1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

As Migrant Families Are Reunited, Some Children Don’t Recognize Their Mothers

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Unlosing Ranger, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

Tags:
  2. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

Remember those images from Nam of the grief stricken General blowing an VC's head off who'd just murdered a bunch of innocent people and the press mercilessly twisted that into some kind of perverse sign of the darkness of the cause?

Yeah...this is the 21st century version...:scust

NYT, officially endorsing pimps and slavers to score meaningless political points

edit- We have now, have lived to see an age where both Gustavo Leigh's assessment and approach to handling journalists is now vindicated :giogio

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Es Ecole du Ciel

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Pliskin Well-Known Member

Man that is sad. From a christian nation no less.

5. Mider T VM Zombie

6. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

And this is still true, but I guess the country is more concerned about the separation than the alternative dangers of keeping families together to face the consequences of breaking the law. It's also hard for us to separate immigrants with children into their own facilities, because then the usual suspects might just bring someone's kid over the border so they get the nicer stay if they're caught and we'd be incentivizing more nefariousness.

I can't tell if we were trying to do the right thing by separating children from the process or if that policy was put in place to try to punish and discourage immigrants. It's probably the latter considering this administration, but I'd buy either or.

7. Zenith L'osservatore

You see, if it wasn't for articles like this someone like me who doesn't read about anything online except business and finance, would've been completely oblivious to the machinations of these criminals.

I see my family 2 to 3 times a year and all my nephews instantly recognise me, and these children somehow don't recognise their "parents"? This is bollocks.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it's kind of a misleading title. The article is about how damaging this can be for the children and families. Not that children will forget who their parents are after a few months, which is a little overwrought. Article's about how very young children / infants might have all sorts of psychological effects from being separated under circumstances like these.

...which isn't surprising, and also was never the controversy.

9. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

Yes thats why the examples cited show children refusing to acknwoledge these.people as their parents and screaming for their social workers?

I could buy that argument if the examples werent so brazen.

10. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

Its incredible the extent to which these children are being punished for the actions of parents who haven't been tried, convicted or even been given individual legal representation.

11. Takano-san Brujo

Spain, Canada, United States

12. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

13. Pliskin Well-Known Member

Solomon wasn't a Christian and did not punish a child. Don't get the point, unless you argue he'd actually cut the child to prove a point. In that case the story's moral flips from the standard interpretation though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  14. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

It's more that "christian values" come from the bible and he'd put the child in such danger to begin with. In terms of parallels it's not that different. It's also why it's disturbing when the older children don't recognize the parents somehow and the NYT article says "The mother" anyway.
    Added into that he likely would have cut the child in half if the actual mother didn't move forward or have told the guard to stop and taken the child away himself.

15. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

I like how this article basically proves the NYT is willing to endorse human trafficking, abet it and aid in its proliferation solely to score points against Trump but this degenerates into flailing about how the US somehow isn't being Christian because its pulling kids away from these predators.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. Takano-san Brujo

True Christianity in the US is a farce. It is a but a tool of hatred, control, money, violence, and corruption.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. Cardboard Tube Knight Well-Known Member

You’re going to need a parachute to slow you down after a jump to a conclusion of that distance.

You ever think about applying at Fox news.

18. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

you know, that would have been amusing had this been 2009 :giogio

19. Cardboard Tube Knight Well-Known Member

In 2009 Fox News had more integrity than that...

20. Takano-san Brujo

At least Fox News didn't exist in the 1940's. They would have sided with Germany and Italy. :gglife

21. Orochibuto Well-Known Member

The US was way more authoritarian in the 40s than now.

Fox News would had been shut down or forced to stop supporting the Axis.

22. Es Ecole du Ciel

>see proof children are being trafficked
    >do mental gymnastics because you see future assets

Fuck the evil left

23. Cardboard Tube Knight Well-Known Member

Don’t read the article.
    Make up conspiracy theory to make your shitty point make sense.

The article says nothing about child trafficking and is about mental impact on children. Also child trafficking had little use for someone under like ten. Typical age being 11-14 because even most pedophiles don’t want to fuck a three year old.

Second some trafficking is about forced labor and having dealt with three nephews and two nieces and several friends kids you try to tell me with a straight fucking face that you could get a child to do forced labor.

24. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

....completely missed the entire reason why Es is objecting to this article. Specifically, that its blatantly misrepresenting the reunion of slavers with their product as "oh these poor damaged children". In other words...

> Be a user who advocates violence towards Trump supporters

> be too brain washed to think for yourself or too obtuse to realize the crux of his and other users objections to this article

> Validate ES's points entirely

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  25. Es Ecole du Ciel

No kid forgets their fucking parent because of stress. Are you autistic?

They don't recognize this person because they aren't their parent. You think kids are that fucking stupid like I have a job where I gotta make sure people don't run off with other peoples kids and I gotta check and they tell me to just ask them if the person with them is their parent if the stamps run off or if something looks off. Don't insult my intelligence, no amount of stress is going to cause that kind of memory loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Lewd Lewd x 1
    • List
  26. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

Now, now Es remember where you are and the person whom you are asking and their..propensity to gleefully abuse the sympathy of others to elicit bans directed towards people he doesn't like :maybe

It's actually an amusing example of willful ignorance or insight into how they've completely lost the capacity for independent thought. The article doesn't tell them a tale about human trafficking in big bright letters ergo its not, when its very clear the article is being published by a malicious muckracker whose deliberately ignoring the fact that, this, vile, subhuman scumbag was staring at a pimp holding a terrified child and instead of changing the topic of the article to fit the facts went right ahead over a cliff in the name of soulless political pandering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  27. Karyu Endan Smilies = Not serious

I personally think that the article is trying too hard to push an anti-Trump agenda. When I read "young child doesn't recognize the adult picking them up as their parent", I'm less inclined to believe that the holding centre was so abusive that the child forgot who their parents are in only a few months at most, and more that the adult isn't really the child's parent.

Who has more reason to lie here? A child no more than five years old who's only concerns are being taken care of and reunited with their family, or an adult who broke the law to enter the country and knows the consequences that can entail? I'd trust the child's instincts over the adult's words in this case.

This does not mean I'm Pro-Trump or even advocate for separating families trying to cross the border. Not even close. It's just that some families trying to cross aren't going to be legit and more effort needs to be made to weed those cases out before children are separated from their parents. Ideally, families trying to cross the border illegally together get deported together, while people trying to take someone else's kid across get tried in court while the abducted children are returned to their real parents ASAP.

28. Takano-san Brujo

You obviously are unfamiliar with PTSD. I have it, and for small children to have these symptoms is horrendous, but they're just a bunch of brownies, so who cares, right?

The symptoms of PTSD include:

• sleep problems including nightmares and waking early
    • flashbacks and replays which you are unable to switch off
    • impaired memory, forgetfulness, inability to recall names, facts and dates that are well known to you
    • impaired concentration
    • impaired learning ability (eg through poor memory and inability to concentrate)
    • hypervigilance (feels like but is not paranoia)
    • exaggerated startle response
    • irritability, sudden intense anger, occasional violent outbursts
    • panic attacks
    • hypersensitivity, whereby every remark is perceived as critical
    • obsessiveness - the experience takes over your life, you can't get it out of your mind
    • joint and muscle pains which have no obvious cause
    • feelings of nervousness, anxiety
    • reactive depression (not endogenous depression)
    • excessive levels of shame, embarrassment
    • survivor guilt for having survived when others perished or for not having done more to help or save others
    • a feeling of having been given a second chance at life
    • undue fear
    • low self-esteem and shattered self-confidence
    • emotional numbness, anhedonia (inability to feel love or joy)
    • feelings of detachment
    • avoidance of anything that reminds you of the experience
    • physical and mental paralysis at any reminder of the experience

• Sad! Sad! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  29. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

Has a single of these kids been professionally diagnosed with PTSD ? Consider we've already had several cases where the DNA tests apparently did not match, there is another alternative that people can't just ignore.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  30. Takano-san Brujo

I don't know if they have or not, but I wouldn't rule it out, especially considering that they were arrested at gunpoint and locked down. We can make the excuse that it's their faults for entering the US illegally or their parents' faults, but no. That is not suitable treatment for kids who have committed misdemeanors. Felonies, like murder, or vicious assaults, yes, but not misdemeanors of any kind. They're children. But hey, I don't make the rules. I have no fucking say.