1. cafecontest
    Voting is live in the Cafe Banner Contest!
    Poll closes on Sep 20, 2020 at 1:37 AM ET.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Appercating/Listening To An Album Fully, Now An Urban Myth?

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by mow, Jun 29, 2005.

1. mow

Personally, I think CDs and MP3 players have ruined the concept of "listening to music fully".

In the good old anicent days; with LPs (cassettes) and Vynil records, it was rather hard not to listen to an album fully. That meant bands had to create A+ materail from start to finish, if they hoped to have someone bother to buy or listen to their records. If they didnt, the album would be considered a failed effort by the band.

Nowadays, thank to CDs and mp3 players, most of the albums out there are mainly consisting of 2 tracks which are hits and popular, while the rest of the album is merely a filler. That means an album usually has 9-10 average (at best) songs.

Thanks to the function Skip, most people simply float by the fillers and listen to the hits (and sometimes they have every right to do so).

another problem with cds, is the fact they allow up to 80 minutes of music, whil LPs tended to have a max of 50. This leads a band to not pick the best of their work to include in the album. They now have the ability to jam pack everything into the record, both good and bad material. Why bother? People will skip and listen to the hits only anyhow. and they will still pay for a full record.

Ofcourse bashing CDs and MP3s is rather gfutile and silly. there is now way in hell I could be able to sustain a collection if it wasnt for mp3s. But, do you agree/disagree with the fact these features can lead to a downfall in musical essence & quality?

Discuss.

Tags:
  2. Mineko-Iwasa

I do agree with it in some points.
    That may be one of the reasons why pple don't buy cds but "steal" them from the net. i mean why should one buy a cd with 3 good songs and the rest is crap if you have the possibility to get the song you want throug net?

BUT it all depend on the bands and artists. there are the ones who live for the music and use well the fact that they have 80 mins on a cd to fill with music.
    others just want to sell records and try to produce 3 to 4 good songs and the rest are some musicaly uninteressting tracks.
    one has to say that it depends also on the record label. they wont to sell as many records as they can. for that all they need is one to two hits not more.

conculsion, it is not only the fault of the cds and mp3 files.

3. sunshine and gasoline

The end of mainstream music maybe, but I disagree.

Thanks to mp3, music is slowly becoming more a net thing and more good music can be spread, I think twenty years ago it would have been impossible for bands like GYBE to spread.

But thanks for the internet, even unknown bands can be spread if they are good. I see great hope in mp3, that one day it will overtake MTV. More and more people are going to the net for their music.

Internet is democracy in it's pures form.

I still listen to albums, even if they are mp3 format, you just put the whole album in the playlist and slack on the sofa, I'm to lazy to hop up and skip songs. So I usually still listen to whole albums.

I don't know if I had a point, but I'm tired.

4. mow

no no, both of you made very important points :amuse

5. BlueCheese

I disagree, theres nothing like listening to the whole thing. There is the occasional album that only has one or two good songs, but I can also think of some albums where i don't ever really listen to just one song from it but the whole album.

I nearly always listen to the entire album. Only if i really love a song will I listen to it on it's own. For me each album I have represents a mood. If i'm in that mood I will listen to that album.

6. mow

lol, when It comes to you guys and gals, I know you all listen to albums fully, that fact cannot be doubted and hence you all being the awesomeness that you are :p.

Im focusing more on the general public, is this one (of many) reasons that has caused to lack in public music taste?

7. BlueCheese

Fair enough. Then I will agree with you, I know people that buy albums just to listen to one song.

8. sunshine and gasoline

Well the general public is in such a sad state that I don't even go there anymore.

But my point is, that the good music is slowly movin to the net. Nowdays you can record a song on your computer and upload it to the net and spread it to people, if the song is good it will spread even more.

This is why I'm optimistic about mp3. Local underground acts can spread much easier nowdays.

9. mow

True, that cannot be argued :amuse. Which leads me to my next point

Were do you see the direction of music holding? We moved from vynils, to lps, to cds and now mp3 (and m4as if you use itunes). Are mp3s the final revulotion in music storage?

10. Mineko-Iwasa

=_=, the world is changing, improving very fast, so they might find something new.

as now for the gerneral public, they do not listen to albums, but to the hit song of the album. then move to another artist another hit song etc....

i am to tired to write a better statement :amuse

11. mow

lol, I keep forgeting you lads are on the other side of the globe :laugh.

But I hope scientist will make a chip that they can stick to my head with 120 GIG storage, how awesome would that be?

12. CrazyMoronX

Getting rid of MP3s would detriment sales of CDs with the same chance that it would increase sales. A lot of people that download MP3s claim to buy the CD only after they know the music is good, even after downloading the entire CD they will still buy it for quality or some crap like that.

Anyways... listening to a full CD is generally a good idea, a lot of the times it has really good songs on it that never get played on the radio, or any other spotlight on TV or movies. Sublime's 40oz to Freedom for example, they barely play any of their songs anymore at all save Smoke two Joints, but even when they did they didn't play some of the best songs.

Also, listening through the CD through sometimes you don't like it at first, like me with, you guessed it, 40oz to Freedom. I didn't like it much at first, but after a few times I loved it, and still hold it as one of the best CDs ever.

In short... after a wild tangent about why MP3s arent necesarily bad for sales, and establishing my undying love for Sublime.... I made no real points.

13. Mineko-Iwasa

hm.... that would be no good for me :laugh , i would not stop to listen to music then. (the only time during day i don't listen to music is when i sleep....)

but that would be a great idea. indeed. that would have so many advantages :amazed

14. mow

And in an even stranger twist, I just borrowed that album from my friend.

15. CrazyMoronX

Wait... let me get this straight, you didn't have it before?!?! :amazed

That's wrong on so many levels...

Hopefully you can redeem yourself and say you just lost your copy or somethign. :smile-big

16. sunshine and gasoline

I think the development will go to faster connections, that can handle videos and uncompressed formats like waw wihout problem.

For me the internet symbolises the only hope for the destruction of the mainstream as we know it.

Becasue, when I'm on the net downloading music, it is not because MTV has forced it onto me, it is because I've heard that it's good.

I only know that, I enjoy listening to mp3 Elliott while writing this.

17. BlueCheese

We can only hope

18. podsandgods

i dont think its the cd or mp3 technology thats making bands write only a couple of good songs and leaving the rest of the album as crap, i think its just how the music industry is today. Mainstream music is all about cashing in on hit singles and nothing more. if you want to listen to bands that put out great records then you might want to look for the lesser mainstream bands that try to write a whole good record and not just write a good single so the cd goes gold.

19. Catatonik

As above, the MP3 format is a result of the singles metality that labels put out and forth. The very essence of the singles metality is why albums have fillers.

Result: People move onto a tactic that allows them to pick and choose the songs they want (with the general public it's the singles).

Now, this is not a bad thing, because many artists now realize they need more than the strength of a single or two to sell the albums, thus creating a stronger album overall to better tempt the listeners into buying the whole damn thing.

As to the issue originally brought up, yes, yes I do think the whole album experience is a dying breed in the mainstream, but given that 90% of it is shit, that makes it an understandable move. While I for one LOVE a full album (Devin Townsends Accelerated Evolution, or Infinity albums should be taken as a whole) I also understand why the lean towards song grabbing and track skipping.

Trying to listen to the entirety of Greendays American Idiot is nigh impossible for me. I can only take it in one or two song bursts.

I do believe Sunshine has a good point, the move of stronger, more talented artists towards the 'net is visible, it get's their music out there and increases the attendance of shows and merchandise, thus negating the need for the bloated, greedy labels.

And some Labels are learning, like Century Media, who re-issued a remastered and remixed version of Nevermores last album over the net to appease the fans who were horrified by the albums original production..

20. sunshine and gasoline

^I guess that is why you rule, Catatonik. You summed up my toughts pretty much, but with better english.

21. Catatonik

Thanks man. I was hoping we were on the same line of thought, and that I wasn't just babbling like an ass :D

Anyhoo, P2P=Spread, spread+fans, fans+shows=money..money to the artists, not the labels.

Three words.

Fuck. The. Labels.

22. mow

Haha

REP!!!

23. sunshine and gasoline

24. Catatonik

I will quote Devin Townsends thoughts on the P2P issue.

"Go ahead, download the entire album, hell burn it to CD and give it to everybody you know..fuck yeah, just come to a show and buy a shirt."

\m/

25. Voynich

My thoughts:

If you make a good album..loose mp3's won't do. I dlled the Gorillaz album, but if you listen to it in mp3 it's all fucked up. It only sounds good on cd...if you can hear all of it. And there are so many bad mp3 versions out there, that stop when the songs isn't finished yet, that have glimps in it, that sound like it's been recorded of an ancient tapeplayer. Whole albums rule...the prices just suck.

Good thing of mp3 is the fact you can get stuff that's not available in stores.

*morning posts so forgive me the pointless rambling*

26. Keramachi

I still listen to albums in their entirety if I can. Whatever happened to the glory days (that I wasn't around for...) where bands made albums like Tommy or The Wall? I wish the concept of an album was still worth something. That's why Led Zeppelin refused to release Stairway to Heaven as a single. And damn, IV was a good album.

27. Catatonik

You want to hear a brilliant concept album?

Check out Ayreons - The Human Equation

One genius, like twelve vocalists, one giant story.

And some of the craziest and most impressive progressive work you will ever encounter.

28. I ARE 1031

I listened to every CD I ever learned from beginning to end multiple times.

29. Efraim Longstocking

I rarely have the patience to listen to an entire album. Because after a while I just find out that everything on the album often sound exactly the same. I get bored while listening to some music and I want to listen to something totally different. I can love listening to an artist but if I listen for like 20 minutes I just find everything by them sounds the same and I turn it of. I don't know why it's like that but it can be one reason I love compilations of various artists. And may be a reason for my love for artists that change their sound swift and leaves you without a clue.

30. Catatonik

Simpatik, might I recommend you Ween then? They do not have a sound, they just do everything.