1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Ann Rice's "Interview With The Vampire"

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by jkingler, Nov 7, 2005.

1. jkingler

I am amazed that nobody has replied to this thread!

How can you not like Lestat? He is possibly the most charismatic and egocentric eccentric that I have ever encountered in print!

And then there are all of the other vampires. Louis and Armand and Marius and Quinn and Talbot and Pandora and The Twins. ;) Sure, the series can be schlocky at times, but it is one of the more enthralling series I have come to be addicted to over the years :nod:

I have read all of the Vampire Chronicles and all of the books dealing with the Mayfair Witches to date, and I have been in dire need of more for quite some time.

I have even read Servant of the Bones, The Mummy, and every other supernatural book published by Anne Rice in order to bide my time :laugh

Tags:
  2. abfluvver

. . .
    I think my icon sums up my opinions on Anne Rice. She is quite clearly batshit insane and has an entitlement complex the size of her fanbase.

And Lestat is the biggest Mary Sue I've ever read.

3. jkingler

I agree with everything you said. Anne Rice is most definitely unstable and Lestat is assuredly a tool for wish-fulfillment. I would even go so far as to say that Rice's work is cheaper and pulpier than Dumas'.

Nonetheless, I am a huge fan both the Vampire and Witch series and I will be very happy to read the next installment of each, whenever they happen to be published.

4. abfluvver

I'm pretty sure she's done with the Chronicles.

Her newest book is a biography of Jesus.
    I wonder if Lestat makes an appearance, since he went back and time and met him in the Chronicles, after all.

5. jkingler

I hope she isn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is. She seems a lot more invested in the Mayfair Witches and their stories lately, so I can imagine that she might focus her energies there for a while, whenever she gets back into her occult mode.
    I am not sure how to respond to that news. :laugh I hope she doesn't go full-on Mel Gibson on us. He really went over the deep end after The Passion, and she is already straddling the edge of her limited sanity.

I surely won't buy her Jesus book, yet the combination of Anne Rice and Jesus is very...interesting. I may just have to read it, despite feeling very confused about this latest development. :S
    If Lestat makes a cameo, then she has most definitely lost her damn mind (and I will DEFINITELY read the book :laugh).

6. abfluvver

^ Jesus book.

I'm waiting for Rice herself to show up in the review section. Last time one of her books was released and people started giving her bad reviews, she went on Amazon.com and incoherently typed a rebuttal to everyone who didn't like it essentially saying that they were wrong, because she is amazing. It was really funny.

7. jkingler

This review actually had me laughing out loud:
    And this review was an interesting read:
    To focus on the least significant part of this review: Who are these new and better writers who focus on vampire erotica? Consider me interested. :laugh

Note: If the reviewer was referring to Charlaine Harris, I've already discovered her. I am a fan, and I am hooked. Sookie Stackhouse (another Mary Sue, I suppose) currently has my girlfriend and I both in thrall.

*goes off to make a Sookie Stackhouse thread*

8. martryn

Personal opinion, j, don't kill me for it.

I read Anne Rice up to the Bodynsatcher one. My father was always recommending reading Interview, and I loved the movie (Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Kirsten Dunst!) so I went ahead and read the book. Personally, a great read. Really what I had been hoping for. Then I read Lestat. The rock star bullshit was sorta lame, but the story behind it all was still good. Then I read the Queen of the Damned. Interesting, yes, and still viable. I loved the story of the creation of the Vampires and then seeing all the old vampires and what have you. Really cool.

But then Lestat got uber. He became a God. And once that happened, I couldn't identify with him. I read the Bodysnatcher one hoping that he'd die or become less cool, and he didn't. So I stopped there. I always liked Louis more than Lestat, and when Lestat became the primary focus... it just became lame. I don't feel like reading the stories of the past of all the other old vampires now. What's the point? Lestat owns them all in the end. They don't have any cool secrets that I wanted to have revealed in the novels. I spit on Anne Rice now.

For all my Vampire needs, I read the Dhampir series. Its fantasy, and is more adventure than anything else, but at least the story is hella interesting (a vampire had a half-vampire child whose sole purpose is to fight vampires... but what vampire would seriously want to create a child to destroy his own kind?). That series was actually recommended to me by a friend of mine who was in love with Anne Rice but found something lacking in reading her.

EDIT: How the fuck do you have the first post in here? Shouldn't your name be the one that appears as the thread started since you have the 1st post. That's the way it worked when I got the first post in the Divisions FC.

9. jkingler

Ok, no killing.

*Beats martryn, but not irrevocably so*

It was a great book, no doubt about it, but I still prefer the movie to the book. It was a great adaptation, and the changes that were made to present it on screen were good changes, I thought. Then again, I saw the movie before I read the book, so I am biased that way. :p I must say, Tom Cruise was perfect as Lestat, Kirsten Dunst has never performed half as well as she did in Interview, and Brad Pitt was a convincing Louis. It's a shame that Queen of the Damned wasn't given a similar treatment. I refuse to even watch it because of all the bad things I have heard. :S

The rockstar bit WAS a bit weak, but when you think about it, vampires WOULD make great rockstars. :laugh But that wasn't what I loved about Lestat. What really got me into that book was Lestat's creation, his past, and the way that his character developed.
    Yeah, Lestat is definitely the Goku of Rice's vampire universe, even if he acts more like Vegeta. Overpowered Lestat is a lot harder to like and relate to, but he still has enough charisma that I will read anything with him in it.

My major gripe is that the books are doing less and less of the sort of soul-searching that originally had me loving this series...and they are doing more and more of the "what's up with religion?" thing that I hope this Jesus book will get out of Rice's system. Or if it won't get it out of her system, maybe she'll start the Jesus and the Apostles Chronicles. :p Just so long as she phases all the Jesus stuff out of the books. I mean, Marius pre-dates Jesus. She could always do more books about the older vampires...

Based on what you seem to dislike, if I were you, I would steer clear of any of the other books where Lestat is the protagonist, especially Memnoch the Devil. But don't spit on her literary corpse just yet. At least read Blackwood Farm. That, in my opinion, is her best Vampire book. Lestat is in it, but only in a supporting role (which is where he belongs now, since his story has nowhere left to go, except space XD). I love that book to pieces.

Quinn, the main character, is a very interesting person aside from being a vampire. Also, Blackwood Farm, his place of residence, is so well described that this book's ambience is palpable.

Here is a link to descriptions and reviews of Blackwood Farm:

Spoiler: About that Dhampir series
    Care to provide me a link? I may have to put that on my wishlist and check it out. :-D Also, if you made a thread about the book, you might bring it to others' attention and do a good thing for this section :thumbs
    When I first came into this thread, it was hollow inside. Don't know why. It was messed up before I got here. When I posted a reply to the topic, I got the first post...:headscrat

10. martryn

Yeah, psychics and stuff? Lame. I lost all faith. Although the dog was cute.

Will do.

Wow, that's fucking weird. I could have sworn that I posted in this thread before. Oh well.

11. Catatonik

I gave up on Anne Rice a long time ago, though I still like the Mummy (Or Ramses the Damned).

But really, her writing (the earlier non-erotica stuff) was catchy and flowed well, now it's bland and riding on it's own glory.

12. jkingler

That was Tale of the Body Thief, if I'm not mistaken. That was the weakest book, aside from Memnoch, IMO. Still, it held my interest until the end, even despite Lestat's fling with the old nun :S

@Cata: I totally agree, with the exception of Blackwood Farm. If you've read it and disliked it, feel free to disagree. If you havemn't read it, give it a chance--it is a damn good read.

That was a really, really fun story. I wish that was made into a movie instead of the shitty Brendon Fraser Mummy that I wish was never made :/

13. martryn

I really like the Brendan Frasier version of the Mummy. It was funny.

14. jkingler

It was OK, but it's one of those movies with plot holes that slowly corrode my impression of the movie, e.g. Independence Day. Both movies struck me as really fun at first, because their entertainment values were both very, VERY high...but after a while I kept remembering all the flaws and I ruined the movies for myself :sad

*Alien computers should NOT be able to contract Mac viruses, binary or not :rant*

Ahem...Also: the Anne Rice version would actually make an excellent and highly entertaining movie, if adapted well. If the Fraser version were never made, that would be more likely, and I would be happier for it :amuse

15. Windy

I kinda liked Interview, though it was written in an annoying way... The vampire Lestat was nice in some parts and dumb in others, and I really disliked queen of the damned (Way over the top, and really annoying historical inaccuracies) And I didn't really like the Body thief and the Armand book (Shota con :S), and some other stuff by her that I read.

Blackwood farm was really nice though. :p But I didn't dig the hermaphrodite vampire thing. XD Could have been better if it was just a male... XP But other than that it was a nice book... No godlike powers and such.

The reason I liked Interview and only some of the vampire Lestat was that it wasn't too over the top. XP It was nice, gothic vampire fiction... But when she started giving Lestat all those god like powers, and then with the whole history and religion thing, well... It got pretty stupid.

16. acidzerox

I read Interview in a few days. It's taken me three years to complete Lestat. I start it, loose interest and pick it up a few monthes later and forget what has happened so I start all over again. By the time I realize "hey I've read this" I loose interest again. She's an alright writter, and she gives me my fix when it comes to vampire literature but that's about it.