1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Contest Central Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Polls close Thursday, September the 19th at 10:05pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're having technical difficulties with regards to support tickets.
    Please refrain from starting any new tickets for now. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

AoT is DN, FMA etc. level Greatness

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Wosu, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Lord Valgaav

HxH only gets serious during the Chimera Arc. And even then its a simple matter of obvious good vs obvious evil. There aren't two sides to the story that would make us think the antagonists are justified like in AoT.

There are few consequences in HxH. Gon sacrifices his nen and life to defeat Pitou, but he's able to get it all back. Hisoka loses limbs, gets those back. Chrollo can't use nen and isn't allowed to see the other Spiders, that stops being the case. It makes situations seem less serious when we know that somehow things will work out in the end.

That's one of the things I always loved about series like JJBA and hated about Dragonball. When sla beloved character in JoJo dies, they're gone. So tensions are high when they're in deadly situations. But in DB, we have dragon balls, so who cares if everyone on the planet gets killed?

So my whole point is that nothing sets HxH apart from your standard shonen, except that its written much better. Whereas series like FMA, AoT, and DN are of a more mature level, and could easily fit into the seinen genre.

2. Jackalinthebox

Yeah I pretty much disagree with everything you’ve said in this first paragraph

Gon has been essentially sidelined for 70+ chapters and is still Nenless after over a year in series, we still don’t know the full story with Hisoka’s condition after the fight, it was known that that was going to happen for years & was resolved fine. You act like Mustang didn’t go blind just to get his vision back only a handful of chapters later & that Al didn’t sacrifice himself only to get brought back almost immediately after. You’re honestly nitpicking. These things don’t negate the serious themes & tones the series establish

Im not following the notion of HxH being a good deal less serious & mature

3. Lord Valgaav

:catshrug agree to disagree

4. Wosu

FMA and DN are both very Shonen. AoT the only thing that reaches Seinen level Gore...
    HxH pretty Seinen-like too, especially in Chimaera ant arc. HxH is incredibly mature and also has great comedy...

I don't really see your point..

5. Atlantic Storm Advisor

I don't think Death Note was as good as Full Metal Alchemist because of my own personal tastes and its comparatively weaker second half, so they aren't really on the same 'level' for me. The same goes for Attack on Titan, albeit to a lesser extent. If you mean in terms of how iconic they are to the (mainstream) anime industry, then I'd agree that Attack on Titan definitely reached their level, if not outright surpassed it.

6. Draco Bolton

7. Lord Valgaav

Death Note is the least shonen of the three. How can you call it "very" shonen?

8. Bluebeard

Attack on Titan is nothing but greatness.

Commander Erwin is one of the best written characters I've seen in Anime/Manga.

9. Spider-Man

As much as I wanted to like Berserk, the story went downhill after Golden Age. Everything became stagnant and nothing interesting happens anymore. Guts and his crew just don't have the charisma to be entertaining and the story itself is stuck in endless filler. Not to mention Miura's artwork is slowly getting worse to the point that it's laughable, and he went digital which makes it look even more awful.

10. Roƅ

Flag:
    Germany

HxH gets serious plenty of times. Just because the world isn't on the brink of destruction in every arc doesn't mean that it doesn't.

And of course the Chimera Ants were the "obvious" evil and the the MC's were the "obvious good", but the character progression for Gon and Meruem definitely had the potential to question that within the HxH world.

Meme'ing aside, I don't think anything will really top FMAB. It has to be the most well-rounded "perfect" anime there is, but HxH is definitely a cut above practically every other mainstream Shounen. I do agree that AoT and DN are more Seinen-like, but HxH is definitely a cut above most other Shounen in that regard.

11. Cord Advisor

1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    2. Shingeki no Kyojin
    3. Death Note

Is how I'd rank them in terms of storytelling, though I believe they are all equally popular.

12. Lord Valgaav

So am I the only one who thinks the original FMA was better than Brotherhood?

13. Wosu

That's true, I agree... but FMAB was very shonen. It just wasn't "Designed to go on forever" type Shonen. It knew what it wanted to do.

14. Roƅ

Flag:
    Germany

Yes, you're the only one with taste this bad.

15. Lord Valgaav

Bad? How long has it been since you've seen the original? As great as Brotherhood was, it's original version was even darker. So while maybe not better per se, I liked it over Brotherhood.

16. Lord Valgaav

I can agree with this to an extent.

17. Roƅ

Flag:
    Germany

Last time I saw FMA was earlier this year. I've seen FMAB like 4 times, last time was around 1.5 years ago.

And though I think both explore some very dark themes, I suppose a few actual scenes in FMA were darker. Fair enough, about your last statement.

18. Lord Valgaav

:handshake

19. Grimm6Jack

Flag:
    Portugal
    In terms or storytelling, I doubt there's ever going to be a Shounen as good as FMA... as someone stated before, the current generation of Shounen are failed mostly hype.

But I do find SnK more engaging to watch, especially the anime, it's just my preference. And I would rate HxH even higher. Death Note, while very good, I still won't put it in the same league as FMA, SnK and HxH.