1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Artistic Anime

Discussion in 'Off the Air' started by Iruka-Senpai, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Iruka-Senpai Member

I was just wondering what anime you people consider artistic. I made this because a lot of people think just because an anime is cool and it's Japanese that it is automatically artistic but I don't agree sice US cartoons tend to be cool, but not always artistic. So, first list some of the anime you consider cool and artistic, the anime you consider cool but not neccessarily art, and anime you don't consider to be either. I'll start:

Art:

. Paranoia Agent- I consider this show to be a masterpiece at showing the frailty of the human mind and how it sees the things around it. Satoshi Kon deserves a medal for this show.
    . Akira- This is a very indepth portrayal of how humans are always seeking more and more power without thinking of the consequences.
    . Tenchi Muyo!- Suprised!? Tenchi is a very different harem anime seeing as it's story is really complex. The creators, from what I've seen and heard, are Star Wars fans and are able to combine a beatiful space opera syle with the comedic anime style we all know and love.
    . Fullmetal Alchemist- I like the whole theme of a war, conspiracy, and the faults of human ignorance shown in this anime. This is a rare example of philosophically enriched shonen manga.
    . FLCL- Great animation, hilarious jokes, tons of action;Furi Kuri reflects how we all have different choices and responsibilities as we grow into adulthood.
    . Tokyo Babylon- This manga is a great, and enlightening, representaion of how corrupt and dangerous human society can become.

I have others but I don't feel like listing them.

Cool(not art):

. Naruto- Sorry, everyone,but though I like Kishimoto's manga about ninja's and various fun aspects of Japanese culture, I can't consider it art. My favorite thing about this is how it is full of suspense and tension every time there's a battle.
    . Yu Yu Hakusho- Great action, good story, fun and lovable characters,but not really artistic. However, it one of my favorite shonen anime
    . Bleach- I love this anime but it really is not too different from other shonen manga;still really cool though!!
    . Ranma 1/2-It's funny, edgey, and a sweaty nerd's wet dream. Ranma is what got me hooked back on anime. It is nearly artistic; it just doesn't make the cut.
    . Dragon Ball Z-Butt-kicking action in this baby!:p
    . Zatch/Gash Bell- It's a pretty fun show to watch.

I have others but I don't feel like listing them.

Bad:
    Here are some bad ones.

Yu-Ghi-Oh- whether it is in english or not, I just don't like it.

Inuyasha- I liked it before,but it got too cheesy on me.

S-Cry-Ed- I just can't get interested in it!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Dannyz Hinata Fanboy

hmmmm... art art art art... ahhh honey and clover has a lot to do with art. very artistic this anime is.

but if you wanna know what anime has the best artwork then... well .hack//sign was very well drawn. if you wanna know about cg then... karas is the way to go.

other than that i dunno what you are trying to say.

but if you really want to know what a artistic masterpiece is there is only one word you need to know: Ghibli

3. Iruka-Senpai Member

I meant as in what kind of anime show you the mind of the creator through not just their drawings but their stories, concepts, and philosophies. I meant art as in its proper defintion: the expression of ones utmost creativity. In other words, what anime are the most creative?

4. Dannyz Hinata Fanboy

5. eternally Member #623

Oh my god, RAHXEPHON! It goes nuts with Angels and Aztec references. You'd have to be a genius to comprehend all of it. Same goes for Ghost in the Shell (movie).

Or maybe I'm just stupid.

Creative...Princess Tutu comes to mind. On the surface it looks very cutesy and girly but it's actually a dark, sinister German macabre fairy tale. The flow and music of the show give it the feel of a finely orchestrated ballet. It's worth a look (an understatement).

There's also Arjuna. I think the show sucks but it's quite creative. For one thing, it's the first (and only) environmentalist anime I've ever seen or heard of. It combines anime with real-life footage and puts everything in our lives in a different perspective.

If you want something that's just plain messed up, watch Hani Hani. LOL.

6. numerrik the numerrikal one

hmm i agree with your list but i would make one change.

i would add milk chan to the bad list.(GFD that show sucks japanese or english)

7. A2L Member

Memories

8. Hitomi_No_Ryu Lost in UkeNaru fantasies~!

I found Fruit Basket to be very artistic. Its overrall art quality throughout that whole series (both anime and manga) is just excellent!! It's also creative because its the only true polar opposite of the harem anime genre.

Creative-wise only, I also found Kino's Journey to be the anime that came to my mind. Its philosophical way of observing an aspect of humanity through city-sized nations' customs and cultures in every episode makes it an unique anime that can never be duplicated.

9. forsak3n Sexy beast

You might not have noticed this, but Kishimoto pulls it off very nicely in Naruto :D

10. Jackal Iscariot Ero-sennin

yeah, that anime totally kicks ass. In fact, I think im gonna dl all the eps again.

Damn, I love it. <3

11. Jackal Iscariot Ero-sennin

Ops, havent had time to dl it but I promise I will in these coming weeks.

but check out my avy and siggie <3

*POSTED*

12. Ha-ri Dai Gurren Brigade member

Cowboy Bebop
    Ghost In the Shell
    Read or Die(not t.v. though)

13. genjo sanzo FLCLtard

Not for drawings or whatever, but because its full of symbolism and life messages, but you really have to look inside it to find them. Although it seems like just a crazy weird gag anime, the messages about growing up and life are really what makes this "artistic" to me(and why i love it)

Also, it is very unique and creative the way everything is carried out/shown. Such as the fact that it used the weirdest things to convey the deeper messages.

14. kilawinguwak New Member

Furikuri / FLCL - very well-represented, well-paced storytelling, with great animation and plenty of crazy shit for everybody.

Grave of the Fireflies - an art film that deals with the tragedy of post-war living. You can't like this and not cry.

Now and Then, Here and There - A treatise on war and brutality; child abuse and children soldiers are among the themes tackled in this post-apocalyptic tale

Almost anything by Satoshi Kon - This guy directed Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, and Millennium Actress.

Nasu: Summer in Andalusia - good slice of life short story turned into an impressive movie; from the creator of Sexy Voice and Robo

Haibane Renmei - a series inspired by the novel "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Haruki Murakami; deals with death and rebirth, as well as forgiveness; uses heavy symbolism

Almost anything by Katsuhiro Otomo - director of Akira, Steamboy, and Memories

Metropolis - impressive art, good detective story that almost borders on hard-boiled fiction, and of course, the sci-fi

Kite / A Kite - it may be hentai, but the story is tightly wound, like a drumhead, and the animation and representation of present-day society is amazing.

Ghost in the Shell - Ghost in the Shell has always been an analysis of existing electronically, and is a very very good example of existential questioning; what is real etc

Cowboy Bebop - this is sci-fi. Very very good sci fi - with an awesome storyline

Almost anything by Hayao Miyazake - call him a storyteller for children, but anything Miyazake makes is always well-made. He's like the Spielberg of anime. Only thing I didn't like from him is Future Boy Conan.

Earth Girl Arjuna - well-told story, compelling characters, social awareness - what else can you ask for in an artsy flick?

Wolf's Rain - this can get dragging at some parts, but it has a really good story, and nearly perfectly developed characters

The Hakkenden / Shin Hakkenden - these two animes are the retelling of a classic Japanese novel called The Hakkenden: Legend of the Dog Warriors. Very good representative of the Samurai genre of stories.

Not Art But Entertaining
    Alice Academy - just gotta love the crazy
    Galaxy Angels - ditto
    Yuyu Hakusho - testosterone-laden crazy, especially when Toguro ototo goes into 100%
    Shaman King - ditto
    Naruto - is the Dragon Ball for the new age
    Dragon Ball - Goku is monumental
    Full Metal Alchemist - really intriguing, this.
    Cyborg 009 - good, immersive story
    Kuro-chan - gotta love the crazy
    Paradise Kiss - this almost made it into my artistic list
    Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad - ditto
    Yaiba: Legend of the Master Swordsman - this too
    Afrosamurai - okay, it technically isn't anime, but it was animated by the Japs and was adapted from a manga. Brainless hack and slash, with lots of detail on the artwork and choreography. Makes sense that the budget for this show was well above the seven digit mark. Oh, and Samuel L. Jackson = pure win for the novelty of it
    Princess Tutu - it's cute. cute good. good story too.
    Gatekeepers - i love good shonen
    Chobits - cute. really cute. and touching.
    Boys Be - Dawson's Creek of anime
    Shadow Skills - watashi wa muteki desu!
    Rurouni Kenshin - amakakeru ryu no hirameki + futae no kewami + kaiten kenbo - rokuken! and seijuro hiko's kuzu ryu sen on fuji is the win.

and tons more, actually.

Crap:
    Gunslinger Girl - nah, no thanks; too pretentious
    Blood Plus - i prefer the old Blood: The Last Vampire movie
    Neon Genesis Evangelion - the storyline was good until things got too messed up to make any real sense. anything that needs alternate retellings just to get its message across isn't a well-made story. I'd rather watch Dual!
    any standard fare harem anime - please. geeks. get a life <- is what I'd like to say to the male protagonists of harem animes
    Gundam - except for the first two series, Gundam was horrid. I'd rather watch Patlabor, or Dual! Or Samurai Seven.

15. Monna Malicious Miraculous Malevolent Maelstrom

Art:
    Rurouni Kenshin OVA
    Rozen Maiden
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Elfen Lied
    Kanon (2006)

Great but not art:
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
    Death Note
    Naruto
    Haruhi Suzumiya
    Lucky Star
    666 Satan
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Read or Die OVA
    Ikki Tousen
    Almost every shonen

Crap:
    Miyazaki's stuff. Overrated and unentertaining. Proves that high budget and great animation don't always equal good anime. Howel's Moving Castle is probably the worst anime I have ever seen and the only one I have ever given a 1/10 on MyAnimeList.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  16. Minorin ニャッ。

Note that the following anime are still on my hard drive, therefore I watch and like these series. Being the criticism:

Art:
    Mushi-shi: Literal art in episode, and the pacing was well-planned. Full of cross-references. Relates to old folk tales/legends, so that's art in itself.
    Baccano!: Complex singular stories that converge on a train. Just tumbles forward, faster and faster.
    Cowboy Bebop: Old-style anime with great selection of music symbolism. Each individual story has small ties to the next (except the ones with obvious plot movers).
    Sketchbook full colors: Like Lucky Star, needs a Japanese or at least Asian understanding of the culture to fully understand its art. And it's about art.
    Lucky Star: Defines the casual art of manga/anime.
    Kanon: Poetic tragedy. Ending sort of ruined the surreal mood, but like Air, ended up with the watcher wondering when he/she had fallen asleep and dreamt.
    Air: Depressing, isn't afraid to "disappoint" watchers with hard-hitting plot line. "1000th Summer" idea of infinite love.
    Clannad: If you know that KyoAni "built up" Kanon and Air to lead to the production of Clannad, you'll understand why this is art.
    Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu: Not physical art: postmodern methods of narration and episode order. Well, and excellent art and animation anyway.

Excellent, but not necessarily art:
    Full Metal Panic!: To complete the KyoAnification of this thread. Plus, expands the genre of mecha; lots of mecha haters changed their minds upon watching this.
    Genshiken: Almost would qualify as artistic in anime content. Anime about anime. It's crazy.
    Shakugan no Shana: One of the cleaner action series (cleaner as in, plot line doesn't have as many holes like Naruto does, characters are arguably evenly distributed).
    Blood+: The only vampire show (anime or otherwise) I will ever watch, because I doubt anything can compare.
    Bamboo Blade: Realistic depiction of life combined with chibi and the usual anime expressions.
    Minami-ke: Lucky Star's little sister. Physical art hasn't impressed me as much, though, but the point of the anime is definitely not the art.

Not art; okay...
    Bleach: Epicness of plot, continual character development. Long series, thus the shabby animation.
    Naruto: Epicness of plot, infinite impression of possibilities (story, characters...). Long series, thus the shabby animation.
    Claymore: Had a unique art style, but didn't impress me. Story cut short in an awkward manner.
    kimikiss: Very impressive character art, but other than that, not much to offer for the eyes. Developing story, so no judgment on that yet.
    Code Geass: Excellent story. Not a favorite of CLAMP style.

Again, these are of my favorite anime, which means that if I just dissed them, I still like them.

17. ~Shin~ Spectacular Insanity

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Personally I don't like NGE that much because of the overflowing fail of the main character (actually every character in that anime was disgusting) but it does a helluva job in what it's supposed to do. Very unique concept. I have never seen an anime depict depression as accurate as NGE. As much as I dislike the cast, NGE has THE most developed cast I have seen. No main character in this anime was some one dimensional shounen cliche. Each had a very distinct personality that was very evident. Not to mention it started the "LOL GAINAX"

Monster:
    Sad to hear that many people haven't seen this. This is truly what one would call a masterpiece. I have never seen any type of mystery fiction as engaging and complex as Monster. This anime literally made me want to see every damn episode without stopping even for a second. Scary thing is that the manga's better.....

Cowboy Bebop: Though it doesn't have one main central plot, it is still a masterpiece. The music alone makes this a masterpiece IMO. I have never seen an anime where the music so precisely set the whole mood of a scene. Characters were all well done. A very simple concept that's executed so illustriously.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien: Wonderful romance/drama anime. A very well done plot and characters were very thorough and have actual depth. Probably the best romance anime I have seen. Mainly because it didn't follow the same cliche formula that every other romance anime uses.

There's more but can't think of much right now.

18. Lord Yu Active Member

Gankutsuou and Mononoke are definitely artistic anime. There's also Kemonozume. As well as anything by Satoshi Kon.

19. hgfdsahjkl hisoka from HxH is the best

tale of memories
    FLCL
    one piece
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sense
    champloo
    paranoia agent
    Kemonozume
    as for art which means drawing
    naruto bleach berserk slamdunk are of the best when they follow manga art
    any way most of shonen has the best art (manga)

20. Levithian Leviathan...

Neon Genesis Evangelion, S-Cry-Ed, Trinity Blood, Blood+, Blood:The last Vampire, Inuyasha, the first Ghost in the Shell movie,FLCL,S.champloo,paranoia agent...and oddly Big O at the end...many more

21. Chunkyhunks Basically Retired

Pretty disappointed not to see mushishi on that first post.

22. Lainex9 Cutie!

funny how in these types of threads that reguardless of what the title is, your favirote, cutess, or whatever people always post their favirot 5 anime, or just come up with an absurdly long list of anime that would take a decade to watch with even a remotely active life. anyways it seems to be an american trait to see a redefine to your liking.

for me, really all, anime in itself is artist. that should be obvious. i have my favs and ones i really dislike and i would never call art, ie naruto and bleach(loved the frist arcs reguardless). seems like a bunch of you are posting animes that are psylogical or hard to figure out like serial exp. lain in which case i should see phantom boogie(kinda old bit still). i watched mushishi cause i heard it was artistic and i can't say that i never thought of it as artistic, same with FLCL.

i supose for me an artisic anime would need everything,animation, music, voices that are different and intresting, stuff that stands out. a blank wall can be called art(a white void, that is actualy full of every colour and emontion) but i'm like thats a wall and in my mind i'll paint something or use it for a backdrop for my dance. at anyrate heres my list:

serial experiment lain (personal fav.)
    Honey and Clover (omg so many beauitful moments that catupre the essense of art and all that consumes my heart and soul, like omg i need, no really need someone to love after watching that anime)
    Cowboy Bebop - (i was balling at the end of this, uncontrolable. the visual artwork, the music the charcters the sruggles)
    Nodame Cantabile - the muisc and the love(i'm hopeless)
    Code Geass - its polical, moderen art is often political, and it attemps to exlore different physloifieces and ways of thinking. its pretty interesting.
    koi kaze - its boarderlines art and what should be banned. its really gets into the head of i*c*st relationships. controversial indeed.

looks like i've manged to post a bunch of my faviorts. i'm an artist person and i'm attrated to simlar and different ideas. i like thinks that make me think and maybe school days should be on the list

23. Minorin ニャッ。

That's making the assumption that we're all Americans. Though there are probably several people who do list merely their favorite (i.e.) action anime as the most artistic they've seen, most have given fair reasons for their choice.

Statement of the obvious, indeed. Note that the thread title is "artistic anime", which implies that anime has several degrees of art. People here are making the sublist title "Not Art" to emphasize the lack of originality. Stick figure pictures are technically art, but you won't really say, "let's go observe some art" and look at stick figures //exaggeration. When comparing a stick figure to a Picasso painting, you would most definitely look at Picasso's work, and think, now this is art. It's merely making a relative argument for art, while your point is redundant in defining what anime is.
    The only reason I'm ranting about this is because you're basically contradicting yourself against your first paragraph: why do people make long lists? Because anime is art, and there are many great productions of anime. Can I say that Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, and Mahler are all artistic composers, and then cast aside all the other composers in history?

By the way, I had to reread your post several times to understand what you were type. =/