1. Halloween Drawing Contest is happening now!
    drawing contest 04
    Click [HERE] to join up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Think your debating skills are the best around? Want to prove that your know what your talking about? Then come and join us for a Tournament and show your peers how to really debate.
    OBD Tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone read Anne Rice's Vampires Chronicles ?

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by vervex, Apr 14, 2005.

1. vervex

Anne Rice's Vampires Chronicles
    I'm myself a big fan of Anne Rice's vampires. I guess I'm not the only one who reads her books here, so I wanted to know the other vampires lovers, which book they prefer, why, and their favorite characters. Feel free to state your opinion about her novels ;)

Tags:
  2. martryn

I read the first four books in the series, but I hated the fourth book. Lestat was so uncool. And he just got way too powerful. I can't read them anymore. I swear, they should have stopped on the third book. It had a nice ending to it. Or she should have been content with just the one. It was great.

3. Man of a Thousand Jutsus

I've read the first two, Interview with a Vampire and was the second one Lestat? I can't remember the name of the second

4. MikaeruNoJutsu

Stop at queen of the damned if you are reading the series. I hate how she totally started to write like shit when her son came out and she went back to church and stuff.... Like most of the characters were REALLY gay, then all of a sudden everyone starts getting paired up with girls and stuff... It was just stupid, you don't spend like hundreds of years liking boys only to sudden become straight...

I hope they never try and make another one of her books into a movie again. Anyone else just want to kill the script writer on queen of the damned? They even made the fucking violen player a girl for god's sake.

5. OniTasku

I loved the first book. The second was pretty good, but the third...meh....I can't really comment on that.

6. Orihime

I don'treally follow the books religiously, but I pick them up from time and time, depending on my mood. The last book I remember reading by Anne Rice is Queen of the Damned. :3

7. vervex

martryn: I personaly didn't like the ending of the 4th book. I thought it sucked. I loved the whole story and like it though. Only the ending of the 4th and the 5th suck, in my opinion. I like the other books :)

Mikaeru: Yeah ! The movie was awful lol ;) It's part of my top 5 worst movies I've ever seen !

I don't know what you didn't like in the Queen of the Damned but it was my favorite of the whole chronicles, followed by The Vampire Lestat, Blood and Gold and The Vampire Armand.

8. MikaeruNoJutsu

The 1st two on your list are my top two as well... I believe that they were the best books in the series and she won't be able to top herself, or even regain her lost writing ability.

9. vervex

Yes... I liked some of her new novels though, such as Marius and Armand. But what happened for her to lose a part of her talent like this, between the 3rd and the 4th book ? I'd like to know, personaly...

10. Neon

My middle name is Lestat, no joke. My mom is a HUGE fan even runs a site on it :S

Read the first 3 myself, found them OK

11. jkingler

The Vampire Lestat and Blackwood Farm are my favorites. Anne Rice is great, even if Vittorio was complete and utter schlock :laugh

I am actually a huge fan of the Mayfair Witches books as well. I went out and read Great Expectations only because Michael loves it so much :p

And aside from those series, Servant of the Bones and The Mummy are really good, too :thumbs

Unfortunately, I have been up to date on Anne Rice books for too long. I want the new book now! *jkingler throws a book nerd tantrum*

12. SDF1

Vittorio WAS utter dreck, though I rather liked Marius and Armand. The Mummy one (Ramses the Damned! or something) was surprisingly good as well.

I think a lot of people have issue with the books because they try to shoehorn these ultimately sexless, inhuman creatures into some manner of sexual orientation. Ruins a lot of the story if you can't wrap your mind around a sexless creature that runs around in what *used* to be a gender-based shell.

Oh, and Memnoch the Devil was just strange.

13. yeah i read Interview with the Vampire and Lestat, couldnt read the other novels cuz it got kinda boring. The Lestat novel was my fav.

14. jkingler

Memnoch was strange, but I really liked it. I can see very much hating it if you are religious, since it asserts a lot of assumptions, but it was a fun and interesting and philosophically intrguing read, IMO. Not everyone's cup o' tea, though, I am sure.

15. zionforsell

Ok, I know you guys may jump on me and tear me apart but just know I mean no offense, alright?

I read The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned from the Vampire Chronicles. But honestly, I think they suck. (Wait wait, I knowww. I knowwww!!!) Here is the deal: her vampire books really don't focus on anything. Vampires are fascinating creatures but I don't think she actually introduced something new about them. Moreover, I found her books dragging on and on and focus on uneccessary details. The conversations between characters are unreasonably long and dramatic. The emotional state of a character jumps up and down like rabit. It seems like Vampires are mad psychotic human made into an immortal. Some of the legends are actually ridiculous as well. Lestat is hungry for love yet he also thinks he doesn't deserve it. She sure brought up a great contrast but it was poorly developed. The novel is not DEEP enough. It concentrates TOO much on fantasy that the tone of the character is always dreamy, floating, switching back and forth. It is like you read about their surface thought but never really know what the heck is going on!!! And she wasted too many pages repeating the same thing and too many lines describing how beautifull a vampire is. All of the vampire have TRAGIC life yet none of them really show the how miserable it really is. She showed they went mad but why? No answer. Sorry to say but I feel like I was reading thoughts of a bunch of freaks. It doesn't give vampires human characteristic. It only inspires more the fantasy about vampire.

I know I was being very harsh and offending. Please I am a reader. I say what I really feel. I do think they have fairly good literature. But I don't think they r THAT good that everyone is praising them. It is all I think. The Queen of the Damned movie is not a great movie. But it is interesting as least. (Honestly, I prefer the way they portrait the characters!) The reason it disappointed everyone is that everyone EXPECTS it to be like the book. And truly, if that is an adaptation of a book, it is the worst ever! But counting as an original movie? Well, it is one of the best vampire movie we have these days. So many vampire movies are stupid and second class.

16. MurasakiNeko

I have most of the Vampire Chronicles except for the one book that started it all
    The Interview with the Vampire ^ ^ Anne Rice's books are very good but the thing is that in most of her novels she tends to write about what she mostly feels... in every book in the Vampire Chronicles there is always that theme of Not really changing over time and also of the feeling of the pain of wanting to be with someone and at the same time you don't..... but all in all I'm a huge fan of her work

17. Massacre

ive read interview with a vampire,the vampire lestat,the queen of the damned,the tale of the body thief,memnoch the devil and merrick.

im currently readin blackwood farm and i already have blood canticle.

18. Danse

iv read Interview with a vampire and Queen of the damned
    but i read them a long time ago so i cant remember what happend in them alot lol

19. Mojo

I've read the first 3 books. I like them. But I like her other series better.

20. Red

I read vampire lestat and queen of the damned, but I missed the others.

21. blazed_Shuriken

Read a couple of the later ones up until Blackwood farm.
    Have been dieing to read the rest of the series, but lack of decent income can be a bitch sometimes.:cry

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  22. vervex

So... I'm officially done with Anne Rice's vampires chronicles. She said it was the end.... *hides in a closet and cries* T__T

23. Fonster Mox

I was a fan of the first few, I really lost interest after Queen of the Damned. I do love the way Rice breaks off into a big history about each character, it's gives a sense of completeness to each story, although means the main plot sometimes progresses quite slowly.

24. martryn

I might have to pick the series up again. I'm interested in learning more about vampires like Khayman and other really old ones. I find them the most intriguing.

25. Beau Logan

Yeah, I've read a few. Anne Rice is the topic of my current english term paper. So...I guess I'm a fan? o-o

26. Toomin

Wow, it's been a while since I read the books, but I'll have a go. I was totally engrossed with the first book, mostly because I had never read anything like it before. I couldn't read The Vampire Armand (yeah, I read these out of order) because of the gay stuff, it just wasn't for me, but I read Blood Canticle, which I liked a lot mostly because Lestat was narrating. :p I wanna read The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned though.

27. Dattebayo-chan

Flag:
    Sweden
    Hmmm, I can agree on the Interview with Vampire, the Vampire Lestat, and the Queen of the Damned are the best. However, I like the other books too, just not as much.

28. Gaawa-chan

Ah, I read "Interview With a Vampire."
    It was good.
    I saw the movie, too... it was pretty good for a screen adaption.

29. Dattebayo-chan

Flag:
    Sweden
    Yeah, I think so too. Anne Rice worked with it herself. However, the only thing that bothers me is that they had rewritten the end for the movie. But it was really good.

30. Sura

I've read many books of Anne Rice,Interview with the Vampire,Lestat,The Queen of the Damned,Tale of the Body Thief,Memnoch the Devil,plus Vittorio and Pandora,and I'd like tu buy now Armand (I don't know it's English title).I've also read the Mayfair Chronicles and The Servant of the Bones.I'm glad that Lestat goes to sleep now.He was really boring in the last two books,and sometimes annoying,too,when he cried more than my little sister...But I fell in love with New Orleans,while I was reading her books.I wonder if it's really so beautiful as it's written in that books.
    BTW,is she still writing?I don't know if she wrote something after Blackwood Farm(or which was her last book...).