1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Series that Drastically Deviated From their Source Manga (will contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by DemonDragonJ, Mar 18, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Many manga series are adapted into anime series, and, usually, those anime series follow the manga fairly faithfully; however, there have been several occasions in which the anime adaptation deviated very drastically from the source manga. I am not referring to simply filler arcs, which only temporarily stop the canonical story, but to incidents in which an entirely new ending was written for the story. Obviously, this thread will contain spoilers.

I myself have followed several anime series that deviated drastically from their source manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Karin, Chrono Crusade, and the first animated adaptation of Hellsing; I shall presume that the reason each anime series deviated from the manga was because the manga was still running, and the writers of the anime were not willing to wait for the manga to get sufficiently far ahead that the anime series would not need to have filler arcs. None the anime-only storylines could equal the original manga storylines, but some were not terrible in their own right.

What does everyone else say about this subject? What are some anime series that you have followed that deviated drastically from their source manga?

Tags:
  2. [S-A-F] Milfhunter

I dunno, I kinda prefer the humonculi's origins from the first fma anime more than what arakawa did with them in the manga later.

3. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Yes, I did, also, and I even made a thread about elements of the 2003 series that I liked.

4. Mider T VM Rapist

Any anime that passed it's source material.

5. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

That is obvious, but I was hoping that users here could name some specific examples.

6. [S-A-F] Milfhunter

Well Rerouni Kenshin anime ends very differently from the manga. The tv series has a ton of filler after the kyoto arc and just kinda ends out of nowhere with the characters chilling and living their lives. But then they came back with those OVAs a few years later that had a very tragic ending to Kenshin and Kaoru that never happened in the actual manga.

Outside of the great flashback OVAs of Kenshin's past I would have been fine with the anime just leaving well enough alone after the last tv episode and not the really depressing route they decided to take with those last two OVAs. Since they made it apparent they were never going to animate the last arc in the manga.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  7. [S-A-F] Milfhunter

Soul Eater anime also really deviated from the manga around the halfway point just like FMA's first anime. Both were done by the same anime team and staff too I think which makes you wonder why these guys always went the anime original ending route with their projects instead of just taking a break and continuing the series when there's more new content to animate from the manga. At least we have Brotherhood to make up for FMA but sadly can't say the same for Soul Eater.

Gintama anime nearly went this route with the 2nd movie kinda being a finale for the anime while the manga was/is still going. Luckily the studio was nice enough to continue the series later on after seeing how well the movie did. Now the anime is currently animating the final arc(about to go on a short break until July)while the manga finishes up the story finally.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. Imagine Real nibba

Case by case basis. Sometimes it works out and you get something good like Trigun but other times it doesn't and you get something like Samurai Deeper Kyo.

9. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

I almost forgot about Trigun, as it also deviated from its source manga (which I have read only partially at this time).

10. Yagami1211 The Mad Dog of Shimano !

GTO ! Removes half of the story. Have Onizuka moves out of japan at the end, even though he's still teacher in the same school in the manga. Characters removed ... etc ... The first half is somewhat faithful to the manga though.

11. Morglay .

Soul Eater's anime had a courage punch for the big bad too. :skully

12. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Claymore 's anime goes into dumb anime only nonsense at Chapter/Scene 55 or Episode 21. Clare somehow got a friendship power that allowed her to overcome Priscilla. The stupidity of the finale ruins Clare by getting rid of her reasoning for ever becoming a warrior in the first place, her revenge.

Akame Ga Kill enters anime only with Episode 19, where they combine two major separate events into one big thing (It was half assed of course). After episode 19, they show had characters drop off like flies in every episode as well as skipped a major arc that set up development for Wave & Kurome. No one in the show developed at all. Like Claymore, the anime's version of the final battle was won via asspull (Incursio evolving for no reason and Akame moving while frozen in time.)

13. Kuzehiko

Sweden
    Erased
    FMA 2003
    Yu-Gi-Oh! DM
    Elfen Lied
    Tokyo Ghoul

14. Batzzaro29 Well-Known Member