, well into the Obamacare years. What fucking good did government intervention do?

I have said that we need to curtail medical costs in America, and I acknowledge there is a problem. But the solution, as I have repeatedly said, is not more government, but less government. Remove licensing laws, allow people to purchase insurance across state lines, and deregulate the industry.

So everyone should be given universal groceries, or do we keep the current system of food stamps in place? Which is the equivalent of keeping Medicare in place... So...?

Sour grapes.

3. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    When it stops being the country that leads in almost all aspects of human development.

4. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

5. Chelydra Devour them all.

I'm still waiting for that illicit sex tape. :pek

6. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

Call up a local doctor. Tell them that you don't have any money and don't have any insurance but you have a funny cough and you wonder if you don't need a MRI. Let me know when your appointment is.

Next talk to any medical professional and ask them about the difference in prognosis between a cough being diagnosed as lung cancer at stage 1 when found during routine care or at stage 4 when found in the ER because they're having trouble breathing.

Then think about this very hard and understand that lack of medical care would have caused someone to die here. Something you said doesn't exist and have since spent the last several pages pretending you didn't say.

7. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

Meanwhile the president can say and do whatever he wants...

8. Rukia We are all Spider-man!

Germany
    I heard that Alexandria doesn’t even know the three branches of government. :huh

9. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

You can do it whenever you want, baby. Go for it.

We'll just keep being the wealthiest country in the world and a political, military, and cultural hegemony. Your tears are delicious.

10. Canute87 Nuke Imminent

Alright understand I've come to the realization that i don't understand how certain things work.

But how can you be wealthy and be in substantial amount of debt?

11. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

We had this is a different thread already but We can talk about it here again. You are not the wealthiest. And you are not political and cultural a hegemony. Military wise you are stronger than others however I do not know if that alone qualifies as being a hegemony. In my eyes it does not, seeing how you failed several military missions and currently withdraw from actual combat zones.

12. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Well, there's three concepts to take apart here.
    First, the idea that debt is always money owed minus wealth. Untrue. It's typical for people with plenty of money to assume debt for a number of reasons, often that they have better uses for most of that money in the present, so they pay as little as possible and use the rest for other things. The creditors don't care as long as they're convinced the payments will keep coming.

Second, that the US's debt is something we bought from someone else (China?) and now owe money for. Also untrue. We pay for what we buy. The debt you speak of is in the form of treasury bonds. China (or whoever) pays us 50 dollars now, covering our deficit, and we promise to pay them 100 dollars in, say, 30 years.
    China isn't doing this because they want that 100 dollars. They do, but it's probably not going to be worth 100 dollars in today's dollar value. What they want is a place to put their wealth that's safe. The US isn't going anywhere and neither is our money. So they can take their own money, which is volatile and could evaporate at any time if there's a revolution or a war or a collapse, and put it into dollars, which they can then get out again whenever they need to, no matter what happens to their own money. So really it is the lenders that depend on the US, not the other way around. It's mutually beneficial, but if that debt is defaulted on, we're still here and still making money. Their money is gone.

Third, that sovereign debt is equal to personal debt. It's really not. If you go in debt, sooner or later, someone's gonna come knocking on your door, and there really isn't anything you can do about that.
    How do you knock on the door of a nation? You can't, all you can do is tell them you won't be nice to them in the future if they don't pay their debt. If you run the multinational organization that they belong to and rely on (Germany threatening Greece, for instance) then that's effective. Can anyone threaten the US? Not really, no. We pay our debts because we feel like it and because for various reasons it's good to be trusted as the global reserve currency and for the dollar to be valued highly. But nobody could force us to.

13. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Yes we are the wealthiest, by three times or so. Nine times if we exclude China. If you mean per capita, we're the wealthiest besides oil and banking states.

We are a political and cultural hegemony. Sad to say. I don't mean to be arrogant, but you're speaking English to me right now. I don't speak German and don't feel any particular need or desire to learn. Or Chinese. Or French. I would like to learn Japanese, which is an effect of their cultural draw on me, but it's not strong enough for me to have actually done so.
    Also Trump just did literally whatever he wanted to, most of which was really dumb. But that's a political hegemony for you.

14. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

Are you speaking about GDP? Then you need to provide appropriate sources to your claim because almost every listing from several different sources portray the US, China and the EU in the same ballpark. Some see China first, some the US, some the EU. Claiming the US is three times as rich as other blocs is simply wrong from all the information I have.

I do not understand how language translates into hegemony. More people speak mandarin than English for example, yet it is not seen as an indicator for hegemony.

What are your actual reasons and arguments to see the US as a political and cultural hegemony? I don’t mean your emotional opinion but I mean tangible facts which proof your point

Regarding trumps actions, this moreso invalidates your point than reinforcing it. Despite trumps aggressive foreign policy other blocs in the world do not give trump what he desires. Trump Doing what trump likes to make America great again would be hegemonic if it had clear success. But so far it does not. The opposite is true. Trump pulled out of the climate pact but it was still signed and is an important figure in geopolitics (EU for Example just builds free trade arrangements with countries which abide by it and the blocs they have arrangements with do abide). Trump pulls out of the pacific trade agreement and the other nations still sign it with US farmers openly complaining about them losing the market due to it already. Trump wants to stop Russian/Germany gas pipelines to sell US own LNG gas but neither Russia nor Germany stop the project. Trump pulls out of Syria and Afghanistan and others immediately prepare to annihilate the US allies with the head of states not even bothering to welcome Pompeo to Bargain. You are an influential player in the world however your assessment of you being an actual hegemony is simply incorrect

15. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

The EU and the US are in the same ballpark, but the EU is not a country. The EU is also 800 million people. The US is 315 million.

And okay, maybe twice...ish... including China?

Anyway I don't really have time to explain why more - 1.5 billion - people speaking English is a better measure of hegemony than 1.3 billion CHINESE speaking Chinese, I gotta run.
    There are only about 400 million native English speakers. Do the math.

16. RavenSupreme Well-Known Member

The EU is one single market. Which is precisely the strength of the EU. it has a nominal GDP of 19 trillion, similar to the US.

Also the EU doesn’t has 800 million people. It has 520 million compared to the US 320 million

However the EU only has 4.4 million square kilometer area compared to the US 9.8 million.

17. Takahashi I'm with Eyeshield 21

It's also worth noting that the problem with personal debt is that you as an individual can die, which isn't true for a country. The absence of a finite lifespan matters a lot.

Well, English being the lingua franca is more due to the Brits than anything else.

18. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi Pichu!

Taxes shouldn't just be used to keep the government from running us over my dude.

With the right policies, they can (and should) be used to benefit the people as well

19. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Sure. Keeping elderly people from dying in the street or running criminal justice will never be profitable. Some things only a government can do.

But don't kid yourself that the working class is benefitting. The working class is taxed harder than anyone else. If I get pulled over and fined for speeding, that's less money than I made that day. If someone making minimum wage gets pulled over, that's their whole week, gone to the government.
    Sales tax, property tax, fines, fees, and levies. These are all things the wealthy don't even notice but that ruin the working class, but everyone believes the sweet fairy tale that because people in poverty don't pay income tax, they're benefitting from the system.

Nope. Just more gears in a system that mostly benefits its operators.

20. Son of Goku Doesn't need a Custom Title

Whoa, where did that number come from? It's 512 million. Soon to be around 450m, due to Brexit.

Last time I checked it was at 320m.

According to it's currently at 328,272,83.