1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

Are you part of a religion if you're not religious?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by aLkeMiSt, Nov 8, 2005.

1. aLkeMiSt Curious

The majority of people I know, who are: Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, etc.. call themselves Muslims, Christians and Buddhists... but they're not even that religious... they don't pray, follow the necessary rituals, or celebrate any of the holidays.. I think most of them just say that they're part of that religion in order to fit in with certain groups of people. Can you technically be called a Christian, Buddhist, Muslim... etc.. if you're not religious?

Tags:
  2. Crowe inactive - most of the time

I agree, there are many muslims as example that listens to music and drink alcoholics and im sure that the Koran dont allow those stuffs. And i'd say, if you dont follow the 'rules' you shouldnt call yourself 'muslim/christan/we'.

You cant just choose which parts that suits you and ignore the rest.

3. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

The Quran doesnt say anything about music really, and frankly, I think music is the most clear example of God's existance. Why on Earth would Beethoven such talent if he wasnt meant to create music? It makes no sense that some Islamic preachers (:rolleyes) claim it's the work of the devil or some other crap.

I'm not the the most perfect example of a muslim. I read the quran every once and a while, and I forget my prayers quite frequently, and I smoke pot. But I firmly believe in Muhamed's teaching and demenor (the same goes to Buddah and Jesus); that we should attempting to be as good as we can to ourselves and to others and try to aviod causing harm to anything and anyone.

Maybe that's more spirituality than religious, but you get my point. If people would concetrate on those teaching and aspects, we wouldnt have such disputes and turmoils we face everday. It honestly doesnt matter if you're a buddahist, christian, jew , muslim, aethist and so forth. Just be good to one another and the whole world would be a better place.

4. Scorpio3.14 mmmmm....pi

Depends on the religion. In Judaism you are born into the relgion and you are a Jew no matter what you believe latter in life (I was born of a Jewish mother so I am considered Jewish even if I personally believe in Jesus and Christianity). However, most religions arnt like that I believe. Islam and Christianity for example require faith and devotion before you can truely call yourself of that religion. You can call yourself a Christian all you want but unless you truely believe in it, you are not one by the very definition of the religion.

5. ~Akuma Biaaatch !

I know a lot of people wich calls thereselves "Muslim" but they drink they smoke weed and and and, thats the youth. Dont get me wrong they except the religion but they dont practice it so much and so is the most of the world. As for me, I am also not the best example for it, but I believe to Allah. I did Ramazan, the hole thing, but I didnt just because I wanted to be in the group I did it for me I did it to show that a piece of me truly believe at god.

6. Sands

i don't and i'm christian
    each person does what suits them best probably
    if your parents are a certain religion u usually end up bieng whatever religion that is

7. metalanime I like Tits

personally, I think that if you dont follow follow your religion the way it is truly meant to be followed, then you are not truly of that religion. Its not just about beliefs, but your actions in respect to those beliefs that make you of that partucular religion. Its like saying, "Im a law abiding citezen", when in actuallity the person smokes pot, runs reds and stop signs and steals cable, but has never been caught and as such, there is just no proof to say otherwise cause you havent been caught. So does "Law abiding citezen" really apply as an honest character representation? The same applies to religion, which is basically the law of life. Of course this may vary with different relgions and beliefs. But the thing I I think we all know is going to happen in this thread is posts that dont really answer the question from true perspective, but one that is skewed. Like this one :

Now Im not trying to bash or anything, but that is exactly what we are talking about and its a fine example of whats to come. First we have the initial question of the thread which is "Are you a part or religion if you're not religious?" That question was given the obvious logical answer by saying

which makes perfect sense. But then we have someone who is actually the example of the topic coming out and basically saying well, im one of those people, but I consider myself christian and there is nothing wrong with it.

The point is, religion isnt the type of thing that you can just nitpick at. Its a way of life and depending on the religion, is not only about belief, but heeding the word and scriptures. Whats the point in believing if you act against it? Its like people coming onto the boards and saying that people shouldnt download naruto and only watch the dubbed episodes and wait till they come out on dvd, but still goes to his friends house and watches all the japanese eps. It just doesnt make sense.

Religion is a practice of living your life the way it dictates. If you dont practice and follow that religion, the way that the religion tells you, then you arent part of it, you just believe it. Of couse this in the situation that you only follow the practice or go to church once in a while, as oppossed to missing it once in a while.

8. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

That's true, but remember that people have been picking and choosing what aspects of a religion they want to follow for ages. Why do you think there are so many versions of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Judeaism, and you can keep going on and on. If an individual chooses not to follow a certain aspect of a religion that they don't want to follow, then they should be held just as sccountable as any branch religious groups since they choose what parts of the religion suited them and made one big religion out of it. Just because a lot of people do it, doesn't mean that it's any more legit, unless you are able to see that people are allowed to pick and choose what aspects of a religion fit them. It's either one or the other in life.

9. skunkworks Member

I wasn't raised in an orthodox Jewish family, but we observed the holidays and halacha (laws). I suppose I would consider myself more culturally Jewish since I was born in Israel and lived there for 8 years. Remember, religion is a lot of philosophy too. While I may not adhere to all of the laws of a religion, I can certainly take on the religion's core beliefs and teachings of ethics and morals.

10. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Are you part of a religion if you're not religious?

...Apparently, if you're Muslim. ;)

Seriously, though, in my experience, it's all in your head. Religion only becomes "no choice" if you allow yourself to *think* you don't have a choice.

11. Talvius Dream Inside You

Ofcourse your not since you dont believe in anything. Well thats my opinion!

12. Danny Lilithborne 我を愛する修羅

If you believe in Christ, you're a Christian. If you believe in Buddha, you're a Buddhist.

Institutionalized religion is an invention of man. I don't give a damn if you go to church or not; in fact, I'd be more impressed with you if you didn't.

13. exmorte Worlds Most Fabulous Genius

If you don't pray and all that jazz then I personaly think you just don't follow the organized religion, but that doesn't mean your not religous. It is rather silly the asumption that for one to be religous they must follow rules and etc. If someone belives in a higher being or something, that to me is all it takes to be religous.

14. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

Point well taken. There is, after all, a difference between religion and spirituality.

15. Raistlin-sama Have you been naughty or nice?

So does that mean we can't believe in Kepler's 3rd law, because the rest of the book that it was published in, was mainly bullshit?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  16. Mousowi Member

Yes you can. Religion is about faith and belief. Not about a church, a holiday, gestures like prayer, or about spreading it?s word, you can do all of those things and still not believe it. And likewise do none, and have a strong faith and belief in it?s truth.

On following the rules, in Christianity lying is wrong, but who hasn't lied before. I believe it also says something about not eating shellfish. The truth is the rules in a religion are what you are supposed to aspire to, not what you absolutely have to do to be part of that religion. It's quite honestly impossible or very near to impossible to do what your saying.

17. RyuShi_Lloyd Member

The laws in the religion should be followed in order to be a part of it. You cannot just pick which ones suit your needs. In the country you live in, you have laws. If you do not abide by those laws and get caught, you get in trouble. Considering most Gods are all-knowing, you will indeffinately be caught. I cannot say I shouldn't be arrested because I stole money, I think stealing is ok; you are still tried for it.

If you cannot abide by the rules of the religion, why be a part of it? Free ride into heaven? I doubt it will be given to someone who takes shortcuts of faith.

"On following the rules, in Christianity lying is wrong, but who hasn't lied before."
    Either the law in Christianity needs to be redifined by some preist or high leader, or you need to find a new religion that says lying is ok.

18. Danny Lilithborne 我を愛する修羅

Christianity, as stated by the Roman Catholic Church (which believes itself to be the only true church), says that we're all born sinners anyway, and the only path to salvation is through confession of sins and accepting the authority of the Church.

If you can't see the hypocrisy there, you're pretty much beyond help.

19. skunkworks Member

Yeah, it's pretty rediculous. Original sin is a silly concept. They misinterpret and mistranslate the Hebrew Bible to fit their beliefs. But you just can't draw that conclusion about Original sin from the supposed verses. There was never a need for an intermediary, Jesus.

20. Chimmy Die Bugs Die

Before you move out of your parents or gaurdians house your whatever they tell you are(wiether you think so or not :tem ) after that you can be whatever religion you want too be and even choose the rules you want too follow(within reason of course) what is the diffrence between religions but small changes in rules and worship.

IMO its impossible to follow ALL rules given in any religion so if you dont follow them you can still consider yourself a part of that religion. If your not religious dont worry about it if your right youll die and fell nothing if your wrong...well...too hell with it.

21. Scared Link _

Well I do not believ in god, therfore I dont have a religoun with a god. However I do have a religoun its : Nintendo!

22. Danny Lilithborne 我を愛する修羅

23. datchapin Member

You answer your own question with the question. Religion is a set of beliefs and customs. If you do not follow the customs (kinda what being religious means right) how can you consider yourself of that religion. Its like a christian that doesnt celebrate christmas. They can say theyre christian but if they dont celebrate christmas what really differentieates them from other religions. Theres also prayer muslims pray differently then christians, bhuddists meditate to reach nirvana. Each religion has its unique customs. If you dont follow those customs how can you a) differentiate yourself from other religions b) relate to those who do follow the customs or c) honestly claim that you are part of a said religion.

24. Rook Sui Generis

Close to 90% of Americans claim Christianity as their religion, yet less than 10% actually follow Biblical doctrine or even go to church.

25. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

In other words, 90% of Americans sanctimoniously *claim* "Christian values" when it's convenient, or suits their agenda, then try to backpdedal when anyone challenge them to practice what they preach.

26. Leen Peacemaker

I am a Christian. I go to church once in a while. I read bible once in a while. I pray religiously everyday. I believe in Jesus Christ and I think that heaven is real even though I have never seen it. I also believe that God will help me if I pray hard and work hard too.

27. hiddenmistmansss Well-Known Member

The thing is that a persons religion is exactly that, his or her personal choice.To say that they are not religious just because they do not perform their prayers or break the restrictions set down by their religion is prejudiced to say the least...what makes said person religious is how he or she lives their lives according to their personal beliefs