1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Bastard!! discussion thread

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by Aldric, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Aldric Well-Known Member

Since there was no thread dedicated to this awesome manga, I'm taking care of this oversight.

Anybody here familiar with Bastard!! ? For those who aren't, Bastard!! is a seinen manga taking place in a brutal medieval world, telling the story of Dark Schneider, a powerful, evil wizard and his quest to conquer the world where he'll fight against men, demons and gods.

The story may seem classical at first, yet it's actually everything but that. Bastard!! originality lies in the fact it's an extremely violent manga, (probably the goriest manga still published today with Berserk) with plenty of sex scenes as well, and at the same time it's hilarious.

It doesn't take itself seriously at all, the author Kazushi Hagiwara constantly breaks the fourth wall by making his characters talk about the fact they're starring in a manga in the middle of a fight or with his hilarious comments in the margins and below panels.

Most of the classical codes of shonen manga are also mocked and parodied, and of course the main source of humor comes from the "hero" Dark Schneider who's probably one of the funniest, most original main characters ever, having none of the qualities you usually find in your typical protagonist ala Goku, Luffy or Naruto, instead acting more like a violent, arrogant, lecherous villain.

Finally I couldn't end this short introduction without talking about the art, arguably the best art of all currently published mangas. Hagiwara reaches breathtaking levels in the later volumes, as shown here:

Anyway, if you never heard about Bastard!! before and want to give it a shot, I suggest you to check the pimping project I started in the Outskirts Trading Post, I'm part of a group that is currently scanlating the manga and we're quickly releasing new chapters every week:

The Bastard!! pimping project

So, those who already are familiar with the manga, any opinions about the current story, do you have any favorite characters, your expectations for the future of the Bastard!! manga? Discuss away!

Tags:
  2. Captain Pimp Sugoi!

I like the humor that goes on between Gala and DS. Those two crack me up alot :lmao

And I wonder if there will be at least one woman that can resist DS's love charm xD

3. Wobbly Retired Staff Retired Staff

He just gropes em up, and they turn to mush.

I personally want to know the true extent of DS' current powers, since he seems to rarely be concerned in his battles.

4. Zaru ________________________________ Retired Staff

How many volumes are scanlated by now? And how is your scanlation project going, hatey?

5. Wobbly Retired Staff Retired Staff

We've already released 4 volumes, and we'll probably start releasing the first chapter of volume 5 today as well.

6. Aldric Well-Known Member

The only time he showed concern was before fighting against Lars Ul, and at that time he was far more powerful than when the manga started.

As for girls resisting him... Without spoiling too much let's just say getting into Yoko's pants is no easy task.

7. Yak Well-Known Member

Nice idea with the thread.

So, fellow Bastard!! readers, if you have any questions feel free to ask us and we will see if we can answer them (spoiler-proof, of course). ;)

8. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

I'm loving reading the scanlations, a chapter a day is excellent. I have a few to catch up with now since I've been gone for a few days.

I hope you guys who know whats going on humour us whilst we wait on the scanlations =p

9. Yak Well-Known Member

Haha, we will take care of it, mori, no problem. ;)

What I've been wondering, since we are quite a bit into the story now, do people identify with some of the characters already and start to have favourite characters by now?

10. Wobbly Retired Staff Retired Staff

He's a goofy bastard, but he's still pwnage when he needs to be. Comedy relief + pwnage characters have always been my favorite type.

I also like Arshes, not just for her tits, but also because I have to respect any woman that's able to get DS to *spoiler*.

11. Aldric Well-Known Member

I suppose Gala should be fairly popular, even if he hasn't done much yet. How can you possibly hate the guy?

edit Well... Beaten.

12. Lazlow I believe you

I'm loving the manga. My brother owns all the 24 volumes published so far, but he keeps them in a sacred place....Yes, he loves Bastard!! THAT much. xD

Favorite character's got to be DS, I just love the interaction between him and Yoko.

Really great idea on starting the pimping project. :thumbs

Also, can't wait until you guys reach the later volumes. Just looking at that art......:drool

13. Taleran Back to Nothing

I don't think theres a character who I don't like (well except the ones that your not supposed to like)

which seems to be common with all the mangas I really like

14. Tuxx God of Destruction

I know this probably isn't the place to ask... or is it? ^^ But anyone wanna spot me vol. 17 and 18? Those are the only raws I am missing.

I am planning to buy the Viz manga of this soon... did they cut or leave anything out? Just curious.

15. Taleran Back to Nothing

Bastard!! fans deliver, from what I've heard the Viz version was translated to the wrong age level of audience

16. Tuxx God of Destruction

*reps away*

17. Aldric Well-Known Member

Same with me. Except Bastard!! is actually the only manga (with Berserk maybe) where there isn't at least one character I find annoying. The only one I'm not really fond of is
    Spoiler:
    Kal Su
    cause I find him rather bland and devoid of personality, but even him is no way near as bad as the usual "prettyboy with a sad past" archetype that lead to trainwrecks like Sasuke.

The rest of the cast is awesome.

18. Taleran Back to Nothing

and since theres really nothing else to talk about atm

this is by far my favourite moment in the scans currently out

Spoiler:

god that scene had me in stitches

19. Aldric Well-Known Member

Hopefully he'll make his comeback soon. According to Hagi he's still alive.

20. Tuxx God of Destruction

Since I can't find any actually info if they did, I'm just going to assume so. Most if not all manga that gets ported over here are missing lots of things from the original. :( But I still pray they didn't. *sigh*

Anyways, Viz is up to vol. 14, and vol. 15 is coming out next week. Time to go shopping soon. ><

21. Taleran Back to Nothing

damn I'm debating going into TMoHS threads all over the net posting that Harem picture (censored version of course)

22. Aldric Well-Known Member

(and post the links to said threads here)

23. Yak Well-Known Member

Favourite characters? Hm.. I like almost anyone of the cast, among the Riders of Havoc however, Kal is my favourite. Of course, he's that typical stoic bishi boy which falls in the same categories as Sasuke/Itachi/Byakuya etc. which is why he might come off as a bit annoying however one has to consider that he was basically one of the archetypes of those characters and was long there before people like Sasuke or similar designs made an appearance.

Plus, I love his ice-related magic. :3

Abigail and Gala I like equally much, however I'd only wish Hagi gave Gala a bit more opportunity to pwn and to develope some more variation with his techniques rather than just spamming (Shin) Majin Ken's.
    Spoiler:
    Though, granted, later in the manga he has a pretty broken move...

Abigail is pretty mysterious yet hilarious and badass at once. He knows a lot of stuff and has access to things even DS only could dream of. Very cool character, albeit a bit creepy XD

The only one of the 4 Riders who doesn't really do anything to me is Ney. :/ Yeah, I said it, go kick me now. I simply don't like her that much, she doesn't particularly interest me. The only interesting part is that whole love-triangle thing with DS and Yoko going on, I wonder what will come off from that.

As for side characters, Dai Amon is fucking awesome imo and I simply love Kay Han, she's ultra sexy, badass and just overall <3 <3 <3

There's some more minor characters I love but that would be kinda spoilerific, that's why I leave it out for now.

24. Aldric Well-Known Member

I find Ney kinda annoying actually. The way she's hopelessly clinging to DS and spending most of her time crying and whining when he's around, it gets old fast. It's a shame cause her design, especially in the latest volumes is gorgeous and she's damn powerful for a female character in a manga. Some of her interactions with Gala crack me up though.

Agreed with Gala and Abigail. But personally my all time time favorite is
    Spoiler:
    Lars Ul. He was only active for a couple of volumes in his human form but he made more of an impression than 90% of the cast DS excepted IMO. Incredibly charismatic character. His fighting style conveys an impressive feeling of power and he's an inspirational leader, but he also can be pretty hilarious, as shown when he was in his baby dragon form. He's the one I really want to see go all out after the time skip.

25. Yak Well-Known Member

As for Ney, hm, we have to wait and see how she will change/has changed throughout the manga until the current point now. A lot of stuff has happened, as we all know.

Spoiler:

As for Lars, yeah, he's definitely one of the best characters Hagi ever created. He was the original enemy of DS and the only one whom DS actually ever "feared", so to speak, judging by his concern if he would actually survive the fight with him. He still has lots of potential to exploit, I'm looking forward to him fighting again.

Seeing how the first time skip of 2 years has evolved the characters strengthwise overall, I expect much from the second, 4 years time skip.

I'd only wish Hagi could somehow make it possible for the original Riders of Havoc to reappear. I mean, bring them back from the death or shit and having them waltz in as a whole crew making the current guys a little bit like noobs. XD It would be freaking hilarious to have Gala with his 2.000 ninja and then seeing Iason coming with his assassin's guild and looking all pwnsome. XD

Or Gain talking smack to Kal or shit. XD Or Shishi... being just Shishi. That guy is so impressive, he just needs to stand there and do nothing and everyone would go "Oooh!"

26. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

I'm not quite sure who's really my fav character, the more minor characters haven't had all that much screentime yet and some things about DS bother me a bit.

I'll see what happens over the next few volumes.

27. Yak Well-Known Member

DS is a difficult character, especially in the beginning. He is (and will always be) overly boastful and arrogant (often to his own misfortune :p) but over time that other, positive site in him becomes way more apparent. I know he can be very irritating and even annoying at times, but I think it becomes better by the time we approach the mid of the manga (around vol. 11 - 14).

28. Aldric Well-Known Member

I always thought DS' arrogance was bearable cause he gets the living shit punched out of him by Yoko when he goes overboard or Lars comments on how much of a douchebag he is. Basically the author doesn't glorify his attitude and it fits with Bastard!! overall atmosphere, it musn't be taken at face value.

Spoiler:
    As for the original Riders, they definitely should come back. What's impressive with them is they're completely different from other characters created by Hagi, they all have unique personalities. Only problem I see is they were a bunch of evil bastards.

If Shishi could probably be resurrected by the Adam of Light, since he was an overall good guy even if he had to struggle against his killing intent, the other three are probably rotting in hell. A dark knight who slaughtered thousands of men and stole their soul, a grandfather of assassins who only had respect for power and bloodlust and a half succubus who abducted and sexually tortured young maids... Somehow I don't see them being brought back to fight against demons.

But yeah it'd definitely be a fanboy dream. Shishi and Iason are an awesome duo, Gain would probably hold a grudge against Kal and Ikal could hit on Yoko... That'd be awesome.

29. Yak Well-Known Member

Lol. Getting the shit knocked out by Yoko? Yeah, that's true, however, I always thought to even DS' arrogance out - unlike many other nowaday's main characters and shonen heroes - DS almost ALWAYS literally gets the shit kicked out of himself by his opponents either.

No matter how much he smacktalks, he gets cut up badly, smashed through meter thick stone boulders, bones broken, limbs ripped off... you get the idea. Unlike the guys from nowadays who get the beating of the lifetime and then somehow manage to shrug it off somehow, DS really gets mortally wounded. No matter how strong a wizard he is, in the end his body is human and if he is hit by a fucking blade, he gets cut. What I love is that regardless of how much his body is tortured, he pushes himself over the limit and struggles on even if he dies from it. Its very similar to Gutts.

I also appreciate his stubborn mind. Sometimes its annoying but if he has set his mind on doing something, he fucking does it, no matter what. And if he says he's going to protect his friends or Yoko, then he freakin' does it, no matter what. In that way, Dark Schneider is an awesome hero.

30. Aldric Well-Known Member

True, true. I think people may have troubles with him at first cause he's so unusual for a main character. But after a while you get used to his antics and discover that he does have a lot of the qualities you find in classical heroes, like an iron will to protect or avenge his friends, only difference is he calls them his "servants".