1. Due to an update, many default preferences have changed.

If you have any issues, such as unrequested email notifications or following threads you didn't want to follow, then check your setting here.
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Impending Naruto Avenue Reorganisation!

Want to learn more? Wish to chime in? Click here.

Baccano!

Discussion in 'Akihabara Novel Corner' started by halfhearted, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

what ever happened to Ladd after the whole "Transcontinental Flying Pussyfoot massacre"? I imagine near the end of "The Grand Punk Railroad Revisited", Narita goes into what happened; specifically Ladd being taken in by the police after being found torn up, yet still alive and kicking via being a survivor of the transcontinental.

If I'm not mistaken the Baccano! ova releases were a direct anime adaptation of the "The Grand Punk Railroad Revisited" novel correct? Ladd seemed to have been consistently inquiring about Huey's whereabouts. I'm wondering why he's not adamant about finding and inflicting revenge upon Vino who nearly killed him rather than going after Huey Laforet.
    I'm just hoping too see Huey take on a much larger role further down in the story. Well then again, we'll probably be getting some awesome Huey fandom out of the "Crack Flag" novel. In a sense, I guess that'll be enough for now; though I'm really hoping to see some direct confrontational scenes out of him.
    Good to know, speaking of "The Slash". Juding from the scans it would seem as though Vino, Chane, Tick, Ennis + a whole lot of new characters all get important roles which looks pretty cool. I remember you mentioning that the audience gets introduced to Chris Shouldered as well, He's Huey's homunculus if I'm not mistaken; so Huey's bound to have some influence in that novel saga.

Bah, now I really want to read it but Ive sort of resolved myself to only reading the full text translations. =(

------

Side note: Now that drrr!'s over, how much of the novel series was animated, the whole thing? Or are the Drrr novels still ongoing, spanning past events in the anime....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

He was apprehended at the end of the novels and is referred to a lot in The Slash by Graham until his return in 1934 Alice in Jails, where he plays a major role. Presumably, there's a jail break of some sort.

The DVD-only episodes covered a lot of ground not limited to Revisited. For instance, they included bits of The Slash. Once more cutting all signs of Gandor involvement and Tick Jefferson from the storyline despite the major role they play, especially Tick. Not that I'm bitter...

While he's Huey's homunculus, Chris is more directly tied to the Russo family following his battle with Graham. He basically makes himself Ricardo Russo's bodyguard out of gratitude for her, cough, I mean his caretaking following Chris' defeat. So, I would wager that Huey's role in any situation regarding Chris will lessen with time.

Why is that?

Not even close. The anime basically picked specific focal characters, and then adapted two of the major conflicts including those characters for the first and second half of the show. Incidentally, they cut out most other characters and their development or limited that which was shown, excepting what was necessary to keep the plot moving and keep the fans of the focal character serviced. They also cut out pretty much all of the side scenes which weren't directly connected to the two major conflicts.

And yes, the novels are ongoing and continue on past the anime ending.

3. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Ah, Alice in Jails sounds awesome. By the way, how do you feel about Graham's character? I haven't really encountered anyone who told me they genuinely enjoyed his character and looked upon him fondly. I like him, though I can't say I'm an avid fan of his. He can become a little eccentric and overly compulsive when it comes to all things pertaining to Ladd. Though, when I think about it I am sort of attracted to his eccentric nature in a way, so maybe I am a fan of sorts.

There seems to be a ton of fanart on him too, others seem to really dig him.
    The novel cuts, to shame :argh

If anything, I'm most disappointed in the anime team cutting anything pertaining to the Gandors & Tick. They could have gotten more stuff in the anime, but I guess if they were to add more Gandor + Tick fandom parts of the actually story would have to be cut; so I'm sort of torn.

Either way, Baccano! needs another season :tomacry
    Spoiler:
    If there was another season, what would like to see animated?
    I guess I just like reading everything in one shot, especially with a novel like this where happenings are jammed packed with information and action. To just stop abruptly after a chapter and have to wait a very long time for an update would just rub me the wrong way.

Still though, I don't think this is an excuse. If you really think the partial translations are worth getting into now, then I'll dive right in without questioning it.
    In the end how'd you feel about the Drrr anime adaptation altogether, a rating from you would be interesting indeed.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

I've seen more than a few fans, if only going by the reps I've gotten when wearing Graham sets in the past. At the very least, I know ezxx liked him. And, I feel as though I should reserve judgment on his character until I read him in novel form; mostly due to the fact that, despite loving Sugita Tomokazu, I didn't think his voice was well-cast. It never fit well for me, and so I had a hard time getting into his character.

If I had to say what I thought for the time being, he's fun and interesting as most all Narita's characters are. His zaniness makes him a little more appealing than most, as do his lengthy monologues and massive love of Ladd. I'm especially drawn to his "Love and Peace" mantra placed against his innate destructiveness. And, I have a feeling that the scenes where he falls for Sickle will make me like him even more, once they are translated.

But, at this point, I'm not all that invested in his character, just appreciative. So, I'm a fan but not a devoted one.

Yeah, the fanart drew me in quite a bit, too :3

Except for the fact that a large portion of the story that they were trying to adapt (namely Drugs and Dominoes as well as The Slash) deals enormously with the Gandors. So, by making those cuts, they butchered the story as well as the characters. Not only that but the parts they did include could've been adapted accurately and made sense without the length of the screentime being increased rather than replacing the epic with out-of-character nonsense.

They should have just cut that storyline entirely or done it right in the first time. Best case scenario would've been The Rolling Bootlegs and The Grand Punk Railroad being mashed together in the storytelling form the anime team used for the main series with Drugs and Dominoes along with The Slash receiving a similar treatment in the OVAs but with twice the accuracy of their former incarnations rather than tacking on random scenes from other novels.

Drugs and Dominoes remade!

The Slash in its full form!

Er, everything. It's too difficult to choose just one novel, and it's hard for me to choose novels which I know they would never focus on. For instance, I'd love to see a second season that centered around Maiza's search for the immortals still living post-2000 as the framework for mashing together the plots from Children of the Bottle, The Ironic Light Orchestra, Crack the Flag, and The Bullet Garden/Blood Sabbath. With the latter two being featured in DVD-only OVA releases.

The reason it's difficult for me to imagine them doing this is how the studio seems to choose the characters they plan on making their centerpiece (possibly even lampshaded by the Vice President of Daily Days in his discussions of where the series should start and who should be the main focus character), and then warping the plot to fit that general focal point. And, I just can't see them marketing a series that was centered around mostly "secondary" characters whom they shafted in the original production.

What about you?

I have no willpower when it comes to Baccano!, and I love reading and rereading anything and everything as I wait for new releases. So, I'm pretty much the opposite.
    Haha, it would give you more insight into a good number of characters. But, if you want to wait, then feel free. I just imagine that it will be a very, very long wait. Have you not read Children of the Bottle then? For some reason, I had the impression you'd tried out that awesome guy on Sporelife's translations.

It would be difficult. Having completed it, I can at least say that I think it's inferior to Baccano! by a wide margin, but I can understand why it's more popular. If only due to the characters and setting being more relatable to most (particularly with how accurately the environment was reconstructed as compared to Narita's New York) and the series being more fanservice-based (even just in the novel) as compared to Baccano!.

5. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

I'm not all that familiar with VA's, but if you had to cast someone to do Graham's voice who would you choose and why. I'd imagine someone with a more mischievous undertone, by the way; Koyasu Takehito as Luck was pure heaven <3.
    Either way, cheers to seeing Ladd more in the future; specifically in "Alice in Jails". I can't wait for some translations to pop up, though we may be waiting for sometime. I think there was a Ladd color page in that novel if I'm not mistaken, it does look like the novels plot direction's heading for a jail break :3.
    *You rocked it so well in you set before =P
    Blatant butchery!

I'm torn up about it, though I still loved the anime adaptation despite all it novel faults. In the end, I can't really hate on the anime production team either, they probably had a limited budget, a limited frame of time, and mind bottling story arrangement (As well as giving certain scenes priority over others). I wish they could have got the stuff that we loved in there but what can you do right, bah!
    Crack Flag & The Slash

Admittingly, you turned me into a Huey fan; especially after all the wonderful conversations we had on him. Ive come to adore him though I understand so little.

What's his plans for the future, how exactly does he feel when reflecting on his past, how does he truely feel about Chane, does he regret becoming Immortal, why the distant gaze and observant look that sets him apart from everyone else (Personality change due to happening's in "Crack Flag" perhaps? Ronnie (devil) takes an interest in him and there conversation aboard the Advena Avis was <3).
    I choppily skimmed it after those guys over on Baccano!'s live journal told me to check it out, by the way those guys spoil everything XP. I also looked over some early Slash stuff because some Vino tards told me he had a big role there. I didn't really retain to much information and my memories a bit hazy, I'm also unfamiliar with alot of the newer characters like Chris Shouldered.

Your right, I'm going to have to get into reading the partial translations like now XP
    I didn't finish it yet, still on episode thirteen. I haven't checked it out in a while because I was focusing on catching up on my manga reads. Though, I guess the times appropriate to get back into the series and wrap it up. I can definitely see why its more popular than Baccano!, since its sorta more relatable (to Japanese people, I suppose; the fandoms surrounding certain characters, plot appeal, ect.....).

6. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

I'd have to see more of his personality in the novels to form an opinion on that one. I'm not certain I would want more mischief. From what we have seen, Graham seems to be incredibly straightforward with little talent for the subtlety required for mischief-making outside of the Isaac and Miria variety. To that end, most of his scheming appears simple, and he looks to be the sort of person who is easily influenced. My issue with Sugita was that he just sounds too mature and too contrived as Graham; the fact that he's acting rather than living the role comes across too clearly. This is especially a problem for me due to that frankness I see in Graham.
    Basically my all-time favorite casting.

Miria attempting to break Isaac out of jail will be hilarious and heartwarming. As will be any escape plans Isaac comes up with. Like digging his way out with spoon or something equally ridiculous.
    Ah, you mean this?

And, I loved playing with that image and that artist's work in general.

Excellent!

Oh, and I'm on the fence as regards how much I like him. I know I do like him to some extent, but I am mostly just overwhelmingly interested in his character and actions.

I don't think he feels much of an anything for Chane, excepting vague appreciation for her actions which aid him. But, not personal appreciation so much as appreciating how well the thing he brought into existence has done in exceeding his own expectations in serving its purpose. And, I would imagine that the distance is caused by his willfully choosing to be unaffected, based on how I perceive his feelings towards humanity as being desirable, his perception of Elmer as the only true human, and the one quality of Elmer's which no one else possesses that Huey knows of.

No worries. He hasn't appeared in the translated novel excerpts yet.

7. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

My apologies, I was misunderstanding his character archetype. He causes mischief for everyone else but this doesn't necessarily mean he has a mischievous personality and or dialectual undertone. You are 100% correct in your deduction of him being a more strait forward character than most.
    Haha, I can see Isaac doing something like that. Here's hoping the "Alice in Jails" saga will be over the top and packed with some epic moments XD. I wonder how Isaac even ended up in prison? Something happened to him towards the end of "The Slash" series I'm assuming......
    Absolutely wonderful, dear God; how did you manage to create that blood effect? A texture I'm guessing, either way it looks absolutely gorgeous. I take it you've edited more of that artist's work, yes? If you don't object do post more of your Baccano! edits, they are indeed wonderful =)
    Agreed, more over I'm very interested in his future plans and the actions he plans to take that coincide along with this. Will he become a more prominent future antagonist? Who knows really, though after "Crack Flag" we should hopefully have a more broader understanding of his character and can presumably determine why he is the way he is.
    When Huey asked Elmer if he could make Chane smile, I though he was saying that out of some comforting love for his daughter; or at least that's what I had assumed. At that point, while he was melancholically sitting in his cell discussing certain things with Elmer, I started to think he actually cared for her a little.

Though apparently, Huey never once told Chane he loved her. So I'm more that likely wrong on all of this XP

-------

I'm doing a little summer cleaning in this room of mine, after this; I'll head into the partial novel translations. It should give me a more general understanding of things and we'll have more too talk about XD

8. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

No need for apologies. And, you may turn out to be right that he has a bit of a devious streak, as we haven't seen him in the novels yet. Besides, wanting a character to be portrayed more of a certain way in the adaptation can be all about personal preferences anyways :3

I imagine him attempting to escape with his spoon as Miria or someone else breaks in more explosively, causing his route to be completed instantaneously. Meeting Miria halfway, he brags about how he managed to dig out of his cell, and she fawns over him gleefully with a, "Sugoi!". But, anyways, whatever the scenario, I'm sure it will be glorious.

That might explain why a number of characters were in jail at the same time. Beyond Ladd, who has been in residence since The Flying Pussyfoot massacre. But, I guess, it had to happen eventually with the police force so dedicated to capturing Isaac and Miria, those diabolical masterminds.

After we were talking about Ladd earlier, I had to go back and reread the prologue to Alice in Jails. And, man, he is such a badass. I want more scans of him with his prosthetic arm D:
    Thanks muchly. I hand-drew (well, finger-drew it as I just use a laptop touchpad for all my cursoring needs) it using a couple of different splatter brushes and reds, then edited and erased with a couple of different splatter brushes followed by adding some lighting effects where the added textures didn't mesh.

I wouldn't object only I don't save what I don't use or plan to use. As in, I'll play with an image for an hour in Photoshop, and then trash it once playtime is over. So, I'm not sure what remains excepting that which I've worn for sets or planned to wear in future sets. And, the latter is a folder that I delete regularly as I decide to give the contents a pass, when I look over them again.

But, I'll check my old laptop to see if anything remains sometime today, and check in my folder for used sigs.

Kiks was suggesting this in the SL Convo thread, as well. At this point, I have a hard time imagining him doing so, because I don't see what would motivate him. Not that I can't see him working in his self-interest to the detriment of others but that none of his goals heretofore have been focused enough or aggressive enough to earn him a Big Bad badge, so it's hard for me to imagine why he would suddenly take the title upon himself.

Because, knowing Huey, he would realize exactly what position he was taking as he took it.

Not to be monotonous, but I'll have to read the novel version when it's translated to give my real interpretation. The anime (which, at this point as I'm continually criticizing it, I should probably say that I did adore and do love the adaptation to pieces; I just am much more mad about the novel) tended to shed a more sympathetic light on Chane (possibly due to the fact that Narita didn't like her until the end of The Grand Punk Railroad, but the anime studio adapted her as a focal character for the series). So, until I read it in the novel, I'm skeptical about that scene and how it was acted.

But, I would still say that the words could be more important regarding Huey's bond with Elmer than his feelings for Chane. Rather than asking Elmer to make Chane smile, it was a little tease towards Elmer in the vein of, 'I bet you could make her (so passive and stoic in appearance) smile," or, "Will you try to even make her smile?". This would have been spoken in a similar manner as his earlier tease on the Advenna Avis about how he couldn't speak like Elmer could, following Maiza's reveal that he will not share the information which was given unto him by the great demon, Ronnie.

If it was a line for Chane, then it could just as easily be an expression of that appreciation I was talking about earlier rather than anything approaching love. Like giving an animal food, so that it will continue to live and work for you.

Oh, and a sidenote, my reason for continually referencing Huey and Elmer's bond is that they spend more novels together than most any other set of friends. And, it's rare for one to appear in a title without the other being mentioned in conjunction at some point. So, due to how often it shows up, I see their bond as being of great importance. Particularly as Huey isn't one to let himself get attached.
    Awesome. You will not be disappointed!

9. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Spoiler: Made up Isaac+Miria dialog
    I can't wait to see how Narita handles the dialog in the "Alice in Jails" saga. Should be infinitely entertaining to say the least XD.
    There seems to be alot of fanart pertaining to Ladd and his prosthetic arm. Having a seemingly indestructible limb will only add more damaging abilities to his already incredibly brutish nature.
    Hehe, I'm sort of the same. Though, my set editing tends to be completely hit or miss entirely XD. I edited a few Baccano! images in the past put nothing solid enough to use for a set, I'd have to be extremely lucky to come away with a set I actually like and would use. Sucks too, because I tend to spend quite a large amount of time in Photoshop; all for not XP.
    Please do, the Luck + Eve set was absolute win indeed ;33
    I see what you mean, from what Ive seen he doesn't seem like the type to directly and perpetually antagonize events themselves. He's more like the calm & collected observer of said events, watching all the while from a distance. All this sort of gives his character a distinct allure, the more fandom I get on him the better. Btw, can Huey use astro projection? He's seen conversing with Chane aboard the Flying Pussyfoot, was wondering weather that was an Alchemist power feat or not.
    Ah, looking at it from your perspective does clarify Huey's feelings a bit. Though, I take it, it's definitely certain that he had one genuine love in his life. His early past might help us gain a further understanding of the person he is now. We could examine his character all day and it still wouldn't be enough XD, here's waiting for the epic that is "Crack Flag" <3.

10. Kikyo Some day...

I understand now how memos and the others felt in the convo thread when Megan and I talked Baccano there. One really doesn't want to interrupt the flow of conversation between people. :lmao

11. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Haha, it wouldn't be an interruption! It would be contribution :3

Actually, it's the fact that the prosthetic seems so simplistic and like it should make for such an obvious handicap that Ladd's badassery and violence becomes even more chilling for me. The whole "using the exposed bone to attach the arm" part helps that feeling along, as well.

Actions which align him more with Ronnie, fo' sure.

Not that I know of.

It could be he was predicting the situation she would be in, how she would be feeling, what she would need to hear and what he had told her in the past which she would recall to answer any qualms she may have, while she was recalling or understanding what his answers would be to her unspoken questions at the same time. And, they just made the scene appear as though it was a dialogue, when it was actually two parallel monologues.

It could relate to the mental ties between homonculus and creator, meaning that Chane is not-so human after all. Depending on how you define human, of course. Haha.

It could be astral projection.

Anyone's guess until translations for the scene start to crop up, I suppose.

12. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Horribly late reply, twas busy with things ;33
    I'd welcome anyone who wanted to talk Baccano! with us. I believe Megan and I agree that such conversation is of course encouraged <3.
    I wonder if Ladd ever meets Isaac in prison. If they do, I wouldn't know what to expect from such characters meeting each other XD. A collaborated jail break between those two would be one for the history books indeed. it'll be interesting to see how Narita handled the "Alice in Jails" novels, I'm here anticipating it greatly =).
    Spoiler:
    By the way, what are the chances that the Baccano! novels will ever be licensed in the states and put out officially for purchase. I'm sure it'll be alot more profitable/popular that other titles that have gotten licensed, wonder why no one tries to obtain those rights =(
    Ronnie fandom Kyaaa!!!!
    Ah, I see. I was thoroughly confused by that whole scene entirely. I know Szilard never showed an "Astral" like power feat before. Even with his own created Homunculus Ennis, he had to touch her forehead in order to exchange/share information if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully the novels make an attempt to clear that scene up a bit, if the novel focuses more on Chane's perspective, then we may get our answer as to what method Huey was using to communicate.

------

Nice to see a fanart depicting such an amazing scene. The anime should have never cut anything having to do with the Gandor's. A crime I say, an utter Crime!!!!

13. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Fear on Isaac's part masked by bravado and inappropriate media references? The thought of him slapping Ladd on the back in a fit of camaraderie is unlikely to come true but mucho amusing. And, I'm not sure if they meet one another. I know Ladd and Firo interact.

Highly improbable but not impossible. It irritates me that Vamp! was actually licensed already rather than Baccano!, but the publishers apparently never followed through with the release. I have it on pre-order, once it does get published though.

And, I'm hoping that the large Japanese fandom for DRRR!! will be mirrored by a similar burst in American love-love for the series, because I'm banking on Narita's work getting more attention from English publishers as the adaptations become more popular. But still, highly improbable that it will happen anytime soon. Alas.

I would again state that Huey's genius far outstrips Szilard. So, being able to connect mentally over distances rather than using touch could be a possibility based on the fact that such a connection is in any way possible in the first place.

14. Kikyo Some day...

oh yes, I completely agree. I don't mind at all if someone jumps in on the convo. But now I also see from memosh's perspective at as well. You just don't want to. lol

In any case. I had a Baccano! related epiphany today when the radio played "Some Kind of Wonderful" by Grand Funk Railroad. I literally :facepalm myself when I realized that was why I thought Grand Punk Railroad sounded so familiar. :lmao

For Chane from Claire

15. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Haha, that's similar to what I went through when I came to the realization that all of the novel titles were plays on band names. Lots of facepalming and laughter. As of now, I think the list runs as follows:

The Rolling Bootlegs - The Rolling Stones
    The Grand Punk Railroad - Grand Funk Railroad
    Drugs & Dominoes - Derek and the Dominoes
    Children of the Bottle - Children of Bodom
    The Slash - The Clash
    Alice in Jails - Alice in Chains
    Peter Pan in Chains - Alice in Chains
    The Ironic Light Orchestra - The Electric Light Orchestra
    Blood Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Bullet Garden - Sound Garden
    Crack the Flag - Black Flag

The only one I'm lost on is Another Junk Railroad, unless it's just another reference to Grand Funk Railroad.

Also, what do you think the significance is of having the titles of the novels be the names of bands? I wonder if the band choice itself has anything to do with the story's contents, or if it was just done because it sounds very cool.

Oh Claire (and Chane by extension) <3

16. Kikyo Some day...

yep, I've been doing that tonight too. :amuse

but your list is more complete than mine. :laugh

I'm not familiar with Derek and the Dominoes or Children of Bodom. And I think it's probable Grand Funk Railroad has 2 novels paying homage to it.

Narita wouldn't be the first (or last) author to draw inspiration from other media and pay homage in some way. It could be as simple as he was listening to the Stones as he wrote the first novel and found that a little word play could title the novel as well. Then he thought... hey maybe it's fate, I should title all the novels that way! lol I can sorta see that he might have on some music when writing, as the Gandors do manage a jazz club and the speakeasies always had singers and bands as well.

Not being familiar with all the bands, or all the contents of the novels, I can't say for sure if they are related. But it seems a bit unlikely to me. I'm not even sure that Narita listens to all of them. It's an eclectic mix of music and genre, ELO especially stands out, the rest could be called "general" rock.

17. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Blues-rock band formed around 1970 by Eric Clapton. It was actually one of odder musical choices from my perspective, as all of the other bands are harder rock in style or theme (comparatively). Derek and the Dominoes was all about the wife-stealing love songs and vocal harmonies.

But, I suppose, when I think of the emotions contained in Drugs and Dominoes, there is definitely quiet love (i.e. Keith and Kate <333) and not-so quiet love (i.e. Edith and Roy) and the start of a true love (i.e. Chane and Claire) and incredible sibling love (i.e. the Gandors; Eve and Dallas; Lia and Fan)...

Huh, there's a lot of love in that novel.

Finnish heavy metal band.

And, that's good enough for me!

True enough. Still, it leads me to want to reread the novels with the various bands playing to see the possibilities that might leap out. The most interesting right from the start was probably Crack the Flag and Black Flag. Even if the band choices have nothing to do with the novel itself beyond BGM, I like that a novel centered around Huey and Elmer pays homage to a hardcore punk band widely known for its nonconformist message and themes of isolation.

And, having the Electric Light Orchestra with such songs as "Evil Woman", "Strange Magic", "Can't Get It Out Of My Head", "Turn To Stone" for a novel where-

Spoiler: Ironic Light Orchestra Spoilers
    -we discover that Huey's mother was burned at the stake as a witch, which begins his psychological corruption and apparent sociopathy that's worsened by Monica's probable death in Crack the Flag,

-is pretty wonderful.

I wouldn't say it's all that eclectic. I mean, every single band is a part of the umbrella genre of rock with the less well-known artists all being a bit hardcore and the the softer choices coming from internationally acclaimed rock staples. If there was a pop artist thrown in or a classical reference or something that was legitimately blues rather than blues-rock, then I would be more likely to agree.

But, I do agree that the names could be chosen for no other reason than their being interesting.

18. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Apparently, Baka-tsuki has welcomed a new translator to the Baccano! project a little over a week ago. And, they are focusing their efforts on Alice in Jails. Serious focus. There's already a whole bunch of the volume posted, from the introductory vignettes up through Prologue III (excluding Prologue II which has already been translated by that awesome guy on Sporelife).

As if that weren't enough, dawnelkin has also updated of The Slash <3

19. Alveare I like headbands.

I officially love you. Now I have some catching up to do...

20. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Damn everyone's in prison pretty much XD. Shit's going to hit the fan in a major way, I have to wonder what role Firo's going to play when everything goes down. Whether characters are going to rally together to make for a bust, a free for all with rambunctious confusion on all sides, or the likely help from the outside.

Though the "Alice in Jails" plot could become something else entirely, since I have a very dismal understanding of what's going on in said novel.
    The thought of Narita sitting there writing each novel with a specific band in mind does tickle me so. As in for instance, trying to take influence and mirror the brash and heavily distorted sound of Alice in Chain's in conjunction to the Alice in Jail's novels. Though if this were the case, we would probably see distinct differences in the mood of each novel.

Well we kinda do I guess, "The Rolling Bootlegs" definitely feels more refined and mellow as opposed to lets say "The Grand Punk Railways". But alas, I'm more than likely reading too far into things here.
    I wonder how much Narita favors Huey as a character. He seems to give him a ton of novel time, dedicating two novels too his plight. Narita could have focused on any number of the original immortals during the 1700's period, yet he choose to focus on Huey specifically.
    I didn't see Baccano! on MU's manga update list so you caught me by surprise. I'm going to head into Alice in Jails now <3

21. Kikyo Some day...

22. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Okay. After reading the Alice in Jails introductions, I agree with you Kiks.

Spoiler:
    Huey has the potential to be a real Big Bad.

I'm amazed, too! If nothing else, such a large chunk all at once is almost overwhelming in its awesome <3
    Haha, well, looking at how one chapter's titled "Let's Break Out!"...

I agree. I do think that there are different moods to each novel, while they still retain that Narita feel. Probably has a lot to do with how character-driven his writing is where different casts create different sorts of stories.

And, he even plays a major role in Alice in Jails, apparently. If the introduction choices are anything to go by, which they usually are. It could be that his character is being intentionally built up throughout the novels, so that he might better play some larger, overarching series role in a later volume.

23. Kikyo Some day...

oh dear, this is gonna be another wild ride. New characters, more Huey, more Firo, Talbot, and the Nebula organization? I want MORE! :ruri

must sleep now... I stayed up to read... hopefully I'll have Baccano dreams :iria

24. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Spoiler: About Firo Prochainezo - Recollections of the Gandor Brothers
    Can I just say one thing, I simply adore the perspective we're getting this chapter!

"How other characters perceive Firo", really nice to see the novels open up with this. Instead of the reader judging Firo's character, we get to see how the Gandor's no less feel about him and thus further emphasis his "heart of gold, yet still a true mobster" persona.

Since I'm a bias Firo fan, I kinda fangasm'd
    Spoiler: The Joyful Reminiscence of Elmer C. Albatross
    Greatest villain line of the decade, okay I'm going overboard but still XD

Love what we saw here, Elmer wholeheartedly letting the readers seep into the perception of Huey's character. I adored it, not to mention the fact that Elmer pretty much stated that Huey was a calculative genius sent my heart aflutter.

Btw, who's this Alchemy teacher they speak of? At first I thought it was Maiza, though obviously that isn't the case.

25. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Spoiler:

Getting to read the Gandor brothers having their little discussion was such a treat. I love how familiar and homely their talks are, and how you can so easily figure out who is speaking by the language used. The number of times the word "stupid" was uttered in their recollections of Firo made me laugh. And, it was great to hear the ever-wise Keith lay down the final truth.

I also enjoyed seeing Luck's thoughtfulness continue unabated in his questioning of the nature of Firo's relationship with Ennis and how their existences might no longer be human (meaning, by extension, that neither he nor his brothers are). It's little nods like that which give me cause to marvel at Narita's character work; it's always so tight and consistent.

And, I agree with Nile (an odd experience) when it comes to Victor; the latter's attitude is almost harder to like than Szilard's totally repulsive personality. On the other hand, Huey becomes more and more interesting with Elmer's referring to him as an idiot being pretty adorable. The Graham passage was also great with how much personality came through. While reading it, I found myself real appreciative of this new translator for more than just their transcripts. They really seem to have captured Narita's voice and the voice of the characters in their translating.

Speaking of appreciation, I greatly appreciated the little nod to the Daily Days in the first prologue, especially the bit where they explained how the President and Vice President react to criticism. And, I'm interested in the purpose behind the Nebula Organization other than the collection of immortal eyeballs, particularly finding out what use they plan to put those eyes to. Sham is also all kinds of baffling, and it will be interesting to see what role this new being will play.

The Slash -
    Spoiler:

Jacuzzi and the gang's new abode came as a surprise, but the images which we saw in the anime are slowly starting to make more and more sense. Isaac and Miria spread the usual happiness without even trying, and their samurai tangent (i.e. the seppuku bit :lmao) was especially amusing.

Even wilder than I was expecting. The joy of Narita: you always get more than you paid for (if the novels were licensed, and one had the ability to buy them in one's own language).

It could be Ronnie, as the demon did seem to "enjoy" Huey's company in the past.

26. Kikyo Some day...

It really was so nice to read the Gandor Brothers talking. And Keith! omg! KEITH SPOKE! /dies Poor Firo though. :lmao everyone has the same opinion about him. I do agree that it was pretty easy to tell who was saying what in that particular section. Luck is always so philosophical. For such close brothers, they are all so different!

You know Megan, I'm not sure I wanted to be right about Huey. :uwah Still, his ambitions have been revealed. And as it was Elmer who revealed them, I'm inclined to believe Huey actually meant it. I too wondered who the Master might be. I thought about Ronnie, but I'm not so sure they meant him. I don't know who it might be, but I think we might a see another new character for the Master. Maybe it was Elmer's cult leader? Or someone else entirely. :hmm

Victor seems different than I thought he'd be. Not that it means much, lol. But from how he was described and how he interacted with Firo, he just seemed a bit more cavalier than I had imagined he'd be for an Immortal in his position/job.

And does this mean that Ladd is gonna meet Firo in California? :iria

I do so want to know more about Nebula!

27. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Haha, I know what you mean. Yet, now that we know what they are, I do like how it brings up the possibility of a climactic franchise end. As in, a larger than all that have become before threat built up throughout nearly every novel coming to a head in the final volume. Of course, I'd love it if the Baccano! novels continued on until Narita's death from old, old age forced them to a close. But, it still makes for an interesting possibility should the series have to end.
    I agree.

Most likely candidate is probably the boys' teacher from 1705 The Ironic Light Orchestra, wherein they first began studying alchemy in Lottovalentino, Italy.

I agree. His aggression took me off-guard, as I was expecting someone more boring stoic.

The reference to experimentation on bodies and whatnot could point to another group searching for immortality or similar methods for perfecting the human animal.

EDIT: And, our wonderful translators continue to release!

InProgress came out with the transcript for 2002 Bullet Garden's first prologue:

And, dawnelkin from Baka-Tsuki has posted up Epilogue I from 1931 Grand Punk Railroad (Local Chapter): . Specially noted by the translator is the fact of this volume being translated in order despite the epilogue following on the heels of the introductions; the novel's structure is just abnormal.

28. Ziko Superhero

So I finished the anime a while ago, and yeah, I'm hooked.
    WHY I think it was awesome is the same as the rest of you, the story is great and all the characters are AWESOME. My favourites being Firo, Ladd and Vino.

I also checked out the manga, even though just a few chapters are scanlated. I like Ladd's character design is much cooler in the manga, but except that, I can't say much about the manga.

I guess now would be the time to check out the biggest part and best part of the Baccano! Universe, the light novels, which some of you refer to as "Masterpieces". I just downloaded "The Rolling Bootlegs" and I must say I'm not confortable reading "books" like this on my PC. I will if I have to, but have NONE of these novels been released in "Paper form", and do any of you guys read it in any other way? I guess it's a pretty stupid question and I'll probably get used to it in a while, just thought I'd ask.

29. Kikyo Some day...

woot! More reading material! I'm liking this trend :del

Ziko, nope, the novels aren't licensed in the US, so it's fantranslations online. But we've been blessed with some talented translators and a rush of activity lately. :occa

Ah, Ironic Light Orchestra! Yes, yes, I can see that person as being the "master" Huey spoke of.

I suppose that every good series should have a climatic finale and Huey would do a good job of being a catalyst for that. I wouldn't mind endless Baccano novels either, but I can see where Narita might want it to end sometime. lol

30. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

I felt the same way, it's interesting to see just how familiar Firo is with the Gandor's; who just so happen to be another mafia family; yet the two don't conflict which is incredibly fascinating. Heck, it would seem that the Gandor's have even attached a bit of nostalgia in regards to Firo's character.

One would assume that way back in the 1930's, two family's with properties and interests incredibly close to one another would conflict. It would seem like the Gandor's and the Martillo's have an almost unspeakable understanding of one another.
    I wholeheartedly agreed with Nile as well, Victor is an incredibly unlikeable character; possible more so than Szilard. I loved how he was constantly referred to as a hypocrite and that his character should always be looked at with a sense of pity, even more so than the other alchemists.

I wonder what resolved him to join the FBI and start the hunt for the immortals. I had hypothesized that he had his own reasons and didn't do it out of a sense of some flawed self justice. Perhaps he just doesn't want to get devoured by the other immortals and decided to capture them before they decide to go after him. I thought it would be interesting if circumstances played out this way, but again; no matter the direction plot wise, Narita will have some great things in store for Victor's character.
    Hehe, would be rather interesting if is actually is Ronnie. Huey and Ronnie seem like kindred spirits in a way, or rather "Two birds of a feather". I always thought that Ronnie seemed sort of condescending to every else except Huey, putting his character on the same level as himself when conversing.
    The manga was heresy, the equivalent of defecating on the holy bible. Yes, it's on that level.

------

Twas a tad bit busy, great to see all these new novel updates. Going to try and get through the rest of the new translations as quickly as I can.