1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Are a lot of "sell out" musicians more talented than they display?

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by nighty light, Aug 11, 2018.

1. nighty light Shaka Brah!

England
    So for a while now, people consider a majority of modern mainstream musicians as people that have watered down their music for easy consumption, which can also be attributed to record labels putting them through such a creative filter it's hard to come out with anything that's authentic and innovative. Taking all of this into consideration is their perhaps a chance a lot of the musicians that have been subject to much hate for being sell outs (i.e Bieber, Minaj, Nickleback, FOB, Linkin Park, One Direction, etc) are actually better musicians that simply don't tap into to their full creative prowess because of the reasons previously mentioned? Has there ever been an occasion when you've heard a musician you generally consider shitty pop tripe show glimpses of potential?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Nightali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Flag:
    Portugal
    while the image of the popular artist being fettered, creatively, by the money mad machine behind them is a pretty easy image to envision; what about the flip side? the artist isnt always a colourful auteur out for nothing less than full artistic freedom, they can be just as money mad as the machines behind them and can work alongside those said machines to the mutual end of financial gain. this particular dynamic between artist and label can just as well produce the results that you mentioned (the rehashing of inauthentic drivel). and yes, nicki minaj can rap. dont ask me why she refuses to though.

3. nighty light Shaka Brah!

England
    Yeah, I do agree that it's likely a combined effort between musician and record label to create something that sells. Should have made that a bit more clear.

I only know of Nicki Minaj's biggest hits and came to the conclusion there was no point in delving any further. I'm assuming she showed better rapping abilities in her pre-fame days?

4. Nightali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Flag:
    Portugal
    beam me up scotty. listen to it and realise how soulless she sounds nowadays. its disappointing really, now were stuck with phantasm verses that have nothing of anything to them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

I know J.Cole has admitted that he "dumb down" his music to sell more.

I respect Kendrick a lot for figuring out how to go commercial without compromising the art.

6. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

Because she wants to appeal to people who don't like rap?

Drake also tows the "I'm a rapper but not really" line.

7. Buskuv The thing which Solomon overlooked Global Moderator

Not everyone can be Prince and be a platinum worldwide music icon and also be talented as fuck in everything you do. Generally speaking you can pursue music as a passion or a profession, sometimes mutually, but at the end of the if you're trying to get the most money for your effort you're going to be appealing to the most amount of people.

8. Lord Nighty Atomic Sables!

As for Prince being 'talented as fuck at everything he does'...

9. Nightali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Flag:
    Portugal
    not to go off on a complete tangent, but the implications, or should i say the common perception, of what you touched on irks me. if you think about it, the attempted universality of "easy consumption" music is nothing but a complete positive for the experience that is of listening to music. you could look at it from the crude angle of more easily digestible music inherently allowing for more chances for an enjoyable music listening experience to occur off of pure probability alone (call this a utilitarian way of looking at things if you will). which seems to lead to a distinction being made in the levels of pleasure capable of being derived from certain pieces of music, with the immediacy of more readily consumable music being looked down on; while the opposite is said for more difficult and "challenging" music, which is silly imo because no one can really reason that one aspect proper to art has a definitively higher affinity for enjoyment than another.

10. nighty light Shaka Brah!

England
    I was being quite tongue in cheek when I said "easy consumption" I can listen to accessible, catchy rock music like Weezer, The Strokes, Nirvana, etc while enjoying the more out their stuff like Have a Nice Life, Slint, Ween, etc.