1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Anyone else sick of Shounen fights besides me?

Discussion in 'Meta Battledome' started by Giovanni Rild, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Giovanni Rild

It's the same repetitive shit. Guys in Shounen either vanishes, shoot energy, hold some sort of special power which always involves giving him a benefit in combat.

What about us non-shounen fans who like the actual skill in combat being displayed?

I have a hobby of studying ancient combat, swordplay and Martial Arts in particular. How it was done, the skill it took to use a longbow or a bastard sword.

In short, I like my combat to be realistic in a manga. I liked Rock Lee, Sasuke's and Neji's fight because it had style, not the non-nonsensical thing's Luffy and Goku does.

And it pisses me off when these type of fights are shat upon because they lack planetbusters and rubber.

Avatar bending styles were made off of actual martial arts and Toph's style was made off of Mantis Kung Fu. Avatar's fights are very intense and enjoyable

Yet they are shat upon because they are not shounen.

Samurai Champloo and Samurai OVA Blows most away in combat. As realistic as it gets

Yet they are shat upon because they are not shounen.

It seems like people only go the bells and whistles.

Tags:
  2. mystictrunks

I enjoy realistic fights, with some over the top stuff ala Afro Samurai and such. In fact, I love sword combat to the nth degree.

I also enjoy mecha, but not the overly stylized Gundam type designs. The big bulky ones.

3. Code

Not all Shounen are unrealistic. Plenty have actual 'skill' in combat displayed, though what you displayed could also be used 'skillfully.' Those things are also present in mangas targetted at other age groups.

Though Goku's fights for the most part (at least in the first half of the series), seem a lot more realistic than Naruto and Sasuke's fights.

There's also plenty of fights with non-Shounen characters in the battledom.

4. Tuxx

Sad to say but it all depends on the budget and who it was directed by. Bigger budget = better scenes of the fight and how in-depth it is.

Realism fights and over the top action are always more enjoyable to watch. Give a sense of realism and in our minds more acceptable. While other typical shounen do the usual fight scenes.

Usually though pseudo-anime/manga or shows with a sense of hip are better at it

Though there are some exceptions I suppose.

5. Scorpio3.14

Actually I am pretty sure both Samurai Champloo and Ruronei Kenshin (Samurai X) are Shounen. As Code pointed out, there are a lot of Shounen series that have relatively realistic fighting in it. Although you have a point that many of the Battledome popular shounen series are the unrealistic combat types. I'm just saying you shouldn't stereotype "shounen" as unrealistic :p

6. Giovanni Rild

I'm sure Samurai Champloo and Ruronei Kenshin (Samurai X) are senin. And I apologize.

7. Tuxx

I think theres only a handful of shows I know that would fit the realistic combat category, and not the vanish, point-shot, etc elements >_>

Samurai X, Samurai Champloo, Seven Samurai, Cowboy Bebpop, Claymore, Avatar, Afro Samurai, R.o.D., Boondocks,:p, Teen Titans(sometimes), JL(JLU), Naruto... a few others maybe?

8. Scorpio3.14

Except the fact that they are both Shounen :huh

Kenshin was even published in Weekly Shounen Jump, the most popular shounen magazine out there.

9. Giovanni Rild

The Japanese word for boy. Shounen also defines the manga and anime titles that are specifically created for young boys. These works are often filled with lots of action, fantasy adventure, and giant robots.

10. mystictrunks

Kenshin is shounen, it was in shonen jump for it's whole run, and it's listed as shonen on several sites like manga pimp.

It's shonen in the same vein as JJBA, a bit mature at time but still aimed at the younger teenage boy market.

11. Giovanni Rild

Well I'll concede on that then. Seems a bit gory and mature to be Shounen.

12. mystictrunks

SJ always has a couple of series like Kenshin going on. They're just never quite that popular.

13. Yak

That's not the condition for being Seinen, though. Bastard!! is ultra gory and has even borderline hentai, yet it was published as a Shonen manga in Shonen Jump for many years.

14. Giovanni Rild

I'm surprised that Ranma is considered Shounen.

It being aimed towards a older audience is.

15. mystictrunks

I think SJ is for ages 12ish - 16ish so that explains the difference in subject matter.

16. Squigi

Kenshin battles have got to be one of the most realistic battles I've ever seen. I'm sure Rurouni Kenshin's fight explains all the sword fighting styles throughout the series.

*Cough* anywayz, I like all fights. As long as the story is good enough to keep one reading, I dont mind the unrealistic fight scenes at all =). If you don't like those anime/manga, you might as well watch boxing or UFC shows on TV.

17. Giovanni Rild

You know what I'm saying. Well mabey you don't. There is no combat in those manga.

There is PnJ, jobbing and My power level is higher than yours, therefor I win.

18. Amatsu

Aren't Avatar fights just like "shounen" fights? Except with better Choreography?

19. Squigi

haha well if you want to be "satisfied" Go watch some Tenjou Tenge. <3 love the battles XD its not shonen though =P

And what do you mean there's no combat in those manga? I say, shonen fights are much better than dc/marvel fights. Especially One Piece. The artist/creator of OP put more depth and perspective in his fight scenes to make them look super strong and fast XD. And besides, those battles maybe unrealistic, but its MUCH more entertaining.

20. Giovanni Rild

21. Amatsu

Doesn't seem all that different to me. You'd probably see the same type of fighting in Avatar through quite a few shounen's. Can't list them off the top of my head, but I wouldn't say that Avatar's fights are revolutionary.

22. Orion

Meh I wouldnt say avatar is completely out of shonen-esque fighting but its preety far imo.

23. Endless Mike

Kenshin is a very good manga, but as for battledome application, the characters aren't really that strong. The best of them can hang with Pre - Timeskip Naruto characters.

24. Scorpio3.14

Just to let you know, in Japan Avatar would be considered a Shounen. You are again confusing the word Shounen with stereotypical shounens. Avatar is an animated show aimed towards young/preteen boys which in Japan would make it a Shounen. To say Avatar is superior to Shounen dosn't make sense. You can say its better then most shounen, but I don't see how it can be better then a whole genre to which it can technically be considered a part of.

25. Aokiji

Cowboy bebop and Samurai Champloo have nice fights IMO.

26. Fenix

The fight between Spike and Mad whatever guy with hat is what got me into Cowboy Bebop :p

On a completely unrelated matter: I recently read in a thread that Rild is black and my world is completely upside down now. I fee like I've never visited Narutofan before ever lol jk~

Personally, I don't think it's the style of fighting that's used in most shounen series that bores me, but the fact that it's always the same people. Then again those same people are usually the ones with the most established strength and limits so its easier to talk about them.

If someone just throwout 2 unknown chars from 2 obscure series who have been in maybe 2 short fights total, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

27. Dio Brando

You're not comparing Avatar to Samurai Champloo are you? :s Avatar fights aren't that good.

Oh and Shonen is a really diverse genre. (since pretty much everybody reads shonen). It's like saying you hate rock.

28. ~Shin~

Not all shounen fights are just *punch punch kick kick*.

And on the example of using DBZ, you have to understand that when DBZ first started it invented the *punch kick punch kick throw ki blast* system.

29. Pipboy

Prince of Tennis is shounen. HnI is shonen, neon genesis is technically shounen. Avatar is shounen to a T even if its never been to japan. The problem is the shonen you watch/read not the genre.

30. Aokiji

Are you talking about that red eyes guy, who got effortlessly pwned by Spike? One of my favourite fight scenes. :nod