1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Are we the dumbest creatures on this earth?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Shinigami, May 30, 2007.

1. Shinigami Socks are troublesome

My grandpa and I were talking and he brought up about why he thinks the human race is the dumbest race on the planet.
    From his own mouth- "You don't see no deer or moose causing global warming or bombing each other with nukes."

Which is a great point. The human race has had great discoveries but it seems all of them is hurting the things around us. What do you think?

Tags:
  2. Denji Noctis Lucis Caelum

Most other creatures know how to get along with one another and their surrounding environment.

3. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

I would say your grandfather has unforunately a point. Humans see to have a knack for killing each other over reasons that animals never do. Not to mention the fact that unlike any other animal we don't find a balance with nature we force nature to our will (till we get back handed for it)

4. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

It depends on how you define "dumbest".

Our makeup, our biological and mental makeup, allow us to alter the environment around us to suit our needs, whereas other animals' bodies allow them to adapt.

I'd say man is possibly the most far-removed species from nature. We're simply not put together very well to rough it in the wild, and our lifespans and overall health have benefited from higher levels of detachment.

Is that right or wrong? I've thought long and hard on that, and decided it's neither right nor wrong but inevitable, but to that end I still think we could cause less of a negative impact than we do.

5. Shinigami Socks are troublesome

I would have to completely agree with you. Though I would have to say we are put together better than you may think we are to survive in the wild. It is completely possible for us to live without what we currently have (computers, electrical appliances.etc). But must we hurt nature just to increase our lifespan? If it were up to me, I would choose to lower the human lifespan by 5 maybe 10 years to make it so we worked with nature instead of bend it to our will until it lashes back.

6. Haze is Dreamin' Banned

Well we are by no means the dumbest but i could see why he would say that cause we are destroying our home

7. Taleran Back to Nothing

the exact opposite

do you realize just how much intelligence it takes to create what we have

"You don't see animals living in cities HURR!"

8. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

Allow me to clarify what I said, or reword it.

Humanity is a very tool-centric species. We rely heavily on tools. Almost everything we've ever accomplished has been due to a technological improvement. After the opposable thumb, the walking upright and the brain development, there would have been no real improvements if it hadn't been for humans taking things in nature, such as tree limbs, and making them into other things, like clubs or spears for instance.

It doesn't have to come to such a compromise. We can actually do less overall harm to the environment than we are doing now and actually live longer than we do now. Examples include hastily developing and spreading alternate energy techniques, which will not only benefit the Earth but remove lung damaging smog from the atmosphere. Another example is if people made the conscientious decision for themselves to eat healthier foods, the extraction of which cause less harm to nature than, say, factory farming mass quantities of beef, and would improve human health by delaying or reversing the onset of many crippling or fatal diseases.

To quote Captain Planet, the power is yours!

9. Red Viking Northern Skald

I really, really wish people would stop vilifying our species.

Chimpanzees have been known to systematically hunt down and eradicate splinter groups that broke away from the main tribe. The ones from Senegal use spears to hunt other animals.

Lions will murder and cannibalize young cubs for the sole reason of mating with said cubs' mother.

Housecats will torture their prey until it dies or they grow bored, which ever comes first and quite often don't eat it. Very few humans will do this.

Beavers will destroy and change the environment in order to build their homes.

Species that aren't indigenous to an area will end up screwing the entire ecosystem.

I can go on if you want because there are plenty more examples.

What people keep forgetting is that humans are a part of nature too, no matter how far removed we are from it. We're bound by the same laws and instincts. Don't believe me? Look at the business world: It can be incredibly cutthroat and one can successfully argue that it's survival of the fittest in action. Just because we don't live in trees and caves anymore doesn't mean we're removed from nature.

10. GrimaH Absurdist

The fact that we can make stuff that affect the environment so much AND be able to control it (to some extent for global warming) shows just how 'dumb' we are compared to other animals.

11. Juubi Active Member

Actually, animals are just as awful as we are. We're just smarter.

12. Mintaka Well-Known Member

Dumbest:hardly.

Egotistical and slow:definitely.

13. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

And yet none of these animals has contributed directly to deforestation or the depletion of the ozone layer, or contribute to global warming etc.

Fact.

That's allegorical at best.

Furthermore, I could easily argue that the business world is largely responsible for the three things I just mentioned, meaning it's something else altogether from what other species engage in. While simple comparisons can be made, and even have some validity, the fundamental truth is that we do have the power to effect our own environment at such a scale that other species don't compare, and unlike them we can truly examine our place and take steps to remedy it. Animals act on instinct, and man is a thinking animal.

14. Arishem Reveler

"Humans think that they're smarter than dolphins because they've developed war, the atom bomb, and culture, while all dolphins do is swim around all day and have sex. Dolphins think that they're smarter than humans for the exact same reasons."
    - Douglas Adams

15. Yasha Procreate

We are, in the sense that we had invented the most ways of destroying ourselves and each other.

16. Ranger Samson Member

Fact is global warming is a natural change the earth is going through.

17. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

Even if that is true, what about the other two?

18. Red Viking Northern Skald

Do you know how much methane gas cows produce? Enough that some scientists theorize that it contributes to global warming.

True. Which is why I believe other animals would behave the same way as we humans if they had sentience.

19. SENTINEL i'm the loin<B>!</B>

I think we are so smart, that we are dumb.

20. Ranger Samson Member

The ozone layer, once again that's natural. As for deforestation, there is more forest in the US now then there was 100 years ago.

21. Tachigami You just brought me down.

It isn't fair to label EVERY human with stupidity. There are a number of us who try to help our Earth.

But, looking at everybody else, I don't think we're the brightest ones around. Think about it. If we weren't brought onto this earth, it would be in the best condition ever. The animals and plants were unfortunate enough to have big, two legged, hairless beings start loping around.

22. Catterix is a super awesome

We have the most active brains. Largest nuerotic activity.

If that's intelligence, then no, we're the smartest.

However, personally, intelligence isn't knowledge; its how you use it. And really, most animals are much better at using what they know than we are.

23. uchiha sandsy Woop de doo basil

Humans are idiots in that sense, but many countries are attempting to stop global warming and have no nukes. The main problem with Global warming is America, China and India, they are the main sources of CO2 emission. As for Nukes throw North Korea in there. But I wouldnt say we are the most stupid of creatures. I mean cows cant even taake a crap w/o it hitting their leg, so they are dumbest

24. TiGel2. Well-Known Member

No. Close Thread.

25. Cal Hate those noodle wonka forks.

most animals eat their own shit

26. Catterix is a super awesome

So really, are Americans the dumbest humans?

Btw, what your Grandfather said is a very old and tired point, but he failed to take note of the other main point: Its not so much that the animals don't it that they can't. Who's to say that another species wouldn't do what we did had they been given the chance?

27. Marl Now with added S? Engine!

Oh, for the love of...

Please. SHUT UP! You don't even bother to look at facts, do you? You just state your entirely misguided opinion, and then say "it's a fact".

The hole in the ozone layer is NOT natural. Chlorofluorocarbons are NOT natural chemicals, and the ONLY beings on this entire planet that make them are humans. Ozone depleting chemicals are, by and large, man-made.

I'd also love you to prove (in a separate thread, please) that global warming is an entirely natural phenomenon unaffected by our vast emissions of greenhouse gases and the incredibly large amounts of deforestation taking place worldwide, and the poor insulation present in most houses which allows the vast majority of heat generated by radiators and so forth to escape.

Finally: Just because you claim there is more forest in the US now than there was 100 years ago doesn't matter (and I strongly suspect this is not the case. I'll need to go to some research). Your precious United States of America is NOT the whole world, you small minded fool. Worldwide, deforestation is on the increase. Please, EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Edit:

source: Source of 1620, 1850, and 1920 maps: William B. Greeley, The Relation of Geography to Timber Supply, Economic Geography, 1925, vol. 1, p. 1-11. Source of TODAY map: compiled by George Draffan from roadless area map in The Big Outside: A Descriptive Invent

So, no. There aren't more forested areas now than there were 100 or so years ago. Even if, by some statistical fluke, there were, there's still been a dramatic decrease in the amount of forested areas - due to human intervention.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  28. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

Reallly? So animals kill each other over skin color too? They build and stockpile weapons that was capable of destroying this world 1000 times overs? They kill each other because one believes in Allah and the other in God?

Truthfully we're full of ourselves and that arrogance is dangerous. You should read the thread on Are we more then just animals?

29. Goodfellow .

By killing, raping and eating each others^^

30. GrimaH Absurdist

But we are smarter than the vast majority of animals. It's, like, a fact. And not necessarily a good thing.
    It's just that we have a lot more destructive power too, and it doesn't really make us look more graceful or benign than them.