1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

And the world is silent

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Eagle88, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Eagle88

I read this article for my college english class and just wondered what others would think about it.

Tags:
  2. Eagle88

So what does everyone think?

3. Amaretti

Getting in before the muslim bashing begins...

I think he has a point. Arabs and muslims are largely responsible for the deaths of arabs and muslims and hostile arab nations that are depriving their people of basic human rights paint Israel as public enemy #1 to distract their people from the real issues. The most telling case is Darfur and the horrendous slaughter that has been going on. Hardly anyone is paying attention to it, and it's pretty much a full blown genocide of black muslims by arab muslims. Yet no one seems to care.

I agree with this article, but I hope this doesn't degenerate into mindless arab and muslim bashing.

4. Eagle88

I agree. I hope nobody thinks this is a muslim bashing thread. I didn't intend it to be so.

5. Toby

He raises a point in a subjective way. I believe there have been better essays on the topic, but disappointed in his method of approach which seems to be trying to make a point on how Israel is a victim rather than the jewish people. It seems that their wrongful reputation has followed them to this very day and created an almost equally bad one for muslims.

The crisis between the nations should be solved in a completely political manner, disregarding the religious points of view for all other reasons than the free access to Jerusalem and religious sites in the "Holy Land" (emphasis on Sidon). I believe it is because we focus too much on the religious extremism and little on a political awakening in the middle-east rivalling that of Nasser's Arab Nationalism. It is important that the West on its part tries to accept that the nations in question should be allowed to mature in their own manner, but only on the same grounds as we westerners expect them to respect us.

This may be hard to accept, but we cannot save every innocent jew, muslim, christian or buddhist who is killed in a criminal fashion. We can honour them by making sure it never happens again, and doing so by ending the conflicts which cause these unnecessary deaths. This is why military intervention alone does not work anymore. We cannot suffer this culture penalty as a natural consequence when it can and should be avoided.

6. Amaretti

Agreed. Most of the instability in the middle-east is/was caused by western interference. Pushing western ideals like democracy on a civilisation not ready for it probably causes more problems than it solves.

7. Toby

The crazy thing is that (or I am certain it is) countries like Iran which openly disagree with some of our most prominent representatives of the West would benefit the most from trying the "Qatar-model" where economic cooperation with the West is incorporated into their traditional society. Of course, Qatar is very fortunate to have such an incredible economic growth, but it also stands to gain alot of support from the rest of the world for its fund aiming to support african countries.

God, if I had the chance at going to the ME, I'd make it to Qatar, Saudi-Arabia and Egypt. Just because there is a war in Israel and Palestine I won't even think of being there. The thought of being in mortal peril is of course scaring me shitless, but it is because they wage a political conflict of such a long duration by means of war that I simply won't recognise either as prominent nations of the modern world.

8. Megaharrison Retired Staff

Despite the fact Muslims murder each other on a far more frequent and large scale then Israel can ever dream of, it is blamed for everything by the Islamic states. Thus, it comes as no suprise that the masses of these nations would in turn blame Israel for everything. Seeing as the common person in most of these nations is uneducated, only has access to government controlled media, and is prone to believe conspiracy theories over fact.

So how does this Israelphobia carry over into Europe? Either the large numbers of Middle Eastern immigrants bring it with them into the European countries they migrate into, or in an attempt to appease Islamic terrorists they slowly begin to take on and eventually believe anti-Israeli stances.

9. That NOS Guy

It's an interesting statistical comparison above all else, and I think Amaretti nailed it when he talked about Israel's role as the boogeyman in politics.

However, I have a certain bad feeling that people will take this as carte blance to excuse Israeli heavy tactics in the occupied lands.

10. Ashen-Shugar

Tragicly, history is repeating itself again (ie. Rawanda) while the world stands idly by. I can't believe people are arguing about trivial religious politics while another genocide takes place.