1. Halloween Drawing Contest is happening now!
    drawing contest 04
    Click [HERE] to join up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Ares

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by Smokeyjay, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Smokeyjay

Anyone else reading Ares? Its a Korean manga.

I'm really enjoying it. I just adore the art style. It has a cartoonish art style combined with the messiness (sp?) pencil style of Blade of the Immortal. Can't actually describe it since I'm not an artist myself.

Its a fun read. There isn't actually that much plot involved so far, but I dont think thats the point of the story. I think the author is going to concentrate more on character development, as the main characters have all mysterious secretive backgrounds.

Its basically right now 3 kids who all join a group of mercenaries. There basically hired killers that fight in wars. No power-ups, demons, etc. I just like the attitude of the kids. They'll be facing off against like 40 foot soldiers, but they'll look bored out of their mind even though chances are high that they will die.

Im starting to read more Korean manga and I like it. I also read volume 1 of Dangu. Anyone else have any good Korean manga out there to suggest?

Tags:
  2. Crowe

Im reading it, and i was actually going to recommend it a week ago to the manga lovers, but forgot. The artstyle is cartoonish and i think that the manwhaka (XD) is still a newbie in drawing manga. The story is awesome i luv it. I also like how the mangaka focuses on the enemy's story also, how he told the 'story' about the black knight kid then came back to Ares and now we're currently on Ares flashback. I'd love to see the showoff between Ares and the Black knight kid.

Started reading it at volume 1/2 i think and whenever i see a new release i download it immediately not like other manga's where i wait til the 'right' time. Its currently on my top and i just love it.

Change Guy is a street fighting / Martial arts manwha where they mainly focus on fights, no powerups here also but we'll probably start to see "Ki" attacks soon. I really recommend this manwha, i luv it. K-manga are really great on choosing projects.

3. k1nj3

i suggest zero
    telekinesis and really weird stuff.

4. Smokeyjay

Ares is translated at volume 7 now for those that don't know.

My favorite character is probably Michaels and Barona. They both have that stoned expression even at moments where they might die. Espescially the scene where by themselves, Michael and Barona are facing a master swordsman and 40 guards.

The relationship between the three doesn't seem forced as well.

I just like the art style. I like it when the outlines aren't so defined, like in Blade of the Immortal or the guy who drew Freesia.

There isn't any good or bad guys too. The 3 kids are themselves quite vicious. Heck there killing guys for money and their so casual about death.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  5. Smokeyjay

Where do you guys get Change guy and zero? Is it licensed?

6. Gamakireta

Ohh...I thought it was japs manga...so the story just dark like that eh...killing and killing...

7. Code

A Korean manga.

Well the story isn't that dark. Of course it has a lot of killing as its dealing with war but there are humorous moments.

8. Crowe

Ohhh, this last chapter of The Ravages of time was so god damn sweet. It certainly flew up on my top list, and you should really try it. The last volumes is so sweet.

9. Sasurin-san

I've read up to volume 7 and I'm loving this manwha so far. I'd really like to see this get animated just for the fights alone.

10. Black Swan

first post in like a year,
    Anyway this manga kicks ass, the battlefield is set up baroona just killed the gladiator ouronus, and some light has been shed on his past, seems like he left daarak b/c he was forced to kill his master, Cygnus is up next to fight i hope that ares fights him, and draws out red eyes after killing his prodigy.

11. Grumpy Zoro

Wow this manhwa is awesome xd And i gope Michael gets to fight with Cygnus;p

Btw anyone else interested in what the hell was Micheal dream about? It's like the devil himself promised him a blazin life...and also the fact that the fortune teller told Ares and Michael that they should have never met is quite interesting.

12. Tonza

Yes, Ares is awesome. And yeah, the scanlations are coming a bit slowly... at least they are coming.

13. Grumpy Zoro

It's a secret for me why this manhwa isn't more popular...

Does anyone else think Michael is a little similar to Zoro from One Piece?

14. Nakor

just read the first 10 volumes of this, thanks to pek. i'm loving it so far. i havne't even read a manga or manwha in such a loonnnggg time but thanks to this one i've gotten back into em now. i'm a huge fan of ares and i've come to dislike michael alot. baroona seems pretty cool too. story has been great and i love how its set during medievil times.

15. Crowe

raziu: Nah, not really. Michael just seems so much more brutal then Zoro >_>

Glad to see that you liked it fireball. I think Michael is one of those characters created just for the sake of being hated. Tho I personally like him.

Here are a few answers to a few questions I've been asked lately:

16. Byxa

i started to read this manga earlier this day and i love it so far :)!

17. Smokeyjay

Wow. I havent posted on this website for like a year and my thread is still up.

Anyways, I heard rumours that Ares at volume 12 was stopped.

I like all the characters. Espescially Baroona.
    I also enjoy the subtle characterizations.

Like for example. Baroona-slave mentality. He seems kind but also a bit of a pushover.

He knows about Micheals disgressions but chooses to ignore it. Also, when he wanted to fight the new gladiator champion, he asked Micheals permission first. Against the 40 guards, he took Micheals orders.

I find this interesting, because I'm wondering which side will Baroona pick when the rift that the author is foreshadowing occurs between Ares and Micheal occur. Ares will probably side with his girlfriend and the Chronos leader, while Micheal will probably try to take over Chronos or something.

Raizu- The dream is similar to the Achiles story in Greek mythology. The Gods asked Achiles whether he wanted a glorious short life or a long boring one. Achiles chosed the short life like Micheal did. Thats why Micheal will probably die, and he's pretty much the quinessential tragic character. Micheals failure will be his ambition-probably to be better than his father or something.

I was wrong. Its become more plot driven now. But the writer sure takes his time though.

I would type more, but my comp. is broken and this shitty lab top makes it really really difficult to type.

18. Byxa

Is that true:cry ?

19. Crowe

I'm wondering that too. Seriously, how can they stop Ares ;_; ? It has everything that a good story needs, interesting character, interesting plot, humour, action & a bit of romance. >_>

20. Byxa

^ yeah it really is an great manga

21. risend

damn you pek, you got me addicted to ares with your sig and now I am foaming at the mouth.... I just wanted to say how much you sucked, ok? I am done...

22. Byxa

^yeah i thought the exact thing :laugh

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  23. tictactoc

Damn... I don't know why, but something pushed me to continue to read this manga. The storyline is not so original, and sometimes the action is "weird",but... Don't know I'm addicted >___>

24. Black Swan

Ive been waiting for like a month for chapter 73, at first i thought it was just the scantalators so i thought with some patience i would get to view it eventually, now after reading the last couple of posts i realized my worst fear, ares could be done. Right when an epic battle is about to start. I think the mangaka of ares is pulling off a togashi.

25. Smokeyjay

Yah lol...I dunno, it seems like I waited longer than a month for ch73.

I got 72 on the day it came out I think. At least we got to see Baroona win the fight.

26. Black Swan

I was too, I thought the significance of the dream was that micheal wanted glory, sort of like the story of achilles, he would rather live a short life with a lot of glory than a boring dull life. The author uses a lot of foreshadowing so I'm thinking somehow he will be with/against ares in the spiraling violence. The dream was the authors way of making that canon.
    My take on ares and micheal is i think of ares as the greek god of war, and micheal as mars the roman god of war, two beings that are too similar with destructive and great destinies who should not coexist with eachother.

27. Smokeyjay

I like the Roman and Greek god of war idea. Too bad Ares might have ended, because the author looked like he was building something up big.

It looked like Ares and Micheal would take opposite sides in a war in the future.
    The Circus guy looked like he wanted to join Micheal. I'm not sure how the Black Swan comes into play. Its been a while since I read it, but didnt he hate Chronos? So he may join Micheal into the future, because I doubt that he will die in the coming chapters cuz hes a good char.

I'm not sure which side Baroona would take as well. He seems to take commands from Micheal, but is an all around nice guy.

Whatever, this is all hypothetical.

28. Black Swan

Thanks for uploading the chap u rock pek. Finally the fight is about to begin...

Does anyone else think red eyes is faking about not knowing who ares is, If i was that uber powerfull and some little kid sliced and almost killed me I would never forget his face.

29. Smokeyjay

What pains me is that were gonna have to wait another 2 months to just watch sword action.

30. Nakor

thanks for uploading chapter. should be a good one.