1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Backgrounds more interesting?

Discussion in 'Konoha TV' started by Catterix, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Catterix is a super awesome

Does anyone else find that often in animes like Naruto, the background story is sometimes so much more interesting or epic than the actual current one? For me, storylines like Gaara's background, or the 3 Sannin's story, and even in other anime's like Chopper's background story in One Piece was so much more effective than anything at that moment in the arc, and would have been even more interesting had that been the storyline.

For example, the 3 Sannin Story. I personally find that more interesting and had more potential than the Team 7 storyline. Orochimaru's turn to the "dark side" was for more gripping and creepy (I mean, kidnapping younger Ninja's to experiment on them, I mean how awe-inspiring would that be to find out in an actual storyline) than Sasuke's plot for revenge.

I'm in no way bashing the canon storylines, and I understand that they kind of became better because the writers think backwards, because they have the current position, and then work backwards from that, choosing what's most effective and interesting, but still.

Anyone agree or disagree?

PS. And yay, I finally got 1,000 posts!

Tags:
  2. Syphilis And Disorder GB's Mannequin ♥

Sure, there are some interesting background stories, but you need them. If orochimaru was another bad guy out of thin air, there wouldn't be a real bond with the character that makes him so evil. To create a feel to him, they make a history of him, that lets you know how bad he is.

But how cool the story is, you won't be able to bring every background story as main story, it would be impossible to do.

3. Squire of Fate Active Member

I feel that the background story isn't that important, how the story advances is where it's at.

4. gokuden553 Banned

Backgrounds are all that the animation studio for Naurto are good at, all the rest is mostly a bunch of poorly drawn animation.

5. Catterix is a super awesome

I just meant in storyline terms. To me, if Team 7 went through what the Sannins went through as well as having things like the love triangle, it would have been a much more interesting story than the one we have now, where we have the love triangle, one character for revenge, goes off an abandones his friends.

And this thought occured to me and I just realised that often the background stories of characters are often much more interesting, or emotional, or cleverly written than the actual storyline. For example, I find Chopper's background storyline about him being abandoned, hated by both animals and humans, finding a friend, learning about being a doctor, being kicked out, then facing against his own fears for this one friend, who dies anyway, much more interesting than the Straw Hat Crew fighting to protect a village which was the canon storyline.

That's what I'm saying, not what Background storylines aren't important, or that we should bring every background story into the canon. I mean that they would be better if they were the canon and the actual canon we have, doesn't exist. That's what I'm trying to get across, I guess I'm not conveying it all.

And GokuDen.... what on earth are you on about?

6. gokuden553 Banned

Sorry when your title said "Backgrounds more interesting" I thought you meant animation backgrounds and not story backgrounds ^^;

7. Kelci Fanfic Whore

The only time I really looked at the background was the waterfall episode. When Naruto peeked on Hinata training (it looks more like dancing if you ask me) on the water. The scenery there was really beautiful.

8. Catterix is a super awesome

Sorry everyone, I think I'll change the name of the thread. I'm talking about storyline, not background animation.

Although Kelci-chan, i definately agree with you there, the background in that ep was beautiful.

EDIT: It seems with this new format, I can't edit the name of the title. Gargh!

9. z0dd Noob Saibot

You know if the anime had been about the sannin's and Naruto's story being let's say a "fortelling" if you will, it would be vise versa kinda like the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side".

10. dragonbattousai The Lost Jedi

I like the background stories when they are animated more than in the manga, because they bring out the emotional music to go with it. The only manga that brings tears to my eyes is the One Piece backstories. Manga or animated, One Piece has that emotion feel to them, but for Naruto it is only when it is animated.

Spoiler:
    Although I did have some feelings for the Kakashi Gaiden when Obito got crushed.

11. Perixie Peroxide Pixie

It's funny how many people actually don't read the OP, isn't it?
    I agree with you to some degree, i find the background stories to my personal favourite characters (Gaara, Kankurou, Sai) more interesting than say, Sasuke's (whom i, personally, dislike). Then again, the storylines connected to the main characters are the ones that Kishimoto feels are most important. I guess it depends on whether one cares about a character and thus wants to know more about them, as team 7 are, obviously, Kishi's favourites.
    I agree with you about seeing more Sannin action, they each have pretty large backgrounds going on there (seeing as they've lived for so long) which would be really interesting to see.

12. Lithe-Fider My brain explodes

Oh heck yes, I totally agree. ^^ I love hearing about characters backstories or seeing flashbacs and stuff. I love the depth it adds; makes it care about the characters (which is like one of the most important things a series should make sure it does XD ).

I like them as long as they don't last too lengthy though, because during the Sasuke VS Naruto battle the flashbacks got really excessive XD; It was like almost three straight episodes of flashbacks. >_>