1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Battle Angel Alita

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by Levinn, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Levinn

So who all likes this manga? Gunnm right now is definitely my favorite manga, man I have 1-5,7 and 1-4 of Last Order, I can't find 6 and 8,9 haven't been republished yet I believe. But yeah what do the rest of you think about it?
    Oh yeah, new game for the nextbox as well as a live action movie.

Tags:
  2. IkariBattousai

Battle Angel Alita is an awesome manga. I believe the author won a pulitzer for it at one point. Not too shabby if that's not just a rumor. I have high expectations for the live action movie. James Cameron better not do us any injustice with it though. I haven't heard about the game though. It's gonna be for the next XBox though? I hope it turns out good, and not like the GITS games. Did you watch the anime? It was only two episodes long but it was pretty kick ass. Had a lot of potential but it got cut short for some reason.

3. Gutsu

Yeah James Cameron has commented on Battle Angel Alita being three movies long his directing the first one but he hasn't decided if he himself direct the 2nd and 3rd movie.

About the game: From Link removed

"Director James Cameron, in association with Microsoft, reportedly revealed at the currently ongoing Game Developers Conference:

"In my next film, I can only tell you what we're planning on doing which is simultaneous developing a major motion picture and hopefully a major game title that co-exists in the same world, that share characters. Going into that world will actually inform those watching the film and vice-versa."

Cameron has previously stated that his intention is to make his next film an American live action adaptation of Yukito Kishiro's Gunnm manga, known in America as "Battle Angel."

About the manga Last Order is now up to vol 7 in Japan I only have the first 7 volumes of the Battle Angel Alita I'm waiting for the 8th volume 2nd edition.

4. Lizzy-kun

This is a really awesome series I've got all the available english volumes right now and waiting for Last Order vol. 5, I think it comes out next month...I've been hearing about James Cameron directing Battle Angel since about two years ago now. I think Jessica Alba should play Alita. She kind of looks like Alita too... it would suck if he didn't direct the other two movies in the series he plans. That tends to be what kills off a really good series.

5. Levinn

I hate you!!! But yeah I'm on Last Order 4 here and I just got 6 and 8 of the original, just have to wait for the last book now. No I haven't seen the anime but I have seen trailers for it, it did look like it was good, how were the voices? The info on the game is on gamespot, check it out if you want, I don't have a link.
    But yeah does anyone know if the original game was any good?

What was your favorite one? Wait changed it, it had to have been book 5 when Alita went berserk on Desty Nova... dam that was hot looking.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  6. Fairady

Love this series. For the movie I've heard rumors that they're going to use CG for Gally, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. If you're going to CG the main character there is no point in making it a live action movie. I'm only up to four on Last Order, but I've got all of the original volumes.

Well, except for the side story, can't remember what it's called now. Anyone read it? I was never quite sure I wanted to get it.

7. Gutsu

Believe or not it's true Cameron already commented that Alita will be CG whille other actors will be in real person. Bah I'm too lazy to find the link as to when he said that lol use google. :p

8. IkariBattousai

I don't know if I quite agree with you there. I mean, Alita is an android, and she doesn't even look completely human in the manga. I think Cameron knows what he's doing, and I don't think he'll screw us all over.

9. Levinn

Wow you just called Alita an android... I hope that was a mistake cause my friends use that as an insult when comparing chars against me. But yeah she is a cyborg and I'm expecting some cg just not way to much... cause then why even use people. But yeah manga update, I'm getting books 6 and 8 this weekend, one more to go.

10. IkariBattousai

Pardon my mistake in vocabulary. Anyway, I have seen far less of the manga than I'd like to. One of these days I'll have the money to get started on picking that up, because for the most part I'm against downloading licensed series... unless of course Funimation gets the license because I hate them.

11. hitman

the manga definately rocks. its true that gally will be CG, concidering she's a cyborg with metal limbs, having a live actress adorning a green body suit and what-not for the whole duration of shooting would be a killer on not only her, but the visual effects department. it would be easier for cameron and crew to just impose a CG gally into a real world environment.

12. IkariBattousai

I have to agree there. I can't imagine its easy to do CGI over a real person.

13. Perish

Alita is a great manga series that they're screwing the fans on. Seriously, they already had the entire first series translated for at least the last 10 years in America when it was first being distributed by Viz in left to right orientation. Now they have 3 volumes of the original and 4 of Last Order... why not wait for the end of the first series before starting up Last Order? Sometimes the manga world bugs.

14. yongoroo

I think there was a game based on Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita) in Japan a while ago, before the Last Order series began. It was on one of the previous generation consoles, PS or Saturn, or maybe it was even Dreamcast. From what I remember, it had info on her origins on Mars, and was supposed to be canon with the manga series.
    Funny though how the original manga isn't really canon with the current series, since Kishiro ret-conned the last couple of volumes out of continuity.

15. Lammy

This is all good and Battle Angel Alita was the first anime to actually get me teary. When Hugo fell aaaah. And the music was awesome! I got the manga too and can't wait for the James Cameran rendition. The only gripe I have about it is that he wants to try some crazy new 3d Camerawork trickery and wants to play it in 'Digital theatres'... now uh, I don't think that's gonna be a great idea to take off those 3d/digital/stereo theatres. It really does suck to wear those 3d red/blue glasses :(

16. Levinn

Yeah the game was on PS. But yeah I think he ret-conned 8 and 9. But yeah so far my quest for book six is still to no avail. I now have 7 and 8, but wont read them until I can get six. Stupid waldin books ordered them but didn't get them when the said they would. Man maybe I should just read them, I already read the 4 last orders that are here. Hmm...

17. Suzaku of Hidden Flame

I've been a fan of this series for a long time. I've noticed that the fandom for this series is suprisingly small. The manga series offers some of the most fluid combat in any manga. If you haven't read this series yet I suggest you do. The story starts slow but picks up into a high-flying, gory, slugfest. Also, it features one of the most powerful heroines in manga history.

18. ValentineTheory

I'd have to agree with yah there, It's definitely in my top 10 faves....but unfortunately older mangas like Battle Angel Alita (aka Gunm) and Gunsmith Cats aren't popular around these forums because everyones busy reading up on the constant wave of new releases. It's a shame really, since both of the aforementioned titles have been picked up again by both of the respective mangakas and both of the stories are being continued again after years of being "finished" (Battle Angel Alita: Last Order and Gunsmith Cats: Burst! respectively).
    So far I've been keeping up with Battle Angel Alita: Last Order. I just read Vol 9 a couple weeks ago....even though it's currently deviated from the main plot, it was definitely one of my favorite volumes thus far.

19. Suzaku of Hidden Flame

Lucky, I've only read up to vol. 8. So far, Sechs has got to be my favorite character. He's not really a sidekick to Alita but he's more than a supporting character. He should get his own spin-off series.

20. Tokito

Great artwork, awesome characters and an epic story. (For me) Gunnm is definitely 1 of the best ongoing Manga.

And yeah Alita needs some love on this forum:>

volume 9
    Spoiler:

After reading the flashbacks of Vilma and seeing her fight with Victor I feel really sorry for her. And she became my favourite character :) I really hope we see more of her in the future.

21. ValentineTheory

Oh hell ya!

Spoiler:
    When Vilma first came onto the scene I didn't like her at all, and thought she was another throw away character, but now I like her better than Alita! Her fight scenes with her husband in the past was totally awesome and I love the way she uses her jian (chinese straight sword).

22. alanmh

I was a big fan of both the Gunsmith Cats and Battle Angel animes in middle school, but I just recently started reading the Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm manga and rediscovered how awesome this story is. Now that you guys have mentioned that Gunsmith Cats has a new manga, I should check that out as well, thanks!