1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

[Pending] 'anime art battle'

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by Gin the Nighty, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gin the Nighty Well-Known Member

really hasn't worked out too well has it?

it's been up and running for over half a year and barely anything's come of it, and from the looks of things literally nothing's happened at all since the end of june

the whole setup is way too convoluted to attract new blood and is actually offputting to people who would otherwise be interested, i actually have no idea why after numerous attempts from art section regulars to reinstate sketch of the week/fortnight in place of art of the month, the latter is replaced by something that's even more drawn out and much less accessible

please do something about it, it isn't difficult to set up a conventional art contest that people would actually want to involve themselves in

Tags:
  2. To this day I have no clue why they tossed the already working system I made and made a whole new section just for the sake of it. It's like they thought they'd do better and it blew on their faces.

3. Lewd Super Moderator

i don't really want to start a discourse with bontakun, he'll throw up some half assed defense and i'll rail against it and i'll get bored before he does and nothing'll come of it

i want results

even tho she's no longer staff (or maybe she is again idek) maybe @Trinity can weigh in

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. Bontakun The Gift that Keeps On Giving Moderator

Well there goes your chance of a dialog for now.

I thought you were getting better at communicating. It's a bit sad to see you've reverted. The theme of the week idea was great. Why stop believing now?

Anyway, it is possible that the only partnerships with talent in this forum have been exhausted. Though they did say the were coming back soon (Underworld Broker and Poutanko).
    I've already changed the format to be as easy as possible for anybody to do anything, apart from being individual. Trinity mentioned being interested in entering too.

Most likely there's no motivation for making big pieces of art. Art of the Month was dying quite badly last time it ran. And Theme of the Week does give an outlet for individual expression.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  6. Gin the Nighty Well-Known Member

7. TriN Well-Known Member Advisor

the thing was when i set this up, if something didn't have enough activity and it was clear it wasn't going anywhere except with the minimal participants, was to dump it and replace it with something else

i literally dumped the newbie of the week three days later because it was convoluted and there were too many kinks to work out

hanging onto things instead of finding different media's to try like caption contests to appeal to the non-artists or stuff that aren't art centric was also a goal but alas

8. TriN Well-Known Member Advisor

i'm not sure why theme of the week is still in art lounge except maybe purely for thematic purposes

a writing contest was also established recently to give new flavor but it also died so it should be shredded instead of dragged out too but it's up to boskov

9. Bontakun The Gift that Keeps On Giving Moderator

Theme of the week is only visual art is why it's still in Art Lounge.

Contest Central works alright as a forum melting pot during seasonal contests, but visual artists still need their own chill pad.

The regular contests were actually supposed to be rotated to other things and not just Graphic, Photo, and AAB. So we could actually turn one of them into Art of the Month again if people are interested enough.

10. TriN Well-Known Member Advisor

you literally repeated what i just said :catthinks

11. Majin Lu Dark Magician Girl Global Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    Hi. I hosted an art contest in the DB section past month, so please, check this thread and tell me what do you think about its rules:

12. Gin the Nighty Well-Known Member

all looks good to me, looks pretty much like the contest format in the old art section which was much better than contest central's current way of doing things

13. Bontakun The Gift that Keeps On Giving Moderator

Oh so that's what you meant by "thematic purposes". Yes, so we're on the same wavelength :amuse

14. Majin Lu Dark Magician Girl Global Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    Thanks. I'm going to discuss about this with Bontakun in the staff thread regarding Art section, so I ask at least a couple of days to come back here with something. Is that okay?

15. Gin the Nighty Well-Known Member

mhm sounds good

16. na good kush

Catdank Faction:
    >tfw names two girls
    >tfw this was one of the slackjaws who pined after nataly in order to get her modded

could u be more of a thirstlord

17. Bontakun The Gift that Keeps On Giving Moderator

>sexist comments

You should check out their amazing AAB entries before you embarrass yourself further.

Or, I don't know, just slack off while these hardworking girls improve their skills. As your opinion becomes less and less relevant it will be easier to ignore you.

18. na good kush

Catdank Faction:
    i knew who they were long before you did

i just think its funnier the only positive things ive ever seen you have to say about anyone concerns women

ur just a sad joke of a mod and uve effectively neutered the section u governed with ur own incompetence

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Bontakun The Gift that Keeps On Giving Moderator

You seem awfully preoccupied with genders. You should just look at people for what they're worth.

20. Gin the Nighty Well-Known Member

idk how you can be so passive aggressive and incapable of taking constructive (which my first post was) criticism and think you can lecture me about my communication skills

the unprofessional way you're responding now is precisely why i desired no discourse with you tbh

21. Gin the Nighty Well-Known Member

honestly, i want to play nice, i really do, but the fact is that you've fucked up and you just have to admit it

i'm not going to go out of my way to be a dick to you as you seem to think i am, but under you, the contest section has crumbled into dust, just as i predicted

ane was a very poor mod, but at the very least she stuck to conventions that were known to work (for the most part); numbers were dwindling towards the end, which is why it needed some reinvigoration from someone who actually knew what they were doing, which quite frankly wasn't you

this is why i opposed your appointment from the very beginning, and this is why i don't have much patience for dealing with you - your general poor vision for the section coupled with your passive aggressive damage control mode the moment you see anything negative is something i want nothing to do with

majin lu's model for the dbz contest looked good to me, i strongly suggest discussing going more in that direction for this section

i'm out

22. Bontakun The Gift that Keeps On Giving Moderator

So basically you also know that the conventions were not enough and we needed to reinvigorate the contests. And Majin Lu's DBZ contest format is a good way to go.

Sure, that's sound advice.

23. Brian           

I dunno wtf that is so I gave up on the art contest in general

24. Bontakun The Gift that Keeps On Giving Moderator

So in conclusion, AAB season three will go ahead as there are crews working on their entries.

We will also host a more grassroots contest after Christmas, and we could use the format more often if activity is high.

25. Bontakun The Gift that Keeps On Giving Moderator

Yeah AAB is meant to be for artists who want a challenge. We had some damned impressive results, but like Gina said, it isn't good for encouraging new artists.

Now that you mention it, I had some other micro-contest ideas I wanted to try out in the Art Lounge, so thanks for the feedback!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  26. Majin Lu Dark Magician Girl Global Moderator

Flag:
    Brazil
    @Senjougahara Hitagi I think you and other members will like it, I added something more and it will make it more interesting, I guess. About it being after Christmas, it is because we have other events planned for next month, so I hope you can understand that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.