1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Anime Awards for 2017 part 3 commences with genre awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Alien: Covenant [a.k.a. Prometheus 2]

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by tari101190, Sep 24, 2015.

1. tari101190 Well-Known Member

Ridley Scott decided to go back on what he said recently, and renamed Prometheus 2 to Alien.

Even though he said it's not an Alien movie without references to Alien...

Scott seems to be passive aggressively trying to get in Neill Blomkamp's way.

Tags:
  2. Saishin Hajimemashite

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  3. Parallax Never Forever Retired Staff

Mexico
    way to shit on Milton, Scott :catroll

4. RAGING BONER #UrNext

look man, imma watch it but my expectations are at their lowest possibru.

5. Jagger Well-Known Member

I don't even know why, but I will still watch it.

6. Jena E. Pluribus Anus

7. Tranquil Fury The Only Thing I know

Prometheus was bad, we don't need more, 3 or 4 films to tell this story seems excessive and typical Hollywood milking, also because RS can't make a good movie from scratch these days(hell he can't even with an established franchise). It's hilarious how he tried to make Prometheus it's own thing and that failed, now he's trying to use the Alien brand name to promote/sell his movie. Never occured to me he was being passive aggressive but he probably is.

8. Gilgamesh die

9. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I liked Prometheus, but my initial thoughts on the idea of pursuing it as a franchise is...Too late...

The film was financially successful, but had a polarizing reputation. I'd say most people share my feelings: Pretty good, but not as good as I was hoping. Nevertheless, I'd understand a sequel if they had struck while the iron was hot. Prometheus was relevant in 2012. Maybe 2013. 2014 is a stretch, but a sequel would still capture interest in that time period. But now..."Prometheus" wasn't as impactful as "Alien". It's just been too long for anyone to care...

And now they changed the name, making me wonder if the filmmakers actually understand this. "Alien: Paradise Lost" can be an original film or part of the "Alien" franchise, but obviously they are de-Prometheus'ing "Prometheus".

10. Jena E. Pluribus Anus

The irony with all these Alien sequels/prequels/spin-offs is that they ruin the fundamental appeal of Alien/Aliens. Those movies are terrifying because the characters are being pursued by a terrifying, unknown enemy. The more we see of the xenomorphs the less scary they are. All the shitty sequels already made them un-scary. Knowing every intricate detail of how they were created adds nothing, the best you can hope for is some intense visuals like the c-section scene in Prometheus but that's about it.

11. Karasu Not Exactly

Who keeps giving these idiots money to make movies?

Truth.

Any elements of predator/prey have been beaten to death. And the unknown (which makes up a good portion of what terrorizes people) is long gone. All he has left at this point are cheap jump scares, and whatever intensity he can squeeze from visuals (which, despite being well done sometimes, are almost mundane compared to others in the genre).

Prometheus was boring. I didn't pay to see it, and I wouldn't even waste my time to see another.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  12. tari101190 Well-Known Member

I liked enough of Prometheus, or at least what it was about.

And I'm seeing the Martian today, which is apparently great.

So I have faith.

13. martryn Dick in hand

I think Prometheus suffered because it just had lots of questions but no answers. I agree with MartialHorror in that, if they had made the sequel a few years ago, I'd want to see it to understand Prometheus, which wasn't all that bad. Now I can't remember the questions that Prometheus posed, and I don't care enough to go back and remember why I cared.

I do remember that there were a shit ton of people with Prometheus avatars and sigs when the movie first came out. Fucking changed your mind about it now, huh?

14. tari101190 Well-Known Member

Lindelof is the only problem with Prometheus (as with all of his movies), so as long as he isn't writing, the film will be fine.

15. martryn Dick in hand

Plot holes. Plot holes everywhere. I mean, did Into Darkness make any sense to anyone with all the plotholes?

16. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

This actually makes me wanna watch it more.

17. James Bond Well-Known Member

Sweden
    Isn't the origin of Xenomorph that Predator's were bored and created the ultimate game to hunt ?

18. tari101190 Well-Known Member

They probably just acquired the xenomorph, and mass produced their own.

Seems like those Jesus alien guys created the xenomorphs originally.

19. Saishin Hajimemashite

I would have expected something more mysterious or original about the origin of the xenomorph.

20. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

Prometheus was a pretty mysterious movie. I think its lack of clarity was one of the main complaints. For my money, just about everything that movie explained clearly was stupid, and everything that movie left vague was interesting. And it was the only time idris elba was just, what? What was he trying to do with that performance?

21. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

To be honest, I don't think peoples issue with "Prometheus" was its mysteriousness as much as its...mysteriousness, combined with some dumb writing. If the film didn't have moronic scenes like the guy trying to pet the alien thing, people would've accepted Prometheus as a cerebral thriller. They would accept that it won't provide most of the answers and would try to use their own minds to solve its riddles.

But when characters do something so ridiculously stupid in order to drive the plot, it leads us to conclude that we are just watching another monster movie, albeit one with a pretentious streak. We see the unanswered questions as plot holes or cop-out sequel hooks.

Once again, I liked the movie, but more on a superficial level. I loved the visual style, thought the characters were interesting enough and found the intense moments to be effective. But it's only marginally smarter than most blockbusters.

22. Swarmy An Inordinate Fondness For Beetles

Why make more movies about the Xenos origins when he said it right there, they are biological weapons :zaru I prefer the comic explanation that made them out to be a cosmic force that keeps other species in check if they start overpopulating too much :hurr

23. Tranquil Fury The Only Thing I know

Honestly all people wanted was the explaination on Engineers and Xenos with good psychological plus body horror, it had some of those being fair but the designs of the creatures were not as good as the originals, giant squid facehugger?Charlize Theron's character should have been the heroine. Prometheus showed the Engineers were making biological weapons, he just said Xenos are that, why need to make so many movies outside obvious cash grab for just that?. This series only need 1 or 2 movies not 3 or 4 for an origin story.

Especially when he was supposedly an expert on animals, a phallic cobra thing gets defensive like a snake or some other animal and he refuses to back off.

24. Swarmy An Inordinate Fondness For Beetles

The problem is that everyone with common sense who watched Alien and Prometheus would have already figured out that those eggs in the first ship were weapons, that's one of the reason so many Alien fans hated Prometheus and now Ridley is gonna make 3 more movies just to explain what is obvious by now :lmao

25. Ennoea Red Light

He's a great visual director. But shame the film will be written by Lindelof who sucks and so another crap fest will be added to the already bloated franchise.

26. tari101190 Well-Known Member

The Martian was perfect! Ridley Scott is back! I'll trust whatever he does!

27. Swarmy An Inordinate Fondness For Beetles

Why don't you complete the cycle and post that in the SW thread as well :maybe

28. tari101190 Well-Known Member

Ridley Scott isn't affiliated with Star Wars.

29. Swarmy An Inordinate Fondness For Beetles

30. Mider T VM Rapist

Good news, Neil Blomkamp is a hack anyway.

This.